Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Here's a less tiny version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

JoelJoel posted:

... still bad rear end.

stop staring at those nipples

Forget the nipples; what the gently caress is going on with his armpit ?

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
He tore his pectoral muscles, if I remember correctly.

Say Nothing posted:

As thread author, I think the :justpost: rule should apply. Videos, gifs, whatever, as long as it's bad rear end.

939lb deadlift World Record, no weightlifting belt.

Konstantin Konstantinovs is one of my favourite powerlifters. Here's a video of him training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8s17YIbSY

Apparently he also works as a bodyguard.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Through the window! :stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JoelJoel posted:

Here's a less tiny version.

The shoes completely ruin this

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Istari posted:

Forget the nipples; what the gently caress is going on with his armpit ?

Forget all that - what PRECISELY happened to him? Are we talking like a massive... bruise? Or something much more horrible?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Samovar posted:

Forget all that - what PRECISELY happened to him? Are we talking like a massive... bruise? Or something much more horrible?

He tore his pec, really really badly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aramoro posted:

To be fair he still has three regular peoples share of pec untorn.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

More brutalchurches: Alava church.

The locals, being what they are, instantly nicknamed it "piruntorjuntabunkkeri" meaning "the anti-devil bunker" :v:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Aramoro posted:

Oh, is that it ? I thought the bar had dropped on him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this brutalist? Chicago's 17th Church of Christ, Scientist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is this brutalist? Chicago's 17th Church of Christ, Scientist.

If it's a simple shape with minimal adornment made of gigantic blocks of concrete it's brutalist.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quoting from the powerlifting thread:

gohuskies posted:

I know Ali, lifted at meets with her several times. She was swimming and got ran over by a boat, and the propeller did its thing. She was an athlete beforehand and powerlifting was one of the only things she could do afterwards. Deadlift and bench are impressive enough but the squat game ridiculous.

thong district
Jun 28, 2006
Selling dangerous liquids to idiots since April '06

Choco1980 posted:

I'm picturing him swimming in them Allah Uncle Scrooge.

Yes?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ultrafilter posted:

Quoting from the powerlifting thread:

Goddamn. :stare:

Note that Konstantin Konstantinovs no longer holds the deadlift world record, which is now 460kg (1015 lbs), held by Benedikt "Benni" Magnusson of Iceland:

Raw. No straps. And in the video he puts it down gently. As gently as one can put down half a loving ton of steel.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Goddamn. :stare:

Note that Konstantin Konstantinovs no longer holds the deadlift world record, which is now 460kg (1015 lbs), held by Benedikt "Benni" Magnusson of Iceland:

Raw. No straps. And in the video he puts it down gently. As gently as one can put down half a loving ton of steel.

Dude is basically a light duty pickup truck.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

For anyone that doesn't know, putting that down the way he did is probably about as (if not more) difficult as lifting it in the first place.

This dude is pretty loving :black101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He got 1016 recently.

ultrafilter posted:

Zydrunas Savickas deadlift 1155 at this year's Arnold Classic:

The difference between these two records is that Savickas is deadlifting in a strongman contest, which allows the use of straps. Straps allow you to hold more weight than you could with just your hands alone. Magnusson is deadlifting in a powerlifting style competition, which doesn't allow the straps. I'd really like to see what he can do with them.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ptVrk4vo8 is Magnusson deadlifting 1100 with straps.

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Oct 11, 2014

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know a lot about lifting (:goonsay:), but how high is the risk of like, popping a vertibra or something similarly horrible when lifting that much weight?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know the actual numbers, but the risk of injury is lower than most people think. It's definitely not zero though.

On the other hand, if something does go wrong, it's probably not going to go a little bit wrong.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't know a lot about lifting (:goonsay:), but how high is the risk of like, popping a vertibra or something similarly horrible when lifting that much weight?

His risk is obviously higher because of the sheer mass he's lifting, but most injuries occur because people don't know what they are doing, or learn wrong the add too much weight, or just gently caress around like idiots. When done properly all the major compound lifts are very safe when done right (which can be harder and take longer to learn than many realise).

In general lifting at all is pretty bad as. The fact that we hang out in a room and move heavy as gently caress things around to the point of exhaustion and eat crazy amounts of food to pack on mass for whatever end is metal, imo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jmcrofts posted:

When your lower back muscle are so thick that they bulge, then you can handle some really heavy poo poo.

Of course, you need strong abs, too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This poo poo is exactly what I needed to see before joining a gym and starting a 5x5 program.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mind the walrus posted:

This poo poo is exactly what I needed to see before joining a gym and starting a 5x5 program.

YOU ARE WEAK LEETLE MAN

I imagine all powerlifters have thick Russian accents.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JoelJoel posted:

His risk is obviously higher because of the sheer mass he's lifting, but most injuries occur because people don't know what they are doing, or learn wrong the add too much weight, or just gently caress around like idiots. When done properly all the major compound lifts are very safe when done right (which can be harder and take longer to learn than many realise).

In general lifting at all is pretty bad as. The fact that we hang out in a room and move heavy as gently caress things around to the point of exhaustion and eat crazy amounts of food to pack on mass for whatever end is metal, imo.

Consider the fact that from a resume of "Lift heavy things and be good at it", Arnold Schwarzenegger parlayed that into an A-list movie career spanning four decades and a stint running the world's fifth largest economy. Lifting owns is what I'm saying, lift more weights.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

YOU ARE WEAK LEETLE MAN

I imagine all powerlifters have thick Russian accents.

I'm short as gently caress so becoming like a "real" strongman was never in the cards, so having giant monolithic men talk down to me doesn't phase me anymore. It's more like a "I know, please don't crush me."

Also British powerlifters must have the best accents, especially if they're posh.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm short as gently caress so becoming like a "real" strongman was never in the cards, so having giant monolithic men talk down to me doesn't phase me anymore. It's more like a "I know, please don't crush me."

Also British powerlifters must have the best accents, especially if they're posh.

Being shorter would actually behoove you as a Strongman since you have less distance to cover when picking heavy poo poo up. One of the swolest dudes I know is only like 5'5".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ed Coan is 5'6" and he has a legitimate claim to being the greatest powerlifter of all time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I meant in the sense of like having one of the biggest upper limits for weight possible. My frame may be compact but it can only hold so much muscle, y'know? It's an ugly truth that when you're smaller, no matter how swole you are, you'll get wrecked by a bigger dude with a greater reach in the vast majority of cases no matter how well trained you are. We all love David vs. Goliath but the reality is that we love it because most of the time Goliath wins by a sizable margin.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I know a crap ton of people who are short as gently caress and for that reason decided to get gorilla jacked. I'd never want to fight a short muscley guy, it'd be like throwing down with the Wolverine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I meant in the sense of like having one of the biggest upper limits for weight possible. My frame may be compact but it can only hold so much muscle, y'know? It's an ugly truth that when you're smaller, no matter how swole you are, you'll get wrecked by a bigger dude with a greater reach in the vast majority of cases no matter how well trained you are. We all love David vs. Goliath but the reality is that we love it because most of the time Goliath wins by a sizable margin.

Shorter lifters have a huge advantage. At least starting out. If you're on the lanky side getting in to lifting is something of a mess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's like y'all are wholly incapable of actually processing what I wrote. I know short guys have an advantage and I'm actually impressed to see how much that Ed Coan could lift, but that's not what I'm talking about-- I'm talking about the real upper limits of what's possible. Guys like Ed Coan may be great but they're also the exception due to the raw physics of taller-yet-still-reasonably-compact guys being able to put on more muscle fiber if both of them train equally well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

It's like y'all are wholly incapable of actually processing what I wrote. I know short guys have an advantage and I'm actually impressed to see how much that Ed Coan could lift, but that's not what I'm talking about-- I'm talking about the real upper limits of what's possible. Guys like Ed Coan may be great but they're also the exception due to the raw physics of taller-yet-still-reasonably-compact guys being able to put on more muscle fiber if both of them train equally well.

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood. I have a complex.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

ultrafilter posted:

Ed Coan is 5'6" and he has a legitimate claim to being the greatest powerlifter of all time.

this wiki also says he used steroids

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vashro posted:

this wiki also says he used steroids

A weightlifter using steroids? Now I've heard everything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood. I have a complex.

:golfclap:

Well played would whine again.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 13, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Giants are badass.

This guy is George Bell, a 7'8" sheriff.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If you are a giant and manage not to get pressured in to playing basketball, that's really more bad rear end to me than being custom built for a sport.

Like you could never just be a big strong fat guy and be guaranteed a football spot. You'd still have to have good hand eye coordination and great balance. But if you're tall, gently caress it, lets stick him under the basket and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ElGroucho posted:

If you are a giant and manage not to get pressured in to playing basketball, that's really more bad rear end to me than being custom built for a sport.

Like you could never just be a big strong fat guy and be guaranteed a football spot. You'd still have to have good hand eye coordination and great balance. But if you're tall, gently caress it, lets stick him under the basket and see what happens.

Oh hey, it's Manute Bol.
But if you have killed a lion with a spear, who is qualified to make fun of you about anything ever?