Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jackpot posted:

Yeah, 10.8.5. It's a brand new work machine, could be either one. I'll upgrade and hope that fixes it, thanks.

:monocle: Been using an iphone for three years, you'd think that would have occurred to me.

You can hold onto the window, and use Control+Left/Right as well. This is my main way of moving windows between desktops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

japtor posted:

Might be a good time to mention this :psyduck: tidbit I found a while back:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH15262

quote:

Important: Time Machine can’t do a full backup of your iPhoto library when iPhoto is open. To ensure that Time Machine does a complete backup of your library, quit iPhoto periodically before backing up.

(Well maybe not that :psyduck: considering the complexity of the crap in there, just kinda goes against the idea of poo poo just workin)

The Kbase article is a little unclear about this. As of iPhoto 9.1.4, iPhoto manages its database (inside the iPhoto library itself) in such a way that allows Time Machine to back up the photo library while iPhoto is running. You may incur a database rebuild after restore.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's your role at Apple, Mikey-San?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

jackpot posted:

:monocle: Been using an iphone for three years, you'd think that would have occurred to me.

Heh. I only know about it because I discovered it by accident.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

fleshweasel posted:

What's your role at Apple, Mikey-San?

I make electrons do useful work and stare at backtraces a lot.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Mikey-San posted:

I make electrons do useful work and stare at backtraces a lot.

Bullshit, all you do is chat with me on iChat all day long.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

hippieman posted:

Bullshit, all you do is chat with me on iChat all day long.
iChat doesn't exist anymore. :stare:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

iChat doesn't exist anymore. :stare:
I think it was still a thing the last time I remember seeing a hippieman post. Next thing you know excitebike will show up.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh so how do I move shapes around that I've created in Pages. It seems like I can do it with lines but not with boxes, at least not easily. I have to drag from off the edge of the page, onto the object to make its corner selection stuff appear and then I can only adjust dimensions to warp it to where I want it instead of just moving it around. Why is this hard :(

edit: oh my god if I click ON the border of the square I can move it. Jesus christ apple.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Mikey-San please get the iTunes people to add ascending/descending to view options.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Mikey-San please get the iTunes people to add ascending/descending to view options.

Tap the column title to sort, tap a second time to cycle ascending descending. What am I missing?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just got a super wide monitor. What can I use to make managing how much screen real estate everything takes up on it easier?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just got a super wide monitor. What can I use to make managing how much screen real estate everything takes up on it easier?

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you mean, but for window placement/sizing managment I use BetterSnapTool (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

eriddy posted:

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you mean, but for window placement/sizing managment I use BetterSnapTool (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12).

Oh! That looks perfect. Thanks!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any way to add an app to a wish list on the Mac app store? This lists how to do it for iTunes and the iOS app store, but not the Mac one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There isn't a wish list for the mac app store, but if you click on the little arrow next to the price you can get a link that you can save somewhere. Also some people use App Shopper.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

eriddy posted:

Is there anything that BetterSnapTool does that BetterTouchTool can't do?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'd like to try out Alfred, but with Yosemite overhauling Spotlight, should I just wait? Or does Alfred still offer features superior to new Spotlight?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

Is there anything that BetterSnapTool does that BetterTouchTool can't do?

Use fewer resources.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Butt Savage posted:

I'd like to try out Alfred, but with Yosemite overhauling Spotlight, should I just wait? Or does Alfred still offer features superior to new Spotlight?

As a person using the Yosemite Release, Alfred is still completely superior to the new spotlight. The flexibility of the scripting language is what makes it so useful. Even if someone hasn't already created the module you want, it's real simple to code it yourself.

e: not to mention nearly all the new functionality of Yosemite spotlight has already been emulated on Alfred.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Slowhanded posted:

As a person using the Yosemite Release, Alfred is still completely superior to the new spotlight. The flexibility of the scripting language is what makes it so useful. Even if someone hasn't already created the module you want, it's real simple to code it yourself.

e: not to mention nearly all the new functionality of Yosemite spotlight has already been emulated on Alfred.

I always see people recommending Alfred, but I can't really see a reason for me to buy it based on the description. Can you give an example of what makes it superior over spotlight (which I use all the time to open apps)?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

I always see people recommending Alfred, but I can't really see a reason for me to buy it based on the description. Can you give an example of what makes it superior over spotlight (which I use all the time to open apps)?

There are tons of utilities for small tasks and it's very easy to make your own.

Here's an example of one I use all the time when working with timestamped data:
https://github.com/mwaterfall/alfred-datetime-format-converter

and some more examples at https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows, tho most listed here are superfluous IMO.

emoji fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 11, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Use fewer resources.

Well, sure. I guess I should've been more clear: I use BTT already, and could never imagine using a computer without it, and I have window snapping enabled. Does BST let me make the window snapping better, or something?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dik-dik posted:

Well, sure. I guess I should've been more clear: I use BTT already, and could never imagine using a computer without it, and I have window snapping enabled. Does BST let me make the window snapping better, or something?
Yeah, BetterSnapTool's not just about window snapping (although that's a useful thing it does as well). It's more like a window positioning management app and it's great for people like me who move their laptop around and are sometimes connected to a monitor and sometimes using the laptop screen and are somewhat obsessive about where windows are on screen.

The main things it does are it allows you to save window sizes, centre windows on the screen and create 'snap areas' (basically window size/position templates) so you can drag any window over the area to get it go back to that size easily. Here's a list of the window snap things it does in addition to drag-snapping like Windows 7:

I personally use BetterSnapTool in conjunction with Moom since BetterSnapTool allows you to set up the windows to the sizes you want them and where you want them and then Moom allows you to save that per space/monitor/resolution.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does Moom compare to something like Stay or Display Maid?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eriddy posted:

Hyperdock also has some basic window management stuff built in, with edge snaps and keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't do advanced configurable stuff, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

fleshweasel posted:

How does Moom compare to something like Stay or Display Maid?
Haven't used Stay but Moom's very similar in features to Display Maid as far as I'm aware. I think all of them offer similar functionality so if you're got one already you don't need another one.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Thanks to all for the BetterSnapTool recommendations. I almost registered Divvy for $14, but picked up BST for $2.50 instead. 'woot!' is appropriate, I think.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oooh I will definitely look into Moom. I am also sometimes connected to a second monitor, and sometimes not, so it would be nice to add some automation to the mix.Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Long time satisfied Moom user here, although I haven't taken advantage of a lot of the fancier features like some of y'all seem to do. It's gotten a good number of feature updates over time and I just haven't bothered keeping up with everything once I got it set up for my needs a while back.

Many Tricks' other apps are also pretty nice if you're looking for some other random utilities btw.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BetterSnapTool is the gadget I've been wanting on my MBP without realizing it. Thanks! $2 is certainly a reasonable price to try an app.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a fairly simple OSX apps question - I am fairly new to OSX and Apple computers. Used them a little in school, got a Mac Mini a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. It's a fantastic little computer and a great OS.

Anyhow - I know on iOS I can install an application I buy on multiple iOS devices that are linked to my apple account.

On OSX, if I have the same account linked to both a Mac Mini, and, say, a MacBook Pro, do I need to purchase applications twice, or can I run the same purchased app on both computers?

EDIT: Looks like I can, up to like five computers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Got a fairly simple OSX apps question - I am fairly new to OSX and Apple computers. Used them a little in school, got a Mac Mini a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. It's a fantastic little computer and a great OS.

Anyhow - I know on iOS I can install an application I buy on multiple iOS devices that are linked to my apple account.

On OSX, if I have the same account linked to both a Mac Mini, and, say, a MacBook Pro, do I need to purchase applications twice, or can I run the same purchased app on both computers?

EDIT: Looks like I can, up to like five computers.

I think it's actually an unlimited number of computers.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's 5, you can only sign in on five different computers with one MAS account, unless you have an enterprise account which is when it's unlimited.

Of course, Family Sharing will probably come to the MAS if it hasn't already, so...

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

carry on then posted:

It's 5, you can only sign in on five different computers with one MAS account, unless you have an enterprise account which is when it's unlimited.

Of course, Family Sharing will probably come to the MAS if it hasn't already, so...

It seems like it already has. In the MAS, there is a drop down to switch between mine and my wife's app store purchases in the Yosemite public beta.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

How do I go about linking accounts for family sharing? Never even knew that was a thing cause I don't own an iOS device.

E: nevermind, found it. It's in the iCloud settings in System Preferences, for any other lazy bastards out there.

Double E:

By the way, if anyone else was similarly annoyed by the new behavior of the green button in Yosemite (I'm fine with using it to full-screen, I just don't want it to be the default behavior), you can override it in BTT:

Click Other; for the trigger, select Leftclick Green Window Button, and for Predefined Action select Zoom Window Below Cursor. Fullscreen is a predefined action called Enter Fullscreen (If Supported). You could, for example, set your trigger to be Leftclick Green Window Button with a modifier of your choice.

You can change this globally or for specific applications (e.g. ones like Chrome that don't have title bars which you could otherwise double-click to zoom).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 13, 2014

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

dik-dik posted:

title bars which you could otherwise double-click to zoom

:aaa: Oh man thanks for this. Being able to double-click the Safari title bar for the old functionality has made my day. I thought they removed zoom entirely in Yosemite and it really sucked.

Edit: vv Thanks x2

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 13, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you don't have BTT, Option-clicking the green button still zooms. I'm hoping for a defaults write or little utility to reverse the behavior, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My 2009 MIni running latest Mavericks will not shut down. When I tell it to, it just closes all the apps, leaves the dock and top bar on, and has a loading wheel (not the beachball, but the grey line circle) and then sits there. It's sat for hours, and doesn't do anything.

Any logs I can dig through, or possible causes? It only has iTunes and Teamviewer on it, it's pretty much barebones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

japtor posted:

Photos isn't coming until next year after release :smith:

It's really a bummer because iPhoto doesn't understand iOS 8 photo edits. So when photos sync via PhotoStream, you just get the raw original.