Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

quote:

Yettie Page charges at Bring the Pain!
THREE GODDAMN TIMES

What the gently caress Yettie Page? Can anyone explain why my own teammate was TARGETTING ME for a charge? Three out of four times, no less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VladTheEater posted:

THREE GODDAMN TIMES

What the gently caress Yettie Page? Can anyone explain why my own teammate was TARGETTING ME for a charge? Three out of four times, no less!

You both charged a certain dodgy rear end in a top hat at the same time.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

my dad posted:

You both charged a certain dodgy rear end in a top hat at the same time.

That maybe explains the first one... but the second and third time I was definitely NOT charging at the same time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VladTheEater posted:

That maybe explains the first one... but the second and third time I was definitely NOT charging at the same time.

It doesn't have to be charging. If your molemarian was slightly faster than the Yeti, he could have simply moved into the tile that the kobold dodged away from, just in time for the Yeti to charge in.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The third time I was really paying attention to the charging yeti.

It was weird because the yeti was 2 squares north of the kobold and the moleman was in between them.

Y
M
K

That's how they were stacked on the screen. The yeti charged and smashed the moleman so it was pretty drat odd. Do creatures normally charge from 2 tiles away? I don't know.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Wow.

Again, useless halfwit was exactly the same as The Pope but with higher skills, yet somehow managed to miss more often and be less effective with the supposed buffs to archery in this patch.

I'd like to see archery work properly. Not being able to afford at least a steel bow was probably a mistake but I thought the higher skills in order to hit would be more important. :negative:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Coward posted:

Wow.

Again, useless halfwit was exactly the same as The Pope but with higher skills, yet somehow managed to miss more often and be less effective with the supposed buffs to archery in this patch.

I'd like to see archery work properly. Not being able to afford at least a steel bow was probably a mistake but I thought the higher skills in order to hit would be more important. :negative:

I can at least guarantee that archery and bow skills will be a lot cheaper next tournament.

edit: I've also made the View Standings page look a little nicer... at least, I hope it's an improvement.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 10, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Playoff Round 1, Fight 4 :siren:

On the left: 3 Knight Dog give us HerpicleOmnicron5's Argosiasus Barkskin the elf, Brick Moses' SRIRACHA FARTSTORM the elf, King Cohort's Digmuch Hardhead the kobold and ignite memories' Harold Bird II the Human.

On the right: Two and two half men! gbuchold gives us Issamael the Human, grobbendonk gives us Snarf Snarf Snarf the Dwarf, iLonie gives us Tukaram the Human and Reverence gives us Akurduana the Dwarf.

3 Knight Dog were an absolutely stunning team during the regular season, giving up a mere single death and no losses. Two and two half men, on the other hand, managed the fairly impressive feat of advancing with a negative record, though their impressive kill-count from their losses meant that that statistic was still right way around. It would seem like the course of this fight has already been decided--and, indeed, the betting is fairly well stacked--but it's important to recall that both teams have been upgraded. They literally aren't the same teams they were before. Will 3 Knight Dog continue their unstoppable trail of destruction? Will Two and two half men show us another victory of dogged persistence?

Fiendishly fast, the elves cross the centerline in lockstep to close in on Two and two half men quickly. The first exchange of blows is a mess of dodging, however. That's only a brief moment, however, before Barkskin chops off Issamael's hand. In reply, Snarf Snarf Snarf buries an adamantine pick in FARTSTORM's arm. The latter two charge at each other and bounce off, both stunned. Barkskin cuts Issamael's denuded arm up a bit more. Snarf Snarf Snarf matches the injury with a pick to FARTSTORM's head. These four are in some sort of weird mirror match.

There are other fighters on the field, though. Akurduana puts his adamantine spear straight through Harold Bird's arm. The usually-invincible Hal Bird has a moment of disbelief, just long enough for Tukaram to strike his leg, too. He retreats to a dream world where there is no pain and he's still winning. Are 3 Knight Dog losing? Yes, they are.

(The green X's flash for stunned, and the white X flashes for unconscious)

Digmuch Hardhead hits Issamael twice. His head comes loose. First kill. Akurduana follows up with a kidney stab on FARTSTORM, and the elf is out, too.

Status Check:
3 Knight Dog: One elf and one human unconscious, one ludicrously lethal kobold unbothered, one elf untouched
Two and two half men: Two dwarves and one human in perfect fighting condition, one human dead

No one's moving. They're holding the same positions and fighting and killing where they stand. Tukaram slices off Hal Bird's head. Akurduana stabs out FARTSTORM's kidney. Snarf Snarf Snarf hits him, too. This elf loses hold of both consciousness and his weapon.

Digmuch, the only one in position to stop the dynamic dwarf duo, scratches Snarf Snarf Snarf in the head, a fairly minimal injury. Akurduana takes the chance to finish off FARTSTORM.

Status Check:
3 Knight Dog: One elf and one human decapitated, one ludicrously lethal kobold unbothered, one elf untouched
Two and two half men: One human dead, one dwarf scratched up and still stunned, one human and one dwarf in good shape

Yes, 3 Knight Dog are losing and Two and two half men are winning. It's three against two, we all know how unbalanced melee matches go, and HOLY poo poo Barkskin just chopped Snarf Snarf Snarf's head off without preamble. It's two on two!

Akurduana is still right there, though, and his adamantine spear pierces Barkskin's leg. The elf hits the floor. 3 Knight Dog are still the underdogs. Tukaram steps into Snarf Snarf Snarf's slot, striking at the downed elf, but Barkskin counters and replies with a stab through the human's leg, too. The human stays on his feet, however, and Akurduana takes the chance to kill the elf.

It's Digmuch against one and one half men. He does his best, but he finds Akurduana's awe-inspiring spear in his liver, then Akurduana follows it up with a stunning charge. The little miner is on the ropes! The spear sends one of his hands flying... is it his weapon hand? No! Digmuch attacks. He hits only shield. Akurduana attacks. He hits only... weapon hand? Digmuch cannot stand up to this abuse, and faints away. A moment later, Tukaram shoves Akurduana aside and steals the kobold's head.

4-2 victory for Two and two half men over 3 Knight Dog in one melee! Too many numbers in that last sentence!

Kills
: Tukaram - 2, Akurduana - 2, Digmuch Hardhead - 1, Argosiasus Barkskin - 1

Combat Log

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
gently caress I can't win a bet!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That is certainly not what I expected. I'm glad I put my money on the other team!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The most important question of this tournament is who to bet on for the playoffs. Who can choose between Two and Two Half Men and All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long?

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
:siren:THE QUARTERFINALS HAVE ENDED:siren:

1. Place your bets for the semifinals!

2. Update your fighters for the semifinals!

We will be starting the semifinals for the winners on Monday. There will be some losers bracket matches over the weekend though!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw :smith:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for that betting win. I knew you could do it since you had beat my invincible team.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I bet on team legs and slade gauntlets, so I'd advise betting on the other two teams because I lost every bet I made last round, I'm like that psychic octopus that predicts stuff.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

I really wish I knew the difference between the absurdly optimized and overpowered Gnome Chance and my Digmuch--why did Gnome excel while Digmuch got ruined? Hoping to see his build after the end of the tournament. Good show, 2+(1/2)2 Men.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Before the next round can be underway, we are still waiting on:

Bene Elim to update Gnome Chance of the team Modern Family
Khisanth Magus to update Don't Hurt Me of Team Legs
Reverence to update Akurduana of Two and two half men

Also, I've updated the View Team page to show each team's match history. Hope someone finds this useful, or cool, or something.

edit: I know the new site feature everyone is asking for is the ability to build a test fighter and create a macro from it. That will probably be the next major feature I introduce on the site, I just haven't decided yet exactly how to implement it.

King Cohort posted:

I really wish I knew the difference between the absurdly optimized and overpowered Gnome Chance and my Digmuch--why did Gnome excel while Digmuch got ruined? Hoping to see his build after the end of the tournament. Good show, 2+(1/2)2 Men.

Rest assured all fighters' builds will be made public at the end of this tournament.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 11, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have to report a mistake on the arena website. Large daggers are 2-handed for gremlins.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

I have to report a mistake on the arena website. Large daggers are 2-handed for gremlins.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_combat_log.php?434

Ctrl-F Little Prick

Second and third find: "[Legs]I Feel Asleep strikes [Slade]Little Prick in the left hand with his iron pick, tearing apart the muscle!
The iron pick has lodged firmly in the wound!
[Slade]Little Prick loses hold of the large steel dagger."

Fourth find: "[Legs]Stinky Skinky strikes at [Slade]Little Prick but the shot is easily parried by the large steel dagger!"

After several more parries by his second dagger there is the 84th find: "[Slade]Little Prick slashes [Legs]Altoid in the left lower leg with his large steel dagger, tearing apart the fat through the small copper high boot!
The large steel dagger has lodged firmly in the wound!"

If what you are saying is true it has to have changed very recently. I'll do some testing of my own.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Two-handed weapons can be held in one hand and even dual wielded, but they receive a massive penalty to accuracy. This might explain why Little Prick isn't able to parry as much as Fed After Midnight can.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

Two-handed weapons can be held in one hand and even dual wielded.

Huh. I just tested this with dual wielding short-sword Gremlins and you're right, I had no idea the 2 handed rule wasn't strict. The dual short-sword Gremlins also killed each other much faster than the dagger ones, though that was just one match each. How can you tell if a weapon is really 1 handed or 2 handed though?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Silverminnow posted:

Huh. I just tested this with dual wielding short-sword Gremlins and you're right, I had no idea the 2 handed rule wasn't strict. The dual short-sword Gremlins also killed each other much faster than the dagger ones, though that was just one match each. How can you tell if a weapon is really 1 handed or 2 handed though?

Give a single copy of it to a creature and assume direct control. If it's marked as 'multigrasp' in the inventory, it's two-handed.

Swords penetrate deeper, so they tend to kill more quickly.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

Give a single copy of it to a creature and assume direct control. If it's marked as 'multigrasp' in the inventory, it's two-handed.

Just tested this and it seems to be the case. Sorry for doubting you earlier.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So can I get a point refund on my second dagger or what :haw:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

So can I get a point refund on my second dagger or what :haw:

I vote for double-point refund. If it costs 400 I think Munki should get 800 or even 1200 for the emotional distress as well as pain and suffering this has caused.

Look at him, does he look normal to you?

I rest my case.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Absolutely. Little Prick's performance was severely impacted by this gross negligence. Beyond being reduced to an effectively inactive team member, an entire fight may have been lost due to this oversight. Little Prick has been seeing a therapist over this issue, it may be years before he fully recovers, if ever.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Don't Hurt Me is updated and ready to chop off some limbs.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
So I've been doing some testing on what races can equip one or two handed.

First of all the big thing: All races can equip all weapons in the arena. I'm not sure if this applies outside of the arena, but it is true here. I don't know if this has always been the case and we restricted access to certain weapons for balance reasons or if this is a new thing for this version of Dwarf fortress.

Second big thing: All races can equip a bow or crossbow one handed. This means that Gremlin archers could be a thing.

Third thing: All races can equip a shield (or buckler) one handed. This kind of makes bucklers even more useless.

Fourth thing (and this might be a problem): The size shown on the tournament site is an average size. There can be fairly substantial size differences between individuals which can change whether a weapon is used one or two handed in some cases. My findings were done allowing this variance as the tournament currently does. This can be changed, however so that all races use only the average (site displayed) size. Would the thread like the sizes to be standardized or would you rather have some randomness when it comes to size? As my dad said before, forcing a creature that needs to two hand a weapon to only use one hand gives disadvantages to the weapon.

The only creature I'm not sure I can eliminate size variance on is Soldier Ant Women but I will work on it and see if there is a way.

Here are my findings: Weapon Use By Race (Not 100% Accurate)

There is also variance on the stats of the creature according to the RAWs, though I am not sure if those make it into the arena or not.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 11, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
First of all you are a huge nerd.

Secondly: sizes need to be the same from fight to fight. Absolutely, 100% they need to be the same. If I am a 1/3 size dwarf I am boned if I go against a max size dwarf. That's not even to say anything about wielding weapons.

Third: builds revolve around weapons. If I roll a lovely size character who cannot wield my weapon I think that's kind of a big thing.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Wasn't this discovered and fixed in the 2012 area mod?

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

fluppet posted:

Wasn't this discovered and fixed in the 2012 area mod?

No idea if it was but these are the results from testing using the version of Dwarf Fortress Jazzimus provided for this current tournament. So this is a problem at the moment. I know how to fix this with every creature that has [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125] and the like in the RAWs (all you do is change all those numbers to 100) but I can't find anything similar under the Soldier Ant Women RAWs and they definitely vary enough in size to change whether a weapon is used in one or two hands.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sizes, traits, et cetera, should all be rolled upon choosing your race, and remain throughout the tournament.

It's the only way to make it appropriately convoluted.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My totally unfounded and untested pet theory for why Yetis go down like such babies is that they have proportionally more pain nerves in their giant bodies but the same pain tolerance level as everyone else.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Silverminnow posted:

but I can't find anything similar under the Soldier Ant Women RAWs

Ban female ant soldiers, make queens a new race to replace werewolves.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Gnome Chance is ready to mine some Legs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bene Elim posted:

Gnome Chance is ready to mine some Legs.

Have you seen the bets on the fight? Team legs is by far the favorite in the fight!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Whoops! Forgot to place my bet...

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Loser's Semifinals, Round 1 :siren:

On the left, we bring you Oscar Pistorius's gun club, showing It Ain't Ogre 'til it's Snogre the Yeti of Locomotive breath, Karl the Human of Maarak, Just a Prick the Kobold of Duckaerobics and hambeaten the Dwarf of matthew beet.

On the right: Habeas Corpses give us VladTheEater's Bring the Pain the molemarian, Ablative's The Obituator the Soldier Antwoman, A good poster's Yettie Page the Yeti and goatface's Gavin Henson the Dark Gnome.

By this point, we've seen both these teams four times before; little introduction should be needed. All we need to know is the winner goes to the finals and the loser to the third place match. Let's just get cracking on the bloodshed!

Karl does not disappoint. The very first swing of the match sends Bring the Pain's foot flying! Bring the Pain desperately whips Karl, who doesn't even blink at the bruise. Then The Obituator calmly punches Karl in the head, knocking him unconscious through his helmet.

:stare:

Yettie Page gets in on it, too, her silver hammer smashing his ribcage and heart. hambeaten replies, cutting the yeti twice until she falls over.

The Obituator turns to her next target. She chops Snogre's leg, and the yeti on that team drops to the floor. Gavin Henson gives hambeaten a nasty torso shot of his own, this one piercing copper breastplates with seeming ease.

Just a Prick slides steel of his own into Bring the Pain's lung, and the molemarian chokes. This is one of the most brutal fights of the tournament so far; little dodging or missing is seen, simply bloody injury after injury.

No one is proving that better than The Obituator. Her axe hits Snogre again, cracking bone in his wrist, and he passes out.

It hardly matters who is who; everyone's compressed into a single furball, stacked into a few squares.

Yettie Page hammers Karl twice more, flattening his skull despite the bronze supporting it. She turns slightly, and does the same to Snogre.

Status check:
Oscar Pistorius' gun club: Their two larger companions slain outright, the two smaller largely unfazed
Habeas Corpses: Well, Bring the Pain is pretty mangled, and Yettie Page has been floored

Bring the Pain's foot touches down right now. That was the fight's first exchange that removed that. Only now does dodging start to come into play, as hambeaten and Just a Prick begin playing smart instead of vicious. Just a Prick even cuts off Bring the Pain's tail, and hambeaten chops off one of The Obituator's arms.

Seriously, Bring the Pain is in bad shape. He presses gamely on, though. Just a Prick sees an opening to chop of Yettie Page's weapon hand. Don't count the gun club out just yet if they're going to fight like this! Especially since blood loss has caught up with Bring the Pain, and he expires. It's three on two! Just a Prick turns on Yettie Page next, chunks of meat flying in all directions as he chops off bits of her arm. The Obituator has been trying to hit the kobold this whole time, and has hit only air. Finally, Just a Prick removes Yetti Page's head.

Status Check:
Oscar Pistorius' gun club: Their two larger companions slain outright, the two smaller largely unfazed
Habeas Corpses: Their two larger companions slain outright, the two smaller largely unfazed, though The Obituator is running low on unused arms.

Now that's a turn-around. hambeaten chops off Gavin Henson's shield arm, and the gnome loses his buckler. Then The Obituator runs out of ichor to sustain her insectoid life, and she dies. Oscar Pistorius' gun club have gone from being outnumbered 2-1 to outnumbering 2-1!

Gavin Henson spars ineffectually with the kobold and dwarf. He can dodge them fairly well, despite his lack of shield, but the only injury he's managed to inflict to this point is a single stab on hambeaten that nonetheless proves that their armor will not protect them if he can just strike true. Then hambeaten strikes the gnome once more. Again. In theory, Gavin is the more skilled, but he's just not fighting as well.

Just a Prick gets in on it, and hambeaten chops off the foe's weapon hand. The harmless and armless gnome is doomed. hambeaten claims the kill.

4-2 victory for Oscar Pistorius's gun club, after a shocking turn-around.

Kills
: hambeaten - 2, Just a Prick - 2, Yettie Page - 2

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Is this the first or second come-from-behind victory we have seen?

Bloody fights are the best fights, doubly so since I picked The Gun Club to win the bracket before we started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spermy Smurf posted:

I picked The Gun Club to win the bracket before we started!

I had high hopes for the Gun Club. Sadly, there is no surviving the Curse of the Yeti.

• Locked thread