Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

StandardVC10 posted:

He did already get himself punched in Wisconsin but I understand if you feel that injury isn't serious enough.

Wasn't that so he could claim they were "union thugs" instead of people peacefully demonstrating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Also it wasnt that he said something. He pushed a guy after getting up in his face and the guy punched him. Of course Crowder had the first part edited out. Charges against the guy that punched him were dropped when it turned out Crowder had instigated the confrontation.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

He did already get himself punched in Wisconsin but I understand if you feel that injury isn't serious enough.

That was in Michigan :colbert:

It's the only thing in a long time I can feel good about the old home state :smithicide:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can't remember if I ever saw footage of exactly how the guy ended up on the ground, but yeah I remember Crowder definitely edited out the part showing the guy getting up from being on the ground.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I fully agree that media can effect people for the worst. Just today, my mother tried the old "There's two sides" truth is in the middle BS. Nevermind that one side lies on a consistent basis.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I hear often how "the government can't function because both sides won't listen to each other." Never mind how one side is basically loony far-right at this point and the other is still probably center right.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I hear often how "the government can't function because both sides won't listen to each other." Never mind how one side is basically loony far-right at this point and the other is still probably center right.

The right's definition of "listening to the right" is literally "do whatever the right says without question all the time no matter what, never argue, and never say anything the right disagrees with."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Where's that Limbaugh quote about how the Republican definition of compromise is Democrats doing what Republicans say.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This belief is usually driven by the idea that yeah, Republicans do obstruct (BUT based on principle, you see) but Democrats say mean things about Republicans and hurt their fees fees and that just spoils the whole system.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The right's definition of "listening to the right" is literally "do whatever the right says without question all the time no matter what, never argue, and never say anything the right disagrees with."

I'm trying to recall the ratio, but wasn't there a point where Boehner or Cantor were asked "Would you accept a compromise that's 80% cuts and 20% new revenue?" and of course the answer was no.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fulchrum posted:

Where's that Limbaugh quote about how the Republican definition of compromise is Democrats doing what Republicans say.

That also came from a member of Congress back in 2010, I believe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm trying to recall the ratio, but wasn't there a point where Boehner or Cantor were asked "Would you accept a compromise that's 80% cuts and 20% new revenue?" and of course the answer was no.

I like how the right showed their true colors during the government shut down. I know they're playing it up like it was something they did because they hold to their principles no matter what the cost but really, this is basically how the conversation went:

:bahgawd: : You will do everything we want or we'll shut down the government and destroy the whole world economy.
:v: : Uhhh...no. Can't you compromise?
:bahgawd: : You can compromise by doing everything we want.
:v: : No, you're insane and want to gently caress over anybody that doesn't vote Republican.
:bahgawd: : THE DEMS WON'T COMPROMISE! OBAMA IS DESTROYING AMERICA DELIBERATELY BY FORCING US TO SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like how the right showed their true colors during the government shut down. I know they're playing it up like it was something they did because they hold to their principles no matter what the cost but really, this is basically how the conversation went:

:bahgawd: : You will do everything we want or we'll shut down the government and destroy the whole world economy.
:v: : No, you're insane and want to gently caress over anybody that doesn't vote Republican.
:bahgawd: : THE DEMS WON'T COMPROMISE! OBAMA IS DESTROYING AMERICA DELIBERATELY BY FORCING US TO SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!
And yet there's a very real possibility that we're going to see the Republicans take the Senate.
:smithicide:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And yet there's a very real possibility that we're going to see the Republicans take the Senate.
:smithicide:

To be fair, I think the current Democratic party is about as uninspiring as it's been in modern times.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

beatlegs posted:

To be fair, I think the current Democratic party is about as uninspiring as it's been in modern times.

It was worse in 2003-2006, just IMO.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There is a virus going around called Enteriovirus d68 that has been killing children. Fox News posted an article about six things parents should know

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/03/6-things-all-parents-should-know-about-enterovirus-d68/

1.What makes the strain unique?
2. When will it end?
3. What are neurological symptoms
4. Why is strain so widespread

Question #5

quote:

5. Is there any relationship between this outbreak and the massive numbers of illegal immigrants crossing the borders?
We don’t know. A 2013 National Institutes of Health (NIH) study published in Virology Journal determined that a high percentage of patients in Latin America with influenza-like illness actually suffered from an enterovirus infection. A CDC official told me that they “didn’t know” whether this outbreak of enterovirus D68 was traceable to the border camps for illegal immigrants.

Marc Siegel MD is a professor of medicine and medical director of Doctor Radio at NYU Langone Medical Center. He is a member of the Fox News Medical A Team.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2014

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

To say nothing of the primary debate from the last cycle in which candidates were asked if there was any ratio they'd accept that wasn't 100% cuts. Couldn't even get a single member of the clown car (Huntsman!) to raise their hands for 10:1.

The most illuminating quote I've heard on compromise was "When a gunman takes a convent hostage and wants to kill all of the nuns... you don't want any of the nuns killed. Is it really compromise to say that they'll only kill half?"

Contextually, of course, this puts "killing nuns" on the same level as "raising taxes"... which I'm pretty sure any good rightie would tell you understates the moral and economic damage of increased taxes.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not quite what happened. You missed the part how after the shutdown the Republicans went into overdrive to deny that they were responsible for causing the shut down.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's obviously the fault of the filthy immigrants. Can't possibly be a result of living in a globalized world where people and the illnesses they might be carrying are capable of traveling thousands of miles in days.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Buried alive posted:

That's not quite what happened. You missed the part how after the shutdown the Republicans went into overdrive to deny that they were responsible for causing the shut down.

Republicans went into overdrive trespassing on Federal parks that were closed down because they didn't have money to stay open saying "who did this?"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Obama prevents school children from taking tours of national monuments!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

To say nothing of the primary debate from the last cycle in which candidates were asked if there was any ratio they'd accept that wasn't 100% cuts. Couldn't even get a single member of the clown car (Huntsman!) to raise their hands for 10:1.

The most illuminating quote I've heard on compromise was "When a gunman takes a convent hostage and wants to kill all of the nuns... you don't want any of the nuns killed. Is it really compromise to say that they'll only kill half?"

Contextually, of course, this puts "killing nuns" on the same level as "raising taxes"... which I'm pretty sure any good rightie would tell you understates the moral and economic damage of increased taxes.

Wait, did they seriously use killing nuns as the example? Because :irony:.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Phone posted:

Republicans went into overdrive trespassing on Federal parks that were closed down because they didn't have money to stay open saying "who did this?"

The "veteran visits closed war memorial" stories got way more traction than deserved. I had to remind coworkers that for all the solemn elderly patriots going to DC for the first time, conveniently choosing the worst possible time in more than five years, there's going to be a few guys taking a leak or littering or dropping cigarettes. Maybe even graffiti. Not to mention basic public safety - was DC metro supposed to assign police officers to patrol every monument? Who's liable when somebody gets robbed or stabbed or raped at an unguarded memorial Republicans chose to close?

And right after that, contrast news coverage of "shutdown cost" with "Obamacare website cost" - we all know the shutdown cost an order of magnitude more, but of course the centrist insurance website catches more flack than the blatantly partisan shutdown.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

sweart gliwere posted:

The "veteran visits closed war memorial" stories got way more traction than deserved. I had to remind coworkers that for all the solemn elderly patriots going to DC for the first time, conveniently choosing the worst possible time in more than five years, there's going to be a few guys taking a leak or littering or dropping cigarettes. Maybe even graffiti. Not to mention basic public safety - was DC metro supposed to assign police officers to patrol every monument? Who's liable when somebody gets robbed or stabbed or raped at an unguarded memorial Republicans chose to close?

And right after that, contrast news coverage of "shutdown cost" with "Obamacare website cost" - we all know the shutdown cost an order of magnitude more, but of course the centrist insurance website catches more flack than the blatantly partisan shutdown.

The best part was the GOP accusing the Democrats of deliberately only shutting down the most well-liked parts of the government to trick people into thinking the government does things that people like.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Geoff Peterson posted:

Uhh... yes? That is exactly what a compromise is?

It's not a good compromise given that one side in that example is insane and should ideally be taken out with an application of overwhelming force, but failing that, half is surely better than all.

This makes me wonder if the bullshit "we don't negotiate with terrorists" type of rhetoric plays some part in this 'don't compromise ever' mentality. If someone takes over a convent and you don't have a law-enforcement or military solution available then you better drat well start to negotiate and compromise or poo poo is going to go bad. I mean gently caress, even sending in a SWAT team or whatever knowing they expect like 10% of the hostages will be killed in the process is a loving compromise from your desire of none killed.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I saw a clip on Fox News from Huckabee's show. It was Huckabee complaining about how the Judicial Branch is trampling the Constitution. Apparently, whenever any branch of the government actually does their job (and that job is not what conservatives want), it is them merely trampling the Constitution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Uhh... yes? That is exactly what a compromise is?

It's not a good compromise given that one side in that example is insane and should ideally be taken out with an application of overwhelming force, but failing that, half is surely better than all.

:ninja: We want a million dollars and an Apache helicopter or else we'll kill all the nuns. And no pursuit: we've wired the convent to blow at our signal
:cop: How about five hundred bucks, an Escalade, and a 10-minute head start, plus you get to kill five nuns.
:ninja: Seven nuns. And we get to rape them before.
:cop: After
:ninja: Fine

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

Another metaphor I've heard for this is one person wanting spaghetti for dinner, the other wanting rat poison instead with the proposed compromise being spaghetti with rat poison sauce.

Of course, I've heard a libertarian use this exact metaphor to refer to taxes so whatever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Republican talking points make sense once you look at them from the point of view of people that are commited to being the cheapest mother fuckers in history.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 13, 2014

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
In fundie land the idea of compromise has become synonymous with treason. The republicans in the House aren't quite so extreme however. they have met the fundies halfway and decided their idea of compromise is that the other side gets to continue to exist as long as it is in a diminished capacity. For example the Govt's shutdown. the compromise was that the government got to continue to exist.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Geoff Peterson posted:

That is a phenomenally bad analogy for compromising, not only for its insane false equivocation and unintentional historical hilarity, but also from a rhetorical point of view. If the gunman has "taken a group hostage" because he wants to kill them, he is probably gonna kill them.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Radish posted:

Republican talking points make sense once you look at them from the point of view of people that are commited to being the cheapest mother fuckers in history.
It's fascinating how the right talks about lazy entitled liberal scum always wanting and taking things yet the majority of their platform is built on being as greedy and hoarding as possible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually referenced by a member of the House/Senate on the floor (don't remember which).

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
Kind of a random request, but can someone post that comic of Obama pulling all the levers that say something like "what people think the President does"?

I tried Google image searching for it, but am coming up blank.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dirk Funk posted:

Kind of a random request, but can someone post that comic of Obama pulling all the levers that say something like "what people think the President does"?

I tried Google image searching for it, but am coming up blank.

It's in the OP of the political cartoons thread.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Actually referenced by a member of the House/Senate on the floor (don't remember which).

This house is listed for $400,000 what's your offer.

I'll give you zero dollars for the house plus I want the HOA to stop maintaining the sidewalks and not charge me any fees but I do want it to cover any gambling debts I might incur. Also I want the blacks kicked out of the neighborhood.

No, get the gently caress out.

YOU'RE NOT COMPROMISING!!

haricots
Apr 12, 2014

Do conservatives believe that the entire judicial system is part of some liberal conspiracy just like they believe all scientists are part of a climate change conspiracy?

This is flat earth forums type logic, how do they not realize how batshit insane they sound?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Megaschmoo posted:

Do conservatives believe that the entire judicial system is part of some liberal conspiracy just like they believe all scientists are part of a climate change conspiracy?

This is flat earth forums type logic, how do they not realize how batshit insane they sound?

I've heard sound bytes of conservatives claiming that Ebola in the USA is some kind of political correctness conspiracy (I can't remember the exact wording, but political correctness was part of it). I still can't wrap my head around that one :psyduck:

At this point everything is some kind of evil liberal conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hazo posted:

It's fascinating how the right talks about lazy entitled liberal scum always wanting and taking things yet the majority of their platform is built on being as greedy and hoarding as possible.

It's the good old conservative strategy of attributing one's weaknesses to their opponents. Weaponized projection! The most destructive WMD!