Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The problem is that this is WWE so they'll be really infrequent at first and it won't be a big deal, so they'll assume that means everyone loves ads and run them constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

If the ads on VOD stuff are only before the program, I'm okay with this. What I don't want is ads inserted every 20 minutes in a 3 hour PPV. That'd be crushing.

Well it literally says just before the programming, and only occasional, so rest easy on that front.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'd be fine with WWE Network adding ads if that also meant they started getting added to reward sites like Hulu does.

I don't think I've paid for Hulu Plus in two years thanks to Bing Rewards.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the most annoying thing they could do is interrupt matches for ads and they still do that on main event and poo poo. i doubt they will ever do this on a ppv.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There's already usually 4-6 minutes of ads on every PPV anyway, and if you didn't see this coming then you're quite a naive consumer.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wonder what (if anything) this says for Network subscription numbers. Shouldn't we be getting another number announced fairly soon?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Johanns Molemann posted:

the most annoying thing they could do is interrupt matches for ads and they still do that on main event and poo poo. i doubt they will ever do this on a ppv.

I never understood why on the Pre Show before a PPV, they will cut away from the match to either show an ad for the Network or the PPV you are about to watch. Why would they do this?!?

Nothing can be as bad as Hulu ads where within a 22 minute show I see the same drat commercial 9 times.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Daniel Bryan posted:

I won't mind ads between shows on the live stream. What I will mind is pre-rolls before VOD. That's what may piss me off to the point of canceling. I'd rather they'd jack the price up a couple bucks and not do this.

Can I ask why? I don't get this at all. A minute long ad before a 3 hour VOD pisses you off that much?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I never understood why on the Pre Show before a PPV, they will cut away from the match to either show an ad for the Network or the PPV you are about to watch. Why would they do this?!?

Nothing can be as bad as Hulu ads where within a 22 minute show I see the same drat commercial 9 times.

Because the pre-shows air places other than on the Network. How many times are people going to ask this and have it answered?

TL posted:

Can I ask why? I don't get this at all. A minute long ad before a 3 hour VOD pisses you off that much?

This is what I don't get too. If it got Hulu level bad, I'd totally understand. But unless it becomes VASTLY different from the written description, there's no way it'll end up that bad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't have a problem with the terms as they're stated in the initial e-mail. My problem is that this company has a horrible, horrible track record of looking at things completely out of context and I fully expect them to view the relative lack of issue with minimal ads as a blanket "don't really mind ads" policy and expand the ads from there.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

And best case scenario, if this allows them to turn the Network in to something more profitable and improve the rate at which archival videos are added, I'm 100% on board.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't have a problem with the terms as they're stated in the initial e-mail. My problem is that this company has a horrible, horrible track record of looking at things completely out of context and I fully expect them to view the relative lack of issue with minimal ads as a blanket "don't really mind ads" policy and expand the ads from there.

This is a fair point, but I'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it. Until then, I'm not gonna froth at the mouth about it, personally.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Honestly, a couple ads as filler between shows doesn't bother me at all considering they fill downtime with the same two or three short segments right now anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So they're gonna add ads.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ad News Barrett.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
What this says about the Network number: It's probably bad.

Things I take from it:

- Everyone who signed up and got Wrestlemania 30 has gone through a 6 month commitment by this point. Every one of those 667k people could have canceled. Not that they did, but they could have. The cancellation number could be huge.

- Summerslam did not create the boost they wanted. Lesnar destroying Cena meant for a small boost, not enough though.

- International subscriptions did not take off like they had hoped.

- Lesnar costs them a ton of money per appearance, and they have to make up for it somehow.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oldpainless posted:

Ad News Barrett.

All of the ads between shows should be '50s-style sponsorships. Like we cut to Barrett in a studio

"Wow, that was a great match. You know, when I deliver bad news it can give me a real headache sometimes. Thankfully, I always carry a bottle of Advil with me just in case.

Advil: I'm afraid I have some bad news for headaches."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The network is still worth it to me for the PPVs alone, even with ads...

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
poo poo the wwe is doing bad, push the bunny and gunge! They luvvit MAGGLE wadaya talgein aboud tas as werf nain niandeh nain!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
My sub from the day of Wrestlemania ran out, and I was just going to re-sub before Hell in a Cell. With this though, and the HIAC card so awful, I might hold out for a good PPV or the Rumble, whichever comes first.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Blast Fantasto posted:

All of the ads between shows should be '50s-style sponsorships. Like we cut to Barrett in a studio

"Wow, that was a great match. You know, when I deliver bad news it can give me a real headache sometimes. Thankfully, I always carry a bottle of Advil with me just in case.

Advil: I'm afraid I have some bad news for headaches."

"I'm afraid you've got some... BAD KNEES. Give them the support they need with Dr. Scholls padded insoles!"

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Daniel Bryan posted:

A lot of countries still don't actually have it available, and in those that do it seems poorly advertised. All the focus is on $9.99, which isn't of much relevance to people living in countries that use Euros, Pounds, Yen, Gil, Bison dollars or whatever else. It probably will have a big increase in subscriptions once it rolls out over Europe fully, including the UK where it's still nowhere to be seen.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is an incredibly dumb idea and will not bring in significant money.

I wonder if the fact that it's an audience of paying customers means they will get paid regular ad rates instead of instead of wrestling rates.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

pressedbunny posted:

A lot of countries still don't actually have it available, and in those that do it seems poorly advertised. All the focus is on $9.99, which isn't of much relevance to people living in countries that use Euros, Pounds, Yen, Gil, Bison dollars or whatever else. It probably will have a big increase in subscriptions once it rolls out over Europe fully, including the UK where it's still nowhere to be seen.

You're overstating the realistic importance of foreign markets. They're not going to give the network a big boost.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Johanns Molemann posted:

i'm 30 i cant join the army!

Yes you can.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so you are telling me i can still be a general, huh

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I don't have any issue with the ads if it means more programs getting uploaded and apps getting updated.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

ChampRamp posted:

You're overstating the realistic importance of foreign markets. They're not going to give the network a big boost.
Across most modern mediums—music, movies, video games and TV—the combined countries of Europe generate more money than any other region. Asia is collectively not far behind (ahad in a couple of instances) and Oceania and South America aren't actually that far off North America, in many cases. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the combined profits from the rest of the planet would not outweigh the money generated in North America only. The notion that North America is the most important region for any truly international business is unfounded and very inaccurate in virtually all cases.

... Again, at least if they actually manage to roll it out everywhere in reasonable fashion and make any kind of attempt to advertise it. If it's a half-arsed, month-delayed Smackdown recap and PPVs aren't included or they run on a delay with adverts then gently caress it, it becomes worthless.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't have any issue with the ads if it means more programs getting uploaded and apps getting updated.

hahahaha

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

pressedbunny posted:

Across most modern mediums—music, movies, video games and TV—the combined countries of Europe generate more money than any other region. Asia is collectively not far behind (ahad in a couple of instances) and Oceania and South America aren't actually that far off North America, in many cases. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the combined profits from the rest of the planet would not outweigh the money generated in North America only. The notion that North America is the most important region for any truly international business is unfounded and very inaccurate in virtually all cases.

... Again, at least if they actually manage to roll it out everywhere in reasonable fashion and make any kind of attempt to advertise it. If it's a half-arsed, month-delayed Smackdown recap and PPVs aren't included or they run on a delay with adverts then gently caress it, it becomes worthless.

They should put Raw on the network in the US then. They can make it with those big overseas deals. Overseas stuff really is a fraction of NA stuff wrt WWE.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ads in paid services make me irrationally angry.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So is the network still unavailable to the half of Canada that doesn't have Rogers cable and a lovely watered down version for people on Rogers or have they come to their senses yet?

I'd love to go back and watch a bunch of old PPVs, but every time I look into the network in Canada it seems to be a gigantic clusterfuck. I want to give them money if they'll let me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm going back to Crunchyroll.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pressedbunny posted:

For the longest time, the argument was that everyone that wants the network in overseas markets already has it and is viewing with proxies, so they won't actually gain any new subs. The fake US ones will cancel, and the new overseas ones will subscribe.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

coconono posted:

ads in paid services make me irrationally angry.

Same.

You can't escape Capitalism!

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

ChampRamp posted:

They should put Raw on the network in the US then. They can make it with those big overseas deals. Overseas stuff really is a fraction of NA stuff wrt WWE.
I realise you're being purposefully flippant, but that's really not the point regardless. Of course the US market is in no way irrelevant, but to treat the rest of the world as irrelevant would be and is an even bigger error.

Astro7x posted:

For the longest time, the argument was that everyone that wants the network in overseas markets already has it and is viewing with proxies, so they won't actually gain any new subs. The fake US ones will cancel, and the new overseas ones will subscribe.
This may well be true. Hell, it is for me; I watch via VPN and if it launched here in its full US form at a price not too heavily inflated, I'd switch to using a local account. However, even in that case, they'd likely see a rise in profits as other countries are charged more than the equivalent of $9.99. Even in bizarro world where exactly the same number of peopel switched form watching via proxy to watching locally and nobody new subscribed, they would still then be fleecing those people for more money than they currently get.

Again, I'm not saying that a proper world-wide roll-out would fix all their problems, just that to act like there is only one region on the whole planet that matters is ridiculous and there certainly is more money to be made out there, if they got their act together and put out a good product within a reasonable time frame and without problems.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

BGrifter posted:

So is the network still unavailable to the half of Canada that doesn't have Rogers cable and a lovely watered down version for people on Rogers or have they come to their senses yet?
Rogers is paying them a lot of money and the Network is allegedly doing pretty well.

They are very likely negotiating something similar for the UK.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Rogers is paying them a lot of money and the Network is allegedly doing pretty well.

They are very likely negotiating something similar for the UK.

So the 80% of Canadians using other cable providers are pretty much hosed? Great. Rogers doesn't even offer cable services west of Ontario.

What a brilliant idea, turn the Network into an even shittier more annoying HBO.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm paying $12.50 for the network here in Denmark because of VAT on top of the $9.99 but the dollar is still pretty devalued compared to the euro (which the danish currency is pegged to even though we don't actually use it) so still ends up being cheap.

It would be really nice if WWE would actually put RAW and Smackdown on the network right away over here, since it literally isn't on TV at all, but I guess that would mean implementing some sort of advanced geoblocking system and sounds an awful lot like extra work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

What this says about the Network number: It's probably bad.

Things I take from it:

- Everyone who signed up and got Wrestlemania 30 has gone through a 6 month commitment by this point. Every one of those 667k people could have canceled. Not that they did, but they could have. The cancellation number could be huge.

- Summerslam did not create the boost they wanted. Lesnar destroying Cena meant for a small boost, not enough though.

- Lesnar costs them a ton of money per appearance, and they have to make up for it somehow.

I'd be surprised if it's good. I mean, I've dropped mine (for now, will renew by Rumble at the latest), and I know I'm not alone on here. If there's been a fair bit of dropped subs on PSP, imagine what the retention rate is for more casual fans.