Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
stormtroopers be troops that's all i ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Direwolf posted:

I loooooove this model and I really like how he turned out, and I just wish there was any use for him at all in my Deathwing.

I'd play with him rather than Belial in a heartbeat, but I don't have enough points to run 2 HQ and have it make sense.

It's really sad how little use chaplains have generally given that they're the best space marine models.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

-SA stormtroopers

Well there's an unfortunate name.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's really sad how little use chaplains have generally given that they're the best space marine models.

What bothers me most is you have take the dumb crozius. No sir I do not want to take an AP4 weapon especially when I have a 3+/4++ save. An axe or fist would be so much better.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LingcodKilla posted:

What bothers me most is you have take the dumb crozius. No sir I do not want to take an AP4 weapon especially when I have a 3+/4++ save. An axe or fist would be so much better.

ivanus enkomi :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

It's not AP2, but Dark Angels can take the Mace of Redemption. :black101:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Talking to someone with the Dark Eldar Codex.

No using Dodge against Overwatch.

quote:

1 unit can get 9 attacks per model and 10 guys in it...all possibly T6 and all FNP 4+ and have the Instant Death on a 6
the Court though - no longer has a minimum : 0-12 models, any mix you choose
Splinter Cannons switched to Salvo (expected)
everywhere that a Dark Lance was default is now Disintegrator by default and have to pay 5 pts to get the Lance
a chock tonne of leadership shenanigans, only marines are immune to it

Grotesques:
3 base, CCWs, Rage
Turn 6 PFP bonus or roll on it in a Supplement formation
Rampage bonus for being outnumbered
Poisoned 4+, ID on 6's

Supposedly, there's a glitch in the Court Of the Archon where you can take just the Court? And he confirms that it's HQ units that get the portal and what it does.

Maybe this is all old news, if it was posted here I missed it.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 13, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Talking to someone with the Dark Eldar Codex.

No using Dodge against Overwatch.

Supposedly, there's a glitch in the Court Of the Archon where you can take just the Court? And he confirms that it's HQ units that get the portal and what it does.

Maybe this is all old news, if it was posted here I missed it.

Yeah RAW the court can be taken without an archon. My buddy pointed it out to me today.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Safety Factor posted:

It's not AP2, but Dark Angels can take the Mace of Redemption. :black101:

And I've considered it! But at the end of the day Chaplains come with the weapon built into their points cost and get absurdly expensive if you buy them anything more. An Interrogator Chaplain costs 20 points more than a Master for -1 WS and Hatred and less wargear options. My Interrogator Chaplain as modeled, with the Mace of Redemption, costs 180 points! ~DA problems~

Speaking of, I've recently undergone a slow Ebay project of replacing my old, 2nd/3rd ed Deathwing army with a new, 40 mm base army! They're not 100% done painting wise, need to clean them up and do some more details, but I'm pretty happy with their updated look. Also Terminators are absurdly inexpensive on Ebay.

Old army squad (also painted like 12 years ago):

Same squad, new army:

Bonus terrible picture of WIP Belial:

Hooray broken cell phone camera pictures

Edit: In case anyone's interested in buying 25 old terminators on the cheap, lemme know!

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 13, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Naramyth posted:

Yeah RAW the court can be taken without an archon. My buddy pointed it out to me today.

What's the reasoning here, that because it is in the HQ section, you can take one with a HQ slot, and the Retainers rule just allows you to take one without using a slot if you have an Archon?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
As a xenos player I fear the crozius.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cataphract posted:

As a xenos player I fear the crozius.

Yeah but majority armies are marines so....

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PeterWeller posted:

What's the reasoning here, that because it is in the HQ section, you can take one with a HQ slot, and the Retainers rule just allows you to take one without using a slot if you have an Archon?

Pretty much spot on. Unlike previous editions, it doesn't have the weird greyed-out text box or anything like that, it's just listed as a normal HQ choice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After stripping it a month ago because I learned that I was painting way too thick, I finally got this fucker mostly finished:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

Pretty much spot on. Unlike previous editions, it doesn't have the weird greyed-out text box or anything like that, it's just listed as a normal HQ choice.

Right on. It's probably not intentional, but neither is it broken. You can bring a court alongside a haemon or succubus, but that's no bonus over the archon, or you can go with a garbage warlord. Either way, you're wasting a slot that could buy a WWP. It's pretty much a trap to be honest.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LingcodKilla posted:

Played a game with a few old buddies and a new one The Sisko kid. It was a 3 on 2 game and I started drinking early so the finer points were lost on me but I do recall Siskos big dumb suit vaporizing my deep striking librarian and assault squad in one shot. Also we managed to tie the called game because my warlord chapter master got stuck with the trait that awards extra VP for killing characters. He plowed through two squads and tied it for us. Clearly we would have lost sooner or later. My army was kinda tooled up for power armor saves and effectively using cover. The Sisko totally ruined that with marker lights.

Wan not impressed with ultramarine tactics. Managed to remember to use them this time at least. Going to go another directions with them next time.

Ultramarine Chapter Tactics are really good when you build a list that takes them into account as well. I love how flexible they are tbh.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

And I've considered it! But at the end of the day Chaplains come with the weapon built into their points cost and get absurdly expensive if you buy them anything more. An Interrogator Chaplain costs 20 points more than a Master for -1 WS and Hatred and less wargear options. My Interrogator Chaplain as modeled, with the Mace of Redemption, costs 180 points! ~DA problems~
Masters are kind of garbage since they don't really add anything to the army. Azrael, Belial, and Sammael are obvious exceptions, but the standard guys are just bland, mediocre beatsticks. I don't run Deathwing or Ravenwing so I've been running an Interrogator-Chaplain in terminator armor with the Mace while keeping the standard crozius for an extra attack. I even converted a model of the guy. I'd probably be better off giving him a combi-melta or maybe even Lion's Roar instead, but this set-up is a lot of fun. Still, take this for what it is, an opinion from a stranger on the internet that likes Deathwing Knights. :downs:

And Belial is looking way better with that foot repose.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just finished off my heavy support section of my Orks. Fielding these as 2 units of Kannons with 15 Lootas for the final slot. All are roughly the same size as a Mek gun.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just finished a Terminator Armoured Chapter Master for my chapter in the campaign I'm running with some friends.

Chapter Master Anduriel... who will make his debut soon.

Running him either with a Relic Blade + SS or Burning Blade + Shield Eternal. Expensive points wise, but its narrative.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
A cross-post from the WFB thread, but until they have an official model this thing is going to quickly become my Great Unclean One stand-in with a few tweaks:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nurgle stuff is always legit as hell.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Thanks for the advice about the ADL. Somehow missed the line about taking a single choice from the Battlements/Battlefield section. Good to know.

Secondary question: did they ever make a model for the ammo dump or is it basically just "slap some bits that make sense on a base?" Google just keeps turning up mostly the same model over and over but it seems to be a very specific homemade one.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Most of the building upgrades have no official model; even the Comms Relay one is usually either used for something else or goes completely unrecognized.

Some boxes, barrels, and stuff covered by tarps should work just fine. You can get them off the IG tank sprues or make your own pretty easily. If you don't mind plunking down some cash, there is a "battlefield debris" sprue that GW sells that has some relevant stuff on it as well.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Hmm. Yeah, the debris pack looks okay. Knowing the name of that pack led me to the ammo crates on eBay. I think I'll probably get those and lay a bolter and some spare missiles or something in the crates. Slap it all down with some scenery on a 60mm base and call it a day.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

LingcodKilla posted:

Played a game with a few old buddies and a new one The Sisko kid. It was a 3 on 2 game and I started drinking early so the finer points were lost on me but I do recall Siskos big dumb suit vaporizing my deep striking librarian and assault squad in one shot. Also we managed to tie the called game because my warlord chapter master got stuck with the trait that awards extra VP for killing characters. He plowed through two squads and tied it for us. Clearly we would have lost sooner or later. My army was kinda tooled up for power armor saves and effectively using cover. The Sisko totally ruined that with marker lights.

Wan not impressed with ultramarine tactics. Managed to remember to use them this time at least. Going to go another directions with them next time.

Sorry for the long delay. That was a really fun time and I would like to thank you for having me over. Honest to god I was not expecting to just vaporize units with the Riptide and Markerlights, but then again it was also my first game as Tau so I really had no expectation of what was gonna happen. My highlight was vaporizing the 2 Wave Serpents with the Ripitde and Broadside shooting in one turn.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've made another post about Kill Team with lots of pictures in this blog - http://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com/

Night Lords with a Rhino with a sweet freehand decal whip my Sternguard. They get an outflanking Rhino in a future game!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I took one of the non-grog players from my FLGS to panascope's house on Saturday to war some hams. With the 3 of us there, we decided to get in a few games instead of one huge scrum, so we ran 750 point lists against each other. We had the opportunity to play on a realm of battle terrain board (not the new cityscape one). Regrettably we did not take photos, so I'll just do quick batreps.

First game was Chris the non-grog Farsight Tau vs Panascope with his CSM nurgle bikers.

Chris ran a Farsight HQ with 2 shield drones, a railgun broadside, 3 crisis suits with tau-plas and shield gens with 2 shield drones each, a 5 or 6 drone squad of markerlight drones and 12 fire warriors. panascope ran CSM lord w/ 5 bikers, mark of nurgle. 2 squads of 5 CSM marines (2 plasma) w/ mark of nurgle and a chaos sorcerer lv.2. Massed Tau shooting ended that game on turn 2 or 3.

Second game: koreban's Crimson Fists vs. panascope's CSM.

In this game I ran 2 5 man squads of tacticals with no special weapons, one in a rhino, the other in a TL heavy bolter razorback, 5 bolter scouts, 1 5 man dev squad with heavy bolters, 1 thunderfire cannon and 1 captain with power sword on a bike and a 3 man bike squad attached w/ 2 melta (but I'm dumb and only took the 2 bikers with melta, forgetting to put the bike sergeant on the table). We played the tactical objectives where you max hand size was equal to the game turn. Game ended koreban 14 VP, panascope 11 VP. MVP for me was my captain going boss mode and holding up against panascope's terminator lord with power fist and lightning claw, eventually killing him with my AP3 power sword (only to die to psychic shriek). The game ran to 7th turn and was back and forth the entire time.

Third game: Chris' Tau vs. koreban's Crimson Fists.

I gave Tau first deployment/turn, which probably is what won me the game. We played Big Guns Never Tire on Dawn of War deployment. Chris put his fire warriors in a bunker way back in his deployment zone. His crisis suits were on the right edge of the board, broadside and commander on the left and markerlight drones in the middle. I placed my scouts and thunderfire in a ruins on the right side, opposite his crisis team, my dev squad was in a sandbag foxhole about 4 inches back from my forward deployment limit and I put my rhino, razorback and bike squad w/ captain against the left edge of the field. Chris rolled horribly on his broadside and went after my captain with his invuln save instead of my razorback. I thunderfired and heavy boltered out all of the markerlight drones and my scouts took 2 losses, then unloaded close range bolter drill on the crisis suits, who were second guessing their choices in life, especially after they moved close enough to consider charging my scouts only to get direct fired on by my thunderfire cannon and were in a long charge range of my techmarine. In a feat of tactical genius, I managed to force Chris to concede defeat on Turn 4, having killed his broadisde, markerlight drones, all of the shield drones on his crisis team (plus 1 wound on 2 of the crisis suits) and was staring down a unit of fire warriors that were probably gonna get charged.

All 3 games were great fun and panascope seemed to get along with Chris, so we're slowly expanding the goon-approved playgroup up in the Portland/Vancouver area. If anyone else is local and throws dice for space barbies, it's a good time to get in touch. Hixson was doing a 10k, which I can only imagine meant he was eating 10k calories of processed cheese product and fried pork. Who knows what's up with that guy anymore.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Poor old panascope getting dumstered ITT :(

Looking forward to playing with you guys around Thanksgiving.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a Portland Ham! :3: Woodstock neighborhood representin. I don't always have a lot of time, but it'd be great to break out of the single opponent drudgery someday! (He's a great friend and we both have multiple armies, but it does get a bit predictable at times)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah but majority armies are marines so....
It can reliably put down a few wounds, and even if they get their saves against it, you can hopefully get in enough that they start to fail some. Then again, with only two base attacks and no way to get an extra on Terminator armor outside of charging, you're not really gonna put down a lot of volume.

Ghost Hand posted:

Ultramarine Chapter Tactics are really good when you build a list that takes them into account as well. I love how flexible they are tbh.
I know they're good but I keep forgetting to use them. Maybe once this assault squad is done and I can field a pretty reasonable Battle Company-style list I'll remember since I'll have a good smattering of tac, assault, and dev squads.

PierreTheMime posted:

A cross-post from the WFB thread, but until they have an official model this thing is going to quickly become my Great Unclean One stand-in with a few tweaks:

God drat. I don't like the Nurgle aesthetic for my own armies (I like models that are a little more clean-cut, if you can believe it :v:) all the new Nurgle stuff has been knocking it out of the park.

Lord Twisted posted:

I've made another post about Kill Team with lots of pictures in this blog - http://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com/

Night Lords with a Rhino with a sweet freehand decal whip my Sternguard. They get an outflanking Rhino in a future game!
These are fun! Please keep sharing them.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

I know they're good but I keep forgetting to use them. Maybe once this assault squad is done and I can field a pretty reasonable Battle Company-style list I'll remember since I'll have a good smattering of tac, assault, and dev squads.

The Tactical Doctrine has saved my rear end so many times. Write it on the back of your hand!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

The Tactical Doctrine has saved my rear end so many times. Write it on the back of your hand!
Calgar = blue
Abaddon = black

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Monoliths posted:

I'm a Portland Ham! :3: Woodstock neighborhood representin. I don't always have a lot of time, but it'd be great to break out of the single opponent drudgery someday! (He's a great friend and we both have multiple armies, but it does get a bit predictable at times)

If you've got Wednesday nights available, I play at Nexus Games in Gresham. You can take Powell or 84 and it's not horrible. We've got people that come from as far as Aloha and Woodburn most weeks. I'd encourage you to come by some time. On Saturdays, panascope, hixson and I have been playing at panascope's house in Vancouver. If you want to mix it up some time, or if you want to play at someplace like Red Castle, or even if you're up for hosting send some PMs around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ghost Hand posted:

I typed them out in the largest print I could with each part of the doctrine its own paragraph and left the piece of paper on top of my army list. Ended up using tactical on turn 1, devastator turn 3 and assault was never useful.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What do you guys think about this strange 750 Tyranids list I've created?

HQ
Old One Eye

Elites
1x Zoanthrope
1x Zoanthrope
1x Venomthrope

Troops
10x Termagants w/ 6 Devourers, 4 Fleshborers
10x Termagants w/ 5 Devourers, 5 Fleshborers
10x Termagants w/ 5 Devourers, 5 Fleshborers

Fast Attack
Hive Crone w/ Regeneration, Cluster Spines

749 points

OOE is sharing his ld8 with all the gants, and it's all pretty self explanatory.

DO IT TO IT fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 13, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Pictures of this model have been horrible, but it's about 90% done. Tried to get the best picture I could but it's blurry and some details and colors are lost/appear to bleed together/washed out :(

I'm unsure of what to do with the sword. I was going to go with green, but I'm not sure if I should just make it a rusty blade. Thoughts?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm just back from my Warhammerfest/World trip. Had a great time, I much prefer the format and venue of the 'fest over recent Gamesdays. Could do with more stuff from normal GW to look at, felt a bit like a Forgeworld show in regards to tables and models. The highpoint was the 'pod' idea they went with. We went to Blank Space's table painting pod which was interesting, the Forgeworld seminar which was a well-presented but generic advertising seminar, and then went to Chris Innes Dark Eldar vehicle painting pod which was great.
Sitting across the table from an Eavy Metal painter (even if he is on the bulk painting team now) while he shows you first hand how to do stuff, and goes off on slightly tangential Q&As was worth the entry fee alone.

Then I spent today playing a doubles game (my DE alongside Tau, vs two Eldar armies) on the Spyral Prime table which is a 6x8' urban board with lots of large, tall buildings. Even with the miniatures museum closed and the hall quite truncated by construction work it's still worth a visit.

krushgroove posted:

Wyches really suffer

My squad of seven Wyches (inluding Hekatrix with agoniser, no special weapons) charged an Avatar in turn five. Two died before they got to strike, but the others got five wounds through to kill him. They also gained Linebreaker. I think people in general are tending to discount the effect PfP has on them later in the game. I deliberately held them back for the first couple of turns and it worked a treat.

As for Reavers, they are a star unit. Nine of them with a champion and cluster caltrops, nothing else, absolutely murdered an assault by Striking Scorpions who were using Rangers as Overwatch cannonfodder. They lasted out to the very end of the game, requiring a Wraithknight to finally finish them off. "They were a nightmare, I couldn't touch them" was the verdict from the Eldar player who did not have a Knight. Well worth the investment.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 13, 2014

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

koreban posted:

If you've got Wednesday nights available, I play at Nexus Games in Gresham. You can take Powell or 84 and it's not horrible. We've got people that come from as far as Aloha and Woodburn most weeks. I'd encourage you to come by some time. On Saturdays, panascope, hixson and I have been playing at panascope's house in Vancouver. If you want to mix it up some time, or if you want to play at someplace like Red Castle, or even if you're up for hosting send some PMs around.

That sounds good! Wednesdays are usually out for me, but Saturdays could be a go. I'm workin on a new modular river board, so might be able to host sometime when that's done. I'll PM y'all.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Monoliths posted:

That sounds good! Wednesdays are usually out for me, but Saturdays could be a go. I'm workin on a new modular river board, so might be able to host sometime when that's done. I'll PM y'all.

I've got a board and plenty of terrain so just :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Boon posted:

Pictures of this model have been horrible, but it's about 90% done. Tried to get the best picture I could but it's blurry and some details and colors are lost/appear to bleed together/washed out :(

I'm unsure of what to do with the sword. I was going to go with green, but I'm not sure if I should just make it a rusty blade. Thoughts?

I'd say go with rusty. Green might make the model a little too Christmas-y. Maybe that's what you're going for, though. IIRC, your fire dragons are already kinda Christmas-y, and the Archon would match with them, then.

How are you liking the Archon model? I think the posing kind of sucks. Your painting, as always, looks fantastic, though.

• Locked thread