Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ellic posted:

For anyone who cares, that Galant desk has mostly been removed from IKEA's site and has been replace by a new line called the Bekant. Similar shapes, slightly different T-Frame legs.

Actually looks like a pretty huge change, they can now be sit/stand desks with electrical adjustment:

Min. height: 22"
Max. height: 48"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, I just looked through the site, and BEKANT looks like it's there to take the high end/business-oriented part of the GALANT range. Obviously there's a big step up in price from the less elaborate GALANT stuff, to say nothing of the tabletop/leg bar stuff (which is really really good and really really cheap, btw! My own desk is $40 worth of IKEA, continues to look great, and has performed like a champ).

The electric standing desk stuff is moving somewhat close in price to some of the lower-end Geekdesk offerings. I wonder what their relative durability and performance figures are...

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
There are the non motorized versions which hover at the old Galant prices and the motorized adjustable ones that are like $600 which to me is nuts for a home solution. A human-scale or Ergotron would be more ideal albeit not and entire desk solution.

Either way, I think the Galant was great and notice a lot of people have them posted up in this thread so I thought the change was relevant to note.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, I just looked through the site, and BEKANT looks like it's there to take the high end/business-oriented part of the GALANT range. Obviously there's a big step up in price from the less elaborate GALANT stuff, to say nothing of the tabletop/leg bar stuff (which is really really good and really really cheap, btw! My own desk is $40 worth of IKEA, continues to look great, and has performed like a champ).

The electric standing desk stuff is moving somewhat close in price to some of the lower-end Geekdesk offerings. I wonder what their relative durability and performance figures are...

I would imagine the durability considering the materials aren't that great. However, it still is great to see a lower price point of entry for sit stand desks, if only to have the wonder of sit stand desk spread across the general populace more.

For anyone thinking about getting one of these, not having presets is a huge deal. You need some kind of reference point (My friends taped off the wall where the most frequent heights were) to be able to consistently get it into a comfortable position. It seems like a minor annoyance, but considering the lumbering speed these things move at, the time added builds up quickly, especially if you're changing heights on a daily basis.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 8, 2014

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
Why do you think this would be a low-quality desk? I ask because I'm seriously thinking of getting one and thought it was commercial quality like the Galant was. I put together a Galant for my brother and its solid as all get out. However I haven't seen the Bekant yet as its new.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I've been keeping my eye on the StandDesk that ran a Kickstarter months ago, and which is seemingly taking forever to come out, and the Bekant might be my affordable backup if the Kickstarter one sucks.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ellic posted:

Why do you think this would be a low-quality desk? I ask because I'm seriously thinking of getting one and thought it was commercial quality like the Galant was. I put together a Galant for my brother and its solid as all get out. However I haven't seen the Bekant yet as its new.

The 155 lb limit is what is iffy. I'm not trying to imply that this is some ramshackle desk, but that low of a weight limit isn't exactly comforting. Depending on your need, that may be fine, but with my monitors and audio gear, a small lean from my hands to push off while sitting is easily enough to go over.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Slowhanded posted:

The 155 lb limit is what is iffy. I'm not trying to imply that this is some ramshackle desk, but that low of a weight limit isn't exactly comforting. Depending on your need, that may be fine, but with my monitors and audio gear, a small lean from my hands to push off while sitting is easily enough to go over.

If you're talking about the motorized lift one, that might be the weight limit for the motor, and it might also be conservative.

However, from what I've seen, Ikea tends to replace its good furniture with cheaper, flimsier versions, especially when it comes to desks and tables.

I hope I never have to give up my Jerker desk. Love this drat thing.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 8, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Bekant is made with particle board and I thought the Galant was solid wood, but I may be wrong about that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Humerus posted:

I thought the Galant was solid wood,
lol does Ikea sell ANYTHING that is solid wood?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TenementFunster posted:

You can do nice stuff with their butcher block countertops and some leg stands.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

benisntfunny posted:

You can do nice stuff with their butcher block countertops and some leg stands.

I've been leaning towards something like this with steel pipe legs. I love the old world industrial look and feel of butcher block with steel. Anyone have experience getting the pipes cut / threaded?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, actually a lot of things. Are you for real?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, actually a lot of things. Are you for real?
are you? actual hard wood furniture is something you find for cheap, or in a pack flat boxes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Humerus posted:

The Bekant is made with particle board and I thought the Galant was solid wood, but I may be wrong about that.

Galant was also particle board. I've been using mine for 10-11 years (it's got the old beech finish, looks great still), and it's moved like 7 times, hopefully the Bekant is as durable.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 8, 2014

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Have I just been that lucky? I think almost everything I've bought at Ikea has been actual wood. Not high-quality hardwood, perhaps, but definitely not the cheap particle board crap you'd find at Walmart.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PitViper posted:

Have I just been that lucky? I think almost everything I've bought at Ikea has been actual wood. Not high-quality hardwood, perhaps, but definitely not the cheap particle board crap you'd find at Walmart.

I think you're probably wrong. Want to show some examples? Generally every single thing at IKEA is some type of manufactured wood.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

benisntfunny posted:

I think you're probably wrong. Want to show some examples? Generally every single thing at IKEA is some type of manufactured wood.

Most of the things that come packaged as an actual desk are generic particle board but if you're willing to mix and match there's the GERTON desktop that's solid wood and if you look into the countertops section a lot of the NUMERÄR options are wood.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

benisntfunny posted:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=solid+wood

Not everything there is solid wood, but some is. Ikea has a reputation for cheap crap, and much of it is. Some is pretty good for the price.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Krailor posted:

Most of the things that come packaged as an actual desk are generic particle board but if you're willing to mix and match there's the GERTON desktop that's solid wood and if you look into the countertops section a lot of the NUMERÄR options are wood.

I understand that. Which is why I mentioned them before. I am just slightly in disbelief that someone could say "Almost everything" they bought from IKEA was actual wood. Unless:

A) They've only bought counter tops and a select desk topper
B) They have no idea what they're not actually buying real wood

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

A search query on solid wood does not mean that all that is solid wood.

Case and point:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60178415/
BEST WOODEN MIRROR I'VE EVER SEEN.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Not everything there is solid wood, but some is. Ikea has a reputation for cheap crap, and much of it is. Some is pretty good for the price.

^^OH MY GOD. Thank you.

I was literally about to waste 20 minutes pulling examples that I knew of.

But yeah, my kitchen table is IKEA and it's solid pine.

benisntfunny posted:

Case and point:

Now you're just being a twat. Obviously not everything in the search query is 100% SOLID WOOD, but the point still stands that not everything in the IKEA catalog is TOTALLY PARTICLEBOARD ALL OF THE TIME, which is what y'all have been saying.

And a lot of the stuff in the query actually fits the bill anyway: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90286847/

And I don't think a fiberboard back panel counts if literally everything else is pine: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50268850/ http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80268844/ http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50268831/

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 8, 2014

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
On a side note, my qualms about this desk are primarily about the lifting hardware. I have no doubt that the particle board can support well above 200 lbs; it's the chassis that will probably be the failure point. I guess if you don't adjust the height often it won't be as critical of an issue, but at that point it might be a better investment to go hand-crank rather than motorized.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

doctorfrog posted:

I don't think that reputation really holds true anymore. Cheap crap is taking a walk through the furniture section in Walmart. The Ikea secret sauce isn't really selling cheap crap, its selling cheap good enough stuff with more emphasis on style than you're going to find outside of top end manufacturers. Even their hollow fiberboard stuff stands up pretty well, I've been using a few Kallax (Expedit successor) bookcases as a makeshift standing desk for several months and have had no problems with its structural soundness.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Electric Bugaloo posted:

my kitchen table is IKEA and it's solid pine.
ah yes, nature's MDF

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Case and point:

The frame is pine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The key to Ikea's furniture is that generally the mounting points on it are actually anchored/strengthened. The really cheap poo poo from Walmart/Target has you running screws pretty much directly into the particle, and it literally just falls apart because the screws pull all the threading out. I buy Ikea stuff with the intention of being able to move it between apartments, I bought Target stuff fully realizing I would never be able to reassemble it.

The Galant desktops were definitely particleboard, but they sat atop a metal frame which the legs screwed into, so I dunno how you would manage to actually stress the desktop enough to cause a problem without managing to put enough weight to bend the frame, as well.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Stuck two end tables on top of my desk and trying out this standing desk thing. It's actually almost the exact right height - maybe an inch too tall, but these are just cheap Ikea tables and I'll just hack the bottoms off the legs if need be. I have hard-rear end wood floors though, so if I decide to keep it I definitely will need a mat of some sort.

Just typed up a short paper, and it wasn't nearly as annoying to do so while standing as I thought. Also, I effectively just tripled the surface area of my desk, since the desktop is now open (all of the computer stuff is on the end tables, and the legs don't block the desk much) and I don't need to leave room under the desk for my feet anymore.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

IuniusBrutus posted:

Stuck two end tables on top of my desk and trying out this standing desk thing. It's actually almost the exact right height - maybe an inch too tall, but these are just cheap Ikea tables and I'll just hack the bottoms off the legs if need be. I have hard-rear end wood floors though, so if I decide to keep it I definitely will need a mat of some sort.

Just typed up a short paper, and it wasn't nearly as annoying to do so while standing as I thought. Also, I effectively just tripled the surface area of my desk, since the desktop is now open (all of the computer stuff is on the end tables, and the legs don't block the desk much) and I don't need to leave room under the desk for my feet anymore.

Definitely get a mat! Your quads will thank you. Try not to lock out, shift weight to get circulation going occasionally. Make sure your monitor is at a comfortable height, too. Had big neck pains when I started out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

The key to Ikea's furniture is that generally the mounting points on it are actually anchored/strengthened. The really cheap poo poo from Walmart/Target has you running screws pretty much directly into the particle, and it literally just falls apart because the screws pull all the threading out. I buy Ikea stuff with the intention of being able to move it between apartments, I bought Target stuff fully realizing I would never be able to reassemble it.

The Galant desktops were definitely particleboard, but they sat atop a metal frame which the legs screwed into, so I dunno how you would manage to actually stress the desktop enough to cause a problem without managing to put enough weight to bend the frame, as well.
I'm running a Galant right now - it's a rockstar, and I'm actually here to ask a question about improving my setup a bit. That said, you mentioning the cheap Target poo poo reminded me of maybe my best return.

I bought a bookshelf from Target once because I am stupid. I took it home and put it together, and as you said, screwing directly into the particle, the entire thing just basically fell apart. I am impatient at the best of times, so I ripped the rest of it apart where it stood, crammed it into the box (one end open, poo poo everwhere) and took what could only be considered shards of wood back to Target for a full refund. I really wish I had snapped a picture of the box I wheeled up to that poor customer service department, it was just mayhem. I am currently using 2 Ikea bookshelves - the only change I felt necessary were some larger shelf pegs that you can pick up from any hardware store for a dollar.

On to my question. I have a massive Ikea Galant desk which takes up all the room in the world. However, since it is so large, I've not been very efficient with space. When you have all the room in the world, why bother? Except now, things have become a little tight, because again, I'm not being efficient here at all. Anyway, my point - I have 9 external USB hard drives sitting on a corner of the desk. They just sit there. Help me out, what's the best way to organize them and free up some space? I wouldn't mind turning a row of 9 into a stack of 9, assuming it's a shelf that lets me feed cables through the back, maintain some space for ventilation, etc. Anyone have suggestions?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On to my question. I have a massive Ikea Galant desk which takes up all the room in the world. However, since it is so large, I've not been very efficient with space. When you have all the room in the world, why bother? Except now, things have become a little tight, because again, I'm not being efficient here at all. Anyway, my point - I have 9 external USB hard drives sitting on a corner of the desk. They just sit there. Help me out, what's the best way to organize them and free up some space? I wouldn't mind turning a row of 9 into a stack of 9, assuming it's a shelf that lets me feed cables through the back, maintain some space for ventilation, etc. Anyone have suggestions?
One of those VHS storage shelf things or something like this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/395141/Office-Depot-Brand-Wire-File-And/

Or just don't have a bunch of external hard drives plugged in at the same time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I wouldn't mind turning a row of 9 into a stack of 9, assuming it's a shelf that lets me feed cables through the back, maintain some space for ventilation, etc. Anyone have suggestions?
I stacked 4 in a home made shelf thing that was completely open on all sides, with about an inch in between each for ventilation and the top one died due to the combined rising heat. I wish I was kidding. I personally wouldn't risk stacking vertically again. Some external enclosures just have terrible (no) ventilation, keep the drive wrapped in it's own bubble of heat and putting it in a warmer environment fucks up any inefficient way of dissipating the heat they have.

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.
My haven from reality.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

xblackdog posted:

My haven from reality.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know more about whatever the hell this is you've got going on here.

Tell us about it!

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know more about whatever the hell this is you've got going on here.

Tell us about it!

I used to use a full size keyboard, but recently got a JD40 40% keyboard with MX clears, and fell in love with it. The problem was I use a numpad regularly so I got my G80-3700 with MX blacks. I got the TechKeys business card(osu! clicker) awhile back as a macro controller for Mumble, but when I got my G80-3700 I no longer needed it so I set it up with linear 68g switches and a "z""x""z" layout for Osu!. I started getting more into Osu! so I got the Huion tablet since I wasn't liking using a mouse.

I got the Grifiti wrist wrests in a mass drop since my old one was to small, the Tech mat was never intended as a desk pad. I realized that it was the same material as my mouse pad, and decided to start using it as one.

If you've never seen a 40% keyboard they work on mostly function layers, so you rarely move your hands from home row. It take a bit of getting used to but once you do it's hard to go back to a normal keyboard. 40% keyboards are also really really small so you can start to add more things like a tablet. The numpad I really like because I can put it where ever I feel it's needed, rather than on the right side of my keyboard. That alone frees up a lot of space allowing me to be less spread out while gaming.

This is the function layers I use on my JD40 if you're interested http://imgur.com/a/2WLmf

Hope this helped. If you have any more question I'd be more than happy to answer them.

xblackdog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2014

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

xblackdog posted:

Hope this helped. If you have any more question I'd be more than happy to answer them.

You wouldn't happen to have a normal sized keyboard you could set in front of all of that stuff just for reference to see how big everything is do you? Reason I ask is because it seems like the idea of that small keyboard is so that you can have everything tight and compact but then you go and add numpads and clicker cards and tablets and now it looks like it is no longer small at all.

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Looks like the red wrist rest is about the size of a standard keyboard

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
After looking at this JD40 stuff, all I can say is :wtc: some of it looks neat but I can't seem to understand it's functionality.

http://imgur.com/a/Nbb4o

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.

100% Dundee posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a normal sized keyboard you could set in front of all of that stuff just for reference to see how big everything is do you? Reason I ask is because it seems like the idea of that small keyboard is so that you can have everything tight and compact but then you go and add numpads and clicker cards and tablets and now it looks like it is no longer small at all.

Here ya go!

To add all that other stuff (excluding the numpad I suppose) would take up a ton of space with a full size. I actually got it as just a neat little collectors item more than an actual keyboard. I wasn't expecting to actually really like using it to the point of not using my full size keyboard anymore. It's kinda funny, I've gotten so used to typing on it that I can type at 80wpm with it, but with a regular keyboard I drop down to about 70wpm because I make so many errors with symbols like " '.,?

ILikeVoltron posted:

After looking at this JD40 stuff, all I can say is :wtc: some of it looks neat but I can't seem to understand it's functionality.

http://imgur.com/a/Nbb4o

Normally there isn't one other than never leaving home row; however, it's really easy to transport, especially since I can practically fit it in my pocket. Great if you don't like using the keyboards provided by school/work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ever since buying a ten-keyless Filco mechanical keyboard, i've really warmed up to the idea of smaller sized than standard keyboards. I think the best "smallest" keyboard i've seen is probably the Happy Hacker keyboard. Thought about buying one once or twice but never pulled the trigger.

These smaller keyboards are great for me though, because I like being able to put my hands directly in front of me when I type while also being able to place the mouse on my desk in a relatively sane, ergonomic position instead of having to set it eight feet over to my right like you normally have to do with a full-sized keyboard. Well, either that or I could put the mouse in a relatively normal position and type with both hands cocked left of center,which is especially obnoxious once you haven't had to do that for a while.

I don't think I'd ever have the compulsion to design and build my own one-off keyboard though. Probably because if I did, I'd never want to use anything else.