Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wonder if Kevin sometimes, laying awake at night after eating some wilty lettuce for supper, has moments of realization that he is extremely hosed. "Gotta spend money to make money!:smuggo:" is so ingrained in dumb white young people, some of whom will blow their brains out while most blame "the economy" when things go south, that it's become a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder if Kevin sometimes, laying awake at night after eating some wilty lettuce for supper, has moments of realization that he is extremely hosed. "Gotta spend money to make money!:smuggo:" is so ingrained in dumb white young people, some of whom will blow their brains out while most blame "the economy" when things go south, that it's become a joke.

I like how he even did a margin loan from the brokerage.

A good deal of investing is only playing with fun money, money you could afford to lose or at least see a 50% decrease in value due to market volatility.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 12, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
While there are many dumb things that Kevin is doing, I'd be shocked if he wasn't well covering his farmland loan with the rent on it. BC farmland is very constrained and is unlikely to decrease in value. His margin loan wouldn't exist if he didn't have at least double that amount (or more depending on the brokerage) in liquid investments to cover it. Margin loans aren't just handed out, and his brokerage will just sell poo poo if things move the wrong way.

Taken by itself, his mortgage is large relative to his income but not unmanageable. His line of credit is stupid and is where the whole thing breaks down. Given his income, I'd wager that it was left out of the article that someone (his parents?) co-signed that loc with him, there's no way a bank would give him one that large on his own income.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 7, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Sassafras posted:

Has to be the same guy, so more details on this blog. Note that he actually lives with his parents, the condo with a mortgage is currently rented out: http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/category/fiscal-updates

Hahahhahahaha I can't loving wait to see what happens

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hahahhahahaha I can't loving wait to see what happens

lol

:wth:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Haha yeah what a dumb making $300,000 over 5 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's basically a very nice money making strategy called over leveraging that worked so well for so many companies like Lehman Brothers.

It's great during a economy feast time/credit bubble but not so nice when the house of cards falls down.

The whole website is loaded with gullible investing get rich cliches like real estate being a investment that always pays off:
http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/investing/real-estate-investing

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 13, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hahaha great point he didn't take any risks at all and isn't wildly overleveraged oh no. I'm sure he also fully understands all of the risks in the investments he is making.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

if I think like a duck and walk like a duck, then surely

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr 1 percenter wannabe also uses a 10 year investment year window to support his idea that real estate is always a positive investment over time:

Perhaps a longer time period would tell a different story?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Kevin is a 27-year-old Vancouver resident who makes about $50,000 a year as a graphics designer and has $520,000 worth of debt — an amount he feels quite at peace with.

Despite my hobby of liking to tease and bait millennials, I'm actually having chest pains after reading this article.

Was I trolled? Please say I fell for something....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like his stocks articles saying how it's dumb to buy on the upswing mistake but for some reason this strategy makes sense for his real estate "investments".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pixelboy posted:

Despite my hobby of liking to tease and bait millennials, I'm actually having chest pains after reading this article.

Was I trolled? Please say I fell for something....

I don't think I could handle having that much debt; I'm never going to be rich.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I don't think I could handle having that much debt; I'm never going to be rich.

To become rich you need to think and act like a rich person.

Make sure you kick over a homeless man's collection plate tomorrow on your way to work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

To become rich you need to think and act like a rich person.

Make sure you kick over a homeless man's collection plate tomorrow on your way to work.

There are plenty of rich people that only act like assholes to people from afar.

Usually they're not old money though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You haven't made any money until you cash out, things like equity isn't money in the bank.

Good thing in his case most is tied up in illiquid assets like real estate debt.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

“From a tax perspective, bad debt would be money borrowed for a non-invested purpose: your house, student loan. Good debt would be money borrowed for an investment purpose: to buy a rental property or invest in a business or stocks and bonds because the interest is tax-deductible.”

Any person I've ever known (friends and family included) who claims that "good debt" exists has always been up to their eyeballs in debt. They refuse to accept how dire their debt situation is, and whenever they talk about "good debt" it starts to sound like they've developed a strange form of Stockholm Syndrome with their creditors. And people who talk about "cheap debt" are never any better.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically the silly get rich/good debt scheme is driven by good old fashioned over-leveraging of investments.

Not to mention of course it looks good when the investment window for the scheme is only 5 years:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

melon cat posted:

Any person I've ever known (friends and family included) who claims that "good debt" exists has always been up to their eyeballs in debt. They refuse to accept how dire their debt situation is, and whenever they talk about "good debt" it starts to sound like they've developed a strange form of Stockholm Syndrome with their creditors. And people who talk about "cheap debt" are never any better.

Debt that is yielding a stable return of cash (not capital appreciation) is good debt though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

on the left posted:

Debt that is yielding a stable return of cash (not capital appreciation) is good debt though.
I'd honestly like to hear some examples, because I'm definitely not convinced that "good debt" exists. To a lot of people, classifying debt into 'good' and 'bad' seems more like a coping mechanism instead of a reasoned, logical argument.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's 60k/yr.

I get that that's above the median, but it's by no mean earth shattering. I made more than that right out of college.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

melon cat posted:

I'd honestly like to hear some examples, because I'm definitely not convinced that "good debt" exists. To a lot of people, classifying debt into 'good' and 'bad' seems more like a coping mechanism instead of a reasoned, logical argument.

You could look at higher education as an investment in your future earning potential. Med school degree = good debt. Journalism degree = bad debt. Farmers buying seeds at the start of the season, very good debt considering they usually get crop insurance. Going into debt to tile your fields to improve yields and land value, probably good debt especially because you can write it off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

That's 60k/yr.

I get that that's above the median, but it's by no mean earth shattering. I made more than that right out of college.

Yeah IMO only cash matters since illiquid assets like real estate/farm lane isn't the same as cash.

Also for obvious reasons he doesn't tell how much loan payments he has associated with all his debt, which
will make his total cash flow of 60,000 CDN per year much less.

He also has only $3400 in total savings since he believes in investing most of his leftover money.

So he's basically over leveraged, with minimal liquid cash savings and basically sucks at basic fiancees such as including negative cash flows in his equation.

Any sort of serious accounting such as a businesses will take into account monthly negative balances such as loan interest payments, bond payments and other money sinks.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 13, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

That's 60k/yr.

Yeah but you actually worked a stable job for it instead of borrowing 10x your annual income and investing it to live off the equity.

Overleveraging works great until it doesn't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eXXon posted:

Yeah but you actually worked a stable job for it instead of borrowing 10x your annual income and investing it to live off the equity.

Overleveraging works great until it doesn't.

Yeah it's a wonderful way to make money during a feast economic cycle but the idiot will be wiped out in the next downturn due to over leveraging.

There's lots of ways to get rich such as starting a good small business(assuming you don't fail) but for most people it's having a decent job thanks to education that allows you to start socking away fun money in investment accounts. It also helps to live within your means such as avoiding things like a luxury car, big gambling debts, paying in everything with credit or lavish vacations.

Also he doesn't realize that a majority of those 1 percenters actually inherited most of the their money and weren't the traditional self made man. Having a snobby degree plus millions of dollars in trust fund assets makes getting rich really easy.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Starting a small business is way more risky than renting out farmland. Farmland is not going to be a really highly cyclical asset, and governments are usually quick to subsidize people who own farmland. The condo and margin investments are pretty dumb, but the farmland is a wise investment.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

eXXon posted:

Hahaha great point he didn't take any risks at all and isn't wildly overleveraged oh no. I'm sure he also fully understands all of the risks in the investments he is making.

Did I say that? Being levered from 2008 through no wish has been an excellent place to be. He's now far enough ahead that he's not likely to blow up. This will not work out for everyone but it is not an inherently wrong strategy for investing if you're willing to take the risks. It's just a hyper-aggressive one.

FrozenVent posted:

That's 60k/yr.

You probably put a lot more effort into it than he did though.

on the left posted:

Starting a small business is way more risky than renting out farmland. Farmland is not going to be a really highly cyclical asset, and governments are usually quick to subsidize people who own farmland. The condo and margin investments are pretty dumb, but the farmland is a wise investment.

This right here. The farmland is actually relatively liquid, farmland is in short supply, and relative to many things very, very unlikely to decrease materially in value.

Sounds like he lives in the condo so while it's not a great idea purely as an investment it's not wrong to benchmark its value and include its market value in your net worth. If he's smart, he'll be watching like a hawk and unload it the minute it starts to turn. If he's dumb, he'll not do that and maybe lose a bit, but he's already well ahead.

Using margin for investments is not dumb inherently. Without seeing what he's invested in it's hard to say whether he's using his margin appropriately. If he took his margin account and bought penny stocks then he's an idiot, but most brokers won't even let you do that, they'll assign margin levels based on specific stock loan values, more for stable stocks and less for volatile stocks.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
He's done well but let's see how well he's doing 3 years from now. Someone do a recursive wget of his site and archive it plz so we can laugh at him in the future

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This right here. The farmland is actually relatively liquid, farmland is in short supply, and relative to many things very, very unlikely to decrease materially in value.

I don't know much about farmland but even if it's such a great investment you would figure that it's priced appropriately. It may be low risk but what does it matter if it's not generating enough income/appreciating enough to offset his (not well documented) borrowing costs?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He's done well but let's see how well he's doing 3 years from now. Someone do a recursive wget of his site and archive it plz so we can laugh at him in the future

lol

http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2014/04/vancouver-most-affordable-city-in-canada.html

Also another negative you need to account is taxes due on everything from rent income, property taxes and also dividend income.

The basic interest alone on 500,000 total in debt would also eat a good amount of his yearly $60,000 pre-tax cash flow.

Basically he didn't include lots of red in monthly progress report since it would really expose his dubious financial future.

A variable 2.2% 5 year APR on the mortgage alone would be $850 a month without any extras such as property tax and also misc costs.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 13, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

eXXon posted:

I don't know much about farmland but even if it's such a great investment you would figure that it's priced appropriately. It may be low risk but what does it matter if it's not generating enough income/appreciating enough to offset his (not well documented) borrowing costs?

The fact that it's strictly limited in supply and farming efficiencies make it more valuable every year makes it relatively safe. The annual returns are probably pretty close i his mortgage payments but, like most farmers that own their own land he's making significant capital appreciation. It's also cheap to borrow against due to, wait for it, government subsidized lending via farm credit corp. Farmland where I used to live increased from in the $1000/acre range when I was growing up to nearly $10,000/acre now (call it a 20 year period, through a whole range of economic cycles). Since farming is subsidized through a whole buttons of programs (NISA and crop insurance were the main ones when I was a kid) the odds of a farmer failing to make his rent payments is almost nil, especially because you can just tell him to gently caress off next season and rent to his neighbor if he does fail to pay. Even better if your land is proximal to an urban centre and you can rent it to some dummy from the city who wants to hobby farm and doesn't care whether it's profitable or not.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

etalian posted:

Also another negative you need to account is taxes due on everything from rent income, property taxes and also dividend income.

Not quite, you only pay taxes on net income. He can actually use the loss to avoid paying tax on $800 of his part time income.

quote:

He grows his wheat and sells it on the open market while paying me cash rent at roughly $5,000 a year. Meanwhile the cost of owning the farmland for me costs about $5,800 (interest on loan, property tax, etc) Which means I have a net loss of $800 a year running this farm. But I’m not concerned about negative cash flow because all I need to break even is for the farm to appreciate at least 0.5% each year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Not quite, you only pay taxes on net income. He can actually use the loss to avoid paying tax on $800 of his part time income.

it's basically negative gearing a la Canada, Australia has similar great investment concept of buying rental properties to run at monthly loss but hoping for long term speculation to make up for it, while avoiding taxes in the present.

Also:

Yes bond holders are higher up in the bankruptcy food chain but you are still talking about only getting pennies on the dollar.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Meh, I admire his gumption.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

exterminate all mainland chinese

Kafka Esq. posted:

exterminate all black people

Brannock posted:

exterminate all white people

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv6ehg_blackadder-season-02-episode-01-bells_shortfilms&start=1012

Also, lol at that guy. He took out a loan at 4% interest (for now) to get bonds with a 6.8% annual return, but which only mature in 2018? How is this different from gambling (that interest rates stay low forever)?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had some good debt. .9% financing on my car rather than paying cash which I put into an investment that's paid 10% over the 2 years of my financing putting me about 2k ahead. That was good debt.
Or when the government takes advantage of super low interest periods to go into debt to invest in needed infrastructure that will more than pay for its self in the future. Lots of situations where good debt exists. It does not though exist in the world of Canadian real-estate.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

FrozenVent posted:

That's 60k/yr.

There's a rather big difference between having a pre-tax income of 60k/year and accumulating 60k of assets per year.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

I had some good debt. .9% financing on my car rather than paying cash which I put into an investment that's paid 10% over the 2 years of my financing putting me about 2k ahead. That was good debt.
Or when the government takes advantage of super low interest periods to go into debt to invest in needed infrastructure that will more than pay for its self in the future. Lots of situations where good debt exists. It does not though exist in the world of Canadian real-estate.

That was almost certainly not the true interest rate on the car loan, btw. Since no one in the car value chain can borrow that cheaply - the actual cost of the financing would've been partially rolled into the vehicle principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL2N0S70CP20141013?irpc=932

quote:

Canada condo boom rolls on as buildings fall apart
Mon, Oct 13 07:00 AM EDT
(Repeats to additional subscribers)

By Andrea Hopkins

TORONTO, Oct 13 (Reuters) - While Toronto's housing boom rolls on, some of the housing itself is falling apart.

Canada's biggest city has more than 100,000 units under construction as developers and investors seek to cash in on condo prices that are up 25.7 percent in the city over the past five years. The trouble is, many buildings are so poorly constructed that some residents fear that the money-spinners of today could become the slums of the future.

Glass panels have been falling off newly built Toronto condos, including the luxury Shangri-La and Trump towers and a dozen or more lesser-known buildings across the city. New buildings suffer from water leaks and poor insulation, making them ill-suited to Canadian weather.

"Many buildings that went up during the beginning of this condo boom are already facing high repair costs, and in many cases lawsuits, because they are built so shabbily," said Ted Kesik, a professor of building science at the University of Toronto.

"The life cycle is clear. They are okay for the first five years, they gradually deteriorate by year 10 ... and don't even reach year 20 before significant remedial work needs to be done. In 50 years these buildings may well become an urban slum."

That's all far in the future for builders and investors who have had little trouble finding tenants, with the city's rental vacancy rate at 1.8 percent. Condo prices are rising across the country, up 16.8 percent in the last five years, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association.

Real estate brokers are dealing mostly with 10-year investors who want to buy from a blueprint, double their equity during the five years of construction, and enjoy rental income and price appreciation for five more years before selling and investing again elsewhere.

"It's all about timing. We advise most clients to get out before that five-year mark," said Roy Bhandari of Sage Real Estate, which notched nearly C$50 million in Toronto condo sales in 2013, with clients typically from China, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East. "It's the magic number because after five years the warranties are expired."

The spate of falling glass sheets prompted the Ontario government to improve the building code in 2012 to stipulate that better glass be used for balconies, but the problem continues. In July, balcony glass panels fell off the 65-storey Shangri-La hotel and condominium building in Toronto's downtown core for the fifth time.

THE ALLURE OF CANADA

Canada's reputation as a safe haven from global financial storms has driven condo development in Toronto and Vancouver since 2009, attracting investors at home and abroad spooked by stocks, bonds, and foreign banks at risk of failure.

"The first reason they chose Canada is the banking system. It's the most boring banking system on the planet, but it makes it the safest," said Bhandari.

Less important are the finer points of the condos, with investors primarily focused on value, location, and amenities.

"Investors never see the suite. They buy it and sell it, and they are not flying in to micro-manage the investment," Bhandari said.

While there are no numbers on how many of Canada's condos are being bought by foreign investors, estimates range from 5 percent to 50 percent. The Shangri-La in Toronto is part of a chain owned and managed by Hong Kong-based Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, one of the world's leading hotel companies.

"It's almost like the dot-com bubble, in that you have to see it coming and sell, because if not, you'll get burned," said building scientist Kesik.

Renters and some real estate agents blame weak provincial regulations for problems with poorly built condominiums.

"The Building Code is a joke, the Condominium Act is a joke," said David Fleming, a condo buyer turned realtor. "The City of Toronto  relies on the permits, the fees for its tax base, and construction and condos are what is carrying the city. You do not kill the goose that lays the golden egg."

Fleming bought a pre-construction condo in 2005 that was scheduled to be finished in 2007. When he finally got his unit's keys in 2010, the rest of the building was still under construction, and he saw defects everywhere. He sold his unit within two years.

The Ontario building code, a provincial responsibility, is reviewed every five years, said Conrad Spezowka, a spokesman for Ontario's Municipal Affairs and Housing ministry. He noted it was most recently amended in June 2012 to address the failing glass problem.

"While the province is responsible for administering the Ontario Building Code, municipalities are responsible for enforcement and inspecting construction and renovation to ensure it complies with the code," Spezowka said in an e-mail.

In January, a report from Toronto's Auditor General found enforcement of the building code was lax and in need of a top-to-bottom review. Two-thirds of open building permits across Toronto had no inspection for over a year. Of the 3,735 reported code violations in 2012, only 30 percent had been inspected, and more violations were issued than closed each year.

Toronto's building office did not respond to requests for comments for this story.

Most condo owners are reluctant to make a fuss about poorly built condominiums for fear of lowering asset values as they try to offload the unit. Nonetheless, lawyer Ted Charney in September launched his sixth class-action lawsuit against a major Toronto developer, a C$29 million suit over wildly fluctuating water temperatures in a condo high-rise that are being blamed on the installation of improper water valves.

"Our building code is woefully deficient," said Audrey Loeb, a real estate lawyer dubbed "the Condo Queen" for her focus on condominium owners who were promised one thing when they were buying and got much less when they moved in. "The municipal and provincial governments have not imposed high enough obligations on developers."

Developers said there are plenty of checks and balances, and that mistakes are corrected quickly.

"There's a lot of moving parts. It's not like there is a mistake because we're trying to provide cheap product. It is the opposite. Everyone is always trying to better themselves," said Barry Fenton, president and chief executive of Lanterra Developments, which is among those being sued for falling glass at one of its new condo towers.

"The systems that we have in place have worked, they are healthy. There is no question if building inspectors or policies suggest we should make changes, we're here to listen and make the changes. Change is good." (Reporting by Andrea Hopkins.; Editing by Amran Abocar and John Pickering)

These pearl clutchers are severely lacking in vision. You're not going to get rich buying real estate if you focus on inconsequential details like build quality. You need to think big and embrace your pride of ownership.