Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

bandman posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that kind of career shift? Did you go back to school at some point, or did you have some sort of experience prior to working in kitchens that made you qualified for your job?

I'm trying to figure out a new career direction and while I have a degree, it isn't exactly in a really broad field (earth and atmospheric science). Environmental has kicked me in the beanbag one time too many and I'm so loving done. I know enough about computers and such that I could do basic IT-type stuff, but I have no way to prove it to a potential employer.

Disclaimer:
I have some experience with this from the hiring end. It is in the high tech sector (semiconductors) and is not applicable to all fields or even all mangers.
/Disclaimer

As someone that hires people the first thing I look for is if a candidate has worked on related fields as a hobby/interest/previous experience. I have hired several people that have made major career shifts and the common factor is that they were genuinely interested in the base technology. The number people that come directly out of school (Bachelors/Masters/PhD) and don't even know how to use a scope, resistor colour code (or what resistor even looks like in one memorable case) is staggering. One of the interview tests I use is to take a candidate on a tour of the R&D lab and if they don't start drooling, I don't hire them.

Honestly, if a resume crossed my desk that had someone with relevant hobby experience with electronics and no degree/certs, I would at least talk to them. Most of the time they are at least interested in learning. The best people on my team are people that started out looking at related fields on their own.

The main problem I have is getting these types of resumes past the HR gauntlet and onto my desk. This is where the degree/certs come into the picture. If you don't have the checklist items, you will not make it past the round file on the way to the hiring manager's desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

I'm in need of some funny cat pics tonight

No. No cat pics.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I'm in need of some funny cat pics tonight

Yes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only dick pics.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How the hell did they to that switch, and how'd it go over?

"Ja, hier ist ze keys to ze car."

"But this isn't..."

"Ja, ist german auto, sehr gut! SEHR GUT! BMW, VW ALL DEUTSCH, RAUS!"

(Rent4Ring?)

Na Sixt, this is my road car rental so it isn't that big of a deal. I had to go with RentRaceCar.de this time for the track rental, we'll see how they are in an hour or so, I checked out the cars last night and was pretty disappointed to see stock seats/belts. We used Rent4Ring last time and they were excellent.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I can do cat pictures.

These belong to my sister:

The one liked my shoe lace

The other liked this hair curler

and has a funny ear

This is the last of three cats my mom had, and it died recently because it was old:

And this is my grandma's cat that is awesome:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cute, thank you :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those who haven't seen this year's Bathurst 1000 live, make it your job to get your hands on a copy of it. Car race of the year

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Those who haven't seen this year's Bathurst 1000 live, make it your job to get your hands on a copy of it. Car race of the year

Agreed. But skip up to the race halt. After that it honestly goes from good to holy poo poo amazing.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Decided to wander into the fog this morning to take some pictures and found someone's back yard with a pile of cars. Can anyone ID these?

Bad picture but the one on the right looked intersting

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Five years and $14,000 later and I finally just drove it home.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The one in the third photo is a beetle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

God drat this thread this week. Today I wake up and Rhyno's back, drunk. And 13" is getting a honey badger as a pet.

One of these I think is a good idea.'

Then this

MullardEL34 posted:

Five years and $14,000 later and I finally just drove it home.

In Ohio... AI is the best forum.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

freelop posted:

Decided to wander into the fog this morning to take some pictures and found someone's back yard with a pile of cars. Can anyone ID these?

The green one (?) is a Volvo P1800, the red one behind looks to be a.. Porsche 924. The last one next to the Bug I'd throw a guess as a Ferrari Dino? Haha, definitely not, but I have no clue.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

God drat this thread this week. Today I wake up and Rhyno's back, drunk. And 13" is getting a honey badger as a pet.

Then this

It started out as this for $800 in 2009. For some reason the thread was closed:

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 12, 2014

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Then this

I Agree, Ai is the best forum.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 13, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MullardEL34 posted:

Holy poo poo man great work.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

MullardEL34 posted:

I hope you saved the progress photos for that project thread that you're about to start because holy poo poo we need to see this.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fingerling posted:

The green one (?) is a Volvo P1800, the red one behind looks to be a.. Porsche 924. The last one next to the Bug I'd throw a guess as a Ferrari Dino? Haha, definitely not, but I have no clue.

Are you colorblind? (Not an insult)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not drunk. I was drunk when I made my video the other night.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

Are you colorblind? (Not an insult)

Yerp. :saddowns:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Going to the Monson Hill Climbs in an hour. Standby for a sweet image dump this evening.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

freelop posted:

That has to be a kit car :staredog:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's definitely a kit-car (windshield trim style and overall windshield shape is wrong, one central mounted wiper instead of 2 crossed ones, chrome headlight ring is too large...) but it's a pretty convincing one.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 12, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

That has to be a kit car :staredog:

Looks like the front end of a Ferrari Dino, but the details are different (bumper mount points, wiper placement), so yeah, kit car, probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it I forgot to grease the pins when I did my brakes. God drat it god drat it god drat it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I've been feeling pretty good and not depressed lately, but I still can't shake the urge to sleep all day, every day. I went to bed early last night, woke up late, and am already back in bed because I'm so exhausted. On my last day off, I took a seven hour nap like it was no big deal. I wish I could actually get things done on my days off instead of sleeping.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Partially blame the weather. Also look at your thyroid, just to be sure.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What a trip and weekend. Back to my hotel to pack and pass out, hop on a train then bus to the airport tomorrow morning at 6:45. If I'm lucky I'll be at my house by 8:30pm...at least it's only a 6 hour time difference.

Amazing day at the Nürburgring despite the track opening two hours late due to fog. Place is like a car show all day that has a race track attached. I made myself stop lapping after completing the 6 laps I had booked, managed to do them in under an hour and the best part is I didn't crash. Had one little pucker moment being too eager with cold tires on a cold and damp track. Pretty mad at myself for not bringing the GoPro this time, didn't expect to have time to get laps in this trip.

Next weekend Road America!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

Um be careful I don't like going to the doctors but that was really pushing it. I'm glad you're on the way now.

Well, the ICU in this place isn't pretty. But the bed is comfortable.

I want to track down whatever keeps making ding sounds in the hall and smash it, but I'm tangled up in wires and tubes. :argh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

I want to track down whatever keeps making ding sounds in the hall and smash it, but I'm tangled up in wires and tubes. :argh:

Jesus christ dude, what do you have? :gonk:

Glad to see you're still among the living.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ICU at my local hospital has big private rooms with heavy soundproof glass doors and a tv on the wall, which is dumb because half of the people in there are out cold anyways.

The regular hospital rooms are cramped as hell with little 9 inch CRTs that you have to pay $8/day for them to activate.

When i was stuck in there in february, the person i shared the room with pretty much had their whole extended family in there at once. and the kids were screaming and the adults were trying to talk over them. I was ready to stab somebody, but we were in the hospital already so it would just have been a waste of time.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Just as long as you're not at Dallas Presby.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

No wanking while connected to the monitors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Just as long as you're not at Dallas Presby.

gently caress NOPE. Don't want Ebola.

This is the biggest single room I've seen, but also pretty run down. Tiny rear end TV that gets about 20 stations.

I have unlimited data and Netflix, but the charger I have with me is poo poo.

Terrible Robot posted:

Jesus christ dude, what do you have? :gonk:

Alcohol withdrawal with a side of flu. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Glad you're not dead STR :toot:

Despite having a mapped drive to a NAS and repeatedly explaining that he can and should store important poo poo there my Dad decided to store all his important tax and other poo poo exclusively on a loving ancient refurb 80GB HDD which has now just completely died.

I was about to buy him a new computer for xmas and set it up correctly too. gently caress.

• Locked thread