Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The problem is asking the hospital how closely they observed safety procedures is like asking a security guard how carefully they patrol the day after a robbery. They're going to say they did everything properly just like the ER staff said they did everything properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's not clear that transmission happened from improperly removing gear from what I've read so far, are you just assuming that's what happened because it's the most likely scenario?

Yes. It isn't a magic virus that can teleport through PPE, and we've been treating it for ~40 years now and have a very good idea of how it spreads. And how it spreads is contact to bodily fluids in one way or another, that means inadequate gear or contact during the doffing process (rarely, exposure during aerosol generating processes).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes I understand how it is spread, I just think that leaping to the assumption that a health care worker screwed up removing gear is premature and severely underestimates the myriad ways people are capable of loving up in these situations.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
Do they have observers watching in the decontamination area and instructing personnel to take off PPE step-by-step, in accordance with a checklist?

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes I understand how it is spread, I just think that leaping to the assumption that a health care worker screwed up removing gear is premature and severely underestimates the myriad ways people are capable of loving up in these situations.

It isn't a leap, it's that or they failed to wear the proper PPE at all. Or were exposed in the community, in which case we're completely hosed.

This isn't her fault at all - this stuff is really hard to do properly and only stresses how poorly we are prepared for this.

re: observers and checklist, there should be. Doffing/donning requires two people and has associated checklists. If they were used, who knows.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CSPAN Caller posted:

Do they have observers watching in the decontamination area and instructing personnel to take off PPE step-by-step, in accordance with a checklist?

In Spain I remember reading they record everyone decontaminating now. Experience is the son of loving up I guess.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's not clear that transmission happened from improperly removing gear from what I've read so far, are you just assuming that's what happened because it's the most likely scenario?

It seems to be the most likely scenario by a few orders of magnitude. The only other way is that the patient's bodily fluids got transmitted through a needle prick or hole in the protective suit.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

EtaBetaPi posted:

It isn't a leap, it's that or they failed to wear the proper PPE at all. Or were exposed in the community, in which case we're completely hosed.

I readily confess I am not terribly familiar with what these suits are made out of and the kinds of force you would need to puncture one - but is it within the realm of plausibility that it could have been worn correctly, donned and removed correctly, but compromised during her visit to Duncan via a puncture or tear? Like is it possible for such a thing to happen without the wearer noticing?

Also what do you mean by 'community' exactly?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pryor on Fire posted:

There are four primary ways of getting infected: putting your gear on wrong, taking it off wrong, or something crossing the barrier while you have the gear on or getting infected outside of the care setting. Category three gently caress ups - like needle sticks - are more obvious. It is vanishingly unlikely that she got infected out side of the care setting. So we're down to 'there was a gently caress up in donning or doffing the gear.'

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I readily confess I am not terribly familiar with what these suits are made out of and the kinds of force you would need to puncture one - but is it within the realm of plausibility that it could have been worn correctly, donned and removed correctly, but compromised during her visit to Duncan via a puncture or tear? Like is it possible for such a thing to happen without the wearer noticing?

Also what do you mean by 'community' exactly?

Community = outside of a care setting.

The suits are tough. It is possible to cut them (precautions are taken to prevent this, for example the outer gloves and apron are made of tougher plastics.s), but its most likely to happen via a needle stick injury. Healthcare workers are obsessive about them, and that would have been noticed.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 12, 2014

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Maybe they should modify the protocols for PPE removal, like spray everything down with bleach before removing it?

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
deleted.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

0<R<0.1 in US hospital settings.

Is that so...

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Maybe they should modify the protocols for PPE removal, like spray everything down with bleach before removing it?

AFAIK, the PPE for ebola in a medical setting doesn't involve wearing a full mask, and the little paper ones will fall apart if you spray them with bleach.

Spatter from a spray could have a risk of aerosolising the virus as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/ppe/ppeposter1322.pdf

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Probably, yeah.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Aromatic Stretch posted:

AFAIK, the PPE for ebola in a medical setting doesn't involve wearing a full mask, and the little paper ones will fall apart if you spray them with bleach.

Spatter from a spray could have a risk of aerosolising the virus as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/ppe/ppeposter1322.pdf

The MSF ones specify that operation should continue when wet - and if you watch the MSF videos they spray people with chlorine solution as they leave the high risk zone. I suspect that what is happening is that unless you submerged yourself in bleach its not perfect (they soak the gear for ages in high strength solutions to decontaminate it) so you still need to be drat careful when taking the gear off. They also obsessively wash their hands

The MSF solution of having someone shout at you as you go through the process to make sure each step is done right is a good one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Probably, yeah.

Well we're at one nosocomial infection with 7-10 patients (Brantly, Writebol, the two here, the cameraman (and a few more?) in Nebraska, the NIH patient and of course Duncan, so we may actually be no better than R=0.1 (lower in Level 4 facilities, higher in general hospitals?)

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well we're at one nosocomial infection with 7-10 patients (Brantly, Writebol, the two here, the cameraman (and a few more?) in Nebraska, the NIH patient and of course Duncan, so we may actually be no better than R=0.1 (lower in Level 4 facilities, higher in general hospitals?)

At one transmission out of seven patients the data is way too sparse. The p-value for r>=.1 is .52.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That is not a statistically significant R value.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

At one transmission out of seven patients the data is way too sparse. The p-value for r>=.1 is .52.

It is true that it is early. But it clearly indicates that it is not something hospitals can afford to take lightly. The recommended decontamination procedures are what they are for a reason.

EDIT: As if the Spanish nurse wasn't indication enough. The critical takeaway from both cases is that hospital transmission absolutely can happen if procedures are not followed to the letter.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 12, 2014

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yeah speaking of that Spanish nurse:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/spanish-ebola-nurse-in-better-state-and-talking/ar-BB8I5Pk

Guess she pulled through!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

I bet she can't wait to get home and see her dog.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Well poo poo...

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

joeburz posted:

I feel horrible for laughing at this.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

joeburz posted:

They killed my dog, meow i'm out for revenge!

Wait...

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

joeburz posted:

You mean they haven't told her that they murdered her dog? They would never get away with that here in the States.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

For all the people saying it will never spread here, it's not that contagious, etc. - here you have transfer from the sole Ebola patient in the region to an HCW wearing full PPE, in a hospital that has the magnifying glass on them for loving up previously and has had hand-holding from the CDC.

This is a warning sign that should not be dismissed, and something that should not be taken lightly.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Helicity posted:

For all the people saying it will never spread here, it's not that contagious, etc. - here you have transfer from the sole Ebola patient in the region to an HCW wearing full PPE, in a hospital that has the magnifying glass on them for loving up previously and has had hand-holding from the CDC.

This is a warning sign that should not be dismissed, and something that should not be taken lightly.

Sure. Except, the health care workers are becoming infected while trying to treat the patient at his most infectious. Meanwhile, the patient has zero energy. They can't move.

If people infected with Ebola ran around biting people like 28 Days Later, then I'll be concerned about a large-scale outbreak in the US.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

swampcow posted:

Sure. Except, the health care workers are becoming infected while trying to treat the patient at his most infectious. Meanwhile, the patient has zero energy. They can't move.

If people infected with Ebola ran around biting people like 28 Days Later, then I'll be concerned about a large-scale outbreak in the US.

Sawyer repeatedly got up and forcefully removed his IVs and moved around a lot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Sawyer repeatedly got up and forcefully removed his IVs and moved around a lot.

Where did you see this?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where did you see this?

many places in the Sawyer coverage, here's the first one I found on Google.
http://newtelegraphonline.com/my-ebola-story-nurse-infected-by-patrick-sawyer/

quote:

But many reports had it that Sawyer was not a cooperative patient and was removing his IVs. How did that happen?

Of course, he was troublesome and that was why he infected some of the doctors. That IV cannula is the only thing that will give the patient energy. So the hospital did not want him to die. It was fixed to his vein but he kept removing it and blood was splashing everywhere. In his room, there was blood everywhere and he vomited anyhow as well. He knew what he had but nobody knew from the onset. Even before he could be given a bath, about five men would have to hold him. It was when his actions became too much that Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh went in to caution him. She told him that if he continued being uncooperative, we would stop treating him. Then, he agreed not to remove the IV again.

"Five men would have to hold hold" != "too weak to move around at all".

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

swampcow posted:

That's not even remotely what I said.

The message I constantly heard was "it's not that contagious, they'll have it under control, it won't come to the US, it won't come for a long time, it won't spread in the US". poo poo keeps happening that is "unlikely". I hope the MO isn't "hope for the best, plan for the best", because even just a 1:1 patient/spread will cause nurses to walk off the job, and rack up some incredible care/cleanup bills.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

I was not told that he was positive then. It was after nursing the man on Wednesday that I read his folder; but we had already started hearing and reading the news. They did the test and wanted to confirm. We started using the protective gear that morning.

Does this mean she worked on him before precautions? The writing is ambiguous.

quote:

He gave me $30 and I called one of the guys to help him change it and buy a recharge card for him. It was when I wanted to scratch the card for him that I removed my gloves which I had been wearing all along. After scratching the silver panel, I forgot to wear my gloves again and collected his phone to help him load the airtime.
It was when I was loading that I remembered that I was not wearing my gloves. I had to drop the phone and put my gloves back on. That was the first contact I had with him. Also, when I was fixing his IV fluid, the blood was pumping from the cannula l. His blood touched me on my gloved hand. Those were the contacts I had with him.

So...incredibly lovely but she hosed up protocol badly there.

edit: ok my mistake, I thought this was describing the dallas nurse that became infected but its a different patient.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2014

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where did you see this?

Now you know the origins of ragepiss.

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/2506-sawyer-s-final-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange

quote:

FrontPageAfrica has now learned that upon being told he had Ebola, Mr. Sawyer went into a rage, denying and objecting to the opinion of the medical experts. “He was so adamant and difficult that he took the tubes from his body and took off his pants and urinated on the health workers, forcing them to flee.

Ebola Roulette fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2014

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Helicity posted:

That's not even remotely what I said.

The message I constantly heard was "it's not that contagious, they'll have it under control, it won't come to the US, it won't come for a long time, it won't spread in the US". poo poo keeps happening that is "unlikely". I hope the MO isn't "hope for the best, plan for the best", because even just a 1:1 patient/spread will cause nurses to walk off the job, and rack up some incredible care/cleanup bills.

I know that wasn't what you said. My point is, when the person is most infectious, they are also immobile. Meaning, the window that they're able to live normally while also being infectious is probably small.

It therefore makes sense that Ebola patients are more likely to infect caregivers than non-caregivers.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Helicity posted:

Let's all quit our jobs and prepare for the end times! Hallelujah!

Or you can stop imagining nightmare American Ebola zombie invasions and donate to people doing poo poo about Ebola where it is demonstrably a nightmare.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I donated $50 bucks and solicited you DnD goons to match a page ago... So far know takers, but lots of "the end is here, let's go hide!"

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

ZombieLenin posted:

Let's all quit our jobs and prepare for the end times! Hallelujah!

Or you can stop imagining nightmare American Ebola zombie invasions and donate to people doing poo poo about Ebola where it is demonstrably a nightmare.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I donated $50 bucks and solicited you DnD goons to match a page ago... So far know takers, but lots of "the end is here, let's go hide!"

Saying something shouldn't be taken lightly is apparently the same as saying we're all going to die. I'll keep that in mind.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Seph posted:

That is not a statistically significant R value.

Gotta love how everyone comes out of the woodwork to point the sample size on the day that a health care worker gets infected, while ignoring the conversation the conversation the day before where that same sample size was being used to claim nosocomial infection rate was significantly below Rn=0.1. I mean, that's the context of Trabisnakof's quote that you are defending.

Failures in donning/doffing PPE are exactly the kind of thing I was pointing out about how CityName General Hospital might not have a nosocomial reproduction rate any better than MSF. They're not tricked up in PPE 24/7 like doctors in outbreak zones, they don't have the practice following the procedures, and they have to divide their focus between dealing with a highly infectious disease and delivering normal medical care like setting bones and birthing babies. Normal GP stuff and normal ER stuff are way different from how you need to treat potential ebola cases.

Everyone loves to poo poo on MSF because their showers are made of plywood, but it gets the job done. If a big outbreak happened in the US, our system wouldn't be at 100% either by the time we shifted our health care system to focus on treating ebola instead of broken bones.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 12, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Paul MaudDib posted:

Gotta love how everyone comes out of the woodwork to point the sample size on the day that a health care worker gets infected, while ignoring the conversation the conversation the day before where that same sample size was being used to claim nosocomial infection rate was significantly below Rn=0.1. I mean, that's the context of Trabisnakof's quote that you are defending.

Failures in donning/doffing PPE are exactly the kind of thing I was pointing out about how CityName General Hospital might not have a nosocomial reproduction rate any better than MSF. They're not tricked up in PPE 24/7 like doctors in outbreak zones, they don't have the practice following the procedures, and they have to divide their focus between dealing with a highly infectious disease and delivering normal medical care like setting bones and birthing babies. Normal GP stuff and normal ER stuff are way different from how you need to treat potential ebola cases.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

... wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does ebola make you act erratically?

• Locked thread