Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Most IHG hotels will allow you to cancel reward stays as long as its done a day or two before the check in date. I've never done points + cash, but I've cancelled points stays with no problem and the points are instantly put back into my account.

Yeah, their FAQ isn't clear on it. They say that you don't get your cash back if you cancel, but also imply that points+cash is just buying points. I guess I'll just give them a call and ask.

IHG posted:

Can I use a combination of points and cash on a Reward Nights reservation?
Yes. Through our "Points & Cash" option, you can choose to redeem IHG® Rewards Club points for a Reward Night in three ways:
Use your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night
Use your existing points and 5,000 points purchased for US $40 to total the required points
Use your existing points and 10,000 points purchased for US $70 to total the required points

If I cancel a Rewards Night reservation that was made through the Points & Cash program, can I get a refund?
You will get your points back instantly when you cancel a Reward Nights reservation, however, no cash will be refunded.

In other news, Delta is increasing the Medallion Qualifying Dollar limits for next year from $2,500/$5,000/$7,500/$12,500 to $3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$15,000. If those were the numbers this year then I'd probably end up Gold rather than Platinum. Time to give AA's program a harder look, I guess, since I'll be looking at not just fewer miles earned but also fewer benefits going forward if I am missing out on higher levels due to not spending enough.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

In other news, Delta is increasing the Medallion Qualifying Dollar limits for next year from $2,500/$5,000/$7,500/$12,500 to $3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$15,000. If those were the numbers this year then I'd probably end up Gold rather than Platinum. Time to give AA's program a harder look, I guess, since I'll be looking at not just fewer miles earned but also fewer benefits going forward if I am missing out on higher levels due to not spending enough.

Yea, I got the email from them this morning: "When everyone's an elite flyer, no one is" - hysterical considering they made it that way. Either way, as long as they keep the AmEx waiver, I'll be okay. If it helps thin out the LAX Skyclub at all, it's fine by me.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Yea, I got the email from them this morning: "When everyone's an elite flyer, no one is" - hysterical considering they made it that way. Either way, as long as they keep the AmEx waiver, I'll be okay. If it helps thin out the LAX Skyclub at all, it's fine by me.

As soon as I read that subject line I knew instantly that they were going to make it harder, but I already figured this was probably my last year with Delta anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I didn't get an email. I'd hit DM tier on dollars anyway but I usually hit it on card spend by like April.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I have a question, more for curiosity than anything.

Most of the time I've been stranded overnight it's been due to weather, ATC, or something else outside of the airline's control, so I've had to get my own hotel and pay for it (or have my employer pay for it on work trips). Last night, I was stranded at CLT due to mechanical issues, so American — which I no longer have any status on, but had to fly because part of my itinerary included LAW — paid for my hotel room at the airport Baymont Inn. It was better than sleeping in the airport, but it wasn't a hotel I'd stay at by choice normally; it's the kind of hotel I would have stayed at as a broke college student. At least I already hit Hilton diamond and didn't need any more nights, and it was already 23:45 when my rebooked flight was at 07:30, so it wasn't worth trying to get another hotel on my own.

I am appreciative that AA paid for the hotel, but it also made me wonder: does the quality of hotel they (or any airline) puts you in goes up with status?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I am appreciative that AA paid for the hotel, but it also made me wonder: does the quality of hotel they (or any airline) puts you in goes up with status?

Not personal experience, but I'm going to say no. A co-worker of mine who is Diamond Medallion on Delta got stranded in Salt Lake City a while back and they put him at a Red Roof or something like that. He bitched for WEEKS afterwards about how he would have been better off just staying in the airport.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No, they always go for super cheap. It's almost always a chain place.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

As a function of policy, generally not. Can you work with the agent who is creating the voucher for you to secure a better location if one is available? Absolutely. This is how I snagged the Marriott that is attached to IAH instead of the Days Inn that is off-airport and a complete dumpster fire. I know most of the decent hotels around IAH, ORD, and DEN for this purpose. It's always best to be able to self-advocate instead of letting the airline figure it out for you.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Lol, the Days Inn. loving gross.

If I was a Medallion flyer, I think it would be pretty easy to reach the 15k needed if you were flying 120K. I suspect UA will follow next year with asking $12.5k for a 1K, which will not be a problem for me at all. Over/Under on UA following this policy before or after the 2015 MP rules/requal guidelines are published in March. I say they will announce before as their poo poo sandwiches are always served early to give ample warning but they haven't failed to follow every lovely thing DL has done (while simultaneously following none of their good moves).

I'm interested to see how much the herd gets thinned next year. I feel sorry for those that can't buy anything but bulk tickets and I fear those are going to be the majority that get cut. Mileage Runners are a red herring.. there just can't be that many of them.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I had a couple big interruptions in travel this year (loving jury duty) and I'll probably end up around 70k miles :mad:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Delta stranded me and my wife in Detroit a couple years ago thanks to a mechanical delay making us miss a connection. Having status didn't stop them from booking me into a fleabag Comfort Inn where they had a $30/night negotiated rate, and handing us some meal vouchers.

The hotel had a late night bar though and they accepted our Deltabucks for booze and appetizers, so there was at least that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Currently slightly stranded at HEL due to a missed connection. Flew Finnair and was originally rebooked on the next Finnair flight, 8 hours later, but talked them into putting me on a Skandinavian four hours later instead.

I'm just an economy flying plebe, should/can I ask for more compensation?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why did you miss the connection?

Also being booked on a flight 4 hours later isn't stranded. You're delayed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When I get stranded in ATL, I usually get put up at the airport Marriott. I am not sure if this is a function of status.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Why did you miss the connection?

First flight was delayed out of Hong Kong due to a maintenance issue.

sellouts posted:

Also being booked on a flight 4 hours later isn't stranded. You're delayed.

Hence "slightly stranded." :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When I get stranded in ATL, I usually get put up at the airport Marriott. I am not sure if this is a function of status.

I doubt I qualified for any of this but if they had insisted on the flight eight hours later I would have pressed hard for a lounge pass.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bolind posted:

Currently slightly stranded at HEL due to a missed connection. Flew Finnair and was originally rebooked on the next Finnair flight, 8 hours later, but talked them into putting me on a Skandinavian four hours later instead.

I'm just an economy flying plebe, should/can I ask for more compensation?

You might qualify for EU compensation. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got stranded in ATL earlier this year as a gold and they tried to put me up in a lovely Comfort Inn. Luckily it was work travel so I just took a taxi to the airport Hilton and expensed it. In retrospect I should have tried to bargain for something better. But it was late, I was tired, and there was a long line behind me that I didn't want to hold up.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone here use Lanyon's software for travel/event bookings? Just curious about anyone's experiences with the software since I'm not familiar with it at all, and I'm in the interview process with them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Midjack posted:

No, they always go for super cheap. It's almost always a chain place.

It wouldn't be so bad except they also seem to pick the dingiest, worst examples of said cheap budget chains. Holiday Inn? Fine, whatever. I can live with a Holiday Inn for one night: I've slept in worse. Oh, it's the one with mold running up the walls that smells like a Marlboro convention just ended. Well, gently caress that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bolind posted:

First flight was delayed out of Hong Kong due to a maintenance issue.

Hence "slightly stranded." :)

As someone who's been stranded before, 4 hrs isn't even slightly stranded but ok.

I think you can get compensation though as the cause was mechanical and not weather related via the link Mackieman posted. But because they booked you on another airline I think your compensation may be reduced to half. Still, worth filing for I guess.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So I'm booking award travel to Spain in February on US Airways because it is basically half off. I have 200k miles and I could book two round trip economy tickets for 60k points + $120 or I could book two round trip business class tickets for 190k points + $120. The aircraft is an A330-300 so it looks like business would be pretty slick. On the other hand I typically only earn about 100k miles/year (including credit card) so I'm a little hesitant to burn that many miles as it might make it harder to bring my girlfriend with me when I get international assignments from work.

Someone tell me what to do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lyon posted:

So I'm booking award travel to Spain in February on US Airways because it is basically half off. I have 200k miles and I could book two round trip economy tickets for 60k points + $120 or I could book two round trip business class tickets for 190k points + $120. The aircraft is an A330-300 so it looks like business would be pretty slick. On the other hand I typically only earn about 100k miles/year (including credit card) so I'm a little hesitant to burn that many miles as it might make it harder to bring my girlfriend with me when I get international assignments from work.

Save them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Save them for AA 777-300.

I'm telling you I've spent days in Cathay's 773 biz and the AA product was as good and in ways better. I was as shocked as anyone else is too. Phenomenal spend of oneworld miles in my opinion.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay that works for me I will book economy and save my miles, thanks! Just as a heads up award travel to Europe in January and February on US Air is only 35k miles round trip. I'm planning to fly to Madrid and then take the train down to Seville where it averages around 55 degrees towards the end of February. Escaping the cold north east and getting to see Spain for relatively cheap seems win-win to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really liked Malaga, too

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Lyon posted:

I would say burn 'em but Div Miles have a terrible redemption rate for business. I don't think a J seat is worth 190K, period, unless you have more miles than you know what to do with.

Just don't sit on them for years. I used to just let them pile but miles are guaranteed to depreciate at startling rates. It's not good practice to sit on say +500K, even less really.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Anyone know of good SIM card rental for Japan that includes voice?

The ones I can find are data only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

I would say burn 'em but Div Miles have a terrible redemption rate for business. I don't think a J seat is worth 190K, period, unless you have more miles than you know what to do with.

Just don't sit on them for years. I used to just let them pile but miles are guaranteed to depreciate at startling rates. It's not good practice to sit on say +500K, even less really.

In fairness, it's a J seat for 95k.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

Last time I was there I got a portable hotspot rental from one of the vendors at NRT and just used Skype. Worked pretty well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And the US A330 J seat is some pretty drat nice hard product, I'm told. I never got a chance to fly on them before they left Star, though.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

....nevermind. I can't read.

At 95k for a round trip, I would burn it since a deval is coming to AA.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 14, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

95 for a business class seat is reasonable to me, but I'm not in to the whole maximize your redemption value. I like to figure out what I want to do and then just use the miles to do it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aristotle Animes posted:

....nevermind. I can't read.

At 95k for a round trip, I would burn it since a deval is coming to AA.

It's 100k for a NA to Europe seat round trip saver, even after the program changes.

Unless you're talking about an additional devaluation which I find extremely unlikely in the short term given that the new chart went into effect in June.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Quick question because I'm pretty clueless with rewards points and google isn't being helpful. I want to buy a ticket that costs 25k miles from delta and I currently have 18k.. The base ticket is like 600 so the miles seem like a good deal.

I have around 50k chase ultimate rewards points. Is there a way I can transfer 7k to Korea air and have it show up as 7k delta? Or will there be transfer fees?

I can easily transfer 20k to united and fly united but it's not quite as good of a deal for me.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm just renting an android phone from Global Advanced Telecom or something like that. Originally I rented a SIM with voice and data from them but it didn't work on my GS4 for some reason. Their reps told me that iPhones generally don't have problems but Android phones sometimes do due to different compatabilities and such.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Vomik posted:

Quick question because I'm pretty clueless with rewards points and google isn't being helpful. I want to buy a ticket that costs 25k miles from delta and I currently have 18k.. The base ticket is like 600 so the miles seem like a good deal.

I have around 50k chase ultimate rewards points. Is there a way I can transfer 7k to Korea air and have it show up as 7k delta? Or will there be transfer fees?

I can easily transfer 20k to united and fly united but it's not quite as good of a deal for me.

Nope, KE miles are not DL miles. I think only Amex transfers into DL.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Short answer: That won't work. Since you can't directly transfer to SkyPesos, check this method out:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/is-there-a-way-to-convert-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-into-delta-miles/

It looks like you'd spend 17.5k points. Do United.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I figure this is a good as a place as any to ask this... if you register for a credit card with some sort of signing bonus (i.e. 50,000 miles after purchasing $3000), are there restrictions in place that prevent you from cancelling the card and subsequently opening a new card of the same type and getting the bonus again? I'm sure there are, but I couldn't find anything specific on the internet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Buckhead posted:

I figure this is a good as a place as any to ask this... if you register for a credit card with some sort of signing bonus (i.e. 50,000 miles after purchasing $3000), are there restrictions in place that prevent you from cancelling the card and subsequently opening a new card of the same type and getting the bonus again? I'm sure there are, but I couldn't find anything specific on the internet.

Depends on the card. Check out FatWallet or Flyertalk and there are whole forums devoted to figuring out the best way to churn different cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Buckhead posted:

I can't speak to doubling up on bonuses, but I'd be more worried about affecting my credit score.