Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable Melange posted:

No one is punishing you, we are telling you you're not loving funny and you should shut the gently caress up about rape.

Settle down there Seabiscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Sheep-Goats posted:

Really though rape is never a joke nor something to be taken lightly. Unless a clown or a hot air balloon is involved.

Or both.

pretty sure I heard some version of this in 8th grade

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Babbys, why don't you tell more jokes about robbing people blind because you have tits, that's a much funnier and more acceptable joke because *~feminism~*

Awwww, is someone upset? That one sentence sure made you awwwwwwful mad.

E: sure you don't belong frothing at the mouth in the gamergate thread instead?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your self-righteousness is showing through.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Pffft.

Anyone gotten their hands on Death and Co.'s new book? I flipped through it for a moment and was pleasantly surprised. Stoked to see more writing on techniques (like Jeff did in his new book) rather than another 500 recipes.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ I was at the launch thanks to Vegetable Melange and we were supposed to get a copy but by the time we left they'd run out. They took emails and are supposedly sending copies out but I haven't heard anything yet.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Babbys, why don't you tell more jokes about robbing people blind because you have tits, that's a much funnier and more acceptable joke because *~feminism~*

Sheep-Goats posted:

Settle down there Seabiscuit.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Your self-righteousness is showing through.

Oh my god there isn't a :qq: loving big enough. You two Mensa candidates can't see why it might be a bad idea to make jokes about sexual assault to a lady who works in the service industry? You're seriously thinking that you guys are the ones being hard done by here? Tell me, if a customer started making tasteless rape jokes to one of the ladies you worked with and she asked them to stop, would you tell them to shut the gently caress up before you got security to drag their unfunny, disrespectful rear end out, or would you jump at the opportunity to bring out your hilarious repertoire of rape jokes and pile on her? Cos guess which way you've been defending so far?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus gently caress, you are one hypocritical, double standard employing bitch. I think you'd be much better suited posting on Tumblr ( which you probably do, TW: rape, non feminist humor, rationality ) than SA.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Ok, there may be some number of pages in this thread that somebody would find useful. The last page has not been.

Fix it or dig for it in the gas chamber.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
E: ^hey, look at that timing! Awesome!

I wish this thread were like real life, where when regulars whose opinions I respected (sometimes) would get in a tiff with one another, and went on, and on, and on, and wouldn't let up, all I had to say was:

"Hey, loving knock that poo poo off. Both of you/all of you. Or you can go the gently caress home, cause you're done doing it here. So fuckin' stop."

Or some variant. Worked a treat with all the cussin' in there, usually.

So, yeah. Do that, y'all. Cause you guys/girls have some great experience and info and stories and this isn't really a fun thread right now.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I extend that courtesy to people sitting at the bar who are obviously settling in for a while or people that I know. I've had maybe 3 walk outs in 8 years bartending and 14 in the service industry. When they happened, we shrugged and said "oh well, cost of buasiness." and comped them out.

One of my favorite things with old-time drinkers (at least around these parts) is their awesome way of just putting their cash out on the bar and, upon ordering another drink, I'd just have to take the appropriate amount out of their stack or drop change if they needed it. And that was just the way it was done. No running courtesy tabs, just a small stack of drinkin' money on the bar for immediate payment.

I do that from time to time at quieter places or places I know I'll be chilling at for a while/more often. I never just expect a bartender to reach for the stack for the appropriate amount of cash though. Usually I'll just say "Oh, take it out of there please" when ordering another drink. Feels cool.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FaceEater posted:

One of my favorite things with old-time drinkers (at least around these parts) is their awesome way of just putting their cash out on the bar and, upon ordering another drink, I'd just have to take the appropriate amount out of their stack or drop change if they needed it. And that was just the way it was done. No running courtesy tabs, just a small stack of drinkin' money on the bar for immediate payment.

I do that from time to time at quieter places or places I know I'll be chilling at for a while/more often. I never just expect a bartender to reach for the stack for the appropriate amount of cash though. Usually I'll just say "Oh, take it out of there please" when ordering another drink. Feels cool.

That sounds chill as hell. Man, I'd love to be a regular at a place that would let me do that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skoll posted:

Jesus gently caress, you are one hypocritical, double standard employing bitch. I think you'd be much better suited posting on Tumblr ( which you probably do, TW: rape, non feminist humor, rationality ) than SA.

Hahaha, please tell me more about the culture of SA (that I've been reading and posting on since about a year after it's creation) and more about the industry that I've clawed into and earned my chops in. I don't post my accreditations and credentials solely because goons are MOTHERFUCKIN creeps and last time I did I had to have a WHOLE lot of people show up at my place of work, harass me on social media, etc. I'm good at my job, I know what I'm talking about, I'm actually a pretty nice lady.

Needless to say, keep it up, you sound like assholes, feel free to approach me one on one at industry events and I'll tell you what an rear end in a top hat you are, otherwise, cope with the fact that your joke wasn't humorous and MOVE ON.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hahaha, please tell me more about the culture of SA (that I've been reading and posting on since about a year after it's creation) and more about the industry that I've clawed into and earned my chops in. I don't post my accreditations and credentials solely because goons are MOTHERFUCKIN creeps and last time I did I had to have a WHOLE lot of people show up at my place of work, harass me on social media, etc. I'm good at my job, I know what I'm talking about, I'm actually a pretty nice lady.

Needless to say, keep it up, you sound like assholes, feel free to approach me one on one at industry events and I'll tell you what an rear end in a top hat you are, otherwise, cope with the fact that your joke wasn't humorous and MOVE ON.

Tell me more about your regdate shaming, O glorious and illustrious bartender of yore. I'm not saying that you're not good at your job, for all I know you could be Tom Cruise or some poo poo. I don't care either. I just think you maybe need to lighten up over a joke. Yeah, it may have been distasteful for you and you're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean stifling the other guy of his.

Also, I can honestly see why people would hassle you on social media, at work, etc.. And it's not because of your double standards or your tits. It's more like that you act like a pompous bitch.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Lemme just quote this poo poo right here one more time:

Slo-Tek posted:

Ok, there may be some number of pages in this thread that somebody would find useful. The last page has not been.

Slo-Tek posted:

Slo-Tek posted:

Slo-Tek posted:

Slo-Tek posted:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
How often do people steal glassware from bars? Is it much of an issue for staff, or does it just get written off like breakage? On one hand, it seems trivial for places with cheap, replaceable glassware that costs less than the tip for a drink. On the other hand, do you consider it to be offensive/disrespectful, or just typical bar nonsense?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In my experience it most frequently happens at beer bars, or beer centric bars with specialty glassware or labeled pint glasses. The most egregious example I can think of offhand is the Kwak glass, which is a specialty beer glass designed for use on trains. It's fairly expensive and cumbersome, but people like it for that reason. I'm sure there are bars that are known for having unique/vintage cocktail glasses but that's not really a thing in Houston that I'm aware of.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Zodijackylite posted:

How often do people steal glassware from bars? Is it much of an issue for staff, or does it just get written off like breakage? On one hand, it seems trivial for places with cheap, replaceable glassware that costs less than the tip for a drink. On the other hand, do you consider it to be offensive/disrespectful, or just typical bar nonsense?

when I was bartending? I didn't give a poo poo - not my glassware, that's something for management to worry about. As for whether it's common or not, it only very rarely happened.

I may have also walked out of a precious few bars still drinking from a pint glass.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Vegas rules.

Not glassware exactly, but If you've got copper cups for your Moscow mules, then those things have practically got targets painted on em. I've heard of places keeping ID's behind the bar as collateral for getting your mule in a copper cup.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

nrr posted:

Vegas rules.

Not glassware exactly, but If you've got copper cups for your Moscow mules, then those things have practically got targets painted on em. I've heard of places keeping ID's behind the bar as collateral for getting your mule in a copper cup.

Standard practice. Some Stoli reps came by one night handing out some cheap versions to our patrons; not solid copper, just plated over some aluminum. You better believe I bussed the poo poo out of those when I saw them not in hand anyway. I'll spring for a 4-set sometime, but have more than enough cheapies for now.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Truly living the spirit of anything Moscow

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My mule mug is the one I got from a thrift store with an engraving that reads "Jim's 18th Birthday" in fancy letters. After I got that, I saw no need for acquiring more copper mugs.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Well, when you serve a double scotch on the rocks to my quite intoxicated rear end without telling me it's five minutes to closing, don't be surprised if I'm halfway home before I realize that I left with your glass. Made for a much nicer walk, though.

On the other hand, it's basically expected that your firstborn is to be used as collateral for a copper mug in this town.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I regularly run tabs for people without holding a card, especially if it's a Sunday night tinder date. Stay out the way of those things so they can do the important work of getting liqoured up enough to go home with a stranger to get theirs.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Our Delirium Tremens tulips disappear nearly as fast as we can order 'em.

Of course, so do our rechargeable electric candles.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FaceEater posted:

Do any of you extend this courtesy still, and if so, by what standards? Or do you live by the hard and fast rules of tabs with cards / cash on the spot?
When I lived in the south of Germany for a while, this seemed to be the standard. You could pay if you wanted to, which you'd do if it was only for one drink, but otherwise you'd just do it at the end, didn't matter whether they knew you or not. It was a bit strange to me at first, and I may have forgotten about it and walked out a few times...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was in Paris recently and at the bar we ended up drinking the most, the owner told me "no no, you can settle up when you're done" the first time I ordered. It was nice but odd to my American sensibilities.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Entropist posted:

When I lived in the south of Germany for a while, this seemed to be the standard. You could pay if you wanted to, which you'd do if it was only for one drink, but otherwise you'd just do it at the end, didn't matter whether they knew you or not. It was a bit strange to me at first, and I may have forgotten about it and walked out a few times...

Ya know, thinking back, the same kinda thing happened in the smaller, normal-people suburbs of Vienna. I had totally forgotten. We were heartily and happily waved off with our cash when trying to pay for the first round until we came back several beers and probably a couple shots later and only then were allowed to pay. Hm. Perhaps that is truly the better way.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

It all depends on the kind of bar you're in. Night club, people pay as soon as they get their booze. Bar/restaurant, you can hang out and get treated accordingly, depending on how you behave. It's not rocket science, and as I've said multiple times in this thread before, it all depends on the context of the bar/establishment that you're in.

There is NO hard and fast rule that encompasses every single bar in the universe. What works in some places does clearly not work in others. A hell of a lot of bar tending is making judgement calls. Sometimes those are very important. Sometimes, any loving idiot could make the same calls. Personally, my favourite ones are where you get to kick out a relative. Frankly, I'd like to class, 'relative,' under the same token as, 'goon'

...cos I think of y'all as family, obviously

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Can anybody recommend a well built corkscrew with a built in bottle opener. I'm sick of using the half broken pieces of poo poo at work, and I don't want a corkscrew AND a bottle opener clanking around in my pocket.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

martinlutherbling posted:

Can anybody recommend a well built corkscrew with a built in bottle opener. I'm sick of using the half broken pieces of poo poo at work, and I don't want a corkscrew AND a bottle opener clanking around in my pocket.

Get a pulltab. Classic for a reason.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
Dutch (former) bar goon dropping in.

We used to work with tabs during the day time and during the night time on a slow day. Weekends on the other hand you made people pay before you handed them anything. If a bar is crowded you don't want to be fishing for a couple of euro's when the bar is 4 deep and everybody wants to get drunk (because the people sucked and the music was godawful, that's why you drink). The only exceptions we made were to people the boss knew for a long time and they didn't even have to pay when they were done, they could just drop in 3 weeks later and settle that tab and there would be no problem.

We had a guy who reserved the entire bar for a small party (around 200 people, place was packed) who got his entire party on tab. Apparently he knew the boss very well because at the end of the evening he gave every bartender 50,- and got in a taxi and just drove away. Great loving night that was, nobody paid and we just kept pouring drink after drink. Everybody loved us, which showed when people started leaving and it turned out we got 100 euro tip per bartender (in addition to minimum wage and the aforementioned 50). This was on a tuesday. The week after that he dropped in with a huge check and settled all his affairs with our boss, I don't even want to know how much that was, because people weren't slumming it that night.

I don't work in a bar anymore and have my life back together, but I liked it for a while. Just not for longer then 2 years full-time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Huh, I didn't even realize that was an abnormal thing -- at all of my favorite bars (Seattle, mostly nicer cocktail places), I always get my tab at the very very end when I ask for it / they know I'm about to head out. Then again, I go there enough (and on off nights) so I know the bartenders fairly well.

Being a regular / getting some special treatment is pretty awesome, but oh man is it expensive :|

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dang Movax tell me you didn't sleep on the Amor y Amargo takeover of the Rob Roy last night. From what I can tell, that was the jam.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty tired of people getting all up in arms over getting cut off. Yeah bud, you staggered into a high-end restaurant with the rest of your middle-aged posse, couldn't find your way to the washrooms and are going to get all up in my face when I suggest having some water and a few snacks before your next round. I'll never understand how poo poo that isn't tolerated in dive bars and clubs is acceptable in restaurants.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
To be completely frank, most people don't end their nights of drinking at a restaurant, and people will be more apt to just hustle them out of the door. Still sucks, especially because someone getting pig drunk with dinner probably wouldn't last very long if they could get in the door of a place that serves as long as the law permits.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also at bars tossing someone out means next to nothing. "I'm telling all my friends!" Good, motherfucker; I don't want to serve people that voluntarily hang out with someone that gets forcibly ejected anyway. Save me some time.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Bartending at an old dive in Chicago was awesome. 95% of the patrons did the cash-on-bar thing and I was close enough to Wrigleyville to get to (justifiably) kick people out in the most raging dickhead way. Hustling as a bartender was way more satisfying when you got to keep all the money for yourself.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Also, Portland Cocktail Week.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Dang Movax tell me you didn't sleep on the Amor y Amargo takeover of the Rob Roy last night. From what I can tell, that was the jam.

:stare: I haven't been to Rob Roy in a long time (I usually go with another goon who basically lives there at this point I think, mnd), but that sounds awesome. I think I have regular status at Whisky Bar and Bathtub Gin, and a lesser degree at Zig Zag. Stopped going to Tavern Law because I can't park easily.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So I'm assuming when your regular bartender hits on you when you are both not drunk its a good sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nthalp posted:

So I'm assuming when your regular bartender hits on you when you are both not drunk its a good sign?

Depends, is it someone you want to sleep with? Are you sure it's actual flirtation and not just pandering for tips?

• Locked thread