Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tezzeract posted:

Also, if anyone wanted a cheaper copy of Borderlands Pre-sequel, it's 35$ on Nuuvem:

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2282-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

You can't add this to your cart though.

Bought my copy with the 25% discount code I got from gmg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Jusupov posted:

You can't add this to your cart though.

Bought my copy with the 25% discount code I got from gmg.

Apparently it needs a Brazilian VPN to add to cart. GMG might be more convenient for people who don't want to muck around with that.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Eruonen posted:

How do you guys categorize your Steam games?

Casual
Diablo-Like
FPS
Metroidvania
Platformer
Racing
Roguelike
RPG
Tower Defense
TV Games
Unplayed

This covers all my bases, some games are in multiple categories, TV games are all the full controller support games to make it easy to pick what to play while in big picture mode.

edit: \/ forgot to list metroidvania, this guys list is more interesting but also slightly confusing

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 12, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Eruonen posted:

Click a game in your steam library. Shift-click or Control-click others to highlight more. right-click on of these and choose Set Categories...

Edit: Oh maybe I should have interpreted the question like the guy above me.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 12, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What kind of games are "BIG MAN" games?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eruonen posted:

Beaten
Obsolete
Garbage
Unbeaten

gently caress sorting 600 games for genre

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I have some of my games tagged as backlog, some as played, some as maybe (stuff like skyrim and ai war which could be played forever if I have nothing else), and most of them untagged because I gave up like 50 games in.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Adventure
CCG
ARPG
DOTA (:v:)
Dark Souls
QCF
FPS
Puzzle
Racing
Strategy
TPS
Tower Defense
Games (for all the assorted stuff I don't have installed)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Eruonen posted:

Marlow Briggs / Darkness 2?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mortimer posted:

Beaten
Obsolete
Garbage
Unbeaten

Similar to this:

Completed
High Priority
Low Priority
Not Interested
Uncategorized

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ryse is a dumb, bad game, and even having received it for "free" from gifting someone FF13 in revenge, I regret the six hours I spent on it. That said, for a few brief seconds I did not regret those hours at all. :black101:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The gap in quality between the four launch classes (which are all fairly boring) and Gaige/Krieg is so huge, I really hope it was indicative of them learning to design better after BL2 and not just of designing the DLC classes better because they were DLC.

Hopefully, the Pre-Sequel classes are more like those two (with their own interesting and unique central mechanic that's reused in all three trees on top of having a class skill) than the four BL2 launch classes (who were just boring gun people with a bland class skill). Nysha or whatever her name is has the lash and the sadism stacks so that's good, and Wilhelm has cybernetics technically (although it's only one tree), but I'm a little worried that Athena/Claptrap will end up as "use your guns until your class skill is off cooldown, press class skill, use guns until off cooldown again" characters who get stuck between buffing their lovely boring gun skills or buffing their class skill.

Well the skill trees have been up for a bit. Athena and Claptrap definitely seem to have their own quirks.

Claptrap has his own stack system (which boosts his damage with one weapon type at a time) and Athena seems to have a bunch of mobility and melee skills.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 12, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Eruonen posted:

Games where you are a BIG MAN doing male power fantasy stuff. Batman, Crysis, Marlow Briggs, Max Payne, Doom, L.A. Noire, GTAs, Brutal Legend, Serious Sams, Call 'o Juarez, Zeno Clash.

After some debate I put the Mass Effects and Metal Slug in there. Women can be BIG MEN too. Comedy entry: Spec Ops: The Line.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Completed
Current Projects
Multiplayer
Endless
Trash
To Play

I like to keep it simple.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Definitive Categories are:
Bad
Worse
Otome

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Beaten
Obsolete
Garbage
Unbeaten

Same here. Beaten/poo poo/Unplayed/To Play First (particularly good or I'm in the mood at the moment)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Eruonen posted:

Played (no category, just the regular games category)
Unplayed (everything i've not played; all installed on my machine)
Persistent (Games that stay on my machine that i come back to time and time again. MMO's fit in here. Games like Street Fighter, etc)
Meh (Everything that i've played and thought were poo poo. I don't use the hide games feature because i need to remind myself of my shame which stops me from buying just any old shite because it's on sale.)
To play (my mini backlog. I put 4 games in here and play each of them simultaneously to mix it up a bit. Once i'm done with the 4 games, i put another 4 in from the unplayed category.)

I also sort my lists by install size, and i plug through my backlog from the biggest installs to the smallest. This way you've got a good random mix of games to play which usually leaves all of the smaller indies to last.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

These Loving Eyes posted:

How badly will I get my rear end kicked in MGR: Revengeance, if I'm not that well acquinted with the games of that genre (e.g. Bayonetta, DMC series etc.)? I recently bought Castlevania: LoS, and had some problems with wrapping my head around activating powers, reaction-blocking and varying my combos. On the other hand, the LoS series is poo poo from start to finish, so maybe I just didn't even want to put that much thought into the game.

I'm just afraid I'll buy Revengeance and can't progress past the first actual boss or something. :saddowns: I'm currently torn between buying Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD edition, which I know I'll love, since I already completed on the Gamecube years back. On the other hand, I'd want to try something new.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who's not very good at Platinum games in general (he found Bayonetta really tough and couldn't progress beyond a certain point, for instance) managed Revengeance just fine. That's not to say he didn't find it difficult, but he enjoyed it and played it all the way through.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eruonen posted:

First I categorized them by genre. Then, to try and make it easier to choose games, I sorted by "Hours Required To Beat" (aka "2 Hours", "3 Hours", "4 Hours", etc). This actually didn't work as well as I thought it would.

Currently I have "Ongoing Games", "Future Games", and "Badventure Games" that I intend to play with a walkthrough (which will speed them up rapidly)

I also created a category for "Sidelog Queue" because there are some games I played through where I ignored the side missions/DLC and I intend to go back to them, like Arkham Origins, FEAR, rear end Creed IV, etc.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I will probably never categorize my Steam games beyond favorites / nonfavorites because of how Steam would always delete them the next time you signed in anyway.
Obviously finding stuff is really drat difficult

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Why do you guys have a category for trash? My categories are just "finished" and "unfinished", and "finished" includes anything I'll never play.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Because opinions change over time, and not everyone has like five hundred games off of bundles alone.

Now an "ehhhh :effort:" category and a separate "Why the gently caress did I pay dollars for this" category make some sense.

I usually just hide stuff if it's third-party DRM or if a future version of the game (including discrete GOTYs) categorically outclasses it. EDIT: Oh yeah and dedicated server apps.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 12, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Helith posted:

Try it on normal first and then if you feel you're struggling switch to easy. It'll probably be worth watching this video which explains how to play better than the ingame tutorials do
The games a lot of fun and absolutely worth persevering with.

He sounds so angry when he's telling you to buy the dodge move. Why? (It's making me crack up, though :xd:)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Eruonen posted:

I just use the search when I'm looking for a game, why bother categorizing anything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morter posted:

He sounds so angry when he's telling you to buy the dodge move. Why? (It's making me crack up, though :xd:)

Because one of the major complaints when MGR came out was that there is no dodge move, even though there totally is a dodge move and the game's tutorials are just garbage and don't tell you where it is or that it exists or how to use it. The dodge move isn't called "dodge", it's called "defensive offense", which to some people doesn't sound like a dodge move at all so they didn't buy it and thus that complaint was spawned.

Parrying is also incredibly poorly explained.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The game does explicitly tell you to go and buy new moves at one point, takes you right into the store screen, and it's designed so that the only thing you CAN afford is Defensive Offense. It's laid out so that you're drawn to buy it. The game does everything short of forcing you at gunpoint to buy the drat move, and yet a lot of gamers thought they were being smart by skipping it. Turns out? It's absolutely goddamn essential.

When a Platinum game goes 'Hey, this thing? You should look at this thing, right here. Now', you probably should pay attention. They're complex, but not deceptive.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
+Boob Physics
+No Boob Physics

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dominic White posted:

The game does explicitly tell you to go and buy new moves at one point, takes you right into the store screen, and it's designed so that the only thing you CAN afford is Defensive Offense. It's laid out so that you're drawn to buy it. The game does everything short of forcing you at gunpoint to buy the drat move, and yet a lot of gamers thought they were being smart by skipping it. Turns out? It's absolutely goddamn essential.

When a Platinum game goes 'Hey, this thing? You should look at this thing, right here. Now', you probably should pay attention. They're complex, but not deceptive.

That is still unnecessarily vague. its not handholding to just say here is the dodge move you should probably buy it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm starting Inversion, a Gears of War clone that got a PC port. The game crashes randomly between checkpoints, and crashes 100% of the time you reload a checkpoint from the game (like after a death). I've got 25 minutes played and have had five or six crashes so far. First game I've ever had crash problems with.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is still unnecessarily vague. its not handholding to just say here is the dodge move you should probably buy it.

Also even after you buy it there's absolutely no explanation of how it works or how you even use it. DW it's going to respond by saying "well it's in the move list" but I had no idea the game even included a move list until this thread talked about it.

That said, the dodge move is in no way necessary to beat the game on normal.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Not (wilfully) deceptive, just poor design.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Rising's camera is also awful, like DMC 1 getting hit by crap offscreen bad. I need to get back to my PS3 copy but I have a feeling I'm just going to be playing it for the writing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Eruonen posted:

"my games" is where stuff goes when I'm currently playing it, usually

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Papercut posted:

Also even after you buy it there's absolutely no explanation of how it works or how you even use it. DW it's going to respond by saying "well it's in the move list" but I had no idea the game even included a move list until this thread talked about it.

That said, the dodge move is in no way necessary to beat the game on normal.

There's a move list?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Accordion Man posted:

I'm just going to be playing it for the writing.

Hopefully you aren't expecting much on the Metal Gear side of things. Because it isn't. It's Twin Snakes/Devil May Cry kickflip a pizza garbage.

Some people want that. Presumably. I'm not one to cast aspersions. But don't go in looking for can love bloom on a battlefield stuff, you won't find it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Authorman posted:

Hopefully you aren't expecting much on the Metal Gear side of things. Because it isn't. It's Twin Snakes/Devil May Cry kickflip a pizza garbage.

Some people want that. Presumably. I'm not one to cast aspersions. But don't go in looking for can love bloom on a battlefield stuff, you won't find it.

You're awfully disparaging towards a fun as gently caress script. No one said Jhumpa Lahiri ghost wrote it or anything.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah, there's a bunch of ways to categorize games, but just keep it simple or else you'll never utilize it.

I think it's important to have a "Bundle Dump" catagory. Just dump all those random lovely bundle games (especially all those hidden-object / mobile ports / pixelart "adventure" / etc) that you have no idea what the gently caress they are in there. It'll reduce probably about 20%-50% of clutter and make life a lot easier.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I also created a category for "Sidelog Queue" because there are some games I played through where I ignored the side missions/DLC and I intend to go back to them, like Arkham Origins, FEAR, rear end Creed IV, etc.
Admit it, you're never going to go back to those :)

Or at least I wouldn't. I've learned if I don't do everything I wanted to do / finish it entirely shortly after "beating" it, I'll never ever go back since I've long forgotten what it was/controls/whatever

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 12, 2014

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Drifter posted:

You're awfully disparaging towards a fun as gently caress script.

It's not a Metal Gear script. It's a Devil May Cry script. This does not necessarily speak on the quality of the script, just the style.

I mean unless you have taste.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Authorman posted:

Are you going to hold up MGS as a script for time immemorial? MGS is good because it is dumb nonsense, MGR is good because it is dumb nonsense with cyborg ninjas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus Armstrong is a very Metal Gear Villain.

• Locked thread