Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Wow, cops remove barricades then say "We're done for the day" and then heck off. Then, within hours, mobs led by triads show up and start kicking things off. What a loving coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's loving bull poo poo. And the cops are constantly facing protesters instead of the anti guys breaking poo poo

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

augustus gluten posted:

Wow, cops remove barricades then say "We're done for the day" and then heck off. Then, within hours, mobs led by triads show up and start kicking things off. What a loving coincidence.

Have you tried paying the mobs more, or offering them something that the government can't provide them?

E:

Maybe ask them what they were paid to do, and come to an agreement where both sides meet the minimum regulatory requirements to please Beijing while the crowd continues doing their poo poo around the corner?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Even more important for people to stay overnight tomorrow I guess

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
So the police are tacitly working with organized crime to dismantle the protests? Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that be crossing a massive metaphorical line in Hong Kong?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TsarZiedonis posted:

So the police are tacitly working with organized crime to dismantle the protests? Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that be crossing a massive metaphorical line in Hong Kong?

No- it's been an established practice in past days of the protest, and it's not exactly news for people living there, by my understanding.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The corruption isn't the old days of packages of money arriving at the desk of the every police officer, but when you have the ICAC only directly accountable to the Chief Executive that Beijing nominated, who the gently caress knows what's going on anymore.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lady Galaga posted:

The corruption isn't the old days of packages of money arriving at the desk of the every police officer, but when you have the ICAC only directly accountable to the Chief Executive that Beijing nominated, who the gently caress knows what's going on anymore.

Again, have any protest organizers tried asking and coming to a deal so both sides only have to do a minimum effort of work to get paid/what they want?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
let me go face to face with a triad member and tell you the aftermath

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What time are you going down? I'll see if I can come.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I suggested to my art-loving mainland wife that we take the kids down to play in the open road at Admiralty and draw in chalk while we look at the art and she basically reacted like I had advocated a return to warlordism.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was just at a sit in. Police is telling us to go when people behind them are heckling at us and carrying cutters. loving bullshit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

caberham posted:

I was just at a sit in. Police is telling us to go when people behind them are heckling at us and carrying cutters. loving bullshit.

Umbrella pikes. Drill, drill, and drill some more, 'cause otherwise you gonna get cut.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

caberham posted:

So, is this going to be it moving forward? The HK police just looking the other way and letting the triads/anti-occupy mobs run rampant all over?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's loving mine craft right now everyone is digging in and building more barricades

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

12 October, 2014, A Hongkong protester grasps an umbrella while a Triad member and HK police officer threaten to fire. Behind, a mainlander sneaks up and threatens to poo poo everywhere with explosive shits.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Boy do I wish western countries would meddle in China's internal affairs and put an end to this crap.

Can you imagine if all the western countries were supporting the umbrella movement? Like we have agents from all the Five Eyes distributing maple syrup and whatever New Zealand could ever accomplish and then there's like Romanians building Romaniabarricades and what are some other western countries? I forget. Anyway the Hong Kong government would capitulate in like an afternoon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
All we could offer is some top lamb and kiwifruit, mate.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We'd support Hong Kong but the students would just get high. :geert:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

5000 years of kiwi fruit. :australia:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
We're sending our SAS to teach the protesters top glassing techniques, mate.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Boy do I wish western countries would meddle in China's internal affairs and put an end to this crap.

And risk hurting the feelings of the Chinese people? I don't know man...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fabulous Knight posted:

And risk hurting the feelings of the Chinese people? I don't know man...

Oh wait - is the missing piece of the puzzle that China is in fact Something Sensitive?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Good night tonight. The barricades won't last long to the dump trucks but it's a decent fortification to leave time for backup to arrive. In short, dota.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Nothing says "accountable, first world institutions" like police and organized crime working hand in hand in the street.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SedanChair posted:

Nothing says "accountable, first world institutions" like police and organized crime working hand in hand in the street.

I mean at least be subtle about it

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
The NY Times article on it is great; there's an older woman complaining that she had to take the train instead of driving her Mercedes, then she calls the protesters spoiled. You can't make this stuff up.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

pentyne posted:

So, is this going to be it moving forward? The HK police just looking the other way and letting the triads/anti-occupy mobs run rampant all over?

How do we know that the anti-occupy people are triad backed? Is it just rumor or is there evidence to back it?

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

GlassEye-Boy posted:

How do we know that the anti-occupy people are triad backed? Is it just rumor or is there evidence to back it?

Most of it is circumstantial, some of the token arrests made by cops are affiliated with triads.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I think he's saying that there have been attacks both from triads and from anti-occupy people.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

point of return posted:

I think he's saying that there have been attacks both from triads and from anti-occupy people.

Oh I see. Have there been cases in other protests where organized crime got involved? Seems like a lot of conflicting interests and goals making a chaotic situation even worse.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Causeway Bay is being dismantled?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Ugh, now the police are in Admiralty destroying the barricades we made last night. The barricades we made to protect the students.

I'm not going to go down again tonight but I wonder if we'll see the same effort as we did last night. If there ends up being trouble as the blue ribbons promised, any injuries sustained is all on the cops destroying the defences.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lady Galaga posted:

Ugh, now the police are in Admiralty destroying the barricades we made last night. The barricades we made to protect the students.

I'm not going to go down again tonight but I wonder if we'll see the same effort as we did last night. If there ends up being trouble as the blue ribbons promised, any injuries sustained is all on the cops destroying the defences.

Flog that point like crazy if poo poo goes down. Take it further. "The cops wanted children to get hurt. It was the government's intention to hurt children."

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's HK Sun Daily's political affiliation? Is it owned by Rupert Murdoch too?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Unfortunately until people get physically hurt there's really nothing we can do, protests and rallies continue to be ignored. It's pretty loving depressing and petty, the distance the government will go to avoid discussion on any issues.

Of course, the point that the barricades were dangerous was absolute bullshit. Apparently bamboo is a danger to citizens, let's just go loving remove every scaffolding around Hong Kong.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Galaga posted:

let's just go loving remove every scaffolding around Hong Kong.

OK.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Lady Galaga posted:

It's pretty loving depressing and petty, the distance the government will go to avoid discussion on any issues.

Cheer up chum. At least there's a criminal investigation being done on CY Leung by both the ICAC and the Australian police regarding CY's secret little deal with UGL while CY was the Director of DTZ. That deal that CY made with UGL in order to sell off DTZ to them really stinks.

For starters UGL was outbid by a mainland firm called Tianjin Innovation Financial Investment Company by £90 million. Under normal circumstances UGL would have lost the bid. However thanks to UGL paying CY a £4 million pound bribe, UGL was still able to win anyway. Taking a undeclared personal advantage at the expense of your own corporation that you're supposed to serve as Director of is a criminal and corrupt act. There is an established precedence for that and I'm failing to see any way for CY to wiggle out of this.

Thanks to CY's back room deal the corporation's other Directors, shareholders and creditors were left with nothing while CY received a golden handshake.

Also CY didn't pay tax on that £4 million pound pay off, and it looks like taxable income to me. Just because the payment came from Australia, doesn't mean CY doesn't need to pay tax on it in Hong Kong if the money was transferred to him personally. It's not tax exempt income like dividend income or capital gains is.

There's too much stuff out in the public for CY to be able to put a lid on this.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
poo poo is going down right now on Lung Wo street:

http://sonoapp.net/stream/u/MeeJTV

The police look like they're about to clash with protesters at the barricades.

Another stream, seems smoother:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wahaha2036

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Protest looks like its been cleared out, or is that them in the very far corner of one of the camera views in the first stream?