Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

DoctorWhat posted:

[*] the bechdel test joke was goddamn incredible
I'm still not getting this one.
The bechdel test requires a work of fiction to have two female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man. Clara and Whatsherface spend a while talking about the death of her grandmother, then in another scene they spend 20 seconds on The Doctor then throw out "Seriously, we're stuck in this carriage, probably all night, and all we can talk about is some man". Is this what you guys are talking about? If so, someone's comedy-meter needs calibrating. I'm not sure who's.

Gaz-L posted:

Much like the looms/Other, who was the Woman In White, is Martha a Rutan argument...
Seven years and people are still quoting me on that one :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stonefish posted:

I'm still not getting this one.
The bechdel test requires a work of fiction to have two female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man. Clara and Whatsherface spend a while talking about the death of her grandmother, then in another scene they spend 20 seconds on The Doctor then throw out "Seriously, we're stuck in this carriage, probably all night, and all we can talk about is some man". Is this what you guys are talking about? If so, someone's comedy-meter needs calibrating. I'm not sure who's.

Yes, they HAD already passed the Bechdel Test earlier in the episode - which is WHY it was actually funny, and not just patronizing/defensive/apologetic on the part of the writers.

The Bechdel Test has been a sizable point of argument among Doctor Who critics in recent months and it was nice to see that get a nod, especially after the DISASTROUS and extremely noticible failure of Hide in that regard last year.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Stonefish posted:

I'm not sure who's.

Doctor who's

I have never heard of the belcher test and im pleased I haven't.
e:loving predictive spelling on my phone.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I am legitimately surprised at how good that episode was... 'Mummy on the Orient Express' is not a title that instils confidence. Easily the best of the season so far.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So this is Jamie Mathieson's first Doctor Who script? But he also wrote the next one? This guy's got my attention.

Highlights of this episode:

* Jelly babies in a cigar case, played absolutely straight
* The genuinely Agatha Christie-esque build-up of the first half
* Everything Frank Skinner said, including cleverly removing himself from suspicion ("Hey, you don't think I could be the mummy, do you?") just at the instant I started to suspect him
* Gus's voice
* The Doctor claiming he'd have the creature dead to rights in sixty seconds if it came after him, then following the hell through on that statement

But most importantly, those 66-second death sequences were incredible, particularly once the mummy starts going after named characters. Moorhouse's death is practically a one-minute play, it's got a whole emotional arc crammed into it, as he tries to science his way out of dying and then realises it's not going to work. The same goes for Quell. The same goes for the Doctor's encounter, which is more of a one-minute Doctor Who episode, starting from a bizarre creature about which almost nothing is known and finishing with the Doctor deducing the creatur'es motivations and saving everybody at the last split second.

And stepping back and looking at the concept on a practical level, timing and editing the dialogue to fit into 66 seconds must have been tricky for everybody: writer, director, actors, editors. It wouldn't surprise me if they were filming with real stopwatches running.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

qntm posted:

And stepping back and looking at the concept on a practical level, timing and editing the dialogue to fit into 66 seconds must have been tricky for everybody: writer, director, actors, editors. It wouldn't surprise me if they were filming with real stopwatches running.

I doubt it, they'll just have filmed enough coverage from different angles to cut it down exactly as needed, just so long as the sequences were all about a minute.

Sorry to ruin the illusion.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Noxville posted:

I doubt it, they'll just have filmed enough coverage from different angles to cut it down exactly as needed, just so long as the sequences were all about a minute.

Sorry to ruin the illusion.

:argh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Doctor who's

I have never heard of the belcher test and im pleased I haven't.
e:loving predictive spelling on my phone.

The Belcher Test: two women have a conversation that isn't about burgers, butts, boys, or saying "All Riiiiiight!" :v:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Twelve is funny. He's like "the end justifies the means, get it done!" but then it turns out it was all a part of his plan all along and no one was in any danger except that everyone was totally in danger all the time.

Also I liked the Portal reference.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really like Twelve's shying away from anything emotional, played perfectly by his uncomfortable "can we talk about planets now". I dunno, that line probably struck something more in me than it meant to, but I really liked it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ms Boods posted:

We spent the episode arguing over who the voice of Gus was; Mr Boods said, 'It's some tosser who excels at being unctious' -- ah, John Sessions strikes again. No surprises there.

The real 'No WAY, that was HIM?!' cross-checked with IMdb was the mummy-professor-expert*: Mr Time has done strange things to Christopher Villiers.

2014:

and as a dewy, yet fit, lad in Top Secret

Couldn't find an Kings Demons one

*Initially my comment was, 'This dude is so in the Geoffrey Palmer role.'

This is amazing, I always wondered what happened to Nigel and it looks like he's had a really long career.

Still laughing over the jelly babies in the cigar case.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

HD DAD posted:

I really like Twelve's shying away from anything emotional, played perfectly by his uncomfortable "can we talk about planets now". I dunno, that line probably struck something more in me than it meant to, but I really liked it.

Can't deal with emotions/has trouble connecting with people, likes trains, carries jelly babies in a cigarette case when he's being fancy. I think we we all know what this means.

The Doctor is actually six years old.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, since I forgot to mention it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, it was very well acted (though I have to admit that the engineer or worker or whoever he was was creepy and wouldn't have made a great companion) and I loved the setting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pwnstar posted:

Can't deal with emotions/has trouble connecting with people, likes trains, carries jelly babies in a cigarette case when he's being fancy. I think we we all know what this means.

The Doctor has aspergers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Prurient Squid posted:

Also I liked the Portal reference.

What?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

"We apologize for any distress you may have just experienced. Grief counseling is available on request. On the bright side, I’m sure you’ve all collected a lot of data. Well done, everyone!"

Glad he didn't offer cake as well though. All things in moderation.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
After this episode especially it will be a HUGE disappointment if Missy is Clara in some form.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For anyone else with access to it, is this episode not up on Xfinity On Demand for anyone else? I could just throw down a couple bucks to buy it on Amazon but I'm wondering why. It's usually up day after. It didn't air late or something did it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I did some pondering and decided that since most everyone seems to have liked this episode, that I will say something nice about Moffat for a change:

I thoroughly enjoyed the 50th anniversary special. Yes, it was nonsense, but it was the good, fun kinda nonsense that I expect from a multi-Doctor story. :)

Also I like that he gave Paul McGann a chance to play Eight one more time on TV (well, sort of), and that he had some very nice things to say about McGann in general. I also had no problem with his decision to use a hidden/lost regeneration as the "War Doctor", either.

And I liked that he said some wonderfully nice things about Big Finish and how he encourages actors on the show to take part in BF productions and such, too. And he did a nice little job sending himself up a little in "The Five(ish) Doctors", also.

There, I said a bunch of nice things about Moffat, to counterbalance my general dislike of the show under his tenure. :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

For anyone else with access to it, is this episode not up on Xfinity On Demand for anyone else? I could just throw down a couple bucks to buy it on Amazon but I'm wondering why. It's usually up day after. It didn't air late or something did it?

No, it's not up for me either. Weird. Aired as normal on BBCA last night as far as I could tell. The Intruders finale (which airs immediately after) is up, so who knows?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

docbeard posted:

No, it's not up for me either. Weird. Aired as normal on BBCA last night as far as I could tell. The Intruders finale (which airs immediately after) is up, so who knows?

I can see it, so maybe it was just late.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, really liked that one, a nice surprise after last week's turd. I even liked Frank Skinner and he usually annoys the hell out of me. I assume we're going to find out who Gus is at some point?
Yeah it's probably a season-arc thing, remember there was also an unknown instigator in Deep Breath (who invited The Doctor and Clara to the restaurant).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

Here's a full version of Don't Stop Me Now by Foxes and it's magical. There's also some very brief clips of what seem to be future episodes so spoiler warning I guess?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it was pretty clear that GUS was an AI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dabir posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that GUS was an AI.

Probably, but that still raises the question of who programmed him/who wants the mummy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The AMA with Jamie Mathieson pretty much says that he went into the background of GUS and few other characters, but they got sliced in script editing.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I actually really like it when there are questions left unanswered at the end of the episode. It makes the universe seem larger, somehow, if the doctor isn't omniscient and tying every loose end into a neat bow.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

qntm posted:

Writers have a natural sense of timing because scripts are layed out, and the font used for them is set, so that one page equals roughly one minute of screen time. I've got to the point now for example where I can look at a script and get its runtime pretty close just off thickness or weight.

Directors and actors would just film enough coverage from enough angles that the editor would have an easy job getting the timing down. They possibly slowed down or sped up line deliveries etc in read throughs but once on set they definitely wouldn't have been using stopwatches.

Then the editor would've had an even easier job assembling everything to run the correct length. Once you've got some experience editing it basically becomes child's play to mess around with timing, quick cuts, dialogue editing, etc so making a scene last exactly 66 seconds wouldn't be a challenge at all unless you were given poo poo material to work with.

In reality nothing on Doctor Who is actually that complex, even if the end results may seem it.

Also, this episode was loving amazing. Best of the season. More please.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SirSamVimes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

Here's a full version of Don't Stop Me Now by Foxes and it's magical. There's also some very brief clips of what seem to be future episodes so spoiler warning I guess?

Man, i can't stand that at all. The entire song is about speed and energy (hence why the original was all kind of staccatoish) and this cover just slows it down way too much.

Adding a female voice and a jazzy/swing melody does not always make a good cover of a song.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Man this season has been consistently good quality. Still don't feel like Capaldi is the doctor but I think that'll come with time?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nuzak posted:

Man this season has been consistently good quality. Still don't feel like Capaldi is the doctor but I think that'll come with time?

...If that scene with him facing the mummy didn't convince you, I'm not sure what you want from The Doctor?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

I assume we're going to find out who Gus is at some point?

I'm pretty sure Gus was just a computer running the train test and blew up with the train. We might find out who made him though.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
So much boob in this one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

fist4jesus posted:

So much boob in this one.

I like Frank Skinner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pwnstar posted:

It's the reverse of Matt Smith's "old man who looks like a young man" thing.

Although I can't help but think a lot of it comes from building on the idea of a doctor with a terrible bedside manner.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AndyElusive posted:

This is from a few pages back but it was awesome seeing how when The Doctor speaks to himself he gets to speak to previous incarnations.

If I were the sort to maintain "headcanons", Twelve-talking-to-previous-Doctors-in-his-head would be one of them. What a spectacular bit. While the costume aesthetic had many crying Pertwee, and the change to a more abrasive personality brought comparisons to Colin, it's clear to see now that T-Bakes is Capaldi's preferred Doctor to "call back to". Learning yo-yo to recreate The Ark in Space, or filling a cigar case with jelly babies...

Nonetheless, every night I pray for an indignant bit of rising-inflection double-repitition of an offending turn of phrase, or for Capaldi to step out of a doorway, point confidently in one direction, then swan off with equal confidence in the exact opposite.

Speaking of the latter, I might have a Thing to show the thread soon...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All y'all forgetting the Hartnell appearance too :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

I am legitimately surprised at how good that episode was... 'Mummy on the Orient Express' is not a title that instils confidence. Easily the best of the season so far.

Yeah I was scared that it'd be Voyage of the Damned all over again but that mid-episode twist was a doozy.

Helps that Capaldi and Coleman killed it. Good range of emotions from both of them.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

All y'all forgetting the Hartnell appearance too :colbert:

Hartnell's appearance lasted the whole episode thanks to that tie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I was scared that it'd be Voyage of the Damned all over again but that mid-episode twist was a doozy.

It's the episode that Voyage of the Damned should have been.

• Locked thread