Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I got another upgrade for Android Wear today, and now my battery life on the 360 is even better.

63% left over 15 hours with medium-heavy usage. I think I'm going to try ambient mode tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Three Olives posted:

It's round, that's interesting I guess, I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch which gets a day+ at full brightness with always on screen.

G Watch R is where its going to be at. Just counting the days.

Edit:

There's also this crazy rear end thing which I've decided I will wait until some reviews hit before thinking about buying one. If it is good though, hot drat, yes this is what I will have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndycU_dUHNQ
https://kairoswatches.com/

orphean fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

It's round, that's interesting I guess

I don't think "interesting" is the right word to describe people's taste in jewelry. However you want to spin it, it's first and foremost a piece of jewelry.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

orphean posted:

There's also this crazy rear end thing which I've decided I will wait until some reviews hit before thinking about buying one. If it is good though, hot drat, yes this is what I will have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndycU_dUHNQ
https://kairoswatches.com/

"* Please note, the photos and video are intended for visualization purposes only. Actual production model may vary in size and design details. The transparent display is 40% to 60% transparent depending on the type of display you choose (TOLED Dot Matrix vs. TOLED ICON). In contrast, the video shows a 100% transparent state during off mode. This was done to show the design of the watch. Actual photos are available below at Prototype to Production section of the website. Thank you for your understanding in this matter."

40% transparent sounds kind of bad. The prototype pictures are also tiny and make the screen look bad.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch

It absolutely is.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

w00tazn posted:

40% transparent sounds kind of bad. The prototype pictures are also tiny and make the screen look bad.

Yeah that's why I want some hands on reviews before I go one way or the other. They had a couple prototype pictures where it looked okay. I love the concept though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

Android Central is saying iHeartRadio for Wear is dropping on the 15th, I can't comprehend why anyone would go to ClearChannel for personalized internet radio but since the 15th was the rumored release date for the next big Wear upgrade that adds some new evidence for it.

It's round, that's interesting I guess, I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch which gets a day+ at full brightness with always on screen.

I think you need to see it up close in person. The attention to detail is really impressive.

I'm really disappointed by "ambient mode." It still turns the screen completely off all the time, which I hate. The tricks the watch has to do to get 12 hours out of the underpowered battery is by far the worst part. I was at 22% after 7.5 hours today.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
In my opinion square watches look dumb with traditional watch faces.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm really disappointed by "ambient mode." It still turns the screen completely off all the time, which I hate. The tricks the watch has to do to get 12 hours out of the underpowered battery is by far the worst part. I was at 22% after 7.5 hours today.

Did you get the software update? In settings, you should have Software Version 4.4W1, tap it and it should show build# 1.0.1.144822. With Ambient off, I'm getting two full work days out of my 360. Heck, yesterday my battery only dropped to 77% between 9 AM and 9 PM.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Argyle posted:

Did you get the software update? In settings, you should have Software Version 4.4W1, tap it and it should show build# 1.0.1.144822. With Ambient off, I'm getting two full work days out of my 360. Heck, yesterday my battery only dropped to 77% between 9 AM and 9 PM.

Yes but I was using the gently caress out of it as one tends to do the first day. I also need ambient mode. Luckily screen turning on seems pretty consistent, unlike my Gear Fit (45 degree angle for full screen, flat for ambient).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yes but I was using the gently caress out of it as one tends to do the first day. I also need ambient mode. Luckily screen turning on seems pretty consistent, unlike my Gear Fit (45 degree angle for full screen, flat for ambient).

Ambient doesn't make sense because the time doesn't update

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Ambient doesn't make sense because the time doesn't update

Seems to be the right time for me? I just watched it change in ambient right now.

Step counter seems better than the Gear Fit/Live too. Tested it today on my favourite beach path and got about 25% fewer steps than previously.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 11, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Moto 360 got its first real test today - one of my 12.5 hour shifts. All I can say is luckily I have a short commute, because I just got home - 8am to 9:30pm - with 14% remaining. Any less would be unacceptable, considering I sometimes drive downtown after work and like to use the watch to skip songs without looking down.

That's with ambient mode on, a black watch face, and I'd say about 30 texts received and about 15 voice texts sent out. No other use besides looking at the time, which I have to do a lot. I'm still concerned since I could easily use it more.

Worst case scenario is I'll get a Qi charger for work, but charging my watch during the day (not at the desk a lot) is not fun and shouldn't be necessary.

My Gear Live once lasted two full work days when the micro usb fell out of the lovely charger thing and never charged.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's with ambient mode ON, so that's pretty good for the 360, man.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/sepm-lg-g-watch-124442

$159 for the G Watch. I've used it for a bit now and for $229, no but I would pay $159 for it today.

grilldos posted:

That's with ambient mode ON, so that's pretty good for the 360, man.

Oh and no guessing on if it will get through the day, I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/sepm-lg-g-watch-124442

$159 for the G Watch. I've used it for a bit now and for $229, no but I would pay $159 for it today.

Oh and no guessing on if it will get through the day, I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

Too bad it's half as good looking as the 360. Seeing as how these are definitely luxury items, I'll be waiting for the next generation where I can get something that looks good and has solid battery life.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Too bad it's half as good looking as the 360. Seeing as how these are definitely luxury items, I'll be waiting for the next generation where I can get something that looks good and has solid battery life.

I'm a boring Gap/Polo/J.Crew/Etc dresser and I've run the G Watch by my bitchy fashion forward friends and none of them have said anything negative about it, it doesn't look geeky at all. Actually the only comments I've ever gotten about it have been "Oh wow, is that one of those internet watches? Can I see it?" from people like cashiers or guys at bars.

I get the watch as jewelry concept but I'm a convert since the Pebble, the smartwatch is surprisingly useful and practical for a concept that was sort of written off as just a superfluous fashion accessory after the days of everyone having a cellphone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I'm a boring Gap/Polo/J.Crew/Etc dresser and I've run the G Watch by my bitchy fashion forward friends and none of them have said anything negative about it, it doesn't look geeky at all.

There's a difference between "not looking as good" and "looking bad".

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I think the next G Watch iteration has nailed it frankly.

Looks like a normal diving watch, always on display, no cutout at the bottom of the display. I prefer it to 360 personally.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

orphean posted:

I think the next G Watch iteration has nailed it frankly.

Looks like a normal diving watch, always on display, no cutout at the bottom of the display. I prefer it to 360 personally.

They have very different looks. A diving watch doesn't really fit with my daily clothes for work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^^^I thought the flat tire was a dealbreaker but now I can't imagine the big bezel trade off. Looks better in person and with some of the watch faces that work around it.

Got tired of the stone grey band already so I dyed it. It soaked it up easy

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silver with a black band looks pretty hot.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Ambient mode with a watchface that updates weather kills my watch. Stock watchface I'm fine. I'm calling bs on your watch being able to do always on and last the day unless you're not taking about the 360. It kills mine in hours

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ambient mode with a watchface that updates weather kills my watch. Stock watchface I'm fine. I'm calling bs on your watch being able to do always on and last the day unless you're not taking about the 360. It kills mine in hours

I do use a stock face (see above) which supposedly helps. I dunno why I would lie - the battery was super important to me and I didn't buy one until all the claims of the update fixing it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I do use a stock face (see above) which supposedly helps. I dunno why I would lie - the battery was super important to me and I didn't buy one until all the claims of the update fixing it.

So you can set it to always on (it never sleeps or dims) and get a day out of it?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

So you can set it to always on (it never sleeps or dims) and get a day out of it?

The screen in ambient mode can go black depending on the angle of the wrist. Basically, if the gyroscope thinks it might be visible to the wearer, it'll show the watchface; otherwise it says black.

Which means that if you're typing, for example, the screen stays on.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Technogeek posted:

The screen in ambient mode can go black depending on the angle of the wrist. Basically, if the gyroscope thinks it might be visible to the wearer, it'll show the watchface; otherwise it says black.

Which means that if you're typing, for example, the screen stays on.

He said always on, which I take as the screen always being on. That rapes my battery.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

He said always on, which I take as the screen always being on. That rapes my battery.

The terms are pretty much interchangeable, though.

EDIT: As in the Android Wear app calls it "Screen always on" while the watch calls it "Ambient mode".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Eh? I clearly said ambient mode. Review the posts above? There is no "always on" option with Moto 360. They are not the same thing.

This is fresh off you claiming that ambient mode doesn't change the time. Do you have a 360 or something else?

Technogeek posted:

EDIT: As in the Android Wear app calls it "Screen always on" while the watch calls it "Ambient mode".

The phone app says "ambient screen," when synced with a 360 at least.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 13, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Reverse Centaur posted:

The phone app says "ambient screen," when synced with a 360 at least.

It still says "Screen always on" for me, also with a 360. I know it was supposed to have changed, but for whatever reason it didn't.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

You said it there. Listen, I'm not trying to be difficult, I just didn't understand how you could keep your watch face on all day and get great battery life. Yes, ambient can get all day battery life, but using the trick to keep your screen on the whole time kills your battery.

Also ambient doesn't update the time on certain faces. I've since reset my watch and am not going to bother using custom watchfaces or launchers until the new update releases and just stick to stock to see how the battery fairs. People on XDA are getting 2 days out of their watch with pure stock.

E: Swipify launcher is the name of the app that will allow your screen to stay on.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 13, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You said it there.

Three Olives has a G watch.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Three Olives has a G watch.

Annnd there we go. Confusion over. Happy Thanksgiving.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Also Three Olives is a completely different person.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I just got a Samsung Gear Neo a few days ago, but haven't been able to use it fully. I had a Note 2, but after 3 replacement phones due to hardware problems in a week at Best Buy they gave me the value of my phone. I have the Note 4 pre-ordered, so it's "hacked together" for now with my Note 8 tablet which should be supported, requirement wise. I get use out of the heart rate sensor, IR blaster, pedometer, and notifications as well as a few basic apps. Messaging is a no go since it's not on the tablet. I did have trouble deciding between the Neo and the 360 because of the wireless charging. And then the IR blaster was a major bonus, which was almost the deciding factor. And since all my devices are Samsung, that was another factor with the S Health features of the Note 4.

I pretty much get through the day with it right now, and have about 20% left when I go to bed at night. I can give a better report Friday when I pick up a compatible phone.

mango sentinel posted:

Does anyone have a Samsung Fit? I kind of like how it looks, but I'm not currently using a Samsung phone. There's a workaround but I'm unclear of the limitations of doing that.

Close, but I have a Samsung Gear Neo. Technically, my tablet should work with it since it's a Note 8 and it meets all of the requirements, but I had to change my build.prop to make it work. I switched it to an S5 and was able to load apps and everything to it. It also let me change the layout from the Gear Manager of the main screen with 3 shortcuts and the time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I guess I missed that this was running Wear, I thought it was some random ASUS OS.

Swappable bands, attractive, OLED, stainless steel case, Snapdragon 400, if this has a decent battery and an ambient light sensor this might be the Wear watch to hold out for, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

I guess I missed that this was running Wear, I thought it was some random ASUS OS.

Swappable bands, attractive OLED, stainless steel case, Snapdragon 400, if this has a decent battery and an ambient light sensor this might be the Wear watch to hold out for, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

It's actually gotten quite a bit of attention. I considered it but two things killed it for me. No wireless charging and it likely won't feel as nice on the wrist.

I saw a few first impressions of it that talked about the lug to lug distance and how it doesn't feel as natural on your wrist since a wider flat area is present.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

Swappable bands, attractive, OLED, stainless steel case, Snapdragon 400, if this has a decent battery and an ambient light sensor this might be the Wear watch to hold out for, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Yes, but can it do this

(the answer is, yes it can)

I think the Asus brand scares a lot of people off, probably unfairly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yes, but can it do this

(the answer is, yes it can)

I think the Asus brand scares a lot of people off, probably unfairly.

How do I get that on my watch? Because I think I want that in my watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Len posted:

How do I get that on my watch? Because I think I want that in my watch.

Download Facer on Google Play, go to facerepo.com on your phone and search for peefart. Then go back to Facer, select it from your download folder, et voila.