Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PantsBandit posted:

It was a joke but good effort anyways.

Oh, and the platforming isn't bad because it's hard. It's bad because the controls and physics aren't tight and predictable, which is kind of really important in a platformer.

edit: in fact the platforming tends to actually be really easy in terms of what they ask you to do specifically because the controls are bad.

I think you and I are approaching the LBP games from completely different angles. If I want to play a difficult 2d platformer with tight controls, I have Spelunky, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, or the old Mega Man games on my PS3. I play LBP for the goofy outfits and to see the creative poo poo people came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Hekk posted:

I think you and I are approaching the LBP games from completely different angles. If I want to play a difficult 2d platformer with tight controls, I have Spelunky, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, or the old Mega Man games on my PS3. I play LBP for the goofy outfits and to see the creative poo poo people came up with.

That reminds me of finding PEN15 Land on PS3 one night, only to never find it again when we got 4 drunks together trying to play the wonderful land of raining cockn'balls.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hekk posted:

Oh I understand and don't fault you for that. That's the reason I wish the mechanics were tighter, the customization stuff really is cool but the mechanics are a dealbreaker for me. I was just giving you poo poo about letting your son play a game that isn't goon approved :)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I bought the original LittleBigPlanet and wasn't all that impressed with it at first. Then one night a friend of mine was over and it was late and we had been drinking and we just started playing all these elaborately dumb levels and it was just really loving fun.

The second game had a significantly better campaign and a clearly superior level editor. People did a lot of really neat stuff with it but on some level the magic of the first game came from people getting creative with a more restricted toolkit.

I probably would have been way more into the game if it had come out back when I was in high school and spent all my time loving around with the Warcraft 3 map editor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think LBP is pretty good but at the same time I don't really give a poo poo about it. I bought the first game on release day and liked it well enough and only bothered to play 2 for about an hour when it was a free PS+ game. I don't really have anything to criticize about it but at the same time I don't really have any interest in it at this point.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
After close to 6 hours with Evil Within, here are some quick scrappy impressions that should cover most of what people will want to know, spoiled in case people want to go in completely blind:

• This is a Resident Evil game in all but name. The threat is supernatural rather than biological but the game 'feels' like a Resident Evil game feels.
  • The stealth focus of the first three chapters is a complete red herring.
  • For all the pre-release talk of a big return to survival horror, there are a lot of sections of this game that remind me of parts of RE6 (which for the record I thought was a bloated mess of a game that probably had the makings of a really good game buried in there somewhere).
  • It's much more atmospheric and tense than any recent Resident Evil.
  • The checkpointing can be very annoying, but that's mainly because...
  • There's a lot of frustrating deaths.
  • The combat is great. You have loads of options but you very quickly find yourself getting overwhelmed as those options run out. Nearly every major encounter you will come out of feeling like you barely scraped by. It feels a lot like The Last Of Us in this sense.
  • In combat you have your usual assortment of guns, you can also pick up one-use melee weapons that are usually one hit kills. You can trigger traps in the environment using switches, or you can burn oil with matches, shoot exploding barrels etc...
  • There's a big Silent Hill influence running through the game. You're never sure if you are in the real world or not. You are frequently wake up in strange locations, and the geometry doesn't always make sense (and it often fucks with your head by changing it around you).
  • There's an upgrade system. You upgrade each weapon individually (damage, aim, reload time, clip size, crit. chance, ammo carry capacity) and you can also upgrade other things like health, the number of each item you can carry, sprint time etc...
  • There's little in the way of inventory management. You have limits on the number of each item you can carry, and these capacities can be upgraded individually (rather than increase your total carry capacity you can, for instance, increase the number of matches you can hold).
  • The inventory works similar to RE5. You can assign 4 items to the D-Pad directions and going into your inventory doesn't pause the game, but it slows it down to around maybe 30% of the normal speed. It seems you can carry as many weapons as you find.

I really like it. As with RE4 and RE5, I can't wait to blast through it NG+ and beyond with fully upgraded weapons.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Game is honestly sounding perfect, thanks for the non spoilery writeup. Can't wait to get my preorder in later and play it at midnight. Hopefully the $7 off sticks around until it's out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Leyburn posted:

• There's a big Silent Hill influence running through the game. You're never sure if you are in the real world or not. You are frequently wake up in strange locations, and the geometry doesn't always make sense (and it often fucks with your head by changing it around you).

I picked this up from trailers but I didn't dare to hope so gently caress yeeeaaaaaaaa

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
I'm looking to get a better (cheap) headset specifically for chatting than the one that came with the PS4. Does anyone have any experience with this one? It looks suspiciously much like the headset from Rocketfish Gaming.

Or this one, which is the Turtle Beach - Ear Force P4C?

I've seen comments about low audio, but it seems like more of a general PS4 thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been seeing a lot of news about DriveClubs server issues. You can't even buy the full game on PSN right now. Did the game just sell incredibly well or is this another case of Sony is really bad at online services?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Bartie posted:

I'm looking to get a better (cheap) headset specifically for chatting than the one that came with the PS4. Does anyone have any experience with this one? It looks suspiciously much like the headset from Rocketfish Gaming.

I've seen comments about low audio, but it seems like more of a general PS4 thing.

I have the first one, if you post your psn I can try sending you a voice message.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I have the first one, if you post your psn I can try sending you a voice message.

Sure, thanks! It's Bartieofdoom. Is the headphone decent?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I said come in! posted:

I've been seeing a lot of news about DriveClubs server issues. You can't even buy the full game on PSN right now. Did the game just sell incredibly well or is this another case of Sony is really bad at online services?

My guess is neither, but the developers Evolution didn't know what the gently caress they were doing. I don't think Sony is to blame here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-13-driveclub-dev-defends-game-launch-had-confidence-servers-would-work

Destiny averages 3.2m players a day and copes just fine, I doubt Driveclub has sold anywhere near that much.

MZ fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 13, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leyburn posted:

After close to 6 hours with Evil Within, here are some quick scrappy impressions that should cover most of what people will want to know, spoiled in case people want to go in completely blind:

• This is a Resident Evil game in all but name. The threat is supernatural rather than biological but the game 'feels' like a Resident Evil game feels.
  • For all the pre-release talk of a big return to survival horror, there are a lot of sections of this game that remind me of parts of RE6 (which for the record I thought was a bloated mess of a game that probably had the makings of a really good game buried in there somewhere).
  • The combat is great. You have loads of options but you very quickly find yourself getting overwhelmed as those options run out. Nearly every major encounter you will come out of feeling like you barely scraped by. It feels a lot like The Last Of Us in this sense.
  • In combat you have your usual assortment of guns, you can also pick up one-use melee weapons that are usually one hit kills. You can trigger traps in the environment using switches, or you can burn oil with matches, shoot exploding barrels etc...
  • There's an upgrade system. You upgrade each weapon individually (damage, aim, reload time, clip size, crit. chance, ammo carry capacity) and you can also upgrade other things like health, the number of each item you can carry, sprint time etc...
  • There's little in the way of inventory management. You have limits on the number of each item you can carry, and these capacities can be upgraded individually (rather than increase your total carry capacity you can, for instance, increase the number of matches you can hold).
  • The inventory works similar to RE5. You can assign 4 items to the D-Pad directions and going into your inventory doesn't pause the game, but it slows it down to around maybe 30% of the normal speed. It seems you can carry as many weapons as you find.

I really like it. As with RE4 and RE5, I can't wait to blast through it NG+ and beyond with fully upgraded weapons.

Thanks for making me feel better about being so drat excited for this game and even preordering it through PSN since I got the 10% off.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bartie posted:

I have the second one. Works great for chat audio only. Plus it was wicked cheap.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So that Sleeping Dogs release is a bit disappointing:

eurogamer posted:

Unfortunately, performance is not high in the running order for Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Where there's any cluttering of vehicles around the city's downtown area, we see the performance ranging between 20-30fps on both platforms. From our frame-rate analysis, the game hits 22fps at its lowest point on Xbox One, while PS4 shows 25fps at its worst in comparable scenes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-face-off

I'm not a graphics fascist but if you can't even hit a locked 30fps on a two-year-old last-gen game that's a bit of a let down :(

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That is a seriously poor showing, if the framerate is stable on the last gen version it might actually be the console version of choice.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Only 25 funs per second at it's lowest? Skiiiiiiiip.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DriveClub dev: "We did run large scale synthetic load tests with tens of thousands of concurrent users and the tests were successful."
:doh:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Reading his twitter you almost feel sorry for the guy, he responds to a lot of people and there's also stuff like this:

heh

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Leyburn posted:

You're doing nothing to diminish my hype. Nice write up. Basically heard there is a review embargo until midnight which doesn't bode well. It's nice to know at least the first 6 hours are enjoyable.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah screen tearing laggy controls and stuttering don't interfere with the game experience in any way!

You really are the worst poster in this thread.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I thought the FPS/tearing in Sleeping Dogs was annoying enough on the 360 to not finish the game, kinda sad it's similar on the PS4 as well. Especially for $60.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Sorry, but a "Definitive Edition"'s purpose is to run better and be prettier, if the game costs as much as a brand new one at least that much should be expected, I hope. It's good that the flaws had been exposed and if you don't care about that, that's great, but buying a game after learning that would be doing yourself a disservice.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Sorry, but a "Definitive Edition"'s purpose is to run better and be prettier, if the game costs as much as a brand new one at least that much should be expected, I hope. It's good that the flaws had been exposed and if you don't care about that, that's great, but buying a game after learning that would be doing yourself a disservice.

Yeah, I'm just gonna wait and see if they patch it. I'm not gonna pay $60 for a frame dropping/screen tearing experience I can already have on PS3. I really hope that they are paying attention to this for the SR4 remaster. Frame dropping was awful at some points in that game.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
how's battlefield 4 on ps4?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I can really see why Driveclub got bad reviews, it doesn't offer a lot new and it's main selling point doesn't work adequately (at this point).

But I'm enjoying every minute of it, such a great sense of speed, each track is beautiful and interesting (love the changing verticality) and the handling is so satisfying. It's got that perfect one more go challenge to it as well

It is right to be criticised but anyone happy with a simple solid racing experience shouldn't be put off IMO.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I am more excited for my PlayStation TV to come tomorrow so I can play Persona and some other vita games on my TV in the bedroom, than I am for Evil Within considering it's 1) Embargoed. 2) From the streams so far, I am not impressed. 3) Hopefully I am wrong. But after getting burned by Destiny, I am done preordering games for a while. And what's funny is all the preorder bonuses come with the game if I go pick it up after it launches at Walmart/Target anyway.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

a real rear end nigga posted:

Amazing. Best FPS experience I've had on the console.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leyburn posted:

I'm really bummed about the inventory. The best inventory in the history of survival horror was the RE4's attache case. Playing inventory tetris was great. Aside from that, the game sounds pretty good. Could you elaborate on the frustrating deaths point? Also, how much ammo do you get? One of the cool things about RE4 was that you were pretty starved for ammo most of the time but when New Game+ came along you could start stockpiling due to the stronger weapons and you could experiment with all the different guns you may have neglected previously.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

any of you guys do cat-racing in LBP? That was the one thing in LBP that never got old for me, my buddies and I would do it every time we were hammered and near a PS3.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Haha holy poo poo how long are you going to keep harping on about this?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

he will do it as long as people call him out or otherwise engage him.

I bet we don't see ps+ driveclub this week :(.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

a real rear end nigga posted:

loving incredible when it works properly, which is pretty much all the time since a few months after release.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

averox posted:

Haha holy poo poo how long are you going to keep harping on about this?

Slow down on a remastered edition of a last gen game that ran at a consistent speed is unacceptable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's worth harping on in this case because it's kind of a dealbreaker. If it's not going to offer better quality and performance then just pick up the original used for $10.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

al-azad posted:

Slow down on a remastered edition of a last gen game that ran at a consistent speed is unacceptable.

He's asking the other guy how long he's gonna say framerate doesn't matter. The other guy was being sarcastic.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I'm looking to pick up a 2tb drive to drop into my PS4, but from what I'm reading, is the only way to transfer all my data to download it again from PSN? *looks at Sky "broadband" and weeps*

Also, after swapping out, would I be able to format the old drive and pop it into my PS3?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yes, it is. Sony blew it there. Fun fact: You couldn't actually do a backup larger than 640 GB from or to a PS3, meaning anything over 750 GB in the PS3 (due to its own partition madness) is kind of a waste.

Yes, you can put the newly liberated hard drive in a PS3, BUT if it's in your PS3 and you need service on your PS4 your options suddenly become [either] spend literally a week before factoring in stuff like work and sleep redownloading all your stuff on both consoles [or] risk losing your PS4's big drat drive to 'well that's not how we sold it to you'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Man isn't the whole point of getting a console instead of a computer that poo poo is supposed to Just Work and you don't have to worry about whether your hardware's up to the job of running a game smoothly.

e: regarding low framerate issues

Torka fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread