Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the damage cutoff gets higher on the more difficult stages. I know that on the south half of the map the cutoff is closer to 4000 points, but on the top couple of rows I've A-ranked it at like 5600 so I expect the cutoff is 6000 there.

The 1200 kills, 15 minute time limit is consistent though among all "adventure"-marked maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The damage cutoff for rank 3 weapon missions is 10k damage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh no I just tried Ghirahim's level 2 weapon quest and it turns out he's really fun too though that Cucco that shows up early in the mission can get hosed

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dastardly posted:

Are you loving kidding me? I can't believe how many times I suicided on that goddamn Ruto level after I thought I was getting hit too much in the beginning wave.

Kaubocks posted:

oh no I just tried Ghirahim's level 2 weapon quest and it turns out he's really fun too though that Cucco that shows up early in the mission can get hosed

I just came to terms with the fact that I was going to aggro that Cucco whether I wanted to or not, so I just went whole hog when I had an opening. His BBBBY raise the roof move is really effective at dealing with them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah once I ran halfway across the map and realized he was hot on my tail the whole time, I came to the same conclusion. If anything, having a swarm of Cuccos around me for the whole map made it easy to hit the 1200 KO requirement. :v:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I recently replayed Midna's rank 2 weapon level in order to get the piece of heart there. First keep I go to take, two Cuccos spawn on me and close the gates. Midna, however, was having none of their poo poo. I killed both of them by spamming YYYYX and then had to sit there for like 15 seconds waiting for the doors to open. :shepface:

So yeah, Midna! She's really fuckin' strong.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What even happened to baiting enemies into attacking neutral cuccos so they go berserk on them instead of you? I swear I read somewhere that that's supposed to be possible, but after some minutes of having a cucco get whacked it decided it was cool with the bad guys but when I slightly whiffed it it summoned hell on earth on my rear end. Did I just misremember or what?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

What even happened to baiting enemies into attacking neutral cuccos so they go berserk on them instead of you? I swear I read somewhere that that's supposed to be possible, but after some minutes of having a cucco get whacked it decided it was cool with the bad guys but when I slightly whiffed it it summoned hell on earth on my rear end. Did I just misremember or what?

Someone said that yeah, but Lord knows I've never seen it happen. I've had captains and bosses wail on the loving thing and it doesn't care one bit.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Dastardly posted:

Its been a few days since I last tried but I'm pretty sure I've failed Links lv3 gauntlets with damage in the 5k to 6k range. Are you sure this applies to all lv3 weapons?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The requirements are usually 1200 kills, 15 minutes, and under 4000 (10 hearts) damage, except for smaller challenges and levels where the damage cap is arbitrarily higher.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Theswarms posted:

Its been a few days since I last tried but I'm pretty sure I've failed Links lv3 gauntlets with damage in the 5k to 6k range. Are you sure this applies to all lv3 weapons?

Might not be the case for all rank 3 weapons but it's definitely the case for every mission in the upper left corner.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there any reason to not play in Free Mode if I want to clear the story maps on Hero?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason to not play in Free Mode if I want to clear the story maps on Hero?

You can't get skulltulas but other than that no.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mastajake posted:

You can't get skulltulas but other than that no.

Oh, that's a good reason then.

Can I get the Hard skulltulas in Hero? I'd assume so, but it never hurts to ask.

e: Wow Hyrule Field took forever. I figured my level 60 Link with a 4-star 8-Bit Sword would just steamroll it, but... not really. I guess that's the end-game for min-maxing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Get the hard skulltulas on hard instead of hero. Don't kill yourself man, it's not worth it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wait hang on let's get a few things straight:

Yes you can get both skulltulas in Free mode. There isn't any reason to play Legend mode when going back to old levels.

I don't know if you can get Hard mode Skulltulas in Hero mode, but the real answer is don't pay hero mode because it is absolutely awful

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Hard and Hero share the same Skulltulas, the only reason you should play hero is if you are a masochist who wants to make the game less fun. :saddowns:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How do you get the second Skulltulas in adventure? The requirements for all of them seems to be

*Beat the first mission
*Kill 1200 enemies
*Take under four hearts worth of damage

I've met those goals but not had it spawn. I'm assuming by beat the first mission they mean make the doors to the enemy base open. Do you have to get 1200 kills before doing that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

How do you get the second Skulltulas in adventure? The requirements for all of them seems to be

*Beat the first mission
*Kill 1200 enemies
*Take under four hearts worth of damage

I've met those goals but not had it spawn. I'm assuming by beat the first mission they mean make the doors to the enemy base open. Do you have to get 1200 kills before doing that?

The first mission can vary, but it's whatever it says to do on the right side of the screen at the beginning. It may not be getting the enemy base open since there can be more than one thing you have to do occasionally.

You don't have to get the 1200 kills first, but what may be tripping you up is you can't get both skulltulas on a single playthrough of a level. If you have gotten the 1000 skulltula on a previous playthrough and are still having trouble then the only other thing it could be is that you took 4 hearts of damage and didn't realize it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Does anyone know how the game decides what kind of battle a Network Link will bring? I ask because the last 5 that I got from goons were all some variation of "Kill Zant". Is the game perhaps trying to tell me something about Zant?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't have to get the 1200 kills first, but what may be tripping you up is you can't get both skulltulas on a single playthrough of a level.

Oh, I did not realize that. I thought I was blowing it every time somehow.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
4142 damage...how the hell does that work?
These dungeon missions are hard enough to finish in the 15 minute timeframe

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

KingEffingFrost posted:

Does anyone know how the game decides what kind of battle a Network Link will bring? I ask because the last 5 that I got from goons were all some variation of "Kill Zant". Is the game perhaps trying to tell me something about Zant?

I think it goes with level ranges. Every level 99 I've seen has been Ganon's Tower, Dinolfos, and Sheik as the commander. If you're doing a lot of Links at about the same level, you should be getting the same setup.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dastardly posted:

It varies. Level 3 ball-and-chain is tough not only because of poeswarms punishing any stand-still combos, but because the A-rank damage cutoff is 4 or 5K.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
If you guys don't like specific characters you can always play two player and hide player one off in the corner of the map. Then use whatever character you want as player 2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've beaten Legend mode and thought I'd try to get Lana's Summoning Gate, but the square is still locked for some reason.

It seems like you can only get to that square from the south, which is where I was approaching it from, and nothing. It just won't let me go. I A-ranked the square to the south of it just in case and nada.

What gives?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Silver Falcon posted:

I've beaten Legend mode and thought I'd try to get Lana's Summoning Gate, but the square is still locked for some reason.

It seems like you can only get to that square from the south, which is where I was approaching it from, and nothing. It just won't let me go. I A-ranked the square to the south of it just in case and nada.

What gives?

You need to go into search mode on the square below it and use a raft on the pier, BEFORE beating that level.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why won't the hard skulltula on Death Mountain appear? The objective is to defeat Darunia twice and get 1500 kills before the enemy base opens up with Sheik, but doing that isn't spawning the skulltulla. :confused:

e: I got it. You have to beat Darunia the second time well in advance of Impa reaching the keep and attacking the enemy base. The first time I just beat him by a few seconds, but he hadn't retreated before Impa got there, which I guess didn't count. :rolleyes:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 13, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

That's the worst for me on the Hard Skulltula in Lake Hylia. I'll finish off King Dodongo, and then Sheik's face disappears off of the gamepad a couple seconds later. Guess which announcement the game prioritizes? :suicide:

I dunno what you guys did to get that one. I read someone say that you should leave the trash enemies behind so that Sheik isn't fighting the enemy commander, but it seems like the trash officers melt her just as fast as the commander does. I'm feeling like I gotta wait until I can play some local co-op to get it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The IGN wiki has a good guide to getting the hard skultullas to spawn.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The Lake Hylia one took me a few attempts, on the successful one I went past Sheik on my way out to fight King Dodongo and used a special to thin out the mooks around her before running on. That seemed to be enough for her to survive. She was next to the enemy outpost in the east corridor, so I guess it spawned enough enemies to keep her occupied, but not fast enough to overwhelm her.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zelda's level 3 baton mission is hilarious. You're completely and utterly outmatched, with bombchus and strong enemies coming everywhere. But if you can fend off the initial waves and kill the big poes quickly, you're golden. Literally all of my bases except the allied base fell, but my team had such high morale that they could fend off the encroaching hordes while I fought Ganondorf and got an A-rank.

This is what some of the harder missions are missing - morale boosting. If you could just get some breathing room by raising your team's morale, Zant's level would be so much easier for instance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Suaimhneas posted:

The Lake Hylia one took me a few attempts, on the successful one I went past Sheik on my way out to fight King Dodongo and used a special to thin out the mooks around her before running on. That seemed to be enough for her to survive. She was next to the enemy outpost in the east corridor, so I guess it spawned enough enemies to keep her occupied, but not fast enough to overwhelm her.

I actually managed to do this without any trouble. BBBY with the giant knife does a huge pile of damage to Dodongo's weak point, so I was able to get a smash in a single cycle. You can also force the weak point to expose itself by using focus mode and then expelling it with X immediately after you activate it. Dodongo died in maybe 45 seconds.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Oxxidation posted:

1200 kills, 15 minutes, somewhere in the neighborhood of < 5000 damage (just don't let yourself get beaten up too much and you should be fine, watch out for gold Cuccos.) Those are all the A requirements for the bigger stages.

Also feel comforted that some of the end adventure stages seem to have 10k damage as the cut off point. I got A's on levels I felt I had no business doing so, but hey, I'll take any bones the game throws.

I've only got about 10 squares to A left, and 4 of them are weapon levels. Man do I hate the LvL 3 time gate one. I'm 62 on Lana and it still feels like I'm too weak to take things out in time. Though reading the past couple of pages I see I've been playing her wrong. I'm kinda surprised they don't have something to explain the characters a little better, some of them are a bit obtuse.

And good lord the "final" challenge in adventure mode (top row, 4 or so in from the left, the one that is only Link is is something like "defeat the dark army") is harsh as hell. My link was 80 but it didn't matter because so drat much is sent to your base that you spend almost the whole time babysitting. I'm not looking forward to 'A'ing that thing.

Anyone have suggestions on playing Agitha? Out of anyone shes the one I enjoy the least simply because it feels like she is really slow and really weak at the same time. I've finally figured out that the beetle summon spam is the way to knock down a bosses weak point, but she still seems kinda crap. Mostly use her YYYX or YYYYX for the butterfly or beetle/butterfly but against somethings (fuckin moblins) it's not that great.

It's funny reading about the Baton levels because they got me to level the crap out of my Zelda, so I was able to do both the lvl 2 and 3 in one try :v:. I did the level 2 one by wiping out the rouge faction pretty much before anything was announced. Then I had to spend 4-5 min in my base beating away the enemy faction, but once they were gone there was nothing left to do but mop up and get my heart containers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Free Drinks posted:

I've only got about 10 squares to A left, and 4 of them are weapon levels. Man do I hate the LvL 3 time gate one. I'm 62 on Lana and it still feels like I'm too weak to take things out in time. Though reading the past couple of pages I see I've been playing her wrong. I'm kinda surprised they don't have something to explain the characters a little better, some of them are a bit obtuse.

I just got this one today - the biggest tip I have is to not try to fully kill Girahim. It wastes too much time. Get him down to half health and then go for the Aerolfos that's in your base. By the time you kill him, hopefully Impa and the other Aerolfos will have grouped together because what you really want to do is kill them both at once. Since the gate's attacks are all gigantic it's very well suited for fighting multiple enemies at the same time. Once you get them dead, spend a couple minutes racking up kills on the Dinolfos horde, but again don't worry about actually killing them. You just want to weaken them and get your kill count to somewhere in the 900s before charging to the base. I was able to do that in 9 minutes which gave me over 5 to kill Link, which was plenty.

It took me a few tries to get all that down, but you're way higher level than me and I did it with only a 3 star gate, so you should be able to manage it if you use her more powerful combos.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FINALLY beat Ruto's level 3. I didn't really do much different than the last few times, just too advantage of the base heavy more and just spammed tidal waves every-friggin-where. The biggest problem though isn't the flood of Poe's, dinolfos, flying things, or Cuccos. It's that Zant is such a pain in the rear end to fight! He takes forever because his weakness gauge is tied to his crazy meter, and he never lets off more than a single attack, so you have to wait for him to do one of his heavy's like 10 freaking times. I've had my base go from perfectly fine to dead in the span it takes to bring him down to half health.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Flytrap posted:

It's that Zant is such a pain in the rear end to fight! He takes forever because his weakness gauge is tied to his crazy meter, and he never lets off more than a single attack, so you have to wait for him to do one of his heavy's like 10 freaking times. I've had my base go from perfectly fine to dead in the span it takes to bring him down to half health.

I find that if you just stand still and keep blocking, he will keep his combo attacks going until he gets dizzy. The AI is smart enough to stop attacking when you're not in range anymore, so it basically punishes dodging.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

a cartoon duck posted:

I find that if you just stand still and keep blocking, he will keep his combo attacks going until he gets dizzy. The AI is smart enough to stop attacking when you're not in range anymore, so it basically punishes dodging.

This right here. It's a touch unintuitive, but when you see him using one of his combo finishers just park your rear end in front of him and block until he flops over. He is SO much easier to fight once you know to do this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Continuing in the vein of absolutely insane stages, the level 3 Great Fairy is totally ridiculous. I ended up ignoring: Zant, Girahim, Fortifier Captains, Seige Captains, a Dark Fairy to cure one of the keeps I needed to capture, and Healers (I did eventually kill the last ones) to go and capture the needed keeps and absolutely nothing else. I abused the fairy's invincibility during her combos to clear the barrier keep and then captured the other three, the last one a split second before one of the others was recaptured.

My allies were able to kill Zant and hold off Girahim all on their own while I took down the boss. It's nuts!

Now I've just got the 3 hardest ones left - Zant, Agitha, and Darunia.

E: Oh my god the level 3 Great fairy is dressed up like a Loftwing. :allears:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Darunia's is definitely not among the most difficult level 3 missions.

e: Here's what I did. Start off by kiting Ganondorf into the central keep and capture the keep while also whittling down 'Dorf to about half health. You want to capture the keep ASAP so you can intercept the two siege captains in the center of the map, ideally at the same time. From there, proceed to the SW keep and head south from there. You should run into Zelda and a couple of Moblins in the connecting corridor south of the SW keep. Take out the Moblins but ignore Zelda for now. At about that time, a "powerful enemy" should appear in the SW garden keep, so head down to pick him off, and from there take out the raid captains in the south keep, the remaining siege captain if you missed him earlier, and capture the SW and SE garden keeps.

Then go back to the SW keep to kill Zelda and the attacking Moblins (she does have to die, because if Fi or the SW keep falls then the allied base will fall before you kill Link); secure the NW keep if any Moblins are attacking it, take down the ambush captain, and then capture the remaining keeps and finish the map.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread