Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

kingturnip posted:

No, you see, 'cos in Singapore

what, this singapore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
David Miliband as Blair's heir apparent would've been tarred with Blair's failings and would've turned off a lot of left wing voters with his connection to extraordinary rendition (which the media would've cared about a lot more if he'd become leader, Nick Robinson shedding a tear for all the innocent kidnapping victims). Plus if you dislike Ed for adopting Tory policies, as a solid Blairite David would've been even worse. To his credit David did act very responsibly in leaving the party immediately and keeping quiet about his brother's leadership.

Balls would've likely caused factionalism and discontent by being an rear end in a top hat, Burnham would've attacked Cameron from the right and Abbott didn't command the confidence of the PLP among many other problems.

There really wasn't anyone better than Ed sadly.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Good news everyone, the format for the leader's debates for the next General Election has been announced, and they've included UKIP.

loving shoot me.

EDIT: It's basically the 5-3-2 format I outlined, but with the Greens removed because gently caress the Greens I guess.

Pasco posted:

A 5-3-2 format (LabLibConKipGre-LabLibCon-LabCon) which allows them to neutralise the first debate by making it unmanageably large, and turn the third debate into a Presidential style Miliband/Cameron face-off. This is the least obvious attempt at a spoiler and could possibly work.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 13, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pasco posted:

Good news everyone, the format for the leader's debates for the next General Election has been announced, and they've included UKIP.

loving shoot me.

Even if you dislike the Greens, how can anyone argue fairness, and not include a party that is polling higher than one in government, while including one with the same amount of seats?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Even if you dislike the Greens, how can anyone argue fairness, and not include a party that is polling higher than one in government, while including one with the same amount of seats?

The Lib Dems are currently in government and are likely to pick up at least 20-odd seats in 2015 despite their current woes. UKIP have only one MP but are polling high and have a realistic chance of picking up multiple seats in 2015. The Greens are neither likely to pick up multiple seats nor polling particularly well. How is their claim for inclusion anywhere near as strong as UKIP's or the Lib Dems'?

e: the Greens are not currently polling better than the Lib Dems - the former averaged <5% in the four most recent polls while the latter were on ~8%.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 13, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what ed miliband really needs is a charisma contest with another human being* on national television shortly before the election

*certain values of human, another

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I think it was someone in here who said that the Tories hate debates as they identified it as a key reason for losing out on a majority in 2010?

Just imagine David Cameron against Farage. For once, divide and rule may become a desirable outcome for the left i.e. Farage takes Cameron down a notch to the point where Tory voters switch to a side that can't form a Governnent :

tdrules fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 13, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pasco posted:

loving shoot me.

EDIT: It's basically the 5-3-2 format I outlined, but with the Greens removed because gently caress the Greens I guess.

By 2020 they'll just have a phone vote to eliminate a party at a time from the debates and by 2025 they won't even bother with polling stations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

By 2020 they'll just have a phone vote to eliminate a party at a time from the debates and by 2025 they won't even bother with polling stations.

Britain's Got Politics.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Pasco posted:

loving shoot me.

Reminder that this is not the definite format for the debates, it's the major broadcasters' (BBC, ITV, C4, Sky) proposal to the parties for the debates. It's not certain the four parties will agree to that exactly. For example the Guardian and Telegraph have suggested a joint youtube debate, the Lib Dems still favour 3-3-3 (unsurprising really) etc..

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The New Black posted:

Reminder that this is not the definite format for the debates, it's the major broadcasters' (BBC, ITV, C4, Sky) proposal to the parties for the debates. It's not certain the four parties will agree to that exactly. For example the Guardian and Telegraph have suggested a joint youtube debate, the Lib Dems still favour 3-3-3 (unsurprising really) etc..

why would anyone suggest handing Google control of a significant part of the electoral campaign at the same time as they're facing investigation for massive tax evasion?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Cerv posted:

why would anyone suggest handing Google control of a significant part of the electoral campaign at the same time as they're facing investigation for massive tax evasion?

Because they've got the biggest streaming platform across multiple devices with the largest demographic reach available?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Well there's always Twitch... who're owned by Amazon. :(

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Leadership debate to be held during multiplayer Minecraft stream.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Not Operator posted:

Leadership debate to be held during multiplayer Minecraft stream.

Future policy to decided by Spelunky Death Roulette.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Total Meatlove posted:

Because they've got the biggest streaming platform across multiple devices with the largest demographic reach available?

Sounds like they don't need the hand out

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Come now, no one's going to want to watch the debate if it involves any actual debate. We're here for shouting about how we're going to punish those Immigrants and stick it to the EU thank you very much.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Question from Tim in Ruislip, to each of the leaders: which starter Pokemon did you choose and why?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stottie Kyek posted:

Question from Tim in Ruislip, to each of the leaders: which starter Pokemon did you choose and why?
Are you talking about the original Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, or the new generation Pokemon Light-Pink and Pokemon Austerity?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

David Cameron: I chose Squirtle, not just because it is the traditional Conservative blue but because it represents a lot of British values; its tough outer shell shows our commitment to standing up and protecting not just ourselves but others around the world, its water element celebrates our fine naval traditions and nautical industries and even though it is small now there's a blastoise in each of us ready to come out when given the right opportunities in this great country.

Ed Miliband: Ditto.

Nick Clegg: I'm more of a monster rancher myself.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Nigel Farage: It's EU farming legislation that's keeping the British pokemon trainers down, and all these lazy new imported pokemon from the Bongo-Bongo leagues, and the feminisation of our society to the point that the Professor has to ask whether you're a boy or a girl. What was the question?

David Cameron: I met a 40-year-old black man who'd been a pokemon trainer for thirty years, he'd got his license at age ten just like all new trainers and I think that's quite right and proper that our children can be involved in combat roles.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Farage would choose Koffing, looks like him and represents his values. However no ones topping this:

namesake posted:

Ed Miliband: Ditto.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There really wasn't anyone better than Ed sadly.

Well, there was John McDonnell, but he was never going to achieve the nominations he needed. (Still won't next year.)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What's UKIP's connection to big monied interests like? I'm basically assuming they're stealth liberalisers like all the others and whatever passes for an establishment in 2014 UK wouldn't care too much if they got power.

Considering most of their most terrible policies are impossible it'd be interesting if they magically won and had a grassroots push to actually tackle banks and such. At this point I can't see them being worse than the tories, neither of whom I'll ever vote for.

Not that any of this will happen, Tory majority 2015 woo! This failtrain got no breaks!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Their biggest funder is an ex-Tory hedge-fundie.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Nothing 'stealth' about it in UKIP's case.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Zephro posted:

Their biggest funder is an ex-Tory hedge-fundie.

So yeah, then they're basically funnelling "the right kind" of populism into a lovely party that will sell them out. Thats pretty much what I thought.

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

Cerv posted:

The same reason it goes out on any media outlet, do you think they would pull the debate from Sky or ITV if there were questions about their tax? Besides, facing investigation for is not the same as proven to have been, the books could all line up at this stage, however unlikely.
Surely more debate across more forms of media is a good thing, adults are currently watching almost as much online video as TV each year and the trend is even more pronounced in teenagers, bringing that generation into the political conversation, or at least making them aware, is an admirable goal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tiran Dirth posted:

Surely more debate across more forms of media is a good thing, adults are currently watching almost as much online video as TV each year and the trend is even more pronounced in teenagers, bringing that generation into the political conversation, or at least making them aware, is an admirable goal.

I guess it could lead to more TV debates and then some with actual information in. Though the main campaign debates are just ad campaigns at this point for a couple different flavours of economic strip mining. Nobody is gonna be pulling any real information from them, we know in advance they're going to say "We're the best, vote for me,".

e: canny viewers can pick apart their narrative strategies I guess.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

nopantsjack posted:

So yeah, then they're basically funnelling "the right kind" of populism into a lovely party that will sell them out. Thats pretty much what I thought.
Yeah, voting UKIP would be against the interests of almost all UKIP voters. It's a protest vote (and quite an effective one, too - you can bet the Cabinet are thinking about Clacton and its problems in a way that they haven't for decades).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What's particularly annoying is how people seized on the Part 2 safeguards - and their references to aggregated metadata - as proof of how evil the Bill was when it was literally the exact opposite, the very first time (that I'm aware of) that any government has attempted to limit the aggregation of metadata in that way.

Part II isn't just a "safeguard", it's codifying in law that anyone "senior" enough in a public authority can request communications data for nebulously-defined reasons without being forced to seek a warrant. It's basically taking the worst parts of RIPA and transplanting them into the bill. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see, say, a movie studio leaning on the police to make such requests for data.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
David Cameron has already started looking for entertainment for the debate intermission.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

tdrules posted:

David Cameron has already started looking for entertainment for the debate intermission.

That is offensive to people of blur.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Something relevant to the new bright idea to sell off Eurostar...

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/privatisation-and-government-debt.html?m=1

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zephro posted:

Yeah, voting UKIP would be against the interests of almost all UKIP voters. It's a protest vote (and quite an effective one, too - you can bet the Cabinet are thinking about Clacton and its problems in a way that they haven't for decades).

Are they though? With Labour deciding to embrace xenophobia it seems the only message the political class are taking from the rise of UKIP is that they need to bash poor immigrants (nobody, especially not UKIP, is criticising the Russian Oligarchs for coming to London) more in order to keep working class support. I suppose there's the jam tomorrow at some point in the future tax cuts in Cameron's conference speech but it wasn't much.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
The tax cuts in Cameron's speech weren't for the working class, though. It's hardly jam at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Part II isn't just a "safeguard", it's codifying in law that anyone "senior" enough in a public authority can request communications data for nebulously-defined reasons without being forced to seek a warrant. It's basically taking the worst parts of RIPA and transplanting them into the bill. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see, say, a movie studio leaning on the police to make such requests for data.

That's literally the situation now (that a sufficiently senior official can authorise a CD request). Part 2 actually firms up the proportionality tests compared to the current RIPA regime to help avoid the aggregated metadata problem.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Parliament are currently debating a non-binding Backbench Motion on recognition of Palestine. The text of the motion and its amendments are below:

That this House believes that the Government should recognise the state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel.
  1. ...on the conclusion of successful peace negotiations between the Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority.
  2. ...as a contribution to securing a negotiated two state solution.

Looks like the motion might pass, although ministers are abstaining and the Government position won't change regardless of the vote.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Cameron seems to object to the Greens not being included in the debates if UKIP are. So, that pretty much confirms that they won't be in one of the debates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
for what its worth; Cameron is questioning the lack of Green inclusion in the debates, since they have an equal number of MPs to UKIP and actually elected one at the last general election

...so look forward to the Greens not being included in any of the debates, then!

• Locked thread