Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Didn't the Donkey Kong Country games get taken down from the Wii VC a while ago?
It's weird they are putting them back up again.

Maybe they took them down because they were planning/anticipating this promotion and wanted to make them feel like fresh releases, instead of "hey, now you can buy these games that are already available on your Wii U via the Wii VC on the Wii U VC too" which is a bit of a harder sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think this sale was 2 years in the making.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Come to think of it, if they're still down on the Wii VC, will the Wii U upgrade discount still apply? It should, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't anticipate this particular scenario and it breaks something.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 13, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think on the technical end, their listings have just been removed. They still have entries in the backend, allowing them to be redownloaded by purchasers. That should be enough to confirm "yes this user owns this game" for the discount.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I may have gotten the very last of the Animal Crossing posters off the Club Nintendo rewards...I ordered one last night and now its in the unavailable list. Sorry if anyone was eyeing those!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the Donkey Kong land games were good. It was the DKC ports that were really bad.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

greatn posted:

I thought the Donkey Kong land games were good. It was the DKC ports that were really bad.

Are you referring to the GBA ports or that bad GBC port of the first game?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Are you referring to the GBA ports or that bad GBC port of the first game?

The GBC one. Don't know how the GBA ones are but I imagine they suffer at least a little from the smaller resolution, especially on any stage where you move vertically.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I know people might think the DKC poo poo got taken off due to licensing or whatever but that's what we thought about Earthbound's soundtrack and apparently that wasn't even the case? What I'm saying is nothing makes sense but I'm very glad we can finally play these again.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

MinibarMatchman posted:

I know people might think the DKC poo poo got taken off due to licensing or whatever but that's what we thought about Earthbound's soundtrack and apparently that wasn't even the case? What I'm saying is nothing makes sense but I'm very glad we can finally play these again.

There must have been a reason for them being taken down, but nintendo didn't offer any sort of explanation. Then, like with earthbound, someone offered a plausible explanation and it was taken as God.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Didn't the Donkey Kong Country games get taken down from the Wii VC a while ago?
It's weird they are putting them back up again.
Why do I have the feeling that they won't bother putting them back up for the original Wii?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Nintendo took down the Donkey Kong Country games because Shigeru Miyamoto saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes and it frightened him. It changed him.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Earthbound licensing issues things was great, because it was a better explanation than the real reason it wasn't released, which was, 'no one at Nintendo cared'.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Well, I can't say I was expecting the DKC trilogy to show up on the Wii U's Virtual Console any time soon (or at all after they got taken down from the Wii's). I still have the first two on the Wii, I think, but I'll probably end up rebuying all of them anyway. I'll definitely be rebuying the second one regardless since it's my all-time favorite game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm going to destroy Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA is getting Harmony of Dissonace/Aria of Sorrow this week so you still win.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This might be worth a look:

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem

Someone was digging around Nintendo's URLs and found this URL: a work-in-progress version of their web eShop portal, and people are reporting that it's already operational in certain countries - if you drop a download code for a Wii U game into the form it'll automatically download on your console.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Someone was digging around Nintendo's URLs and found this URL: a work-in-progress version of their web eShop portal, and people are reporting that it's already operational in certain countries - if you drop a download code for a Wii U game into the form it'll automatically download on your console.

:swoon: Soon I can buy games at work and have them ready for me when I get home instead of watching progress bars like a CHUMP.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Now if I can buy a game that hasn't been released yet, it either downloads automatically at midnight or downloads now and unlocks for play at midnight on release, that would be perfect.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
No new NA Club Nintendo rewards yet?

Also, I'm 15 pts from platinum. Sooooo closeeeee.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

They really should put all the Lolo games out on VC. Even the confusing labyrinth games they held onto in Japan. I'm still waiting for Lolo 3.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

You have to be logged into the NNID linked to your Wii U for this to work, but I can confirm this works. I grabbed Kirby's Dream Course from Club Nintendo and dropped the eshop code on here. That was a little while ago, and I just turned on my Wii U and it was installed just fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New Club Nintendo rewards

Wrecking Crew and Kirby Dream Course on Wii U

Zoda's Revenge and Maboshi's Arcade for Wii

Kersploosh, 3D Classics Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong '94 and Brain Age Express Math for 3DS

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

New Club Nintendo rewards

Wrecking Crew and Kirby Dream Course on Wii U

Zoda's Revenge and Maboshi's Arcade for Wii

Kersploosh, 3D Classics Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong and Brain Age Express Math for 3DS

Some people are reporting the 'Donkey Kong' on there is actually the far superior Donkey Kong 94.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I just checked the Club Nintendo site, and yeah, they put the wrong picture of Donkey Kong up. It is the Game Boy '94 game, not the NES port of the arcade game. If you don't have it, get at it folks!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

13/f/cali posted:

You have to be logged into the NNID linked to your Wii U for this to work, but I can confirm this works. I grabbed Kirby's Dream Course from Club Nintendo and dropped the eshop code on here. That was a little while ago, and I just turned on my Wii U and it was installed just fine.
Error Code904-1404

This website is currently unavailable in your region.

Nintendo :doom:

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

codenameFANGIO posted:

The Earthbound licensing issues things was great, because it was a better explanation than the real reason it wasn't released, which was, 'no one at Nintendo cared'.

Woah woah woah! Are you serious? After all those years, the fans constant push and commitment to the creation of a massive petition including sending CD's of fan music, artwork and letters to the original creators plus Nintendo not to mention Reggie actually saying he is aware of the request for digital releases and Mother 3 being fan-translated they just couldn't be bothered?

Can we just go back to pretending it was a music licencing issue?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Haha, you think NoA actually has the ability to decide anything that happens.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The circumstances that led to the release are so bizarre too. The earthbound guy mentioned that he had a meeting with iwata on Twitter. Someone replied and asked him to ask about EB on the VC, and he said he'd bring it up. Shortly after the game gets announced for NA. After all the conspiracy theory bullshit, from the music to people thinking NOA just wants to spite the game's fans, it was kind of funny to see how it all played out in the end.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ronnie posted:

Can we just go back to pretending it was a music licencing issue?

No, because they didn't change any music for the digital release of Earthbound :unsmigghh:

So hey, as a guy who likes Kirby games and Mario Golf games is Kirby's Dream Course worth my sweet Club Nintendo coins?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Kirby's Dream Course owns

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

No, because they didn't change any music for the digital release of Earthbound :unsmigghh:

I'm not in any way saying that's what happened, but that's not valid reasoning -- music licensing problems can be resolved in two ways - sure, you can remove the offending music but you can also work with the rights holders and set up a deal.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ok, then. You can lie to yourself with a slight basis in reality, Ronnie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone at Nintendo (Trinen?) was asked about the music rights thing after the VC release and they were all "uhh, no, I don't think so?" and I tend to think they were being sincere.

Anyway, Maboshi's Arcade is a weird, simple game(s) and I like that there's an option to download a version onto your 3/DS for no particular reason.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Also works for the 3DS too.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Silver95280 posted:

Also works for the 3DS too.

:vince:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd like to remind people that #lolo is officially the new #yolo https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/467099616165777408

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sneaky. Maybe they'll have a proper account system backing your purchases, too, sometime.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Someone at Nintendo (Trinen?) was asked about the music rights thing after the VC release and they were all "uhh, no, I don't think so?" and I tend to think they were being sincere.

Anyway, Maboshi's Arcade is a weird, simple game(s) and I like that there's an option to download a version onto your 3/DS for no particular reason.

How does the download to 3DS work? I just got it but I don't see a menu option for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd like to remind people that #lolo is officially the new #yolo https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/467099616165777408
Nintendo is really really good at twitter, I love it.

Chronojam posted:

Sneaky. Maybe they'll have a proper account system backing your purchases, too, sometime.
They already have one, how do you think that website works?