Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm new to this thread. Around what page does the good stuff start? Right now I just see a bunch of dudes posting about how awesome this game is gonna be because EverQuest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm new to this thread. Around what page does the good stuff start? Right now I just see a bunch of dudes posting about how awesome this game is gonna be because EverQuest.

Brad starts lelu dallas multiposting on page 17.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I appreciate that, on its own, the early hype pages are a bit dry but I can assure you that those posts are the salt that make the meat of this thread oh so delicious.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I too was in this situation and, when I caught up to current progress, my first post in the thread I pointed to this post for when things turned from :spergin: about MMOs in general to the Pantheon train wreck, aka a few pages of glory. The 17th page approximation is close enough, you just miss the initial announcement of monthly fee forum.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

bUm posted:

I too was in this situation and, when I caught up to current progress, my first post in the thread I pointed to this post for when things turned from :spergin: about MMOs in general to the Pantheon train wreck, aka a few pages of glory. The 17th page approximation is close enough, you just miss the initial announcement of monthly fee forum.

Summary:
- dumb idiot with an existing terrible track record at creating MMO goes "hey guys we're going to recreate everquest everyone loves everquest and wants a game like it, even though it's still running right??"
- people fellate him because he did a thing in everquest
- cue an endless list of dumb bad game decisions very few people would pay for even if brad didn't have a track record as a money squandering, foul-mouthed, scam artist
- kickstarter for panthion fails because above
- private funding falls through when the trust fund baby's trust manager listens to the first sentence of brad's pitch
- brad holds private donations and raises about $145k, of which he pays himself $50k of it as a "five-month pay advance"
- brad has a history of hard drug abuse
- "developers" walk out of the "studio" (brad's garage) after realizing they aren't going to be paid in money
- brad creates forums with monthly subscription tiers and game cash shop before any working parts of the game are featured anywhere
- brad licenses the unity engine and buys the cheapest models he can off the unity community market to make a "concept video"
- brad brings in a family of utterly insane "christian programmers" to work basically for free and take over all development
- brad is now begging for extremely experienced unity programming "volunteers" to create his game for him for nothing
- schadenfreude

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think at least one of them was being ironic.

Probably.

Or at least I hope so.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress McQuaid EQ stole 13 years of my life

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think at least one of them was being ironic.

Probably.

Or at least I hope so.

Nope not at all. Once this slips off the forum and Brad announces a new game it'll be the exact same idiots drooling over how awesome it's going to be

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Vomik posted:

Nope not at all. Once this slips off the forum and Brad announces a new game it'll be the exact same idiots drooling over how awesome it's going to be

TBF it's usually the exact same idiots in every thread about an obviously poo poo game. There's something about this passtime which attracts the most willfully ignorant fools, I swear.

See: people defending SotA. :v:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Rime posted:

TBF it's usually the exact same idiots in every thread about an obviously poo poo game.

Every new MMORPG is the best thing ever until it actually comes out and we have to play it. Pantheon will never come out, therefore it will be the best MMO forever. Checkmate, haters :smugdog:.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 11, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

bUm posted:

Looking back at it all you really can't go wrong from page 2.

Aradune posted:

You're right -- we didn't reach out enough before KS launch.

We are reaching out now :)

-Brad

Node posted:

Oh my gosh, an idol of mine posting in my thread. I need to add some pics and videos to the OP. Got a few links for me sir?

Knowing the outcome really puts a lot of this into a new perspective.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

randombattle posted:

Looking back at it all you really can't go wrong from page 2.

Knowing the outcome really puts a lot of this into a new perspective.

YOU'RE TWISTING MY WORDS AND I WON'T STAND FOR IT

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Looking back I am kinda amazed that itweant this badly pearshaped. I was there on the first page prophesising a failed project but I didn't expect the mmo from the other side of the pool in event horizon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't want to just post my reactions like some liveposting goober but I reached a guy who says that FFXIV was one of the worst MMOs he's ever played and another who used Star Citizen as a positive example for crowdfunding.

What the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
To be fair, if the guy was talking about XIV 1.0, then yes, it was definitely one of the worst MMOs in existence. It is only through the absolutely amazing efforts of Yoshi-P and his dev team and the buckets of money SE poured into fixing things that it has become the Cinderella/Ugly Duckling story that it is.

As for Star Citizen... there's no defending that. Just reading the concept of the thing makes me cringe in horror at how the servers would just immolate upon beta trials.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jwang posted:

To be fair, if the guy was talking about XIV 1.0, then yes, it was definitely one of the worst MMOs in existence. It is only through the absolutely amazing efforts of Yoshi-P and his dev team and the buckets of money SE poured into fixing things that it has become the Cinderella/Ugly Duckling story that it is.

As for Star Citizen... there's no defending that. Just reading the concept of the thing makes me cringe in horror at how the servers would just immolate upon beta trials.

The topic was definitely about ARR and some of his complaints included how easy it is to tank in pre-level 30 dungeons as a MRD/WAR ("just hit Overpower and occasionally move around a bit!"), how dull it is to grind FATEs, and how easy and painless it is to play solo. And also how the gear had no procs or interesting features, just stat point differences. And other quibbles that mostly amount to how much he dislikes the current state of themepark MMO design, for better or worse. He just happened to be using FFXIV ARR as the effigy for his distaste.

I mean, reading people's fond memories of EQ, I can understand how MMOs just don't have that magic anymore to people who experienced it. But there's a reason why the number one rejection of EQ's more onerous conceits, World of Warcraft, took off the way it did. A lot of these fondly-remembered anecdotes sound, to me, like horror stories. And the complaints they have for modern MMOs are about conveniences without which these games would be needlessly wasting my time when I could be doing something else like watching Netflix.

There was a guy who wanted to know if there were plans to not include maps in the game.

I'm right with you on SC though. Red flags were popping for me when I noticed people talking about buying and selling ships when all they had was a barebones "hangar module."

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I can get some of that, the complaints about FFXIV are why I quit after beating the raid content for the time. I just couldn't handle the low level stuff a second time because it was so soulless and boring. That's basically every MMO ever that isn't a sandbox, though. I'm back tackling heroics in WoW and waiting on the patch, just because all the alternatives are pretty boring.

I really think WoW took off so spectacularly because all of its competitors were trainwrecks, it was highly polished, and EQ done hosed up hard around the GoD era and then poo poo like EQ2/vanguard were unplayable at launch. You bet your rear end I was playing WoW as my main game after that horrible garbage expansion of GoD, and I was pretty much a die-hard EQ fan.

I would still be interested in an 'oldschool' style MMO still, if only because we have like 3 dozen wow clones and really nothing that feels like EQ did. I would also take something radically new and experimental. Just anything but the constant failed hotbar wow-clones that are poo poo out constantly. I still think that playing a bard/pvp in EQ was more interesting than most of what I do in MMOs now.

That sentiment is what attracted a lot of the initial kickstarter support, but that crashed and burned so spectacularly that I don't know anyone who hadn't yanked their initial donation after the first week.

It doesn't mean I want to regress to the stone age, just that I want an MMO that offers different things for when we're staring down a full year of SoO again.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 12, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I still think that playing a bard/pvp in EQ was more interesting than most of what I do in MMOs now.

Go go Fansy!

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't want to just post my reactions like some liveposting goober but I reached a guy who says that FFXIV was one of the worst MMOs he's ever played and another who used Star Citizen as a positive example for crowdfunding.

What the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

Star Citizen was successful at raising money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zvim posted:

Star Citizen was successful at raising money.

That doesn't make it a positive example for crowdfunding though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
For anyone who doesn't follow the saga over at Rerolled involving this "game", here's the latest "news" (warning - lots of "quotes" incoming, because this whole thing is a joke)

-Sparkling posts several terrible things on her facebook involving gay people. She's a major person the team (lore, servers, more), as is her whole family. Basically a cult. Had a failed kickstarter for a "christian MMO" called Visions. As well as a failed Kickstarter trying to raise $100 to send her kid to camp, too. Sparkling got rid of Revenants and Necros from Pantheon. I think she nixed an undead race too? ( all of it deemed too demonic)
-Nittrix (or something like that) of the (all volunteer, mind you) "team" gets tired of it, causes a big stink
-Nittrix's posts get deleted from the pantheon boards
-Nittrix defects to the "dark side", joins the Rerolled forum
-Nittrix posts "concept art" done by Sparkling of a "fuzzy troll". People dig up the old "merpeople" "concept art" as well. Both are hilarious.
-Nittrix says he can write good lore, but meanwhile can't write a single correct English sentence, finally gets convinced to stop posting for a while.
-Kyndsomething (someone still on the team) gets drunk and starts posting on Rerolled at like 2 am or something. Basic message is "it's been terrible, but new videos are coming out that are awesome, and stop being mean guys a lot of us are trying really hard and doing our best, there's a lot of news about to come out, direction has been fixed, ITS GONNA ROCK".
-Kyndsomething then tells us all that Sparkling is no longer on the team (quit? "fired"? dunno)
-Kyndsomething edits all his posts.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I don't recall that, might have just forgotten though. I think most people just said earlier in this thread if you look at the successful crowd funding game projects and how they went about it then it was an example of how Brad could have done it better, if there was more substance to what was put out at the time of asking people for their money then it probably would have been received better than it was.

I am generally not in favour of crowd funding for massive projects and will make the project owner a fortune. All the risk falls to the backers and the person who takes all their money is the only one who potentially stands to gain anything, either shooting up those proceeds or actually using them to make a successful game then selling out to Sony for a wad of cash once it is popular. What do backers get? Some remote chance that it will be pulled off successfully many years later? It is a pretty poo poo deal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

xZAOx posted:

For anyone who doesn't follow the saga over at Rerolled involving this "game", here's the latest "news" (warning - lots of "quotes" incoming, because this whole thing is a joke)

:words:

This reminds me of the lovely indie teams I used to join on Gamedev.net, back in the early 2000's. :allears:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

xZAOx posted:

-Sparkling posts several terrible things on her facebook involving gay people. She's a major person the team (lore, servers, more), as is her whole family. Basically a cult. Had a failed kickstarter for a "christian MMO" called Visions. As well as a failed Kickstarter trying to raise $100 to send her kid to camp, too. Sparkling got rid of Revenants and Necros from Pantheon. I think she nixed an undead race too? ( all of it deemed too demonic)
-Nittrix (or something like that) of the (all volunteer, mind you) "team" gets tired of it, causes a big stink
-Nittrix's posts get deleted from the pantheon boards
-Nittrix defects to the "dark side", joins the Rerolled forum
-Nittrix posts "concept art" done by Sparkling of a "fuzzy troll". People dig up the old "merpeople" "concept art" as well. Both are hilarious.
-Nittrix says he can write good lore, but meanwhile can't write a single correct English sentence, finally gets convinced to stop posting for a while.
-Kyndsomething (someone still on the team) gets drunk and starts posting on Rerolled at like 2 am or something. Basic message is "it's been terrible, but new videos are coming out that are awesome, and stop being mean guys a lot of us are trying really hard and doing our best, there's a lot of news about to come out, direction has been fixed, ITS GONNA ROCK".
-Kyndsomething then tells us all that Sparkling is no longer on the team (quit? "fired"? dunno)
-Kyndsomething edits all his posts.

The development drama of this trainwreck is far more entertaining than the game would ever be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

No More Heroes posted:

The development drama of this trainwreck is far more entertaining than the game would ever be.

Also cheaper!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No More Heroes posted:

Yes, haha. I haven't seen MMO theatrics this good since the old days of EQ guild drama. Pantheon has delivered at this point just by (not) existing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Compared to Pantheon it was a positive example of how to do a crowdfunding campaign. They showed their idea for what they wanted to do, explained how they would get there, offered incentives for people to donate, and communicated with the community at every step of the kickstarter. Whether you like where Star Citizen ended up or not they did it right.

Unlike almost everything about Pantheon with it's pictures a dungeon scrawled out on a napkin and constant pandering to it's creator's TOTALLY AWESOME UNIQUE CHARACTER!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
New video update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oELd95jqaFc

This is the one that they supposedly spent a lot of time polishing on.

I'll just let that sink in.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

xZAOx posted:

New video update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oELd95jqaFc

This is the one that they supposedly spent a lot of time polishing on.

I'll just let that sink in.

Cant even afford a 2 key for his hot bar

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Haha holy poo poo, I like how the last minute of that video is just "Hey if you guys know of any accredited investors send'em our way! We've got a business plan and everything!"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm tempted to email him just to get a look at that business plan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So tempted.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A lot of skeletons in that vid, did Sparkle sign off on this??

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So am I looking at more unity stock areas here, or did they manage to cobble together a "unique" area with prefab terrain models?

EDIT: Wow! I was expecting Brad to be talking over the video or something at least, but it's just nine or so minutes of him running around skeletons and lizard men with Definitely Not Friona Vie.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2014

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I can tell why they are excited about this, it would have KILLED in 1999.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

i am tim! posted:

So am I looking at more unity stock areas here, or did they manage to cobble together a "unique" area with prefab terrain models?

EDIT: Wow! I was expecting Brad to be talking over the video or something at least, but it's just nine or so minutes of him running around skeletons and lizard men with Definitely Not Friona Vie.

The mountains are prefabs and the textures and grass are too. I'm not sure about the actual castle walls and gate but I think they are, hard to tell without buying the specific assets I think they are and checking.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7110

thats your skeletons

The rest is a hodgepodge of 'starter kits' if you go looking on the assets store.

tonesville
Apr 25, 2010

randombattle posted:

I'm tempted to email him just to get a look at that business plan.

I sense an imminent goon-flavored "consultation". At least I hope I do.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Byolante posted:

The mountains are prefabs and the textures and grass are too. I'm not sure about the actual castle walls and gate but I think they are, hard to tell without buying the specific assets I think they are and checking.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7110

thats your skeletons

The rest is a hodgepodge of 'starter kits' if you go looking on the assets store.

That's incredibly sad even for one dude. Like that's the level of garbage a 12 year old could poop out in 8 hours if you gave them $100.

Meth - Not Even Once

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mods please change my name to A Nasty Skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
back when i first read this thread and watched pantheon's kickstarter video i knew nothing about brad because i never played everquest. brad's face was so loving smug in the video however and he looked so self-centered from the first second on that my instant gut feeling was that i should never ever trust this man with my money and i'm glad i wasn't proven wrong. thanks, my gut.

• Locked thread