Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I still think that maybe not a SABRmetric themed broadcast but at the very least a stat themed broadcast for fantasy baseball or even the layman could be done, but these visuals I think need to be handled better, so I thought it over and came up with a crude redesign, granted it would still need a lot of work, but it might be better than the current one:

In this setup, in order to save screen space the second camera angle has been eliminated altogether, in its place is an enlarged view of the main camera angle. Alternatively, going along the idea that this broadcast would be done as an alternative video feed done on something as FS1, MLBN, or MLB.tv, this main viewspace of the game could be used to show camera angles different from the one on the default broadcast.

In addition, taking a note from the regular broadcasting on MLBN, FS1, and elsewhere, a medium sized sidebar has been added to the left side of the screen. In this mockup it's being used to explain x-fip but it could also be used for either stats or other information pertinent to the game.

Finally, at the bottom of the main viewpoint is brief information about the batter and pitcher. I put the normal information one would find on the scoreboard at any normal ballpark, but these could be used to give any information or data about either player. This is the area that would probably need the most work, as space is an issue.

But as to whether or not a stats themed broadcast is a good idea, I would have to say no for television. Maybe on something like MLB.tv but you're only shooting yourself in the foot by splitting up your broadcasts between two different channels.

The one thing I've noticed missing about every broadcast ever that's on every ballpark scoreboard is the upcoming lineups for both teams, and I think that's something that could have great value on a broadcast like this, especially in the postseason with matchups and the relatively high frequency of substitution. While Buck's been pretty consistent with the O's lineup, I don't really know any of the other teams' well enough to know in advance who's coming up next and it might get a passing mention from the commentators but if you're going to devote screen space to showing information then that's a pretty good piece of information to put up. If you wanted to delve into win probabilities and stuff like that you could pull up the upcoming batters vs. the current pitcher and the pitcher warming up in the bullpen. I know we all like to backseat manage around here but it would be great to just have that information up on screen to have something to back up the "pulling McPitcher at this point was a good/bad decision" discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Northjayhawk posted:

Rex Hudler on TV is Denny's evil bizarro-world twin in that he's an excited goofy clown.

Lefebvre and Physioc probably strike a happy balance between the extremes.

You're right, Hud and Matthews have the same absolute value. It's just that Denny is good at his job. :colbert:

It is probably because I grew up listening to him, but I adore Denny Matthews as a commentator. Like, about the only guy I would trade him for would be Vin.

That isn't to say I don't understand the criticism. But I think part of it is almost a The Birthmark thing. I think Denny is so close to a perfect play by play guy this tiny blemish becomes only thing you can notice. I mean, I love how calm he is. His voice is soothing. But it isn't like Buck where he sounds disinterested. He's like a wise old narrator, and it's great.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Matheny is starting Girchuk again against a rhp, reminds me of his allen craig fetish.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I don't want more graphics taking up space from the actual game

The MLB Game of the Week on Headline News

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The MLBN broadcasts had a graphic showing the position of the fielders which I thought was neat.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zakharov posted:

The MLBN broadcasts had a graphic showing the position of the fielders which I thought was neat.

Yeah, I like to that a lot better than the other channels occasionally putting position labels over the players.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Once again Fox uses its NFL theme for baseball. It's infuriating and gives off the wrong mood.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

After the Royals beat Baltimore 6-4 to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven ALCS, Dyson was asked by Kansas City Star writer Andy McCullough if he expects the series to return to Camden Yards for a sixth game. "No sir, I don't," Dyson said, "and I don't think [the Orioles] think that either."

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Harlock posted:

After the Royals beat Baltimore 6-4 to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven ALCS, Dyson was asked by Kansas City Star writer Andy McCullough if he expects the series to return to Camden Yards for a sixth game. "No sir, I don't," Dyson said, "and I don't think [the Orioles] think that either."

God drat. Shots loving fired.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

Matheny is starting Girchuk again against a rhp, reminds me of his allen craig fetish.

Grichuk can play defense, and it's not like Peter Bourjos or Oscar Taveras were particularly lighting the world on fire.

(I would have preferred Taveras tonight, though.)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Peavey has no place in the postseason.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alpha_destroy posted:

God drat. Shots loving fired.

Dyson: "If we win Game 3, it?s going to be hard for them to look themselves in the mirror and say, ?We can win the next four.?"

Pretty big talk from a .651 OPS.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but how could anybody hate the royals :coffeepal:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Danny Glands posted:

Peavey has no place in the postseason.

That's Peavy :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asema posted:

Well?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Asema posted:

Seriously. The nerve of that guy to talk a little trash on his opponent. loving unheard of.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's funny how when someone on a team you are rooting for does that, it is hilarious, but when someone on a team you are rooting against does it, they are loving douchebags.

Meaning, that was loving hilarious, go Royals.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OctoberBlues posted:

It's funny how when someone on a team you are rooting for does that, it is hilarious, but when someone on a team you are rooting against does it, they are loving douchebags.

Are we looking for douchebags?

Asema posted:

can't wait for the first royal to pull something celebrating a single

DON'T BE HAPPY YOU GOT ON BASE. God can't wait for those guys to get injured.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Please make this the next thread title

quote:

Baseball's Best Fans retweeted
Ryan H @Lizardkang · 6m 6 minutes ago

@TrevRosenthal I still respect you as a #Christian

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

That's by far @bestfansstlouis's best RT. Oh my God.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I do sort of wish the Royals wouldn't let their mouths write checks they may not be able to cash, but if they do want to brag a little, there's probably not a team in the postseason more entitled to do it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Please make this the next thread title

Holy poo poo that is fantastic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So what the gently caress happens when one brand of Missouri Devil Magic collides with the other?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
People who own:
Kolten Wong
Jhonny Peralta

gently caress the following people:
Mike Matheny
Trevor Rosenthal

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

VJeff posted:

So what the gently caress happens when one brand of Missouri Devil Magic collides with the other?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iL_W9MucEk

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Carlton Banks posted:

Kolten Wong
Jhonny Peralta

People who own:
Mike Matheny
Trevor Rosenthal

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tony Cruz will never play again

Yay Cards

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

Carlton Banks posted:

People who own:
Kolten Wong
Jhonny Peralta
Matt Adams

Mike Matheny
Trevor Rosenthal
Tony Cruz

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yeah this WS is gonna be hype as poo poo.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Well BearDrivingTruck, looks like you get your wish.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zakharov posted:

Tony Cruz will never play again

Yay Cards

Would AJP leading the cards to the WS at age 38 be the most obnoxious thing he's done?

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
http://m.mlb.com/video/v20254775/alcs-gm2-aj-reaches-first-on-dropped-third-strike

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Would AJP leading the cards to the WS at age 38 be the most obnoxious thing he's done?

... I don't know, but you have to admit, it's be a good story for him.

One day, he's kicked off the Red Sox. "You're a lovely teammate, everyone hates you, so your career ends with you being fired." Later, Yadi goes down, and the Cards need a catcher who's better than Cruz. And AJ is available.

If the Cardinals win the World Series, he'll have the most improbably cool story to tell about how his major league career ended.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Oscar is the best add him to the owns list

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

tarlibone posted:

If the Cardinals win the World Series, he'll have the most improbably cool story to tell about how his major league career ended.

Yeah but he'll be telling it to the 19 year-old at the bar he's trying to daterape.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Here's Grant Brisbee's take on the Cardinals mashing the "curtain call" button:

quote:

The gauntlet's been thrown. Cardinals fans demand a curtain call after third-inning home runs. The arms race is on. Giants fans, get together and work your magic. Demand two curtain calls.

You read me right. Two curtain calls. When a Giants player hits a ... whatever the park-adjusted equivalent of a home run is ... cheer until that player steps out of the dugout and doffs his cap. Then keep it up. Hitters, you have to be on board with this and ask for time. Fans, keep cheering until there's another curtain call. As. Long. As. It. Takes.

We're sitting here like a bunch of mooks, hand in our underwear, prepared to give just one curtain call? The hell is wrong with you?

Possible scenarios in which the double curtain call is appropriate:

• Home run
  • Successful sacrifice
  • When player returns to dugout after being lifted for a pinch-runner
  • Notable hustle on a dropped third-strike
  • Any 10-pitch at-bat that ends in an out

I know what you're thinking. If the series gets back to St. Louis, they'll be ready for three curtain calls. Except the way to defend against that is to never stop the last curtain call. We'll work in shifts. Stanley, you have Friday. Megan, you're on for Saturday. Just keep clapping, hoping that the Giants player who did the thing comes out of the dugout. It's like the Great Pumpkin, but for baseball. Just keep doing it, be earnest about it, and maybe he'll appear.

I'll start.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP ATTA BOY SERGIO, GET 'EM NEXT TIME CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP C'MON OUT AND SHOW US THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Goodness, my fandom is just ... I mean it's absolutely engorged. Clapping for welcome-not-unusual feats of strength is just so enriching. Try it. Seriously, try it.

Double curtain calls. Don't fail me on this.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

:suicide:

goddamnit, at least we got a new Walking Dead tonight

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

ReverendDre posted:

Well the Giants died because Sandoval couldn't go walking.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

ReverendDre posted:

Poor taste to make fun of Yadier Molina that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Danny Glands posted:

Once again Fox uses its NFL theme for baseball. It's infuriating and gives off the wrong mood.

That's just the Fox Sports theme. They use it for the UFC too.

• Locked thread