Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The walking dead is back tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

And it was loving awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's episode of Boardwalk Empire sure was a hell of an episode.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight's episode of Boardwalk Empire sure was a hell of an episode.

the show runners are really killing it and loving everyone cool this season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

In just two short years my friends have gone from posting about that show nonstop on facebook to, well, me not hearing about it even coming back tonight until I read your post.

Last season actually ended really strong though so I'm now kinda pumped to catch the rerun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What the gently caress, CSI does an ebola episode? I thought they shot the seasons way before air, the ebola being a big deal thing is 6-8 weeks old at max.

What did they know that we don't?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That the outbreak started ten months ago?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

the ebola being a big deal thing is 6-8 weeks old at most

Is this really something you believe?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

smg77 posted:

Is this really something you believe?

The "westerners getting infected" was August. It wasn't a American network news story at a comparable level before that. To be honest I don't think most CSI viewers probably wouldn't have known about it until August. It wasn't until the American victims were being flown back to the US to get treatment that the US news world exploded the story and the GOP took the chance to hammer Obama for letting them into the country and suddenly ebola was a popular news story.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I guess we can be happy that the writers of CSI look beyond network news and freerepublic.com to keep up on current events.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFIrmOAMqxg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That seems like it should be something they would play during the commercial break for the actual show.
How is that show still on? Why is that show still on?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

that is amazing. art even

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone on Mulaney is apparently incapable of acting without mugging for the camera or repeating their lines like a punchline of a joke, and only Martin Short pulls it off.

edit: Also it could not be ripping off Seinfeld harder unless it had a character that entered the apartment funnily.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not quite as good as Hawaii Five-O's Subway scene, but drat if it isn't close.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Everyone on Mulaney is apparently incapable of acting without mugging for the camera or repeating their lines like a punchline of a joke, and only Martin Short pulls it off.
What is that show? I've seen like two dozen commercials for it while watching football the past few weeks but they've seriously never shown an actual scene from it. It's just a bunch of constant cuts and edits that don't even include any dialogue. Not a super encouraging sign when the advertising for a comedy show doesn't want to actually show you what the characters and dialogue are like.

VDay fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 13, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I love how the commercials from the Truman Show are real now.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

VDay posted:

What is that show?

bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Better eye roller?

Alicia Florrick

or

Dana Scully

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'd kill for an X-Files eye-roll compilation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also apparently Gillian Anderson's new scifi book is not. very. good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not surprising. Any actor/actresses have written decent scifi books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Andrew Robinson.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Andrew Robinson.

Oh right, his DS9 book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never read it but I've heard good things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Unlike Shatners Tekwar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fox gave Gotham a full 22 order. Maybe they can figure out how to make a good show before the season is out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it still bad?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Is it still bad?

It's a bit less bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Is it still bad?

I quit after the second episode. The dialogue was just too terrible and the tone was completely inconsistent scene to scene. I heard the next episode had a guy killing people with balloons and knew I made the right call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't want any silly gimmicks in your superhero show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the normal people who don't post on this board saying about it. I was reading the comments on the Flash premier on toplessrobot and some dudes were like "gently caress the Flash, I'm not gonna waste my time on this garbage when I can be watching GOTHAM".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My 65 year old father enjoys it, but he thought Smallville was good and doesn't watch Arrow or Flash. NCIS is his favorite show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

You don't want any silly gimmicks in your superhero show.

Well part of the problem with the show is that it has ridiculously silly stuff one moment and then in the next scene it wants to have gritty crime drama stuff. If it wanted to be Batman '66 I'd be on board. That's the best live action superhero show ever made. I have no problem with camp at all. But bad camp one minute doesn't mix with gritty realism the next very well. And that's not even getting into the atrocious dialogue.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, the first episode of The Affair was pretty drat good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

I quit after the second episode. The dialogue was just too terrible and the tone was completely inconsistent scene to scene. I heard the next episode had a guy killing people with balloons and knew I made the right call.
The third episode was actually good, no schizophrenic pacing or anything. I kinda liked the balloon dude essentially jump-starting young Bruce Wayne's desire for vigilantism but at the end of the day I'm sure most people will just watch it and see "well goofy balloon murder, it played out like a cop procedural", which is not entirely false either, since I'm sure nearly everyone in here hates cop procedurals.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you can't get behind balloon murder, I don't know what to tell you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Is it still bad?

It's basically just like the pilot, if you saw that. Still has pretty bad writing and tone issues, but some people are enjoying the campiness of it. I'm giving it a few more episodes to see where it goes and if it finally picks between Burton and Nolan instead of being a weird mismatch of the two, but so far Penguin is basically the only fun/interesting character to me.

e: Balloon murder exemplifies exactly what Deadpool was talking about though. It was a goofy as gently caress villain that would've fit into 60's Batman, but then everyone else on the show spends the whole episode talking about what a serious problem he is and how he's a cop killer, and it just doesn't match at all.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 13, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Not surprising. Any actor/actresses have written decent scifi books?

Not scifi, but Hugh Laurie and Steve Martin have written great novels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hugh Laurie's book is really good. It's basically a crime novel starring himself. IIRC how it worked out is that he was originally writing something explicitly about himself but decided his life was too boring and spiced it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

The third episode was actually good, no schizophrenic pacing or anything. I kinda liked the balloon dude essentially jump-starting young Bruce Wayne's desire for vigilantism but at the end of the day I'm sure most people will just watch it and see "well goofy balloon murder, it played out like a cop procedural", which is not entirely false either, since I'm sure nearly everyone in here hates cop procedurals.

I liked it too, but Deadpool isn't wrong in that the show has some weird tonal issues. Balloon murder is a goofy comic book hero thing, but the show also heavily plays up the gritty cop drama police corruption/brutality angle. I mean, it makes sense given who Gordon becomes, but I can see how its not for everyone.

But I like NCIS (not so much the last season and this one so far) so procedural junk doesn't bother me.

• Locked thread