Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SedanChair posted:

You haven't really engaged with anything I've said

If liberals or progressives could choose one single issue where their position is clearly and unequivocally winning it would no question be LGBT rights. Trying to take a super pessimistic position that all of this progress is just going to be undone down the line just seems ridiculous when there is absolutely no evidence to back it up whatsoever.

Yes we still has institutionalized racism all of these years after the civil rights movement but things are still better for blacks now than ever and it would be difficult to institutionalize homophobia because rich people have gay kids too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

things are still better for blacks now than ever

Gosh I'm learning all sorts of stuff today!

In general I agree with your points but let's see what a few decades of keeping their opinions to themselves does to homophobic bigots. Racism and anti-semitism are both enjoying a resurgence and culture does not progress towards an ideal. Cultures backslide. I realize I'm speaking in very general terms but so what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

In general I agree with your points but let's see what a few decades of keeping their opinions to themselves does to homophobic bigots. Racism and anti-semitism are both enjoying a resurgence and culture does not progress towards an ideal. Cultures backslide. I realize I'm speaking in very general terms but so what?

Homosexuality is unique in that it crosses any other sort of cultural boundary you can think of (race, class, gender, etc). Homosexuality has been tolerated for quite a while among rich people and educated people (insert Greek joke here), whereas (e.g.) racism has historically been a thing for all levels of class.

Also, where is anti-semitism enjoying a resurgence?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Even supposing you're right, what's your point? Should we all just give up? Are we not trying hard enough?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Nothing like some "human beings are poo poo and the world is cruel" rhetoric just when people in this thread were starting to feel good about some social progress. Excellent timing!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ColdPie posted:

Even supposing you're right, what's your point? Should we all just give up? Are we not trying hard enough?

Crab bucket, we're getting to uppity.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
We've had some major successes this week so I guess it's time for the pessimistic meltdown

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

platedlizard posted:

We've had some major successes this week so I guess it's time for the pessimistic meltdown

Both of the Carolinas are on board now. Who expected that to happen at all before the Supreme Court made it a reality for everyone in the US? The next 2 landmarks will be Texas (because of the population) and Mississippi (because that will mean the fight has been over for the rest of the country for 30 years :v: )

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think the point he is trying to make is that marriage equality isn't the end all of LGBTQ rights. Which it's definitely not, but no harm in pausing for a moment to celebrate. :)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think the point he is trying to make is that marriage equality isn't the end all of LGBTQ rights. Which it's definitely not, but no harm in pausing for a moment to celebrate. :)

I reckon that about covers it. Affluent supporters of civil rights have a history of dismantling their movements after they have received the benefits they sought. Prosperous gay professionals and creatives now have little left to gain in terms of equal recognition under the law. They will retreat to suburban comfort and recognition and the memory of their battles will vanish. People on the margins (and people who derive no benefit from the perpetuation of pro-monogamy bias) will see very little benefit from recent changes to the law.

America is in the process of congratulating itself, though. As usual, that means that everyone who is still left out will remain left out. And in 20 years, married gay couples will distance themselves from other sexual minorities. "I'm not one of those militant gay rights people," they'll aver. Like feminism, the concept of agitating for gay rights will be seen as extreme and unreasonable. That's when the rollback will begin.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

SedanChair posted:

I reckon that about covers it. Affluent supporters of civil rights have a history of dismantling their movements after they have received the benefits they sought. Prosperous gay professionals and creatives now have little left to gain in terms of equal recognition under the law. They will retreat to suburban comfort and recognition and the memory of their battles will vanish. People on the margins (and people who derive no benefit from the perpetuation of pro-monogamy bias) will see very little benefit from recent changes to the law.

America is in the process of congratulating itself, though. As usual, that means that everyone who is still left out will remain left out. And in 20 years, married gay couples will distance themselves from other sexual minorities. "I'm not one of those militant gay rights people," they'll aver. Like feminism, the concept of agitating for gay rights will be seen as extreme and unreasonable. That's when the rollback will begin.

trolling.txt

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Aggrieved, sexless white males will form a new coalition, a Klan of redditors. They will put many people in Congress with the sole objective of punishing everyone who is not like them. You had better get ready for them, because they are the ones who will be orchestrating this rollback.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SedanChair posted:

Why'd you stop coloring? The grown ups are still talking.

I mean I guess you get off on being the stupidest person in D&D but the rest of us find the gimmick tiring.

But thank you straight white male for telling us queers how it is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I mean I guess you get off on being the stupidest person in D&D but the rest of us find the gimmick tiring.

A straight white male came in?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Why did you encourage him to keep posting :negative:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i am the leader of the above klan of redditors

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So he's not a troll he's just a crazy person who saw posts that said 'oh wow this is so good' and gay people being happy that one of our fights is nearing its end, and his fuckin brain turned that to "SO THE WORK IS OVER GUYS", and instead of even focusing on that he just said 'uh no things will get worse for you actually'.

I can't believe the poor guy got called an idiot.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Both of the Carolinas are on board now. Who expected that to happen at all before the Supreme Court made it a reality for everyone in the US? The next 2 landmarks will be Texas (because of the population) and Mississippi (because that will mean the fight has been over for the rest of the country for 30 years :v: )

I can't wait for Texas bc my conservative step-cousin lives there and his meltdown on Facebook will be epic.

He's so evangelical that my highly religious aunt (his step-mom) thinks he's off the deep-end so family holidays are v. interesting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Man I sure love the SedanChair "all the rich white gay people will quit fighting now and everyone else will suffer" quarterly derail.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just got invited to my cousin's wedding so nothing and no one's posting is going to bring me down. :)

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I can't wait for Texas just because I'm spiteful.

That aside, sorry if I missed it up thread but what's the status in Nevada now? Have licenses/weddings started, or are they still farting around?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Icon Of Sin posted:

Both of the Carolinas are on board now.

Just one. The SC Supreme Court ordered that licenses were not to be issued on Thursday.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't wait for Texas because I'm a gay person in Texas.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

(and people who derive no benefit from the perpetuation of pro-monogamy bias)

Wait wait wait, is this your real concern? Polygamy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
No need to start a polygamy derail. That's been hit up plenty of times and the response is it doesn't loving belong in the gay marriage thread and if you want to talk about it start a new one.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't agree with SedanChair but I don't think it's him who should try posting like a grown up. Sedan is at least presenting his very stupid opinion like an adult, meanwhile you're ignoring everything he says in favor of slinging some piss weak burns about instead.

If he's just trolling ban him or whatever, but I don't think making increasingly childish posts where you try and call him a child is exactly the best way to deal with him. Then again I'm a straight white male so I know fuckall of course.

Benjamin Arthur fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 12, 2014

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SedanChair posted:

Ok if you disagree, when exactly in American history were things better for blacks? Obviously racism is still a huge issue but there is a very clear difference when comparing silent/greatest generation whites to boomers to millenials as far as their attitudes towards race are concerned. To deny that there has been progress just because things are still bad in certain areas is ridiculous.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I don't agree with SedanChair but I don't think it's him who should try posting like a grown up. Sedan is at least presenting his very stupid opinion like an adult, meanwhile you're ignoring everything he says in favor of slinging some piss weak burns about instead.

If he's just trolling ban him or whatever, but I don't think making increasingly childish posts where you try and call him a child is exactly the best way to deal with him. Then again I'm a straight white male so I know fuckall of course.

Ignoring what that idiot says is generally the best policy. It's better to laugh and move on the poo poo up the thread engaging him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah I'm not wasting any time "debating" that idiot. It's like trying to discuss nuance with a child.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Quick trip report from :siren:MY WEDDING:siren: in Utah. There were three couples at the clerk's office, including us. The other two were same-sex. :unsmith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
SedanChair just wants this thread to get the same experiences that Amergin gives the USPol thread.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Evil Fluffy posted:

SedanChair just wants this thread to get the same experiences that Amergin gives the USPol thread.

And the same experience that SedanChair gives the Middle East thread.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

And Ted Rall gives the cartoons thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i miss the chik fil a guy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKAuOeEdjPo

From this morning

Perkins vs Olsen

The host definitely came across as someone who does not think highly of Perkins. If I'm not mistaken he is one of the more liberal Fox News hosts

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKAuOeEdjPo

From this morning

Perkins vs Olsen

The host definitely came across as someone who does not think highly of Perkins. If I'm not mistaken he is one of the more liberal Fox News hosts

wow, he got wrecked. so it sounds like perkins is joining cruz in his amendment bid. fun times

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
actually this is contributing to a derail nm

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Perkins posted:

"The (Supreme) Court did a backalley type Roe v. Wade judicial decision by letting the lower courts do their...their evil bidding.

Oh here we go :munch:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Texas posted:

The new filing largely reiterated the same “responsible procreation” argument Abbott made in July, when the state first appealed a a February district court’s ruling overturning the Texas gay marriage ban. In it, Abbott argued marriage among heterosexual partners is more beneficial to society because it encourages married couples to have children and provides an example for other couples to do the same. “First, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in encouraging couples to produce new offspring, which are needed to ensure economic growth and the survival of the human race,” Abbott wrote.

He added, “Second, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in reducing unplanned out-of-wedlock births. By channeling procreative heterosexual intercourse into marriage, Texas’s marriage laws reduce unplanned out-of-wedlock births and the costs that those births impose on society. Recognizing same-sex marriage does not advance this interest because same-sex unions do not result in pregnancy.” In the brief, Abbott concedes that same-sex marriage might have some positive effects for society, like increasing household wealth and adoptions or providing a more stable environment for children raised by gay couples. While there might be benefits, however, he said it’s for the Legislature, not the courts, to decide whether to expand the right to marry.

You know it has to kind of hard to be an attorney and write horseshit like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There are plenty of crazy-rear end lawyers out there. A couple colleges are committed to shooting them out like sewage through a fire hose. There is no shortage of "qualified" legal professionals who are all-in on this stuff.

• Locked thread