Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The curved edges of the 6 introduce a new dynamic into the screen protector debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

withak posted:

On the other hand, I feel like I have not noticed a good percentage of people saying those things.

I can't help it if you're not that observant. ;)

For the record, I've had screen protectors on all of my 6 generations of iPhone but haven't bothered yet with putting anything on my 6+. A combination of not wanting to bother and also the available options not going to the edge of the screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Please don't confuse scratches in the fingerprint resistant coating for scratches in the glass itself.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

carry on then posted:

Please don't confuse scratches in the fingerprint resistant coating for scratches in the glass itself.

True but scratches are scratches. It's not like you'll be able to re-coat the front glass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

INTJ Mastermind posted:

True but scratches are scratches. It's not like you'll be able to re-coat the front glass.

Maybe someone will make these things work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H2GFUW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_e-Roub09YKVS7

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Everytime a new iPhone comes out everyone is all "this one doesn't need a screen protector! I throw it in my pocket with keys and purse and everything!" 2 months later you look at your friends phones that never had one and all you see are huge visible scratches. Maybe not a lot but annoying regardless

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't put your phone with your keys. The people that do that must also throw their spoons at their TV screens or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

carry on then posted:

The difference hardly matters to the user. The screen is only as scratchproof as its weakest element.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

And the solution is to slap a cheap, even easier to scratch layer of plastic over the top?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

carry on then posted:

And the solution is to slap a cheap, even easier to scratch layer of plastic over the top?

Lot easier to replace than the oleophobic coating. They make screen protectors out of glass these days, too.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I open this thread on my iPad and my girlfriend is reading over my shoulder.

"They're all fighting about screen protectors? Jesus Christ."

Anyway, I go sans-protector on my 5S.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Screen protectors are for children who haven't yet learned to take care of their possessions.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Lot easier to replace than the oleophobic coating. They make screen protectors out of glass these days, too.

You know whats easier then that?

Doing nothing and enjoying a well made phone that does not scratch or bend easily.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I keep my iPhone® 6+ in a quartz-crystal box lined with only the finest Parisian velvet, stuffed with goose down and gilded with tassels from the Orient.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

withak posted:

Screen protectors are for children who haven't yet learned to take care of their possessions.

I love these broad sweeping comments. I am indifferent to the screen protector thing but you can baby your phone and still get scratches on the screen.

I personally put my phone in my right front pocket with nothing else in it and have a few scratches on my 2 year old 5.

People lead different lives. I have a case for my phone that I put on when I go home so that I don't have to worry about my 2 year dropping my phone after stealing it somehow. That doesn't make me a child who can't take care of his phone.

Just let people do whatever they want to feel safe about their purchase.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cases and screen protectors are like condoms. It's safer to use them, but feels better without them.

I have gone caseless yet again on my 5 and just grip it firmly when I take it out of my pocket or put it back in. It just feels better.

I'm probably going to use an armband when working out on my 6 and otherwise keep it caseless. Speaking of which, does anybody know a good one?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

withak posted:

True. Also hmmm yes let me put a screen protector on that already looks like the dog rear end and will look even worse day by day.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

fleshweasel posted:

Cases and screen protectors are like condoms. It's safer to use them, but feels better without them.

Best summation I've ever read of this argument.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

fleshweasel posted:

Ok, I don't wanna get phone AIDS. :ohdear:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Can people post some pics of the scratches they've gotten on their iPhone 5 or 6 or whatever? I've basically never noticed any scratches on any of my iDevices and I can't tell if maybe I'm just blind or maybe I just don't give a drat about tiny basically indistinguishable little marks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
If people want to use screen protectors and cases then let them do it. Why does everyone care so much about this? idgi

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I've tended to get the bodies scratched up quite a bit, which is why I'm going with an ultra-thin, clear case for my 6+, but also keep my phone alone in a front pocket, so I've never scratched the screen. I think I scratched my 4 a few months before I upgraded, but since they switched to Gorilla Glass, my 5's screen has been perfect since I got it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I get little scratches in the coating or glass or whatever pretty easily. They're only visible in reflections on the glass, not while using the device at all.

I use a glass screen protector because I don't want to worry about permanently damaging my phone screen by chucking it in the wrong bag or pocket or dropping it on a gym floor covered in chalk and tiny steel fragments. The glass ones are pretty sweet, though they add a bit of thickness to the phone and would suck with most cases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spunkshui posted:

You know whats easier then that?

Doing nothing and enjoying a well made phone that does not scratch or bend easily.

When someone makes one of those I'll switch.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Riven posted:

I've tended to get the bodies scratched up quite a bit, which is why I'm going with an ultra-thin, clear case for my 6+, but also keep my phone alone in a front pocket, so I've never scratched the screen. I think I scratched my 4 a few months before I upgraded, but since they switched to Gorilla Glass, my 5's screen has been perfect since I got it.

It's been gorilla glass since day one.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Suqit posted:

It's been gorilla glass since day one.

Maybe you should edit the Wikipedia:

quote:

Apple is said to use gorilla glass in all its devices since the iPhone 4S

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

"Though this list is sourced from Corning's website, there is a statement on that site indicating that this list is not necessarily comprehensive, as some companies have contractual arrangements with Corning that prohibit listing of said companies' products."

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So who has proven which phones were Gorilla and which were not?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It's been aluminosilicate (provided by Corning, no less, per the Jobs bio) since the 4. Jobs did a whole big song and dance about it at WWDC. There were Shinkansen windshields involved.

But if anyone actually cares about whether or not it's Dow-Corning Gorilla Glass™ brand aluminosilicate glass, it would be Wikipedians.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gorilla Glass is a brand name. At certain points Apple has used other suppliers of the same kind of glass.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Molten Llama posted:

But if anyone actually cares about whether or not it's Dow-Corning Gorilla Glass™ brand aluminosilicate glass, it would be Wikipedians.

Yeah, those guys are pedantic and get into huge arguments about nothing.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Wow you guys sperg the gently caress out about everything.

It's a phone, made with metals and glass. Take care of it and it won't shatter/bend/break into 1000 pieces.

Want a screen protector or phone case? Buy one. Everyone has different use cases.

Jesus Christ.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr Hands Colon posted:

It's a phone, made with metals and glass. Take care of it and it won't shatter/bend/break into 1000 pieces.

Want a screen protector or phone case? Buy one. Everyone has different use cases.

Jesus Christ.

Hello, and welcome! This must be your first visit to the Something Awful forums, where people sperg about EVERY loving LITTLE THING IN THE WORLD.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Jesus Christ.
Posts like this are generally more annoying than people having a discussion about the merits of screen protectors and cases, just fyi.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Usually it just ends with 'don't keep your keys in the same pocket as your phone :smug:'. I have to admit I didn't see the :siren:POCKET SAND:siren: derail coming.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just waiting for someone to post a picture of a scratch that their iPhone endured while in their pocket with some sand or some keys so I can make fun of them for how tiny and indiscernible it is when the phone is in use. :colbert:

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Selane posted:

Usually it just ends with 'don't keep your keys in the same pocket as your phone :smug:'. I have to admit I didn't see the :siren:POCKET SAND:siren: derail coming.

Nobody ever expects pocket sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAXUYLbFYk

(I too have a tiny scratch on the oleophobic coating after three weeks of unprotected use.)

Stutes fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 13, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Posts like this are generally more annoying than people having a discussion about the merits of screen protectors and cases, just fyi.

I have like .0067mb of "other" showing up when I connect to iTunes, please send help. I just don't know what to do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I have like .0067mb of "other" showing up when I connect to iTunes, please send help. I just don't know what to do.

That's a common hardware issue; stop by your nearest Fruit Stand to get it replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol at those of you children who don't take care of their possessions by keeping them in cases all day.