Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've used both of these freebies, I wouldn't really describe them as natural sounding though (the analogx one is usable with some processing):

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/Audio/sayit/Freeware.htm

http://blog.wavosaur.com/text-to-speech-vst-vst-speek/

E: also thanks for the responses re:wavetable synths, I've got a bunch of old CM cds kicking about so I'll go through them this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've mucked around with both of those. Some of the built-in speech synth stuff on OSX is actually pretty good too, particularly the Alex voice. lately I've been occasionally hearing a fairly natural-sounding female speech synth used in some commercial stuff, and I've been wondering what it was. The most recent time was on a bus in Osaka, giving English-language announcements. I wish I had a sample to post, but unfortunately I don't.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Vocaloids sure have come a long way since the awful-sounding Miku :monocle:

Excuse you Miku is the world's number one princess and the world is hers ok.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Actually it may have been one of the LumenVox voices.

http://www.lumenvox.com/products/tts/

They don't really seem to have a licensing setup that would make sense for someone using their software for musical purposes, though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If you want a go at the other end, off the retro deep end, Plogue has chipspeech coming out sometime in the future:

http://www.plogue.com/

quote:

A faithful emulation of all major classic speech synthesis chips of the early 1980′s, and a few surprises.
It’s a synthesizer, not a Vocoder.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up the Komplete Kontrol S49 and it's an excellent piece of hardware. I came to it after hating the Novation SL Mk2, which felt cheap and toylike to me.

I have no such complaints with the Kontrol. The keys are nice-feeling but not overly stiff. The aftertouch is a little weird, but that's not a huge thing. The integration with Komplete is nice. I kinda wish it had some faders on it, but I can find something else to cover that. I think my desk workflow is either going to be Kontrol + Maschine or Kontrol + whatever else I get with some faders on it depending on if I'm making sounds in maschine or sequencing in ableton.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Here's my OSCtober thing

Haven't had a chance to mix it properly but otherwise I'm happy with it. Arpeggiators are fun guys.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
My OSCtober "entry"

Made entirely on an OP-1, I got really frustrated at the string engine because it pops, like, a lot. Actually pops are all over the place in this and also mixing is a pain in the rear end with only four tracks. I really like it though so I might do a mixdown in Ableton later.

edit: the final mixdown. It actually sounds halfway not-rear end. Except for the part where I can't play in time to save my life. Mixing doesn't fix lack of talent. :v:

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 14, 2014

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Wanted to put something up for OSCtober. Here is a track I'm currently working on created with the Makenoise Shared System and my homemade Atari Punk Console. However, everything was sequenced in Ableton Live. It still pretty rough mix-wise too

https://soundcloud.com/devin-powers-music/sketch-2-test-mix-1

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

SineRider posted:

Wanted to put something up for OSCtober. Here is a track I'm currently working on created with the Makenoise Shared System and my homemade Atari Punk Console. However, everything was sequenced in Ableton Live. It still pretty rough mix-wise too

Sick.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Another OSCtober thing (HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!): https://soundcloud.com/portervance/modular-test-sh-101

Wiggling an SH-101. Turing loop provides the sequence, Brain Seed processes the sequence, EKO provides the note shifting, my patience provides the sound! I'm playing with the SH-101 mostly but towards the end I shift some of the notes using the Voltages which lead to some interesting reinterpretations of the same sequence.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SineRider posted:

Nice stuff. Love the MN SS.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is anyone using an Expert Sleepers module? I'm running Live and have a SPDIF connector and was looking as the ES-3 but that seems to be discontinued and now I've got to buy multiple modules. Any recos?

OSCtober says I should throw something out there. Here's a WIP of a new project I'm working. This has some Leipzig-S bass, Predator lead thats been Ohmicided to hell and some Maschine drums. https://soundcloud.com/manifest-apathy/an-unreliable-narrator-demo-3

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 14, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Is there an iPad app that'll let me trigger and modulate the volume of multiple long audio loops simultaneously? i.e. MP3 files that are possibly up to an hour in length, although I'd accept something limited to only ~15 minute long files.

Bonus points if the app has locator scrubbing, pitch, and reverse playback functionality. (I really, really wish Samplr was more usable with source material longer than 1 or 2 bars.)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mutable Instruments is stopping production on their DIY synths (Anushri, Shruthi XT, Midi Pal, etc) so if you've been on the fence you better choose soon.
https://www.facebook.com/mutable.instruments/posts/641532732628137

breaks
May 12, 2001

The ES3 is the ADAT one and is definitely still in production. I have one plus the ES6 input expander and they work great! The ES6 is great with Bitwig's audio mod modulator, easy control of VST parameters using CV from the modular. Only thing to be aware of is that both ins and outs have some DC offset, no biggie but a minor annoyance. Can't speak for the non-ADAT modules but heard good things.

Keep in mind the software is separate. I find it kind of fiddly and I don't use it much, mostly on some homemade Reaktor ensembles for controlling stuff. I do use the note output sometimes and it's fine.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Right right, I meant the ES-4. It looks like its been replaced by the ES-40, which then needs to get coupled with an expander. Ha.

But cool, thanks for the heads up. I stupidly bought a MIDI module before looking into it too deeply.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 14, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
about to get an influx of cash and I'm on the fence between the Ultranova and the Roland System-1. Any pro/cons or alternate suggestions in that price range for a beginner?

also, I put together one of these last night: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1929

kind of like a diy monome, I guess (which I haven't actually used, so I don't know how it compares). looking forward to tweaking the software and hacking some knobs into it. :science:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

net work error posted:

Mutable Instruments is stopping production on their DIY synths (Anushri, Shruthi XT, Midi Pal, etc) so if you've been on the fence you better choose soon.
https://www.facebook.com/mutable.instruments/posts/641532732628137

K gonna be parting with my RARE VINTAGE SHRUTHI-1 for $$$ on ebay three years down the line.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just bought this in hopes of providing an alternative stereo chorus for my JX-3P with less noise. Heard it talked about on some forum when I was looking around, and glad I found a demo that uses a synth. lovely blues riffs probably don't give me the best impression, and rarely do they have the effect on as subtly as this guy has. I'm pretty impressed at how nice it sounds. Hopefully its as similar with the 3P, and close to the original. I have a Roland DEP-5 with chorus/delay/verb, but it just doesn't have the same sound. I don't hate the noise from the 3P unit, but I don't want that plaguing everything I make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2A0ord8obo

oh, and control over speed depth is good too.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oooo that is a pretty unit. The JX3p chorus is part of the instruments charm but I definitely agree it can get over saturated. The best choruses just add a touch of vibe to the sound but I wouldn't mind a unit that could sound like a phaser when you tune the settings a certain way.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I like it too and it has a seashell to your ear soothing sound, but sometimes you don't want that. I wonder if that happens over time or if they left the factory with that.

I did see that there was an actual third party Juno chorus unit but it was like 230 euro.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ROTTEN COOKIES
PAGING ROTTEN COOKIES
The time to concatenate all the entries for the now ended synth thread challenge is NOW!

No rest for the wicked, synth goons. The next challenge is upon you. Once a year, usually Rupert Buttermilk, compiles a SomethingAwful Christmas album. This year, we synth rush it. Deadline is whenever the deadline for the xmas album is, usually late Nov./first week Dec.. There are no other stipulations, use what you have/what you want, though I would like to point out that, much like photoshops, the more subtle xmas parodies are usually the better ones.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

about to get an influx of cash and I'm on the fence between the Ultranova and the Roland System-1. Any pro/cons or alternate suggestions in that price range for a beginner?

System-1 is pretty much a monosynth which attempts to sound like old analogues and has knobs. Ultranova is a poly that can sound like a lot of different instruments, but is mostly menu driven. You'd have quite different reasons for wanting them and they don't overlap. I would pick the Ultranova as a first synthesiser just because it can be so many different sounds.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Interesting. The knobbliness was why i was so attracted to the System-1. I thought it had 4-voice polyphony though?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It does

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Double postin', I have a Volca Keys and Volca Beats for sale, if anyone's interested in picking them up. $100 each or I can do a package deal for $180 shipped state-side. Thought I'd tell you guys before putting it up on the craig's list. Looking for an MPC1000 if anyone wants to trade / sell me one.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
About to move in with one of my friends who is also into synths (more than me I might add), really excited to set up a studio in the apartments extra room. I still only have a microkorg (still meh) but he has a number of syntns and I'm looking for a rack to hold them.

I was thinking about something like this -

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AFrame3?adpos=1o1&creative=55644138841&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtvihBRCd8fyrtfHRlJEBEiQAQcubtBGQJAp1bAGYCiD5yITZlSSpMPZjqMNN0XjYX4CbWy0aAm0Z8P8HAQ

but I wanted to know if any goons had any personal experience with any products like this.

Also still in the market for a larger synth (preferably 88 keys). My budget is around 400$. I was thinking about getting a roland w-30 (I like old sampling keyboards) or a JX10. What would you guys recommend looking at (like I've mentioned before in this thread I am a synth turbo pleb).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/sets/osctober

The people have spoken! They wanted beeps and boops! The goons have responded! We have made poo poo robot farts that resemble music!

I just did a ctrl+f for soundcloud and put the relevant stuff on the playlist. If you submitted stuff via other sites, I didn't pick it up. Also, if I somehow missed your song, I'm super sorry!

Can't add it to the OSCtober playlist since it's private.

Sizone posted:

ROTTEN COOKIES
PAGING ROTTEN COOKIES
The time to concatenate all the entries for the now ended synth thread challenge is NOW!

No rest for the wicked, synth goons. The next challenge is upon you. Once a year, usually Rupert Buttermilk, compiles a SomethingAwful Christmas album. This year, we synth rush it. Deadline is whenever the deadline for the xmas album is, usually late Nov./first week Dec.. There are no other stipulations, use what you have/what you want, though I would like to point out that, much like photoshops, the more subtle xmas parodies are usually the better ones.

You heard the man. Get jolly with yer Junos and Jupiters, get merry with your Moogs and Maschines, and eggnog wasted with your Waldorfs.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

Ain't no reason I'm not gonna try and do both.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is a great idea, I'm in. I'm not really in full-on music composition/production mode right now (don't have time for that), but I've got some unused sketches I could build on. Or maybe I'll make a new version of one of my old tracks from my winter-themed album last year and call it something else so you'll be none the wiser :haw:

Also yes, gently caress the christmas album :colbert:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If there's a specific theme or sample pack put out I'd take part in that as I have no idea how to have a holly jolly synthy Christmas.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

sleigh bells instead of hi hats obv

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

September is a horrible month for me and I've been transferring over everything to an SSD and finally got everything up and running again so I'd be down for this.

I'd more than likely do some polyrythum stuff with piano, stings, and clock noises with a drone in the background.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I'll try to get in on the fall/winter thing. I haven't tried much in terms of ambient with the old gear, so that might be fun. I may or may not be running a microphone out my window and placing it in a tree...

on a similar note, this is one of my favorite electronic/electroacoustic (but also folk) albums that evokes such strong fall imagery and if y'all don't know him check 'im out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGwTk97Yfhw

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

I'm in. I need something to motivate me to actually finish more tracks.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'd also be in with this synth goon album, though we'll see how busy I am since grad school is amazingly busy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was supposed to do stuff that's definitely not making the track for the goon album but now it's several hours later and I somehow have made about a minute of some really good poo poo. gently caress.

Idea: If we put it on Bandcamp, maybe we could donate any money we happen to earn to some swell cause? Y'know, the spirit of Christmas and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I am down for the Not Xmas goon record.