Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

JHVH-1 posted:

I'm one of those weird people that play things like Battlefield or Call of Duty games story mode and enjoys it, and then plays the online but sucks at it. I finished BF4 single player today and it was fun but short like all the other multiplayer shooters these days. I see Call of Duty: Ghosts is on sale for $30 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Ghosts-Hardened-PlayStation-4/dp/B00EEMLMW0 and I guess that would be good since I don't own that game anywhere. I would play these on PC but I don't have a PC that could handle it as goods the PS4 and I like using a controller anyway.

Your missing out man, BF4 is probably the best multiplayer shooter out right now. It does take playing a view matches to get decent at it as you learn all the maps and equipment but it is so worth it. All the DLC add really fun maps. Well most of the maps are good anyway, a couple are merely "okay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Originally the devs for Lords were extremely insulted by being compared to the * Souls games, but they seem to have embraced it now. I like a lot of the things they're doing to make their game different; I'm gonna end up grabbing it day one (and maybe regretting it later).

I'm actually kinda surprised there's not a thread for it.

I saw the game at a con and they were hyping a Dark Souls connection there right down to mirroring the promotion Dark Souls 2 ran the previous year at the con. I was very unimpressed by what I played. The control were a little awkward, mechanics seemed half baked, and the story/art was all Blizzard style bad Warhammer fanfic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

The control were a little awkward, mechanics seemed half baked, and the story/art was all Blizzard style bad Warhammer fanfic.

all of that was true of darksiders 1 and that game was fun as heck.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

I'd be super down for LBP3 if they fixed the physics to make them less floaty and weird.
The new developers have stated that this was something they felt was important to address, so you may get your wish. Personally I don't mind the physics at all. I get the complaints and I remember feeling the same way when I first started playing the original, but I think it's something you can get used to and even learn to appreciate after spending some time with the game.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Went ahead and locked in a $29 tradein for Destiny at Amazon. This game is pretty loving terrible and I wish I'd taken it to Gamestop when I could have gotten $45.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

LBP seems like a forced franchise. Like, something that they talk up as if it's huge, but never actually garnered the massive following they hoped it did..

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

a cop posted:

LBP seems like a forced franchise. Like, something that they talk up as if it's huge, but never actually garnered the massive following they hoped it did..

No way, it was rad as hell. Mechanics aren't everything, it had a shitload of charm and for a console game a very powerful level editor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The first one was huge but the sequel definitely failed to catch on. Can't blame them for trying again but I wouldn't expect to see a 4 if this one doesn't take off.

Remember LBP came out before the Wii version of New Super Mario Bros. and the coop/perceived old schoolness of the game was part of the appeal as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sony probably loved it since they could say that users were making content for one of their exclusive games like crazy, which has got to be good for PR.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

This will actually be the fifth one

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

cat doter posted:

Let's get down to the real problem with Destiny, the FoV! gently caress frames per second, I feel like I have tunnel vision in that game! It's bad and I don't like it!

I don't know why developers are so allergic to basic PC options like separate volume sliders or FOV slider. You can have the game slowly render less and less the higher FOV you go and I wouldn't mind. Warframe on the PS4 lets us do whatever. At least it isn't Halo 4's FOV with a dumb helmet border.

Also the Destiny hate is edgy as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Big Planet is a good seller but not a great seller. It does a million or two with each release and probably has a pretty small budget, plus it sells a lot of DLC.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Davincie posted:

Was killzone well received? i just tried it for a bit and didn't even last 30 minutes before turning it off in disgust. From the inane story (maybe its better if I played any of the other killzones?) to the awful feeling shooting and the way controlling your character feels everything rubbed me the wrong way

I am having a tough time playing the campaign of Killzone PS4, and I actually have enjoyed for the most part, the previous installments. I do however like the MP for a CoDlike experience that I don't get infuriated over, and just chill with. Having said that I just tried trading it in last week for GTAV pre-order, $7 is not worth it. I'll keep it and if it does go PSN+ freebie, then I guess I get that small amound worth back, or towards something else.

For the record I bought the game just to have a "PS4" game, like on disc, and in quality, instead of just having PS+ titles (sorry resogun), this however wasn't the best choice, much more of an impulse purchase.

So I stopped by Gamestop to find out they close at 6PM, which sort of makes me mad, because I want to throw them my money for that TEW game. I figure I can get my dumb plat in Trine 2, easy enough, having a new game for like 25+ days, might be nice since I don't expect to play GTAV SP at all when I get it. I just want to somehow adopt a cat in GTAO and kill fuckers that mess with my pet cat, if that is even possible.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 13, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I actually do enjoy most FPS single player campaigns. However I find every subsequent playthrough of the campaign makes it seem dumber and dumber, especially with Call of Duty. So if you're wanting to play some single-player FPS campaigns from Call of Duty, Killzone, ect, just rent it and finish it in a weekend. The only exceptions are for games like Wolfenstein.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm going to buy The Evil Within. The only thing I want to know is how the controls feel.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
One of my problems is playing on Hard from the get go. I tend to like games a lot more if I play through on easy just to familiarize myself with the game, then ease into a super hard run or unlocked hard difficulty, since by that point it should be a by-the-numbers game, not smarts or loving up through the controls.

This at least has kept me playing KZ:M a lot more than KZ:SF, since I still haven't gotten past that skyrail in KZ:sf, with that hilariously obvious bug, with the train car the player can walk through.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

No way, it was rad as hell. Mechanics aren't everything, it had a shitload of charm and for a console game a very powerful level editor.

I became super disappointed with LBP1 when I realized that it straight up was not a competent platformer. All the charm and content in the world doesn't help if the core mechanics are weak.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I have to agree. I wanted to like LBP with every fiber of my being, but I couldn't, nor could I convince the friends I wanted to play with.

I never have even bothered to launch LBP2 to even try it out. I was pretty disappointed with the prehistoric move mini-game they release as well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scyron posted:

I never have even bothered to launch LBP2 to even try it out. I was pretty disappointed with the prehistoric move mini-game they release as well.
Never played Prehistoric Moves but LBP2 was a huge leap forward from the first one. If you never gave the series a second glance after the first one you owe it you really should. They took what they already had and expanded the hell out of what could be done with the editor to the point where you weren't even constrained to making platformer levels. Each stage of the campaign introduced something new and some of the user levels were unbelievable. I remember coming across this level within the first week the game was released and just being astounded that someone made it in LBP.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

Your missing out man, BF4 is probably the best multiplayer shooter out right now. It does take playing a view matches to get decent at it as you learn all the maps and equipment but it is so worth it. All the DLC add really fun maps. Well most of the maps are good anyway, a couple are merely "okay".

I actually played a bit today multiplayer after I beat the single player. If I was just going to focus on single player and drop it I probably would have waited till it dropped in price.

I played a ton of Bad Company 2 multiplayer on PC and 360 and kinda liked that better. I also played probably just as much BF 1943. I still will put more time into BF4 and try different game modes. I definitely like playing it multiplayer better than the CoD stuff due to the vehicles, squad objectives, spotting mechanism.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

Went ahead and locked in a $29 tradein for Destiny at Amazon. This game is pretty loving terrible and I wish I'd taken it to Gamestop when I could have gotten $45.

Their value on the gamestop site is $35 now ($38.50 if you have pro) so its higher than amazon if it isn't too late. If you just want cash it might be less.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I was able to score $40 from a trade in at a brick-n-mortar Best Buy store but all you'll get out of them is an in store gift card. It wasn't a bad percentage to carve out of another game, but I don't know how quickly their Destiny price will depreciate.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Good to know how much you guys got from trade-ins.

Anyway, What's the multiplayer stuff with Shadow of Mordor all about. It sounded like getting invaded like in Diablo 3.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ularg posted:

I loving love it, this is my poo poo.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

a cop posted:

My 10 year old loves Little Big Planet more than he loves Minecraft. He's probably clocked more hours in LBP2 than almost every other game combined. Just being able to goof off with other kids in user made levels was awesome for him to kill time with.

Also, I bought DriveClub so a buddy and I could play together. Online is working fine and it seems like a pretty drat fun game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hekk posted:

My 10 year old loves Little Big Planet more than he loves Minecraft. He's probably clocked more hours in LBP2 than almost every other game combined. Just being able to goof off with other kids in user made levels was awesome for him to kill time with.

Also, I bought DriveClub so a buddy and I could play together. Online is working fine and it seems like a pretty drat fun game.

He's 10 and you haven't taught him how to recognize a bad game? For shame, game-dad.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I played about an hour of LittleBigPlanet when it first came out, on a friend's PS3. Never played it again, being a 360 guy for the whole of last gen.

I am so excited for LBP3. I want to be a little hilarious sack man and slap other sack men and play silly levels while two British dudes yell at each other.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

J-Spot posted:

Never played Prehistoric Moves but LBP2 was a huge leap forward from the first one. If you never gave the series a second glance after the first one you owe it you really should. They took what they already had and expanded the hell out of what could be done with the editor to the point where you weren't even constrained to making platformer levels. Each stage of the campaign introduced something new and some of the user levels were unbelievable. I remember coming across this level within the first week the game was released and just being astounded that someone made it in LBP.

I really only downloaded it to play Flower and Doom/wolfenstine remake. I never even got around to to playing those. For my ps3 I had a folder of PSN+ games and like none of them really got played, or when it they did they got deleted after I platinumed them, like Bioshock Infinite.

Maybe if I get my ps3 repaired I can go through my backlog and just start trying some of the titles I have zero interest in.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

He's 10 and you haven't taught him how to recognize a bad game? For shame, game-dad.

A 10 year old is better than you at a platformer that was hard for you because you couldn't learn how to jump differently than Mario.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Ularg posted:

Anyway, What's the multiplayer stuff with Shadow of Mordor all about. It sounded like getting invaded like in Diablo 3.

Kind of, every once in a while you'll get a mission to kill a captain that had killed one of your friends. Or you could just ignore it.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Can I just say Spelunky and Mario are like the perfect floatyness for platforming. I couldn't be bothered with how like wise, LBP was in floatyness, it just didn't feel right.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
LBP floatyness didn't both me too much because I always played it with a friend so when you're constantly bumping into and hitting each other, it saves you trouble.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Went back a few posts and didn't see it but any driveclub goon clubs that aren't filled? Pretty shut racer looking for a club. PSN is OMGzKakaniz

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Gamefly mailed Evil Within on Saturday, if I'm EXTREMELY lucky I'll have it before Tuesday, but either way, it'll be in my hot little hands soon and then we'll see how it stacks up against Resident Evil 4.

Though I doubt it'll have RE4's pants-on-head CRAZINESS late-game, like running from a giant midget Napoleon statue. Instead it's goreGoreGORE.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Neon Knight posted:

A 10 year old is better than you at a platformer that was hard for you because you couldn't learn how to jump differently than Mario.

It was a joke but good effort anyways.

Oh, and the platforming isn't bad because it's hard. It's bad because the controls and physics aren't tight and predictable, which is kind of really important in a platformer.

edit: in fact the platforming tends to actually be really easy in terms of what they ask you to do specifically because the controls are bad.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 13, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and used my :10bux: of best buy fun money to pre order The Evil Within.

The :10bux: I get back from that as a pre order bonus will either go to Far Cry 4, GTA V or Shadows of Mordor.

I asked amazon if they'd match the pre order bonus but they said that falls under price matching, so that kinda fizzled out. It was vaguely hilarious hearing the lady just loving STOP talking whatsoever when I said "Oh, oh well. I appreciate the call." when she was about to launch into this scripted speech about price matching, etc. Apparently I was one of the few, if only customers that didn't give her poo poo about a company policy she couldn't change.

Looks like I get to leave the house tuesday!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Went ahead and used my :10bux: of best buy fun money to pre order The Evil Within.

The :10bux: I get back from that as a pre order bonus will either go to Far Cry 4, GTA V or Shadows of Mordor.

I asked amazon if they'd match the pre order bonus but they said that falls under price matching, so that kinda fizzled out. It was vaguely hilarious hearing the lady just loving STOP talking whatsoever when I said "Oh, oh well. I appreciate the call." when she was about to launch into this scripted speech about price matching, etc. Apparently I was one of the few, if only customers that didn't give her poo poo about a company policy she couldn't change.

Looks like I get to leave the house tuesday!
Digital gaming and PSN have failed us :negative:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Two questions:

1) does the gold headset use power when it's running through the 3.5mm jack? Someone told me it's actually powered, but if it is I have no idea what its endurance is like in that mode.

2) any more word on a PS4 HBO app?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Two questions:

1) does the gold headset use power when it's running through the 3.5mm jack? Someone told me it's actually powered, but if it is I have no idea what its endurance is like in that mode.

2) any more word on a PS4 HBO app?

Regarding 1, no, it doesn't use power when you have it plugged into the controller. Because of that, you don't get to use the EQ features of the set because it's not technically on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
gently caress me trying to get the number 1 trial times in DriveClub is such a pain in the rear end, the first one is 1:46 or less right? Fastest I got was 1:46:106. I cannot beat my ghost and I have no idea how I took on some of those turns, it's pissing me off so much.

• Locked thread