Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This XJ's previous owner is gonna drive me nuts. I suspect it was the guy before the guy I bought it from, as 99% of the mechanical problems with the thing are corrected, but the little poo poo is still solidly bullshit.

Today's example starts with a question. "I wonder why my fog lights look so cloudy? Maybe I can just polish the lenses..."

Oh.

Oh god.

Oh god, why. :gonk:

gently caress that. gently caress everything about that. :argh:

Much better.

I wonder what else is hosed about these. Wait, what's this switch?

A wire that goes through the firewall?

Well, at least the I6 is pretty. :j:

Something seems to be missing here...

Oh, you filthy rat bastard.

Fucker's behind the battery tray, too, so it's gonna loving stay there until I get the new battery cables and battery that are my next project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
lovely aftermarket lamps probably self destructed, they do that.

lovely fog lamp wiring, but nowhere near as bad as I've seen. At least he used a relay instead of running unfused power via tattered romex or speaker wire through the firewall to a big switch and back to the fog lights. Yes, I've seen both of those. They used wire nuts and copious quantities of duct tape.

Those fuses and relays were supposed to be missing unless he intentionally deleted some options and went as far as removing the terminals from inside the PDC housing, which isn't that easy unless you know the trick, which he clearly didn't since he wires things like that. So no worries there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nah, that third spot up should be the fog lamp relay, though. :) I'm probably going to wire the stock ones back up for now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

thelightguy posted:

I mean, you say that, but then I'm buying a Fiat 500 Abarth next month which manages four and five star rankings without being the size of a WWII tank.

My point was that the evolution of safety standards have driven vehicle sizes and weights (and beltlines) up up up.

Your Fiat has a wheelbase of 90" and a curb weight of 2500 lbs. That's 16" and 1400 lbs more than the old ones. Overall length is up 23".

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 12, 2014

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

:hfive:

That's how I used to describe mine: two plush velour couches bolted to a fat V8, with some metal and glass thrown around them because ~laws~. Instead of an airbag, my passenger dash said "Ride Engineered :smugdog:".

No ABS/traction control/airbag? No problem. :dukedog:

I like to say that the only piece of safety equipment in my van is me, but flogging my old rear end Vandura at twice over the speed limit in the middle of loving Nowhere, Missouri is a pretty strong argument otherwise.

I did the same (tires chirping) too in that van; I can still do it since it's still running. Even needing a tuneup and a bunch of other work on it, a V8 mated to a 700R4 and 3.73 gears can still lay down a fair bit of torque, at least for first gear.

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
This is a top fuel drag boat that blew its engine yesterday at lake Havasu.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Riscas posted:

This is a top fuel drag boat that blew its engine yesterday at lake Havasu.

:stonk:

What even is that piece sticking out the side? A wrist pin?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Looks like it. My first thought was 'how did that get there?!'

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's probably the most impressive blown engine I've ever seen. Usually it's maybe a hole in the block and a bunch of tiny shrapnel scattered on everything. But that...loving everything is wrecked spectacularly.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
That is a crazy valve size to piston size ratio :O

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah. These things make about 8000 horsepower so when things go poo poo gets real.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, you filthy rat bastard.

Fucker's behind the battery tray, too, so it's gonna loving stay there until I get the new battery cables and battery that are my next project.

kastein posted:

lovely aftermarket lamps probably self destructed, they do that.

lovely fog lamp wiring, but nowhere near as bad as I've seen. At least he used a relay instead of running unfused power via tattered romex or speaker wire through the firewall to a big switch and back to the fog lights. Yes, I've seen both of those. They used wire nuts and copious quantities of duct tape.

Mine were OEM (have a switch on the dashboard for them) and as far as I can tell the stock location for the relay was screwed into the side of the engine bay just above the battery. So, if the screw popped out or the stupid little plastic casing broke, it would fall down behind the battery like that (mine had).

I just replaced the lights on my 88, because either they ate the sockets inside or some desperate thief really needed two lovely little bulb sockets. The housings looked kinda aftermarket, but all the wiring seemed stock so I dunno. I replaced them with $60 Hella 500 lamps, because I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash on something nice but was tired of the old ones not working. I cut off the old plug pigtails, butt-crimped them onto the Hellas (the blue wire = ground, wtf) and slapped them in. They work fine running off the OEM wiring harness - the Hella kit came with a new switch and harness, so maybe whoever installed your kit got something similar and didn't bother to splice it into the existing stock setup? Who knows.

Before/after

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
From my office window today - a horrible mechanical failure caused by a horrible driver failure.

Note bonus :feelsgood: - could this be a goontruck?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The 'fix minor bumps' does it for me. It's about as good as the 'you shop, we drop' Tesco trailer that fell from its tractor.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The 'fix minor bumps' does it for me. It's about as good as the 'you shop, we drop' Tesco trailer that fell from its tractor.

Shouldn't someone with an HGV licence always know the height of their load? Especially before driving under a very obvious brick railway bridge with the height printed on it in big numbers.

Goon truckers please weigh in (no pun intended).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saga posted:

Shouldn't someone with an HGV licence always know the height of their load? Especially before driving under a very obvious brick railway bridge with the height printed on it in big numbers.

Goon truckers please weigh in (no pun intended).

Going by the discussion last time I saw it come up: At least in the US, the route is typically set up by a route planner at the central office, and deviating from it leads to unpleasant accusations of wasting time/fuel. The planner will/should take things like low bridges into account, but sometimes they don't. Add in the typical poo poo pay and borderline illegal working hours, and you get drivers uncritically and uncaringly driving the route they got.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Liquid Communism posted:

This was the very first car I ever got in a wreck in.

Mine was significantly more rusty. Picked it up for $400 out of a Walmart parking lot. God, I miss that terrible fucker. It was like driving a couch with a rocket strapped to it. 4200lbs curb weight with a 5 liter v-8.

I got rear ended by a cop in it, didn't even scratch the bumper but put his cattle catcher into his radiator.

gently caress yes.

I had the exact same car, same fake wood and everything. Mine had the 307 Olds engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhotoKirk posted:

gently caress yes.

I had the exact same car, same fake wood and everything. Mine had the 307 Olds engine.

I always wanted to get one of those and put a diesel in it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

NoVA. It's probably alright though, I managed to thread a plug on there for a turn or so (just to test). I'd imagine if the plug blew out while still in the threads, the top ones would be missing at least. Plus it looks like you can see the bottom of the threads in this pic:

also a horribly dirty piston

sweet picture.
You're right, it's probably fine.

I'm in Richmond but am frequently up your way. If you ever need something, hit me up.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My first ride ( Early 1990's) '79 Wagoneer that I ever got into a wreck with

Fucker would get past anything but a gas station. AWD with an AMC 360 2 speed Powerglide Auto. Almost hit a corolla head on overtaking in bad visibility, went into a ditch at 60+ MPH, came out the other side unharmed. The Corolla flipped. I was 16 and 2 months. Didn't drive again for a year. Luckily no one was killed.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

sweet picture.
You're right, it's probably fine.

I'm in Richmond but am frequently up your way. If you ever need something, hit me up.

Yeah, I spoke too soon, something was hosed in there. Pulled up a thread with the new plug and no matter how hard I try, it won't seat at all anymore. :shrug: Gonna try to figure out how to pull the head and take it to a mechanic shop.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Charlie is a bike repair shop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

My first ride ( Early 1990's) '79 Wagoneer

Wrong thread.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Farking Bastage posted:

My first ride ( Early 1990's) '79 Wagoneer

Fucker would get past anything but a gas station. AWD with an AMC 360 2 speed Powerglide Auto. Almost hit a corolla head on overtaking in bad visibility, went into a ditch at 60+ MPH, came out the other side unharmed. The Corolla flipped. I was 16 and 2 months. Didn't drive again for a year. Luckily no one was killed.

To be pedantic, your '79 Wagoneer had a TH400 Three speed :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Ozmiander posted:

To be pedantic, your '79 Wagoneer had a TH400 Three speed :)

That would explain it then. I think first was gone and I just assumed it was a 2 speed.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
A short vid and some pics of the aircooled motor I took out of my old '74 van. It overheated while on a long motorway trip (in 2002) - the linkage that holds the air 'flaps' in the fan housing was apparently loose and was rubbing on the fanshroud, where it eventually rubbed through, dropping the flaps into a closed position, which I only noticed when it lost all power, I managed to exit at the next junction, pull over and switch the engine off. I though it was on fire, as smoke was pouring off it, but this was just the oil burning off the block as it had got so hot.
Got towed home, buy which time it had cooled enough to just about run, so I took it to my mechanic who explained it was mostly toast, but as the case was new a few months previously, suggested fitting new pistons and barrels (they had ovaled) to keep me going until I could get a new engine - money was in short supply back then and this was my only transport to work.

As you'll see from the pics, the bearings had got a little hot and developed a bit of play. To say it was loud would be an understatement, I had to drive it for about three weeks like this, and it sounded, literally, like a metal tin full of spanners.
Luckily I found another van going cheap, which I bought with the plan to swap the engine out, but it turns out the whole van was in better condition that my original one, so I didn't bother, and ended up just using the new van instead (it's the one in my avatar)
I eventually scrapped the first van about six years ago when I lost storage, wish I'd kept it now, ...

TL,DR - VW aircooled engine massivly overheated, developing some play in the bearings ...

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLVSocvNZ0&feature=youtu.be

Pics:

crank, -very- scored, you can easily feel these with a fingernail

bearing shell, equally scored, no shine at all:

con rod itself, seems ok, the bearings didn't spin:

Basically, I'm stripping this engine down to see what bits I can keep in my spares box, and which bits are going in the metal bin :)

edit: the sawdust looking stuff is actually sawdust - the engine lived under my sawbench for years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spiny posted:

A short vid and some pics of the aircooled motor I took out of my old '74 van. It overheated while on a long motorway trip (in 2002) - the linkage that holds the air 'flaps' in the fan housing was apparently loose and was rubbing on the fanshroud, where it eventually rubbed through, dropping the flaps into a closed position, which I only noticed when it lost all power, I managed to exit at the next junction, pull over and switch the engine off. I though it was on fire, as smoke was pouring off it, but this was just the oil burning off the block as it had got so hot.
Got towed home, buy which time it had cooled enough to just about run, so I took it to my mechanic who explained it was mostly toast, but as the case was new a few months previously, suggested fitting new pistons and barrels (they had ovaled) to keep me going until I could get a new engine - money was in short supply back then and this was my only transport to work.

As you'll see from the pics, the bearings had got a little hot and developed a bit of play. To say it was loud would be an understatement, I had to drive it for about three weeks like this, and it sounded, literally, like a metal tin full of spanners.
Luckily I found another van going cheap, which I bought with the plan to swap the engine out, but it turns out the whole van was in better condition that my original one, so I didn't bother, and ended up just using the new van instead (it's the one in my avatar)
I eventually scrapped the first van about six years ago when I lost storage, wish I'd kept it now, ...

TL,DR - VW aircooled engine massivly overheated, developing some play in the bearings ...

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLVSocvNZ0&feature=youtu.be

Pics:

crank, -very- scored, you can easily feel these with a fingernail

bearing shell, equally scored, no shine at all:

con rod itself, seems ok, the bearings didn't spin:

Basically, I'm stripping this engine down to see what bits I can keep in my spares box, and which bits are going in the metal bin :)

edit: the sawdust looking stuff is actually sawdust - the engine lived under my sawbench for years.

You could probably save that crank.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Really ? I'm not sure I have the knowledge though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spiny posted:

Really ? I'm not sure I have the knowledge though.

Drop it by a machine shop and see what they say, they can usually shave it down enough to clean it up and use oversize bearings to make up the difference.

Most of the VW motors have three different bearing sized specifically for this purpose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks good to me.

You could probably dump iron filings into the carb and get 50k out of one of those engines.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Drop it by a machine shop and see what they say, they can usually shave it down enough to clean it up and use oversize bearings to make up the difference.

Most of the VW motors have three different bearing sized specifically for this purpose.

Plus if it's an OG crank, it's waaaaaaaay better than any of the Chinese junk being made these days.

spiny
May 20, 2004

yup, I'm pretty sure it's a gen VW crank - the con rod shells have the little VW stamp and a VW part number, so it might be either original or factory rebuilt I guess. I'll give it all a good clean once it's apart and see what I've got :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spiny posted:

yup, I'm pretty sure it's a gen VW crank - the con rod shells have the little VW stamp and a VW part number, so it might be either original or factory rebuilt I guess. I'll give it all a good clean once it's apart and see what I've got :)

Well, at least don't trash it. Save it for a rainy day, it's probably well worth a couple buck to just have a machine shop touch it up, resurface the crank and throw it in a box.

spiny
May 20, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Well, at least don't trash it. Save it for a rainy day, it's probably well worth a couple buck to just have a machine shop touch it up, resurface the crank and throw it in a box.

yeah, i'll put it all in my 'to do' pile - I've got a 1200 that is 95% complete that I'd like to get running too, not that I have anything that it'll fit in :) plus a few 1300s and 1500s in various states of dismantlement.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What? Looks like legit parking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tater_salad posted:

What? Looks like legit parking.

Ugh, this parking hard is getting out of hand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The starter motor on the LLV probably just finally rebelled and spun backwards while she was delivering mail. I mean, have you seen mail carriers drive those things? Start it up, drive to one house, turn it off, deliver mail, start it up, drive to the next house down, turn it off, deliver mail...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

The starter motor on the LLV probably just finally rebelled and spun backwards while she was delivering mail. I mean, have you seen mail carriers drive those things? Start it up, drive to one house, turn it off, deliver mail, start it up, drive to the next house down, turn it off, deliver mail...

Would a hybrid or vehicle with a start / stop system be a good choice for their replacements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Put a camry hybrid drivetrain in a box with wheels and you'd have the perfect mail van.