Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What kind of bandwidth requirements are there for streaming 4k?

Is there even such as a 4k DVD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
For Netflix? 25Mbps

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of bandwidth requirements are there for streaming 4k?

Is there even such as a 4k DVD?

4k Bluray should be out next year using h265 and hdcp 2.2

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
So after 3 and a half years my trusty cheap-rear end 40" Sharp TV up and died on me. Just went black half way through Doctor Who. :( So I'm in the market for a new TV. Don't need much in the way of features, mostly going to be playing games/blu-rays/netflix via my Playstation. Ideally like another TV around 40" since it's pretty much the ideal size for my living room.

Got around £400 to play with, are there any clear goon approved sets for this size/price?

edit: These two look like the best fits I've found so far but reviews seem few and far between:

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40h5000-led-hd-1080p-tv-40-with-freeview-hd/p1461311

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kdl40r483-led-hd-1080p-tv-40-with-freeview-hd/p1339723

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 12, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
After a few days with the F8500 plasma and having gotten rid of the p series. Im so glad i did. While the p series was great for an lcd, it really doesn't compare and with the price drop you are talking $300 difference between the 60" p and the 60" F8500.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Any opinions on this LG 55LB5900 versus the Vizio E550i? They're about the same price on Amazon/Best Buy, but I'll be using the Best Buy mover's guide coupon. The LG seems slightly better-rated, and I don't need any smart TV stuff, but the Vizio has more HDMI inputs. I only use 2 right now, so that's not a big deal, but could be a future-proofing issue.

As a side note, the Mover's Guide coupon prohibits use on "select" LG TVs. This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone happen to know if the coupon will work on an LG that is being discounted, as this one is?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...B5900&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e...e550i&cp=1&lp=1

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm looking for some ideas for how I can set up my entertainment center--I'm doing a wall mount for my TV and want a better and cleaner setup for the cable box, 360 and PS3.

Are there any galleries of user-submitted pics of their setups?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm looking for some ideas for how I can set up my entertainment center--I'm doing a wall mount for my TV and want a better and cleaner setup for the cable box, 360 and PS3.
You can install two buttholes in your wall and run cables through them so there's nothing hanging from your TV. I did it and have a little stand underneath that holds the things that connect to the TV.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Any opinions on this LG 55LB5900 versus the Vizio E550i? They're about the same price on Amazon/Best Buy, but I'll be using the Best Buy mover's guide coupon. The LG seems slightly better-rated, and I don't need any smart TV stuff, but the Vizio has more HDMI inputs. I only use 2 right now, so that's not a big deal, but could be a future-proofing issue.

As a side note, the Mover's Guide coupon prohibits use on "select" LG TVs. This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone happen to know if the coupon will work on an LG that is being discounted, as this one is?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...B5900&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e...e550i&cp=1&lp=1

Don't buy an LG. The E550i has one of the best display lag ratings for that size across all brands. If you plan on playing games, this is important (otherwise not so much).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

Don't buy an LG. The E550i has one of the best display lag ratings for that size across all brands. If you plan on playing games, this is important (otherwise not so much).

I mostly plan on watching movies and sports (football mainly, some baseball and hockey). Movies would be at night, sports would likely be in the day, if it makes a difference. I may get a PS4 eventually but not right now, so gaming isn't a big deal. Except maybe Civ5 on Steam Big Picture, though I've never tried it.

edit: is there a particular reason you don't like the LG?

moon demon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

butt dickus posted:

You can install two buttholes in your wall and run cables through them so there's nothing hanging from your TV. I did it and have a little stand underneath that holds the things that connect to the TV.

I've seen these and plan to use one, or a similar snorkel style setup to get the wiring up there, but I'm mostly looking for a gallery of people's home theater setups for ideas on how to set mine up.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Hey feel free to redirect me if this is the improper thread, but;

I have an RCA 32LA30RQ (got it off Craigslist recently), and while it's pretty good, for some reason my N64 won't show up on it. I have it plugged in correctly but it still shows no signal. I've tested it on other TVs and it works, so the N64 isn't the issue
It's probably me missing something obvious, but any suggestions would be appreciated

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

chupacabraTERROR posted:

edit: is there a particular reason you don't like the LG?

My grandparents have 3 of them and each one has a different stupid problem with it.

Also this: http://www.darkreading.com/compliance/lg-admits-smart-tvs-spied-on-users/d/d-id/1112755

I'm also really, really happy with my Vizio: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-Razor/dp/B009H8JOZS

They're both "budget brands" but Vizio's really come into it's own in recent years with their insanely low display lag at an affordable price. Definitely wait until near Black Friday though; I got that TV for $688 during a 1-minute Amazon Lightning Deal. 11/27/2013 if it matters/be around the same time.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

My grandparents have 3 of them and each one has a different stupid problem with it.

Also this: http://www.darkreading.com/compliance/lg-admits-smart-tvs-spied-on-users/d/d-id/1112755

I'm also really, really happy with my Vizio: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-Razor/dp/B009H8JOZS

They're both "budget brands" but Vizio's really come into it's own in recent years with their insanely low display lag at an affordable price. Definitely wait until near Black Friday though; I got that TV for $688 during a 1-minute Amazon Lightning Deal. 11/27/2013 if it matters/be around the same time.

I ended up getting this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-240hz-smart-hdtv/3924175.p?id=1219094699379&skuId=3924175

It looked better than both the LG and Vizio in the store, and I've heard nothing but good things about Panasonics. I couldn't find many reviews about this specific set because it's a Best Buy exclusive, but I am very pleased so far. I haven't had much time to set it up or play with the settings yet. I believe the panel is just a variation of the AS65U series, so I'll probably look into calibration settings for that panel and try them out.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Valex posted:

Hey feel free to redirect me if this is the improper thread, but;

I have an RCA 32LA30RQ (got it off Craigslist recently), and while it's pretty good, for some reason my N64 won't show up on it. I have it plugged in correctly but it still shows no signal. I've tested it on other TVs and it works, so the N64 isn't the issue
It's probably me missing something obvious, but any suggestions would be appreciated

Have you tried anything else on the same input? I'd say the input (composite RCA?) being broken is most likely.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

After a few days with the F8500 plasma and having gotten rid of the p series. Im so glad i did. While the p series was great for an lcd, it really doesn't compare and with the price drop you are talking $300 difference between the 60" p and the 60" F8500.

Curse you, I was trying to talk myself into the 70 inch Vizio and out of the F8500. Today I caved and bought an open box PN64F8500 with 1400 hours on it from Best Buy for $1850 delivered. I wanted to buy local for the return policy in case of buyer's remorse. It's replacing an LG 60PK550 with absolutely no anti-glare.

They had one for $1350 and 400 hours, but the coax input had been broken off and I wasn't sure it was repairable. :gonk:

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Looking for a 70"+ TV to replace my aging 40" plasma I got a few years ago. The Samsung UN75H6350 75-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV looks like a solid choice, but a few things give me pause, including Samsung's crappy software and the fact that most of the Amazon reviews look like they came from a review farm.

Main application would be playing the PS4, watching Netflix through an Apple TV and that's about it. I thought about 4K but there's no widespread source material for it yet, so it seems like something that can wait a few years until it's ubiquitous. Is this a good TV to get or are there other, better options e.g., comparable Sony or Sharp.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mandals posted:

Looking for a 70"+ TV to replace my aging 40" plasma I got a few years ago. The Samsung UN75H6350 75-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV looks like a solid choice, but a few things give me pause, including Samsung's crappy software and the fact that most of the Amazon reviews look like they came from a review farm.

Main application would be playing the PS4, watching Netflix through an Apple TV and that's about it. I thought about 4K but there's no widespread source material for it yet, so it seems like something that can wait a few years until it's ubiquitous. Is this a good TV to get or are there other, better options e.g., comparable Sony or Sharp.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL70W85...ds=sony+70+inch a couple months ago and love the poo poo out of it. The 3D isn't the best on earth, but I have no real use for it so it doesn't bother me. The contrast is nice, the blacks are nice. It's a drat nice TV.

The only downside is that I see how terrible cable compression is. Jesus Christ football looks like poo poo. PS4 and Netflix through an Apple TV look really good though. It's supposed to be the best 70+ inch TV for gaming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The best tv for gaming in that size is probably the p70 from vizio now as far as response time is concerned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Sony is probably still going to have better picture quality.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I just bought the Samsung UA75H6400AW. Not sure what the exact differences are with your model and mine. Just opened it last night.

Was very, very unimpressed with the pixelation on sports/games until I worked out the default setting had Tru Motion or some similar poo poo on trying to deal with 'fast action scenes'. Like I put in FIFA15, kicked a goal where the ball spun a lot, watched the replay and it looked like there was a shimmering cloud around the ball - it was awful. Turned that off and now I can barely see pixelation. Ditto with HD sports. It's not perfect with the pixelation but it's pretty close to non-visible.

Bizarelly, everything else looks better after I turned that off too. Like even standard definition TV looks better. Not sure if placebo effect or it actually made a difference.

Anyway, I think I'm happy. Only had about an hour to test it out.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

AppleCider posted:

Curse you, I was trying to talk myself into the 70 inch Vizio and out of the F8500. Today I caved and bought an open box PN64F8500 with 1400 hours on it from Best Buy for $1850 delivered. I wanted to buy local for the return policy in case of buyer's remorse. It's replacing an LG 60PK550 with absolutely no anti-glare.

They had one for $1350 and 400 hours, but the coax input had been broken off and I wasn't sure it was repairable. :gonk:

I went back to Best Buy and ordered the TV with the broken input for $1455 delivered when I realized I could just use an HDTV digital tuner/converter box ($30) with HDMI out for the TV. It pushed my delivery back a few days but saving $350 was too hard to pass up. Will be awesome to have a set with a great picture after passing on the Pioneer Kuro set years ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Plex is out for vizio tv's. All 2013/2014 tv's

https://blog.plex.tv/2014/10/15/plex-vizio/

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Aphrodite posted:

A Sony is probably still going to have better picture quality.

The vizio will have 4k and full array local dimming backlighting while the sony will have 1080p and edge lit backlighting. I would argue that it's extremely hard to compete against FALD when it comes to image quality, though both look great. Both have good input lag and work well for gaming. You lose 3d when going to the Vizio.

I believe they even use the same panel manufacturer and pixel structure (Sharp VA).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sony motion processing remains the best in the business though.

I've compared Vizo M series FALD with my edge lit Sony and there's honestly still no contest. The Vizo TV is great for the price, but the panel just doesn't get black enough to compete, even with the backlight dimmed and it doesn't calibrate as accurate.

For the price, you are getting a bargain. However, FALD does not trump all, not by a long shot.

Granted, my Sony had an MSRP of about 4x the Vizio so it's not an apples to apples comparison and it's certainly not 4x better. But if you buy a Sony at MSRP, you're a sucker.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I think I want to buy the Sony KDL55W700B this weekend. Apparently it is the same as the KDL55W800B but without the 3D (which I don't want). Anyone have this TV or any opinions on why I shouldn't get it?

If I go larger than 55, I would go with the Sony KDL60W630B.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

sparticus posted:

I think I want to buy the Sony KDL55W700B this weekend. Apparently it is the same as the KDL55W800B but without the 3D (which I don't want). Anyone have this TV or any opinions on why I shouldn't get it?

If I go larger than 55, I would go with the Sony KDL60W630B.

The 60W850b drops to ~1100 on occasion, you may want to wait for that. Set an alert on slickdeals.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Mandals posted:

Let me ask a followup question: are there any TVs that don't have idiotic interfaces or come with questionable capabilities that you can't disable? Samsung seems to have great picture quality, but Smart Hub seems like a disaster. Sony doesn't seem any better. Ideally, I'd be looking for a 70"+ TV with low input lag, no built-in speakers (because come on now) and a barely-there OS/UI. Does such a magical creation exist, or are all high-end TVs doomed to suffer from shiity, bloated interfaces because manufacturers think they need to "differentiate" by seeing who can design the most obnoxious UI/UX.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mandals posted:

Let me ask a followup question: are there any TVs that don't have idiotic interfaces or come with questionable capabilities that you can't disable? Samsung seems to have great picture quality, but Smart Hub seems like a disaster. Sony doesn't seem any better. Ideally, I'd be looking for a 70"+ TV with low input lag, no built-in speakers (because come on now) and a barely-there OS/UI. Does such a magical creation exist, or are all high-end TVs doomed to suffer from shiity, bloated interfaces because manufacturers think they need to "differentiate" by seeing who can design the most obnoxious UI/UX.

You realize you can ignore the UI on pretty much every tv. And you arnt going to avoid speakers except in a professional display monitor, but speakers now are pretty much hidden in new tvs

On my 4k vizio, i just never went into the smart part. On my samsung plasma, i just never go into the smart part. Magic!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No. High end TVs are Smart TVs.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

You realize you can ignore the UI on pretty much every tv. And you arnt going to avoid speakers except in a professional display monitor, but speakers now are pretty much hidden in new tvs

On my 4k vizio, i just never went into the smart part. On my samsung plasma, i just never go into the smart part. Magic!

Yeah my Vizio doesn't have visible speakers, and the built in ones aren't half bad for just watching TV.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Got it. Thanks all.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

LG's webOS interface is by far my favorite, but i'm not a fan of their screen uniformity on the edgelit sets. I am waiting for 65"+ oled sets to come down to earth, but when that comes it'll probably be LG. Mostly because they're the only one making them now :haw:

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Looking at getting this tv: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID2HI8O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any reason I should hold off pulling the trigger? I've been trolling around the internet looking for news about possible price drops and other than trying to deal with the craziness/lottery of Black Friday it seems this a solid price for an entry level 55" 4K TV.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mandals posted:

Mills posted:

I just bought the Samsung UA75H6400AW. Not sure what the exact differences are with your model and mine. Just opened it last night.

Was very, very unimpressed with the pixelation on sports/games until I worked out the default setting had Tru Motion or some similar poo poo on trying to deal with 'fast action scenes'. Like I put in FIFA15, kicked a goal where the ball spun a lot, watched the replay and it looked like there was a shimmering cloud around the ball - it was awful. Turned that off and now I can barely see pixelation. Ditto with HD sports. It's not perfect with the pixelation but it's pretty close to non-visible.

Bizarelly, everything else looks better after I turned that off too. Like even standard definition TV looks better. Not sure if placebo effect or it actually made a difference.

Anyway, I think I'm happy. Only had about an hour to test it out.

The clouding on mine is awful but if you can deal with that (how often are you looking at a full black screen?) then it's a pretty good TV. 120 Hz allows for some pixelation but it's bareable. In Australia, you could get this HD 75" or the UHD 65" for the same price. Might be something worth looking at for you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are OCD and used to plasma uniformity you may be upset when you move to an LCD, especially a large one.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah that's basically a fair summary. Like it's much worse than you would "reasonably expect" from a product this expensive.

But if you're just a normal person who wants to do normal stuff on their TV, you can get over it. It's not visible 99% of the time. I can sort of see it in the black bars when I watch a Blu Ray but I have to look for it; if I just watched the movie I wouldn't notice it. My partner doesn't notice it unless I point it out. Fully black screens (like disclaimers or legalities) make it very noticeable, but will this impact your enjoyment of the film?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Some samsung LCD's offer a cinema black option as well which can dim the black bars in movies, may want to see if the level you are buying offers that. I find light bleed and flashlighting terribly distracting.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Any reason not to get a Samsung UE32H4000 for my mother? She's oblivious to anything to do with sound or picture quality so ease of use is the only real consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I picked up the Sony w950b on Saturday as an open box for around 1240. Love everything about it but the flashlight effect on the right side of the screen. I notice it more than I should. I will get a picture of it because it seems like half the screen is brighter than the other.

Besides that the the picture and color is beautiful.