Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Honestly, I think the best/cheapish way is to grab a medium or large technic set. The small ones tend to have few gears, but something like 42024, 42006 already has a decent selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technic tends to be fairly cheap on bricklink too, especially axles and pins. Gears can be all over the place.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xzzy posted:

Technic tends to be fairly cheap on bricklink too, especially axles and pins. Gears can be all over the place.

That too but I find it rare for a shop to have a large selection of pieces, and unless you know exactly what you want to do its also hard to figure out what to order.
I do tend to clean out the gears from any shop I am placing an order from, you just cant have enough gears.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat my real-life responsibilities.

I think the price might actually be pretty reasonable. He doesn't know if they are all complete, but it looks like the vast majority of pieces are there, and most have instructions. There are several sets visible that regularly go for $100+ on ebay & BL.

If you're a callous reseller bastard, you could snap that lot up and probably make 50-100% profit with some work completing the sets and selling individually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that's a heck of a haul. I couldn't see myself paying two grand for all of that but it's certainly worth drooling over.

I see a couple sets with the wrong printed bricks but that's it.. the photos are pretty grainy and hard to see details on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That is the perfect thing for Captain Invictus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's awesome and all and I'd love to get all that transparent stuff in pieces that straight up don't exist anymore, but I'm more of an M:TRON, Blacktron, Space Police, Ice Planet, Spyrius kinda guy.

Also $2,000 is helluva much

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6948869/this-is-lego-minecraft

Lots of high-detail shots of the new Lego Minecraft sets are out. I like the look of the new armor bits they made for Steve, and the tools/weapons have an interesting textured style to emulate the "pixely" look of them ingame.

Good luck ever finding this set ever

edit: hahaha, pumpkin head option in one of the sets.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6948869/this-is-lego-minecraft

Lots of high-detail shots of the new Lego Minecraft sets are out. I like the look of the new armor bits they made for Steve, and the tools/weapons have an interesting textured style to emulate the "pixely" look of them ingame.

Good luck ever finding this set ever

edit: hahaha, pumpkin head option in one of the sets.

These sets are going to be ridiculously popular.

Can anyone tell how the Creeper is constructed? It almost looks like it has 1x2 tiles on opposing sides of a plate. Which could mean the Holy Grail of Lego pieces now exists. Or it could be an entirely custom piece. Notably, I count several brand-new pieces:
Square minifig heads
Square animal heads (appear to be designed like a bracket)
Pixeled pickaxe, shovel, sword, axe, bow & arrow
And whatever the Creeper is built from

I'm actually a little surprised the animals are all brick-built. I assumed they would just block-ify exsiting animal molds.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Pyroclastic posted:

These sets are going to be ridiculously popular.

Can anyone tell how the Creeper is constructed? It almost looks like it has 1x2 tiles on opposing sides of a plate. Which could mean the Holy Grail of Lego pieces now exists. Or it could be an entirely custom piece. Notably, I count several brand-new pieces:
Square minifig heads
Square animal heads (appear to be designed like a bracket)
Pixeled pickaxe, shovel, sword, axe, bow & arrow
And whatever the Creeper is built from

I'm actually a little surprised the animals are all brick-built. I assumed they would just block-ify exsiting animal molds.

It looks like the creeper body is a new piece with 1x2 tiles either side - the enderman in the link appears to have a similar setup.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cool, more sets I don't have to buy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm going to be buying a lot of these for a Minecraft mad kid. Am considering just buying the whole range and stashing them in case they end up being impossible to find later.

I wonder if they'll do a complete Minecraft CMF series like the did for the Simpsons. It seems like a good fit and it would sell like loving crazy.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 9, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Has the internal style guide for minifigs ever been leaked or released?

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Ugh, those Minecraft sets will be insanely popular. And they're exclusive to one chain of toystores here in Norway for the first 6 months, which means I won't get to sell them until spring 2015. I hate it when Lego does that over here.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I can't believe how huge a property Minecraft has become. It used to be adult geeks, now it's mostly kids I hear playing it. The creator must be so loaded considering the game probably cost :5bux: to produce.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

djfooboo posted:

I can't believe how huge a property Minecraft has become. It used to be adult geeks, now it's mostly kids I hear playing it. The creator must be so loaded considering the game probably cost :5bux: to produce.

He sold it to Microsoft for 2.5 BILLION dollars.

So yeah.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It is insane to think how much that game sold for. The whole franchise is worth so much now, even the merchandizing to kids alone.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I have no interest in the actual builds, but the new DC Heroes stuff coming out early next year is so inticing for those minifigs. Between two sets you can get most of the JLA - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, and Cyborg. And some crappy car or plane or something, who cares. :saddowns:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I want the new Wonder Woman design so badly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

He sold it to Microsoft for 2.5 BILLION dollars.

So yeah.

HAHAHAhahaha...
:suicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know if you realize this grandpa, but it's the third best-selling video game of all time, outselling Super Mario Bros's lifetime sales by well over 10 million copies in a handful of years. The only things that have outsold it are Tetris and Wii Sports. To say it's an industry juggernaut is putting it lightly. Microsoft estimates they'll have made back the 2.5 billion investment by mid-2016, if that tells you anything. Honestly, it was a brilliant move on their part, and Notch's too, since he can now forget about that and do whatever he wants.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Is this the thread where we talk about BIONICLE coming back or am I in the wrong thread?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Zorglorfian posted:

Is this the thread where we talk about BIONICLE coming back or am I in the wrong thread?

I'll join you in saying I am super loving hyped for the new BIONICLE kits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're basically just Hero Factory reskins. Not really excited for them. I liked Bionicle when it was Technic-made action figures, not action figures to the exclusion of basically all else. Metru Nui was when it peaked and went downhill.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh man, Rocket polybag with baby Groot? It's the SDCC Rocket fig. Might be TrU exclusive. Saw on fbtb this morning. Maybe out in Canada already.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently the Shell promo sets are now in Belgium. I know this because I did 2 U turns on the E42 to get them.

All I had to see was buy 20€ worth of diesel and then ask in the most broken French I could muster if I could buy the entire set because I'm a Canadian tourist who's going back home soon.

She made this face :3: and handed me the pile.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Apparently the Shell promo sets are now in Belgium. I know this because I did 2 U turns on the E42 to get them.

All I had to see was buy 20€ worth of diesel and then ask in the most broken French I could muster if I could buy the entire set because I'm a Canadian tourist who's going back home soon.

She made this face :3: and handed me the pile.

Not for long, Lego cancelled the partnership with Shell today.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Rage posted:

Not for long, Lego cancelled the partnership with Shell today.

They said they wouldn't renew it when it expired and haven't said when that would be. It could go on for quite a few more years.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Captain Invictus posted:

Microsoft estimates they'll have made back the 2.5 billion investment by mid-2016, if that tells you anything.

Yeah they aren't doing that. The Minecraft guy made $100 million off of it last year. Which is great, but it also shows how Microsoft hilariously overpaid him (likely with piles of offshore tax-free cash).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah they aren't doing that. The Minecraft guy made $100 million off of it last year. Which is great, but it also shows how Microsoft hilariously overpaid him (likely with piles of offshore tax-free cash).

That's a misquote. They didn't say they'd make back their money, they said they'd make more money from their acquisition of Minecraft then if they had just kept the $2.5 billion and collected interest.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ars sent a guy to seattle's brickcon, gallery here:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2014/10/gallery-brickcon-the-biggest-lego-convention-weve-ever-seen/

But what made me want to post it was this:

Those curves. :stare:

Even knowing how it was done it's still pretty impressive use of the technique.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So, I have 4 18-gallon totes of bricks to go through. Are there any kind of good, recommended ways to start sorting? Are there any good containers other than something like the stackable multi-drawer units that are sold everywhere?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Don't sort by colour so you end up with a bin full of black pieces in which it's impossible to find that one piece you need.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

shymog posted:

So, I have 4 18-gallon totes of bricks to go through. Are there any kind of good, recommended ways to start sorting? Are there any good containers other than something like the stackable multi-drawer units that are sold everywhere?

Get a pack of Solo drink cups and maybe some dixie cups. Use them as your while-sorting storage. That way you can have a hundred sorting cups around you. For me, I then transfered them to varying sizes of Ziplocs, which then went into drawers.

I started by dividing the sort into thirds: plates, bricks, and everything else. Then take one of those thirds, and then start dividing that up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you watch football, it's a good time to sort due to all the downtime. :v:

These are my plastic bins of choice:

Briefcase style compartmented storage you can get at hardware stores is pretty good too. Ziploc bags are a good intermediate option, many different sizes can be had for really cheap.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I really like the Lego Lego Convention.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Took me a moment to notice that this castle was actually being stormed by xenomorphs

Only in Lego...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

mitochondritom posted:

The next set of the collectable guys, I think the best one is the Hun warrior or maybe the wizard.

What you can't see (maybe it's been mentioned, I'm way behind) is that the wizard's cape has sweet silver stars printed on it. Love that guy. Spent my $50 TRU gift card from Christmas on a bunch of those, after pretty much ignoring the Simpsons set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The quality on the figures is definitely up on this run too, especially compared to the Simpsons.

I'd love to get the prospector but gently caress pinching bags. :emo:

I did get my wife the rock star though because she's a hair band addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'm pretty desperate for those figures but can't find them for sale anywhere, and purchasing them online doesn't scratch that instant impulse purchasing itch :(