Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LightWarden posted:

You can only take Resilience once, putting you at 3/6 proficiencies (4/6 if you have a class that gives you a bonus proficiency, or 6/6 if you're a level 14 monk). Hope you like making tough choices.

That's not so bad - someone made a list of all the saves that were used and the vast majority of them were Dex, Con and Wis. Just means occasionally you're going to come across one of the three saves that hardly come up and get screwed over, and it means the monsters that use those rare saves are going to be that much more unexpectedly deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Fort/Ref/Will being target numbers instead of rolled makes the mechanics more consistent and speeds up play (you know, that thing 5e was supposed to be good at). Every time one of the spellcasters in my
group casts anything they have to ask "Wait, is this the one where I roll, or you roll?"

I also sorely miss the 4e thing where you would use the higher of two different stats for each defense. It gave you a lot more freedom to make your character how you wanted without gimping yourself horribly. Now it's honestly worse than in 3.x because the game pretends all the stats are just as important and then makes 90% of the spells save against Con/Dex/Wis anyway.* At least 3.x warned you those stats were more important.

*Someone made a table forever ago of how many spells used each different save. Does anyone still have that?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Gort posted:

That's not so bad - someone made a list of all the saves that were used and the vast majority of them were Dex, Con and Wis. Just means occasionally you're going to come across one of the three saves that hardly come up and get screwed over, and it means the monsters that use those rare saves are going to be that much more unexpectedly deadly.

Problem is that of the classes in the PHB, only the rogue even gets close to having the ability to get all three primary saves by taking Resilient (start with Dex, get Resilient for Con, then Slippery Mind at level 15 for Wis). They deliberately made it so each class had one primary save and one secondary save proficiency, and you can't pick up proficiency in other saves through multiclassing (unless you're taking 14 or 15 levels in Monk or Rogue for those features). Only the Monk's proficiency in all saves at level 14 is different. If you're anyone else, you will have two holes in your defense from the very start, and you will still have problems one of those three primary saves even after you take Resilient once.

polisurgist posted:

Literally none of the feat descriptions aside from Resilience, of course.

My bad, it turns out that there is actually one feat with the wording that says that you can take it more than once- Elemental Adept. Resilient is not one of those feats though. This may be unintentional, or it may very well be by design.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It sort of feels like they were going with Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses up until they switched to "every attribute is a save" at the last minute and threw in a smattering of saves from the other stats, but didn't have the time or inclination to do more than that.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Fun fact about the ID: after it stuns someone it can't detect them anymore outside its 60ft blindsight. It's also got lovely strength, which governs how good it is vs getting grappled or shoved. It's also tiny sized, small enough to stuff into a locker bag. Which blocks line of sight.

Also just spitballing, but if it can magically consume a brain and teleport inside the cranium, it might be able to magically regurgitate a brain or points of intelligence. The thing has telepathy so it can be communicated with. Imagine the tense hostage negotiation that could happen.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

polisurgist posted:

Literally none of the feat descriptions aside from Resilience, of course.

Wow, I thought it didn't. I guess I was wro...

PHB, page 168 posted:

Resilient
Choose one ability score. You gain the following benefits:
* In crease the chosen ability score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
* You gain proficiency in saving throws using the chosen ability.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

Fun fact about the ID: after it stuns someone it can't detect them anymore outside its 60ft blindsight.

Oh so the stunned character can just run and hide then!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

slydingdoor posted:

Also just spitballing, but if it can magically consume a brain and teleport inside the cranium, it might be able to magically regurgitate a brain or points of intelligence. The thing has telepathy so it can be communicated with. Imagine the tense hostage negotiation that could happen.

It would be good to have SOME feasible way of getting your brain-sucked companions back when you encounter the thing at level 2.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Your friends could move it and/or you. If you had any.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Wow, I thought it didn't. I guess I was wro...

Perhaps you've forgotten about a little thing called Rule 0. :smaug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does the brain-eating even require a grapple? I thought it was a spell-like effect, so it gets to ignore plebeian concerns like game balance or common sense.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Perhaps you've forgotten about a little thing called Rule 0. :smaug:

No, but the errata'd text will surely read "just do whatever", so he's right.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Really Pants posted:

Does the brain-eating even require a grapple? I thought it was a spell-like effect, so it gets to ignore plebeian concerns like common sense.

No, the Intellect Devourer's version is just an Intelligence contest against an incapacitated target. While normally that requires the Intellect devourer to set up by draining your Int first, anything that stuns, paralyzes, petrifies or knocks you out can set you up for some brain chomping, such as the Mind Flayer's own Mind Blast (cone of DC 15 Int save or psychic damage + stun) or Tentacles (on a hit, you're grappled and need to make a DC 15 Int save or be stunned for the duration of the grapple). If the mind flayer is grappling an incapacitated creature then it can do 10d10 piercing damage and eat your brain.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Well, they could always raise you as a skeleton.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

ritorix posted:

Well, they could always raise you as a skeleton.

Why not just recruit the new brain eating fighter? Monster PC!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cainer posted:

Would he need to keep eating brains to survive?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

mango sentinel posted:

If you cast Faerie Fire as a third level spell into a Darkness, what happens? Can I see Detect Magic auras through Darkness?
Here's the two descriptions, with relevant parts bolded and unrelated bits taken out:

Darkness posted:

Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose
within range to fill a 15-foot-radius sphere for the
duration. The darkness spreads around corners [...]
and nonmagical light can’t illuminate it.
[...]
If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light
created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that
created the light is dispelled.

Faerie Fire posted:

Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in
blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in
the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if
it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects
and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius
[...]

This leaves, to me at least, the following decision tree:

• Is FF a spell that falls under the "area of light" category of spells?
  • If so, Darkness (level 2) would overturn FF (level 1)
    • However, would Darkness overlapping a single object affected by FF dispel the entire FF spell (and thus all objects that were lit) as per the text saying the entire spell is dispelled, or only dispel the item that overlaps?
    • What if FF were cast with a higher level slot? There is no advancement in its effects if it were cast with, say, a 4th level slot, so in a way it is purely a 1st level spell effect that does not scale compared to other spells that do, but would that protect it from being dispelled by Darkness cast w/ a 2nd level slot?
  • If not, it seems reasonable that FF would count as magical light and thus would remain illuminated through Darkness
    • If that's the case, what if FF were cast in an area already affected by darkness? RAW seems to suggest it would still go off if we're interpreting it this way, but at the same time that is the moment when FF is most like an "area of light" effect. Would that be an exception and the spell would fail or would it push through as normal?

From my own interpretation the ruling would be: No, FF is not overwritten, and yes, casting FF inside of darkness would still work. But I can easily see others interpreting it differently, depending on what areas of what descriptions they put more weight on.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bhaal posted:

From my own interpretation the ruling would be: No, FF is not overwritten, and yes, casting FF inside of darkness would still work. But I can easily see others interpreting it differently, depending on what areas of what descriptions they put more weight on.

How are you getting that ruling, exactly? Is it because you're not interpreting Faerie Fire as creating an area of light? Is the same thing true of Light? Why or why not?

Also, this part of your thinking is really weird:

Bhaal posted:

[list][*]However, would Darkness overlapping a single object affected by FF dispel the entire FF spell (and thus all objects that were lit) as per the text saying the entire spell is dispelled, or only dispel the item that overlaps?

Why is that a question? Surely it would do what it says in the text?

Edit: I can't find any rules text that explains whether or not a spell cast with a higher level slot "counts as" the original spell level or the level of the expended slot. Does anyone know where it is?

e2: I found it. Right where it should have been.

PHB, page 201 posted:

When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into.

Seems pretty clear cut. A 4th level casting of Faerie Fire is a 4th level spell.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Would he need to keep eating brains to survive?

Well I'm not saying there won't be a couple changes to your lifestyle depending on party alignments but what with bandits seeming to grow on trees with how many of them there are out there. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

polisurgist posted:

I'd hesitate to say that it's because magic items will make up for it. "You won't need magic items at all" isn't the marketing claim for this game, it's "you wont need magic items just to keep up." Magic items are a bonus that's good to have, but not a requirement and not something intrinsic to your character.

How many monsters will you be doing half damage to without a magic weapon, exactly? If anyone's done some analysis of that I'd be interested to see it, since I'm betting it's "a lot".

30.5 Days posted:

So in 4E it wasn't tied to dex, and most defender classes had some fun abilities that buffed their AOO's into track-stopper territory. Having even more AOO's contributed to slowing down combat, though, so I'm going to take one step closer to my eventual fanboyism ban and say that Strike! fixes the problem by just having AOO's do flat damage with no roll + whatever goodies. The result is really fast without punishing the classes whose job it is to issue AOO's.

EDIT: Also Strike!'s Team Conflict is way better than any iteration of Skill Challenges could ever hope to be hth.

Strike doesn't actually exist, though.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Cainer posted:

In my friend's game, there are two ways to get xp - getting treasure, and eating brains.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
As much as I agree that the whole brain eating business is way out of line, I do like that it makes coming up with a story related way of solving the problem enticing for players. For example, making your brain taste like literal poo poo with an alchemical concoction, which will have all sorts of nasty effects on the one who tries to take a sip.

It's a shame none of the books so far really covers that kind of thing. I don't believe there's anything about severing limbs, save for the Troll's specific entry. You would think Beholder would lose something for cutting off it's eyestalks, for example, but there are several monsters with multi-attacks that could be hampered with a severed hand or such limb (then again, maybe that out right kills them anyways). I guess the DM book could house such things.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Talmonis posted:

The loss of the attack of opportunity is probably the biggest issue I have with 5th edition. I'd be fine with spellcasting not provoking one (as Mage Slayer allows you to do so), or standing up, etc. But moving out of your melee range should always provoke, and it shouldn't cost your reaction. This is likely the first thing I'll be houseruling when our current campaign ends and I run my game.

Limiting it by your dexterity of course.

I have always thought that attacks of opportunity were the worst idea to come out of 3e (or more accurately 2e Combat & Tactics). They slow down and interrupt combat, make peoples' turns take longer than necessary, and in both 3e and 4e were the most difficult concept to get new players to understand. I am disappointed that Mearls retained attacks of opportunity in any form, rather than devising an alternative mechanic that fulfilled the same role. I think a case could probably be made that AoOs give people a reason to pay attention when it is not their turn, but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons. I'd prefer to see some sort of damage penalty that did not involve extra attack and damage rolls, like a "penalty damage" or something that just gets automatically assigned when provoked.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lothire posted:

As much as I agree that the whole brain eating business is way out of line, I do like that it makes coming up with a story related way of solving the problem enticing for players. For example, making your brain taste like literal poo poo with an alchemical concoction, which will have all sorts of nasty effects on the one who tries to take a sip.

It's a shame none of the books so far really covers that kind of thing. I don't believe there's anything about severing limbs, save for the Troll's specific entry. You would think Beholder would lose something for cutting off it's eyestalks, for example, but there are several monsters with multi-attacks that could be hampered with a severed hand or such limb (then again, maybe that out right kills them anyways). I guess the DM book could house such things.

A Wound system for HP, where at certain HP thresholds you can chose different ways of hampering enemies, would be really interesting. Especially if you build off of it into additional features for classes like fighters, who at a certain level become such combat experts they can wound on any strike.

Heck, wound systems, Basic style weapon specializations, being the most physically and mentally sound of any party member. Its so easy to make fighters the Best At Fighting even if you don't want a 4E style power system.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Generic Octopus posted:

I've read it pretty thoroughly, and my conclusion was that the fighter doesn't get very much that's useful in this ed. I was curious why you thought different. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I love this edition far more than the preceding one for many reasons, but I do think they failed to make the fighter-as-written interesting or badass enough. It's pretty weird, because I don't think adding more stickiness or tank would be incompatible with any design goals. I guess they wanted more of an offensive melee guy than a really effective tank. Maybe it was too hard to get the fighter to tank well while retaining compatibility with the Theatre Of The Mind stuff?

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

polisurgist posted:

I love that the sketchy encounter-building guidelines from the Basic DM's rules is "broken out of the box" and yet you can't fairly judge 4th unless you have extensive experience playing the game after the third monster book. Also, the second DM's book and the mid-edition rules overhaul if you don't like boring skill challenges or needlessly complex classes.

Christ, none of this poo poo was ever perfect.

I assume that with any edition you are going to rewrite or house rule a goodly percentage of stuff. Even the best, most perfectly compatible-with-your-playerstyle system in the universe is going to get house rules and errata. It seems clear that the encounter building system is one of this system's weak spots. But it's not like 4e didn't have weak spots out of the box, like the initial way skill challenges were presented. And later the presence of such voluminous errata is in and of itself a serious con. That doesn't vindicate the sub-par encounter building system of the present edition, but I think building encounters is one of the areas where "gut feeling" is most necessary. Mike Mearls doesn't know how well your players work together or optimize their characters, and he cannot predict whether your monsters aim for unconscious players or focus fire, either. Plus, it is clear to me that only reason 4e's encounters were so predictable was because that game's internal math was dry as a bone.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

friendlyfire posted:

Maybe it was too hard to get the fighter to tank well while retaining compatibility with the Theatre Of The Mind stuff?
It isn't compatible with theatre of the mind stuff unless you see a 5ft grid when you close your eyes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

friendlyfire posted:

Plus, it is clear to me that only reason 4e's encounters were so predictable was because that game's internal math was dry as a bone.

Well I don't like this edition's soggy math.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

polisurgist posted:

I love that the sketchy encounter-building guidelines from the Basic DM's rules is "broken out of the box" and yet you can't fairly judge 4th unless you have extensive experience playing the game after the third monster book. Also, the second DM's book and the mid-edition rules overhaul if you don't like boring skill challenges or needlessly complex classes.

Christ, none of this poo poo was ever perfect.

There's a bit of a difference between "who the gently caress knows how hard this encounter even is" and "fights take too long". The other issue is that 5th edition isn't comparing to 4th edition at launch, it's comparing to 4th edition as it exists right now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

friendlyfire posted:

Plus, it is clear to me that only reason 4e's encounters were so predictable was because that game's internal math was dry as a bone.

What does this even mean?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Well he's right, the fact that the game is balanced means that the DM can predict how the encounters will play out.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Really Pants posted:

He means that when you make a normal encounter in 4e using the rules it won't just completely wipe the party in 1-3 turns because the monsters won initiative.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

friendlyfire posted:

It's pretty weird, because I don't think adding more stickiness or tank would be incompatible with any design goals. I guess they wanted more of an offensive melee guy than a really effective tank. Maybe it was too hard to get the fighter to tank well while retaining compatibility with the Theatre Of The Mind stuff?
Tankiness is no more ToTM-unfriendly than the Rogue's Cunning Action or the radius of a Fireball spell.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Rannos22 posted:

He means that when you make a normal encounter in 4e using the rules it won't just completely wipe the party in 1-3 turns because the monsters won initiative.

That isn't what I mean. I don't think my remark requires clarification.

AlphaDog posted:

Well I don't like this edition's soggy math.

It makes for play that interests me more. I'm not going to play this edition unless I really have to but I think that the consistently predicable damage outputs in 4e made for a bland playing field. I like things being [i]a little/i] swingy, and I have no problems trusting my own intuition, so a flawed encounter design system doesn't turn me off. I never bothered using the encounter design systems of previous editions, and didn't have any problems.

friendlyfire fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mecha Gojira posted:

We're only level 4. We're about to hit level 5. I don't know about our casters, but I know my paladin will both be picking up his second level spell slot AND an additional attack per round. I just don't feel like 5e solved the play speed issue, but instead we've been playing at such low level for so long that we forgot what it was like to have so many options.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. Sure, 4e combat was a slog by the end. But that was when we were level 30. I don't think it was a slog at level 1, by any means. So all these people coming back from playing 5e praising the speed of the combat at levels 1-3 just seems like so much noise. If the combat STAYS fast, that's an accomplishment. This, I think, is one where we'll have to wait and see. To see how fast combat is at high levels in 5e as played by experienced players, we have to wait for there to be some experienced players playing at high levels.

RPZip posted:

Strike doesn't actually exist, though.
It's coming. Eventually. I've just got more work this term than usual. Anyway, the thing I'm working on for Strike now is the very thing that is getting bitched about in this thread: rules for encounter-building and monster creation and giving DMs the tools to judge monster and encounter difficulty. I want to get it right, but that takes a lot of time and since I'm busy that means it's taking a while. If I don't get it figured out, we'll just have people asking me what the hell I was thinking when I said that the were-pigeons were appropriate for level 2.

Anyway, the game is totally playable in the meantime, and I'd love to see more people playing it. If anyone wants to play with the character creation stuff that's missing from the preview all they gotta do is PM me and ask.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

friendlyfire posted:

That isn't what I mean. I don't think my remark requires clarification.

No it does, please tell us all about hot wet Next math.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It should the the players, not the dice or the encounter YOU designed, that surprise you.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

D&D Next: Now with better, wetter math.

e: D&D Next: Moister math and softer rules!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm just trying to imagine how dice and arithmetic would ever not be pretty goddamn dry. If you make it all swingier with better chances to gently caress people over then it's still dry, and also aggravating.

Unless you can somehow remove the numbers completely, maybe replace the dice with a set of those awkward couple's sex-game dice or something. We know that four skeletons can replace the Fighter, but how about SPANK skeletons vs. a Fighter who can do COUCH NIPPLES damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
There's not some magical poo poo that happens when you have swingy combat math. All that you get is unpredictable results - which, as a DM, is generally bad. People think the mark of a good DM is the ability to improvise. It is certainly an important part of DMing. However, the point of a system is to allow you to improvise meaningfully, not to force you to improvise.

When the black dragon suddenly rolls all 6's on it's breath weapon and slams the party fighter into -30 HP instead of just burning him to 50% HP, that's not good. Yeah, it's "interesting" ... for everyone except the DM and the guy who gets to sit this fight out. Now the DM has to scramble to adjust the encounter for a party of 3. How is that good? How is that 'wetness' useful?

A good system encourages you to make things interesting by showing you exactly what effect it will have. I want to know that adding a Troll to my level 5 encounter is going to make it around 30-40% tougher - not that it might do anything from effecting no change to suddenly turning the encounter into a guaranteed TPK.