Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Didn't those best two French armies include their entire armored reserve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

More or less, and they included some excellent Somua tanks. Had they bothered to actually use them, defeating the German thrust was a very real possibility.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

sullat posted:

Also, the treaty of Versailles of 1917 was far less harsh than the treaty of Versailles of 1871, so the notion that France somehow were deserving of the attack is a little strange.

Are you sure? Alsace-Lorraine, 5 billion francs and most-favored nation for Germany seems more lenient than Alsace-Lorraine, half of eastern Prussia to Poland, the loss of all overseas colonies, 132 billion marks, restrictions on the size of the army and navy... Is there something to the 1871 treaty that I'm not aware of?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Reading Beevor's Second World War he says the French collapse was also tied up with the French extreme right wing's communist paranoia. Their fear was a bitter fight for every inch resistance would benefit the communists and so were conspiring against each other to surrender sooner and gain the upper hand in the occupation government. I don't know how much of that was colored by Beevor's politics but his book in general paints a pretty terrible picture of the French political scene of the era.

I've heard plenty of people say the French lacked the will to fight after the horrendous losses of WW1, but after reading his book it seemed like the civilian leadership and soldiers were still in it. It was the top generals who after the early reversals were panicking, weeping, and trying to figure out the best way to surrender.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Re: WWII - remember that most of these people will remember, extremely viscerally, what it looked like when the Germans invaded, looked completely invincible and nearly won before the Marne saved France at the last moment, at a huge cost of life and resulting in the Great War. General Gamelin was a staff officer in 1914 who'd helped plan the Marne. Gaston Billotte was a brigade commander, Georges and Petain were battalion colonels, Paul Reynaud was there somewhere too. Now it seems like exactly the same thing's happening as last time, but it's all bigger and faster and they don't have the time to make any kind of plan, because as soon as they break for lunch they find out that the Panzers have found another petrol station and they're another 20 miles up the road.

100.273972602739726 Years Ago

Antwerp surrenders. Meanwhile, II Corps of the BEF is ferried forward by a fleet of requisitioned London buses, and takes its place in the line alongside the French 10th Army. Together, they begin to advance. For whatever reason, the Germans have been delayed just long enough at Antwerp that they will now definitely have to fight for the Channel ports. The Belgian army is advancing swiftly to the rear, to take up last-ditch positions on the River Yser, and 7th Division is covering them. This is also the day that the first Indian troops begin arriving in France. They are, ahem, slightly disorientated.

The Germans continue marching on Warsaw, vaguely wondering where all the Russians have gone.

100 Years Ago

II Corps and their new mates continue advancing towards the La Bassee Canal, and each side's cavalry patrols begin to run into each other. The last attempt at a flanking battle for some time is about to begin; there is still space to be exploited on the Western Front.

Meanwhile, the German march on Warsaw suddenly finds rather a lot of Russians to fight at the River Vistula. Both sides attempt to attack each other at once in different places, and a large amount of extremely confused fighting follows.

The crew of Emden says a reluctant goodbye to their Chagossian hosts, and departs with good feelings all round.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Trin Tragula posted:

The crew of Emden says a reluctant goodbye to their Chagossian hosts, and departs with good feelings all round.

Smile and wave boys. Smile and wave.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Please keep on posting that stuff Trin. Please don't stop.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PittTheElder posted:

More or less, and they included some excellent Somua tanks. Had they bothered to actually use them, defeating the German thrust was a very real possibility.

One of the French Armoured Divisions fought a very hard battle just north of the Ardennes. The lost I think 200 tanks(?). After using the Somua in World War 2 Online, it really is amazingly bad to have the Tank commander also be the main gunner and loader (and there's no top hatch either, you open up the entire back of the turret to get your head out).

That being said, the French could have stopped the Germans, but only if they had more ATG and quicker units at the breakthrough point. They did have multiple Divisions moving, but on a WW1 timetable, and their air doctrine and tank doctrine was all wrong too. Add in bad commanders, and that was it. If they had had a lot more good commanders, it would have been different, but when you have one of your armoured divisions going onto the defensive south of the breakthrough, there's very little you can do.

That being said, the Allied plan probably would have worked somewhat, if the Germans had gone with their original plan, but I think the BEF and French armies just weren't in a condition to be willing to attack into Germany, even if they had stopped the initial thrust.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BurningStone posted:

I've read that France's command and control operated at World War I speeds at the beginning of World War II. They just couldn't understand how the battlefield could change so quickly and were completely unprepared for it.

James Holland's The Battle of Britain says it took 48 hours for orders to get from General Gamelin's HQ to the front. He didn't have a radio at HQ because he believed they were too insecure and could be listened in on by the enemy. (True, but there were workarounds even at the time. *cough* cryptography *cough*)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JaucheCharly posted:

Murdering and raping their people?

I have no doubt that a significant portion of the French population believed the horror stories that came out of occupied France and Belgium during WWI, notwithstanding that some of them weren't just stories.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hunterhr posted:

Smile and wave boys. Smile and wave.

This reminds me of a quote from the Daily Chronicle regarding a later exploit of the Emden's: "Emden has had a momentous cruise. The ship's company have proved their gallantry. We admire the sportsmanship shown in their exploits as much as we heartily wish that the ship may soon be taken."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comstar posted:

One of the French Armoured Divisions fought a very hard battle just north of the Ardennes. The lost I think 200 tanks(?). After using the Somua in World War 2 Online, it really is amazingly bad to have the Tank commander also be the main gunner and loader (and there's no top hatch either, you open up the entire back of the turret to get your head out).

Back when I played World War 2 Online I once drove into battle in a SOUMA with the turret hatch wide open because I'd hit the open hatch key without noticing (there was no notification or anything and you couldn't see it from the commander's position unless you turned your head using other key commands). I think I got a couple kills before the inevitable happened.

The British A13 and the Vickers were way more fun.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Did that have any effect on fume concentrations inside the turret, or was that too complex for the game to model?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Interesting "What If" scenario

Put Joffre, Lanrezac and Galenani into command positions during the WW2 invasion of France. What happens? I think a VERY different outcome.

I do not think Joffre was an good commander. But the man was a rock when a rock was required.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MA-Horus posted:

Interesting "What If" scenario

Put Joffre, Lanrezac and Galenani into command positions during the WW2 invasion of France. What happens? I think a VERY different outcome.

I do not think Joffre was an good commander. But the man was a rock when a rock was required.

Oh please, he went and hid in the red keep while making a dwarf fight in his stead.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Frostwerks posted:

Oh please, he went and hid in the red keep while making a dwarf fight in his stead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Psshh if you believe one source. More accurate data puts him in command of three trebuchets dubbed 'the whores' :smug:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Some completely unbiased sources have him pissing into the wildfire to spice it up a little.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

Did that have any effect on fume concentrations inside the turret, or was that too complex for the game to model?

This was in 2002, so there was no way in hell anyone even thought about modelling fumes or smoke.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
WHAT ABOUT GAY BLACK TARGARYEN?

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

HEY GAL posted:

poo poo keeps stopping around November and starting up again around May, over and over every year, while there's no such thing as a decisive battle in a world without really well-developed supply lines and in which you can always hire more people from...somewhere. So wars keep going as long as someone is willing to pump money into them, meanwhile from the 18th or 19th century point of view they look super desultory.

Edit: The same process but without keeping your army on over the winter is why the 1500s is full of strings of short wars. Dismiss your mercenaries every winter (with some famous exceptions) and hire them up again in the spring, over and over until the heat death of the universe or until the Valois and the Hapsburgs stop hating each other, whichever comes first.

This is from a bit back, but I wanted to point out this hasn't stopped. Civil wars can easily reach two or three decades when you don't have one specific town or faction to destroy and you can recruit men and material from neighboring countries. War based roughly around Clausewitz's ideas should end pretty quickly when one of the highly centralized entities collapses. That's because they burn up resources really fast and there are coherent bodies deciding when the conflict ends. In a civil war, you can just keep popping up new factions to fill in the gaps left by the losers. A fully mobilized modern country will burn out its resources relatively quickly, especially when it is fighting itself, but civil wars can drop down to low, rumbling insurgencies to regain footing. And, which is much more dangerous, foreign powers can keep feeding money and guns into the conflict long after the nation itself would have run out.

There's an insurgency in Burma that's like 40 years old at this point. The ongoing Syria-Iraq civil war is doing it right now. The AQ linked insurgents fought for most of a decade in Iraq, lost ground to a different kind of militia, regained ground in Syria (along side a different coalition of rebel groups), returned to Iraq, and reignited the simmering conflict between other militia groups in that country. With support flowing in from the Gulf, the West, Iran, Iraq's central government, and private donors that war could keep burning for quite some time even if it doesn't manage to set off a broader proxy war. It is really hard to reach a decisive end when you don't have hegemonic actors, someone or group that can just say "Enough, the war's over, go home."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

BEF GHQ moves along with the chaps, relocating to St Omer. The cavalry, having covered an advance towards Lille, is now ordered to spread out north, reconnoitre, and generally make some use of itself. They do so, and by the end of the day there's something that could, in an emergency, be called a "line", although there's still a significant gap before the coast. The entirely misnamed Race to the Sea is almost complete.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Extra History have finished up their series on the outbreak of the First World War.

It's sad to think there were so many missed opportunities to stop the war. I can't wait to see what Extra History look at next.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Yvonmukluk posted:

Extra History have finished up their series on the outbreak of the First World War.

It's sad to think there were so many missed opportunities to stop the war. I can't wait to see what Extra History look at next.

The gently caress!? :psyduck:

There are so many factual errors in the series that it boggles my mind.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

my dad posted:

Are they factual errors in that they are simplifications or glossing over due to time constraints, but still try to get the meaning across or are specific acts or things mentioned are completely wrong?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

my dad posted:

Could you make a list of the most important ones, please?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Just from loving around on the July crisis wiki page it says that Austrian gunboats did shell Belgrade on the 28th when the video claims no shelling occurred.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I've run across this idea several times and since it's rather patently false, I was wondering where it originally came from:

"Any Iron Age culture knew that letting many women participate in combat was a recipe for disaster if your side experienced massive casualties, and thus men handled matters related to the battlefield."

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Some 19th century dude

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm saying Victorian arse too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gonna buck the trend and guess a 21st Century U.S. Congressman.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Communist Zombie posted:

Are they factual errors in that they are simplifications or glossing over due to time constraints, but still try to get the meaning across or are specific acts or things mentioned are completely wrong?

Extra History is interesting, but it's also the definition of Great Man History. And it also realllllly plays up the "Good men tried for peace! Stop the madness!" angle waaaay too much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Gonna buck the trend and guess a 21st Century U.S. Congressman.
I thought those were the guys who said we can't stand in water.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

I thought those were the guys who said we can't stand in water.

That's saltwater. (sharks)

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Women in combat also places you at a severe disadvantage when facing bear cavalry.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wasn't there some Roman writing on Gallic/Celtic/Germanic women in combat?
I am recalling stuff like the Cimbri being described as having women basically guarding the supply wagons and being the ones who go :commissar: (and then :suicide:) if the men start running away from the front.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
There is all those women who pretended to be men so they could fight, we know of a few from the 18th/19th/20th centuries but imagine how many there actually were throughout history.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

They also did the Punic Wars :)

I cried manly tears at that ending though. Babylon 5 really has nothing on actual history.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

There is all those women who pretended to be men so they could fight, we know of a few from the 18th/19th/20th centuries but imagine how many there actually were throughout history.
I know of at least one from the 17th--she was dinged for being a bounty jumper, and in the ensuing kerfuffle they found out she was a chick. (I think she was whatever the hell the French had instead of Gefreyters, but I don't have the book I found that in with me.) She was also married to another chick who had no idea her husband wasn't a man. Gonna assume it was real dark then.

And then there were the pair of 18th century French messmates that a colleague of mine told me about. In the 18th century French army, soldiers sleep two to a bed, and your bedmate is assigned to you at random. ("Billet" is French for "ticket," I think; the ticket that assigns you your quarters.) These two fell in love and decided to desert together...but I never knew if they had fallen in love before or after they figured out that one was a woman.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

HEY GAL posted:

I know of at least one from the 17th--she was dinged for being a bounty jumper, and in the ensuing kerfuffle they found out she was a chick. (I think she was whatever the hell the French had instead of Gefreyters, but I don't have the book I found that in with me.) She was also married to another chick who had no idea her husband wasn't a man. Gonna assume it was real dark then.

:stare: Wasn't consummation part of marriage back then and there? I know next to nothing about religion, so I may be grossly wrong, but still - one would think she'd notice there's something odd about the whole thing.

quote:

And then there were the pair of 18th century French messmates that a colleague of mine told me about. In the 18th century French army, soldiers sleep two to a bed, and your bedmate is assigned to you at random. ("Billet" is French for "ticket," I think; the ticket that assigns you your quarters.) These two fell in love and decided to desert together...but I never knew if they had fallen in love before or after they figured out that one was a woman.

I think you also mentioned some medieval cases sometime ago, where priests checking the bodies left in the aftermath of a battle discovered that some of the dead were in fact women.

• Locked thread