Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I totally confused Kenshin with Kenshiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Who needs energy beams when you just make up a special move to counter anything you want on the spot.

Unless you want to tell me Kenshiro has a special move specifically against tanks thrown at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I wonder if the original Majin Buu could be a God of Destruction pre-dating Beerus. Pre-DBZ Buu is described as a destructive force that is as old as "time immemorial" that would go through cycles of slumber and wanton havoc. The pre-DBZ Buu is also described as becoming "steadily more violent" over the course of his various sleep/destroy cycles.

Thus it fits the narrative that Buu could possibly be a previous God of Destruction, who are also shown to go through cycles of slumber and havoc, that was for whatever reason replaced by Beerus at least 75 million years ago. 5 million years prior to DBZ, while Beerus is napping, Buu gets resurrected by Bibidi, kills some of the Supreme Kai's but then gets locked away only to be released by Babidi for the Buu Saga.

Beerus being asleep during the events of the attack of the Sacred Planet of the Kai's would explain why he never mentions Buu and assumes Freeza is the most powerful being in the universe. He would be under the belief that Buu was vanquished over 75 million years ago and is unaware that Buu was resurrected five million years ago by Bibidi. This also explains why he did not recognize Mr. Buu at Bulma's party since he would not have been aware Buu absorbed the Grand Supreme Kai and became a fatass (and is also technically an entirely different person...sorta).

It's already established that Whis is older and more powerful than Beerus and takes on new apprentices when the old one wears out his welcome, as evidenced by him offering the job to Goku. It's possible either Whis got rid of Buu in favor of Beerus due to Buu becoming too destructive or Beerus defeated Buu himself and took his place.

I think too much about Dragonball.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wasn't it explicitly stated that Bibidi personally created Buu outright?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if the powers that be would want something as uncontrollable as Buu to be a God of Destruction. Though that'd also explain why it'd be sealed from time to time. Not only that but the fact that Beerus would employ Freeza opens up the possibility that Whis could go to Bibidi. It's neat to think about.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wasn't it explicitly stated that Bibidi personally created Buu outright?

He claimed to, but it was later explained in supplemental material that he essentially only "summoned" him.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He also has one where he punches the poo poo out of a bus.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Babe Magnet posted:

He also has one where he punches the poo poo out of a bus.
But does he ever get his driver's license?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He sure did.

There were no survivors.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

He sure did.

There were no survivors.

There were only bad guys in that episode, in other words. They were trying to teach him how to drive by making him run faster than their car.

It was several episodes.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
But who had the worst movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jn6ZVO_Tg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HtWj2ibRHw

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:stare: That exists? There was an American Fist of the North Star movie and it starred Malcolm McDowell?!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No contest, Live Action FOTNS is way better than DragonBall Evolution.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: That exists? There was an American Fist of the North Star movie and it starred Malcolm McDowell?!

I don't know why but I can only think of that man as "That guy who keeps playing the villain in bad low budget movies!".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HGH posted:

I don't know why but I can only think of that man as "That guy who keeps playing the villain in bad low budget movies!".

His career really peaked early.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

:stare:

:allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
His reaction to all the jabbing is so good. :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love how hokuto no ken basically became "I make you do whatever the gently caress I want if I hit you in some random spot" and kenshiro having a counter for pretty much anything.

but seriously Fist of the north star owns and everyone should watch it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I unironically kind of like live-action FotNS. It's not great, but it's a decent enough attempt.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Holy poo poo someone post the followup give so I can know how accurate it is. How have I never heard of this?

Edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ955wYSE0

dogs named Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 14, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogs named Charlie posted:

Holy poo poo someone post the followup give so I can know how accurate it is. How have I never heard of this?

Edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ955wYSE0

they don't even let you see his head explode.

Also the technique name was edited in incase you didn't realize.

Also Jagi is just some dude who ties his head up with leather instead of welding a bitching steel plate to his skull.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Also Jagi is just some dude who ties his head up with leather instead of welding a bitching steel plate to his skull.
Yeah but that's paid off when Julia kills him by unwrapping the leather and thus exploding his head

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
poo poo that takes five minutes:

Oolong's tranformation time
A seriously injured special beam cannon charge up
Frieza destroying an entire planet planet

Roshi blew up the moon in less time, he is therefore better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

dogs named Charlie posted:

poo poo that takes five minutes:

Oolong's tranformation time
A seriously injured special beam cannon charge up
Frieza destroying an entire planet planet

Roshi blew up the moon in less time, he is therefore better.

Roshi can go toe-to-toe with Broly when he bulks up, if Budokai Tenkaichi is anything to go by.

I choose to accept this as canon.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thyrork posted:

His reaction to all the jabbing is so good. :allears:

I've wanted to do a long rear end writeup about this movie for the longest time and that gif rekindled my interest once again.

The guy who played Rufio in Hook plays Bat in this and it's both awesome and terrible.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

I remember when this was on Netflix, it was glorious. Its so loving bad! Costas Mandylor? WHO HAS THAT NAME????? WHAT ACCENT IS KENSHIRO??? DOWNTOWN JULIE BROWN???? RUFIO????? Some character deaths were awesome, as was Aussie(?) Kenshiro's karate sounds.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New DBM hit. Emperor Veggie's dead, unless Ghost Veggie turns on Raichi.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I really hope emperor Vegeta can win this somehow. Raichi's gimmick has run its course unless he's just going to get one-shotted next round.

edit- though the more and more I look at how the last panel was staged, I think there's a high probability of Ghost Nappa Vegeta turning his blast on Raichi.

the culminator fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 15, 2014

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

the culminator posted:

I really hope emperor Vegeta can win this somehow. Raichi's gimmick has run its course unless he's just going to get one-shotted next round.

edit- though the more and more I look at how the last panel was staged, I think there's a high probability of Ghost Nappa Vegeta turning his blast on Raichi.

Yeah I was going to post this same thing.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

New DBM hit. Emperor Veggie's dead, unless Ghost Veggie turns on Raichi.

Maybe let other people read this for themselves.

Edit: Sorry never mind, this is opinion not spoiler.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Isn't Raichi gonna get stronger and stronger as the tourney goes on though? Although I suppose he's only ever going to be res'ing losers.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sharktamer posted:

Isn't Raichi gonna get stronger and stronger as the tourney goes on though? Although I suppose he's only ever going to be res'ing losers.

He'll get stomped by gast next round either way

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He'll get stomped by gast next round either way

Yeah his problem is that he is relying on a strategy of taking down strong opponents through sheer weight of numbers, which, frankly, doesn't work in Dragonball.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This fight has been awesome, even if it's gone on way too long and either character will lose in the next round.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

This fight has been awesome, even if it's gone on way too long and either character will lose in the next round.

I still think a double KO is happening. Winner of Gast/King Piccolo advances an extra round.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I still think a double KO is happening. Winner of Gast/King Piccolo advances an extra round.

Would be the best narrative choice, since neither of these two seem like they could do much to Gast/King Piccolo if he somehow beats Gast.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Battle of Gods was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed how light-hearted it was for the majority, while still having moments of seriousness. They're doing another movie, aren't they?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Iskanderson posted:

Battle of Gods was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed how light-hearted it was for the majority, while still having moments of seriousness. They're doing another movie, aren't they?

Yeah, "the worst wish." Goku wishes for something really bad (probably someone strong to fight at his level) and then a lot of fighting happens.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Darko posted:

Yeah, "the worst wish." Goku wishes for something really bad (probably someone strong to fight at his level) and then a lot of fighting happens.

Haha he would.

Was there ever a DBM chapter that explained King Piccolo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Haha he would.

Was there ever a DBM chapter that explained King Piccolo?

IIRC Goku went evil or never showed up or something.

• Locked thread