Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013
This game is really good and fun. Also, it has very funny bugs.

Just playing through Classic mode, fighting against a Yoshi. I have no idea what caused it. It also happened on the next fight, but I noticed as the fight ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Suspicious Cook posted:

DHD is the best zoner in the game, I'd say, but he does have trouble finishing the job, especially when it's free for all.
I'd say Rosalina is a bit better but she definitely has the highest learning curve out of the cast. Puppet characters rule and I wish I could play them. If we're counting the Miis, then Gunner would be a bit better at zoning too. Grenades are crazy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Puppet characters turn me into a waterfall of salt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

KingEffingFrost posted:

I just learned never to play Shulk in 1 vs 1 For Glory, because he has what might be the lowest move priority in the game. On everything. Every single clash of moves resulted in me getting hit and then juggled, whether on the ground or in the air. No longer feelin' it.

Shulk's advantage is that his attacks have super long range. Abuse his disjointed hitboxes, don't go super melee, that's not how you win with him. If someone gets close, jump away and use N-air or whatever that spins his sword around.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Tae posted:

Shulk's advantage is that his attacks have super long range. Abuse his disjointed hitboxes, don't go super melee, that's not how you win with him. If someone gets close, jump away and use N-air or whatever that spins his sword around.

That's the exact problem I was having. Every character I played against could break through the N-air. It was especially bad against Ness. Maybe using the Jump art reduces its priority?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Scholtz posted:

So what's everyones' favorite palette swaps? Mine's probably either Gameboy DDD or Great Golden Ape DK

Old Manondorf.

Also Rosalina is boss but I suck playing as her. What's the secret?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Old Manondorf.

Also Rosalina is boss but I suck playing as her. What's the secret?

Throw Luma off the edge of the stage, and fight solo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Getting multiple kos with dededes side smash is so loving satisfying.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'd like to see smash go back to melee stage design. Very few walk offs.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I just want Jungle Japes to die, please Lord Sakurai remove this abomination. You don't even need to put in a replacement as long as it never shows up in random again.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cerepol posted:

I just want Jungle Japes to die, please Lord Sakurai remove this abomination. You don't even need to put in a replacement as long as it never shows up in random again.

Still better than Balloon Fight.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Jungle Japes without DK Rap isn't worth playing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cerepol posted:

When the stage is selected, do you tend to cry a river?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want Peach's Castle N64 (not the Melee abomination), Hyrule Castle, Saffron City, Mushroom Kingdom II Subcon, Pokefloats, Mute City Melee, and Shadow Moses Island back.

Also, Brinstar Depths and 75m because I'm a dick.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Squallege posted:

Jungle Japes without DK Rap isn't worth playing.

Gear Getaway is a decent alternative. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Echo Chamber posted:

Shadow Moses Island

As a Metal Gear fan I'm okay with this. As a Smash fan I'm tempted to ask if you play as Dedede, and then call you a chain grabbing whore if you respond with yes to that question.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Echo Chamber posted:

and Shadow Moses Island back.

I'm sadder about losing Shadow Moses Island than I am about losing Snake himself :smith:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

put both these songs on Kongo jungle, and make a new DKC stage that's good. Also bring back Onett and make a new Tazmilly village stage or Saturn valley thx.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I want Peach's Castle N64 (not the Melee abomination), Hyrule Castle, Saffron City, Mushroom Kingdom II Subcon, Pokefloats, Mute City Melee, and Shadow Moses Island back.

Also, Brinstar Depths and 75m because I'm a dick.

I don't know why but I think I miss Hyrule Castle the most :(.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Austrian mook posted:

put both these songs on Kongo jungle, and make a new DKC stage that's good. Also bring back Onett and make a new Tazmilly village stage or Saturn valley thx.

Well, it is looking like they're bringing back Onett for the WiiU version, but that there might not be a new Mother stage on it. Personally, I'd want it to be Moonside.

The only stages from my top five that aren't in Smash 3DS are Brinstar Depths and Saffron City, so if we could just cram both of those onto Smash 3DS that'd be great.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I don't think this series has ever had a worse stage.

Cleretic posted:

might not be a new Mother stage on it.

Fourside ruled and needs to come back.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 13, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Hyrule Castle feels like a nice mesh of the NES Zelda and Ocarina.

We get the classic overworld theme, the castle from Zelda 64 and Death Mountain in the background. It's not grim and gaudy like the Bridge of Whateveritscalled. It's a stage that makes me want to play classic Zelda games again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Gear Getaway rules and I hope that the stage in the WiiU version is either on a giant rocket barrel/being carried by several rocket barrels flying all over DKCR and Tropical Freeze locations, and occasionally the giant bat shows up to shoot sonar at you

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cleretic posted:

Well, it is looking like they're bringing back Onett for the WiiU version, but that there might not be a new Mother stage on it. Personally, I'd want it to be Moonside.

The only stages from my top five that aren't in Smash 3DS are Brinstar Depths and Saffron City, so if we could just cram both of those onto Smash 3DS that'd be great.

good, Onett is top tier since it discourages bitching around by the walk off's with the cars and the falling platforms encourage everyone to move around.

Echo Chamber posted:

Hyrule Castle feels like a nice mesh of the NES Zelda and Ocarina.

We get the classic overworld theme, the castle from Zelda 64 and Death Mountain in the background. It's not grim and gaudy like the Bridge of Whateveritscalled. It's a stage that makes me want to play classic Zelda games again.

Temple needs to be in the game. It's like Corneria, in that it's classic Smash, IMO. I'd like to see a Skyloft stage, and maybe a new Wind Waker one as well. Something off one of the islands, maybe Dragon Roost?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah Temple also rules. They turned the black sheep of the Zelda franchise (not counting the weird poo poo like Zelda CDi) into the best possible big stage. It almost makes me want to play Zelda II, but each time I try I really have no clue what to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There is in fact a Skyloft stage in Wii U.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

There is in fact a Skyloft stage in Wii U.

Is it like Delfino plaza, in that it's just a platform moving you around a bunch of little locations?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Austrian mook posted:

Is it like Delfino plaza, in that it's just a platform moving you around a bunch of little locations?

Pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1b2kn5hBo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know what to do as Ganondorf against speedy characters like Mac. I can't hit them at all :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Do people hate Delfino-type levels? I usually find them restrained when it comes to gimmick hazards. There's a good amount of platforms, and they are visually interesting to spectate. I like them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Echo Chamber posted:

Do people hate Delfino-type levels? I usually find them restrained when it comes to gimmick hazards. There's a good amount of platforms, and they are visually interesting to spectate. I like them.

I'm just getting kind of burned out, seems like we're getting lots of them lately.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm kinda disappointed that's what the Halberd turned out to be. Halberd would have been so much cooler as a full, Great Fox-style level where you're running the length of it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of many of the 3DS versions stages. There are a couple of cool ones (I like both of the Pokemon stages, Reset Bomb Forest's stage transition is really cool, Tortimer Island would be great if it didn't zoom out to show you the boat all the time) but the rest either have really overbearing/stupid gimmicks or have way too many walk-offs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

They seem uninspired and unattractive, so i do not like them. I'd rather just have a stage be one of the areas where they stop. At least then I can feel like mario and zelda are fighting in a specific location, instead of just on platforms zooming around an island haphazardly.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

How Rude posted:

Palutena is pretty good at spacing and zoning opponents. Her tilts are very good at anti-aggression, her fsmash and dsmash push enemies away if they just miss and have fairly good strength and speed, her up smash, uptilt, and up air are utter aerial approach denial.

All her specials are good at keeping someone from approaching you safely. Autoreticle is good vs. short ranged characters attempting to approach safely, it's very spammable and has a fairly long range. Counter is good against characters like Little Mac who rush full retard into you with telegraphed attacks, and reflect utterly annihilates projectile spammers. If someone won't relent and are near you a dash attack or a grab will send them away ready to repeat the cycle of approaching you again.

She's very good if you zone the enemy and make them come to you rather than you come to them, and then carefully pick a good time to go in for the kill (or use counter on an enemy smash attack :v:)

Ooh ok that sounds pretty good. I will try to put some time into Palutena then(as well as Link and DHD as others mentioned).

Smash just kinda scares me because any other fighting game I can just grab it and get good in a couple days but smash is weird and not like anything else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I love Delfino-type levels, cause I basically want EVERY location in whatever game to be a stage, but that's not possible, so I'd rather have little bits of the game you can tour and fight on.

I wish the Sonic stage was that, because there's SO many good locations but we're stuck forever on Green Hill Zone.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I wish the Sonic stage was that, because there's SO many good locations but we're stuck forever on Green Hill Zone.

That's more or less my problem with Sonic in general :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sonic team inexplicably wants sonic's influence on smash to be as bland as possible.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Sonic team inexplicably wants sonic's influence on smash to be as bland as possible.

I'm still upset he didn't get any of the powerups from Sonic and Knuckles as his special attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should start combining stages and themes like they started to in Subspace Emissary's cutscenes. We can fight on the Great Fox and Halberd as they close in on the Death Egg with laser battles in the background or we could start in the traditional Mario underground until Kraid rips through the floor and above ground we're suddenly in Mute City!

Sony All-Stars did combo stages kind of like this, but that game was stupid, so the idea is fresh for the taking.

• Locked thread