Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was playing my S79 for the past hour, just trying to finish off the last couple modules I had yet to get... And I noticed something. My experience wasn't going up. Puzzled, I played another game. Blew some poo poo up. Looked at the screen to make SURE the battle was done. It said I gained experience, but there was nothing on the research screen. So I relogged.

You stupid piece of poo poo. I was earning experience without getting credited for it? How? Why? 2,000 points of loving RP left to spend on a plane with no loving modules left to research loving :kheldragar:

I found the exact same thing happening on my MK14e Spit. I ended up swapping what mods it researched to reset it. No idea what caused it, but I think it has to do with playing multiple games in a row in which a module finished researching while you are in a game, or finishing a module research in a game that started and ended before your previous game finished that would have completed the module.

Plane X - Needs 500 xp to finish Mod Y
1. Game 1 - Start, Kill a dude, die quit.
2. Game 2 - Start Kill a few dudes, game ends, you get 1000 XP and finish research on Mod Y, select Mod Z
3. Game 1 Ends, you get 600 XP, which would have finished Mod Y, but it is already completed so it doesn't go into Mod Z - game enters hook and xp no longer goes to mods. I had it happen 3 games straight(I was drunk and didn't notice at first until 3 games passed and I still had 0xp on my radiator.)

This might not be exact, but it seems like multiple games with mods completing is hosed from the new research screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The Orange Mage posted:

After bashing my head into the wall that is upper tier III/tier IV, I decided to go back and unlock skins and spade planes and it's so fukken chill. :cool: Much better than getting bounced by Germans and Russian P-63s all day.

the game does get unfun around then.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Orange Mage posted:

After bashing my head into the wall that is upper tier III/tier IV, I decided to go back and unlock skins and spade planes and it's so fukken chill. :cool: Much better than getting bounced by Germans and Russian P-63s all day.

I decided to work on the new low-tier Japanese planes (where I learned that there are a lot more low-tier only maps than I thought) and the game turned into a giant arcade-style furball where nobody had the firepower to actually kill anyone else. It was awesome.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 13, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

wargames posted:

the game does get unfun around then.

Rank 2-3 is the sweet spot for fun in the game. Although right now I'm just hopping into my 1.3-1.0 German planes and wreaking poo poo in beginner games.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I just noticed something. I shot up an IL-2, but didn't get any crits. He shot me up, didn't get any crits. We rammed each other in a head on, and took each other's wings off. We both got kill credits when we hit the ground.

Maybe now you actually get kills when you head on like a retard and crash? :ohdear:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What does 'spading' mean?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It is unlocking and buying all the upgrades for a plane. When you do it is marked with a :s:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wooper posted:

It is unlocking and buying all the upgrades for a plane. When you do it is marked with a :s:

oh I think I've been doing that along the way anyways, cool

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It is a nice way of quantifying how large your e-peen is.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Is there a way to reset your account? I think I done goofed by starting off as the US and spending the free currency (not the golden eagles) on stuff by accident because the UI is a nightmare on PS4 so I'd rather start afresh if possible.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zip! posted:

Is there a way to reset your account? I think I done goofed by starting off as the US and spending the free currency (not the golden eagles) on stuff by accident because the UI is a nightmare on PS4 so I'd rather start afresh if possible.

Not on the PS4 without creating another PSN account to play from, but you'll get a bunch of Silver Lions soon enough. If you haven't already, do the tank tutorial for another free 100 GE, and within a few more rounds you should have access to all countries.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

It is a nice way of quantifying how large your e-peen is.

It's also a visible flag for when you can stop blaming your losses in a plane on the upgrades, and begin blaming red team bias and sparks.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
A nice article on the Po-2: http://warthunder.com/en/news/888-Ugly-Ducklings-Polikarpov-U-2Po-2-en

Ugly Ducklings posted:

Even a cursory search through the War Thunder forums and status updates will identify a small number of aircraft which are highlighted for being amongst the most ineffectual in the game. One of the most commonly mentioned is the Polikarpov Po-2, a low Battle Rating Soviet biplane with a very limited bomb load. Whilst a comparison can be drawn with the Kingfisher of this series’ previous article in terms of overt ineffectiveness in the air-to-air or ground attack role, the same qualities of this little biplane are also true: there are some aspects of real life combat which cannot be modeled in a computer game, and the Red Army Air Force was able to exploit some of these with the Po-2 during the Great Patriotic War.

:words:

previous article: http://warthunder.com/en/news/803-Ugly-Ducklings--The-Vought-OS2U-Kingfisher-en

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

MrLonghair posted:

Not on the PS4 without creating another PSN account to play from, but you'll get a bunch of Silver Lions soon enough. If you haven't already, do the tank tutorial for another free 100 GE, and within a few more rounds you should have access to all countries.

Yeah I thought as much. I've done all the tutorials now and flying around AB's in my tier I planes has been pretty fun. I still haven't worked out how to get into games with goons so far and the upgrade tree is a mystery to me - what effect does buying a talisman have for example. Do I have to worry about repairs and stuff for ABs or is that RB/SBs only?

Also I'm quickly realizing that with the control scheme (and the UI) that I'm probably better off playing this on my laptop than on my console - do accounts cross over?

Zip! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 13, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zip! posted:

what effect does buying a talisman have

Makes a normal plane give premium rewards. Stops being worth it after tier 2, just because they cost so much. Your hard won/bought hitlerbucks are better spent on premium time or any of the undertiered gold planes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Makes a normal plane give premium rewards. Stops being worth it after tier 2, just because they cost so much. Your hard won/bought hitlerbucks are better spent on premium time or any of the undertiered gold planes.

The only cases I've found talismans worthwhile are on the heaviest of bombers. A talisman on an H6K4 is a license to print lions, and a cheap one to boot. Sticking one on a yer2 is pricier but will similarly just poo poo out lions whenever you feel like mashing spacebar.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Really? Didn't the Talisman only boost the XP income to premium-plane/tank levels and leaves the lion income at the default value? I still got one for my PzKpfw IV Ausf.F2 cause it was cheap, made mor XP than my super-mega-preorder M4 and even with the default income it still makes more money because :gaijin:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Feindfeuer posted:

Really? Didn't the Talisman only boost the XP income to premium-plane/tank levels and leaves the lion income at the default value? I still got one for my PzKpfw IV Ausf.F2 cause it was cheap, made mor XP than my super-mega-preorder M4 and even with the default income it still makes more money because :gaijin:

Yeah just checked and it is only RP. Ok talismans are stupid and never get them.

EDIT: Did they EVER give bonus lions cuz that H6K4 is still my top moneymaker? Or is Mavis Shenanigans just that ridiculously good for grinding lions?

chairface fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 13, 2014

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you want to grind for jets, Talismans are probably better value for money than buying the Tier IV premiums.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

A nice article on the Po-2:

I feel bad because I know that eventually, they're going to have another Po-2 event, and I will jump through all manner of stupid hoops for that plane.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are CARB rewards borked or something, cause uh:

7 of those were player kills. The same performance at the same tier in AB air battles would have gotten me significantly more RP/lions, what gives?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
You were using era 1 to research era 3?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

CARB battles have a very low payout, don't play them for lions ever. You can get more lioans with any quick mid-tier arcade air battle, no matter how average you perform, than with even a perfectly executed CARB round that you carry alone.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

Normally a 2 Era gap is only a 10% penalty, but Era I is an exception isn't it?

Also tanks in general just have poo poo payouts, presumably to artificially retard people's progress while there's only two nations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Heliosicle posted:

No, a tier 3 tank was the selected research at the same time as I was playing tier 1 (because I don't really care about tanks, just surprised that payout is still as low as beta)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zip! posted:

Also I'm quickly realizing that with the control scheme (and the UI) that I'm probably better off playing this on my laptop than on my console - do accounts cross over?

Yes! I tried a few days ago to do the PS4 version with joypad and mouse (the way I did it for months) and it was just too choppy. I need framerates for this.

Not to mention the UI being a nightmare and their mouse-input being 100% broken compared to all the other PS4 games that support mouse (and keyboard).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, a tier 3 tank was the selected research at the same time as I was playing tier 1 (because I don't really care about tanks, just surprised that payout is still as low as beta)

Then you're being hit by 3 things: Tier 1 vehicles have poo poo RP bonuses, you're being penalized for researching a vehicle 2 tiers above the one you're playing, and tanks in general has low RP rewards compared to planes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I still can't believe you have to pay for repairs/ammo/ordnance. What's the loving point of penalizing terrible players.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Azran posted:

I still can't believe you have to pay for repairs/ammo/ordnance. What's the loving point of penalizing terrible players.

Legacy game design is one of the strongest things in games as a whole - it's been done this way before so it's obviously the way it should always be done.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

It's not really an issue when you start out, but I think that those inflated repair bills for top planes/tanks are one of the reasons why high-tier games are so rare, especially in the more 'expensive' game modes like RB/SB. It kind of made sense before they had an actual machemaker and those jets and rocket planes were shooting down Falcos and Hayabusas all day, but that was a long time ago and there is no real reason to keep high-end play that expensive as there is no gain for the people playing those games.

I guess because all other military shooter f2p mmos punish people on higher tiers with increase upkeep WT has to do it too. :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

It's not really an issue when you start out, but I think that those inflated repair bills for top planes/tanks are one of the reasons why high-tier games are so rare, especially in the more 'expensive' game modes like RB/SB. It kind of made sense before they had an actual machemaker and those jets and rocket planes were shooting down Falcos and Hayabusas all day, but that was a long time ago and there is no real reason to keep high-end play that expensive as there is no gain for the people playing those games.

I guess because all other military shooter f2p mmos punish people on higher tiers with increase upkeep WT has to do it too. :shrug:

Low-tier, too, at least in WoT. You have to pay for ammo, and "credit-grinder" tanks can get you about 2.5 repair bills' worth at most.

War Thunder has been great to not really "get into." I win a majority of my matches in AB/RB, I fly planes/drive tanks that I actively enjoy, and pay as little attention to things like BR. I just enjoy that the game is just actively fun to play, and I'm not going to dive deep into every nook and cranny just to piss myself off.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Uyy61MCsI

Edit: Also, apparently, stats from racing mode go to main stats.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 13, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Should've been the tailspin theme à la Cooked Auto's HAWX LP

edit: of which apparently the videos are no longer on the internet :(

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 13, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The IL-28 is fun as hell. It's not some super OP troll-plane, unless you get dropped against unfortunate Germans, but even then I guess the most you could do is run away all match. Any attack you make on a prop plane is either one where you just aren't going to hit them, because they're far more maneuverable and you put yourself at risk to a snapshot unless you're hauling rear end or it's something like a headon or a low speed attack against a distracted target. Going slow in the IL-28 is dangerous at low altitude, because it builds speed fast in a shallow dive, but isn't so quick to accelerate on the deck.

The most common cause of death so far is when an F-80 or Meteor screams in behind me, usually getting torn up if not outright killed, but they set the IL-28 on fire, and it really likes to burn until the whole thing just falls apart.

Funniest kills so far are cutting off other planes so you can tailgun them to death. That rear turret is mean as gently caress. But I mostly like the IL-28 because it's fun to swtich-hit between dropping bombs on lines of tanks at 750 kph and trying to fight other planes.

Actually, the funniest kill was blowing up a B-57 with a bomb on the runway, realizing he repaired anyway, and making a gun run on him when he's in that perilous position of being BARELY off the runway and cutting his wing off. Two kills one Canberra.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I can only suggest to fly the 109 G2 (it faces F7Fs and does funny things to them). And naturally the 190 A4 until it gets a BR of 4.7 or something. It's hilarious what a 190 can do with "proper" enemies like P-63s, Spit IXs etc.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Secret 1.43 change: B7A2 can now use smoke (!)

Weird-rear end Norway quirk for allies: Spam bombs on the concrete covered target zone for reward-combos

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So I'm guessing the only way to earn GE is to pony up real money right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zip! posted:

So I'm guessing the only way to earn GE is to pony up real money right?

They have events regularly that give out GE, but not a lot. I'd say maybe once per quarter, you can expect to snag 1-200 free GE, if you are lucky enough to be around to take part in the event, which typically runs a weekend. It varies.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I feel bad because I know that eventually, they're going to have another Po-2 event, and I will jump through all manner of stupid hoops for that plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvs9MifV3_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So did 1.43 add a "touch rudder control, spin uncontrollably to the deck instantly" change to sim mode? Cause I've now crashed in 4/5 sim games I've played since the patch from applying gentle rudder in a turn to correct for slip.

• Locked thread