Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please watch K-ON, Azumanga Dioah, or Non Non Biyori.

I'm watching K-ON!! right now (s2) for the first time and it's pretty fun slice of life stuff. Reminds me of my own high school days of jam sessions with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

KaneTW posted:

http://a.pomf.se/jrsabg.webm

Bahamut owns, go watch Bahamut.

Loads happens in twenty minutes, it's all great fun, and the vast majority of it is in motion. Protagonist is also a splendid little poo poo.

I want more and I want it now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yo watch Sketchbook ~full color'S~, it's the slice of lifest and chillest show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And after that if you like the genre go back and watch Azumanga, Hare+Guu, or Daily Lives of Highschool Boys.

Those are more straight up comedies instead of instead of chill slice of lifeness but yes all those own.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The roaches on Terraformers are the dumbest looking thing.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Bahamut is still fun as hell. I love the sleazy, accidental hero protagonist.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nuru posted:

The roaches on Terraformers are the dumbest looking thing.

Basically big homo erectus with antenna and big buggy eyes.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Terraformers is something no one should bother watching until uncensored versions are out. The amount of the screen they black out is ridiculous to the point of it being unclear what happens in a number of scenes.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Man, Inou-Battle episode 2 was awful. Just painful. Ugh.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Bahamut's Flamenco dance was glorious and i hope the show keeps being this good till the end.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Basically big homo erectus with antenna and big buggy eyes.

Thanks, I'm definitely having nightmares tonight, jerk.

Bahamut is too great to be true. Well, the beginning and the post-credits part were terrible and at first I thought I was watching the wrong series. Why do I have a feeling the knight will gently caress things up by trying to... uh, be a knight?

The series has plenty of time to go to poo poo though, which I'm afraid of. :ohdear:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The sole issue with Bahamut is that I'm gonna be disappointed when Favaro goes all heroic...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

The sole issue with Bahamut is that I'm gonna be disappointed when Favaro goes all heroic...

Favaro is already a hero.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Favaro is already a hero.

A hero among terrible anime protags.

The hero we need.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 14, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Stall_19 posted:

Man, Inou-Battle episode 2 was awful. Just painful. Ugh.
I enjoyed it, but I do have a high tolerance for comedy based on awkward teenage romantic misunderstandings.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paracelsus posted:

I enjoyed it, but I do have a high tolerance for comedy based on awkward teenage romantic misunderstandings.

Inou-Battle is pure fluff. Even the harem cliches are fluff, instead of the traditional slapstick. Also the first half of the episode was a bunch of kanji jokes about how people write "cool" names in Japanese.

I also have a high tolerance for fluff though.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razzled posted:

I'm watching K-ON!! right now (s2) for the first time and it's pretty fun slice of life stuff. Reminds me of my own high school days of jam sessions with friends.

anime will never be as good again sorry dude

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Clarste posted:

Inou-Battle is pure fluff. Even the harem cliches are fluff, instead of the traditional slapstick. Also the first half of the episode was a bunch of kanji jokes about how people write "cool" names in Japanese.
The competition winner was rather amazing. I mean, drat.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I watched Bahamut, but I thought it was really cliche and rote. What are you guys seeing in it that Im not?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's cliche and rote, but it does the cliches a lot better than most stuff. It's also very pretty.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

KoB posted:

I watched Bahamut, but I thought it was really cliche and rote. What are you guys seeing in it that Im not?

It's cliche and rote in the Pirates of the Caribbean Hollywood-adventure-movie style, not the teenagers save the world with superpowers anime style. Which makes it actually refreshing. Also, it has the metalest loving OP of the year.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hollywood style action is actually really cool, it's just that the most of the movies that feature it are bloated and poorly paced, which ends up squandering all the budget that they get to throw around the screen. I like Bahamut because we get the same kind of lush production in a package that doesn't bore me to tears, and every action scene has some twist that makes it unique or pretty or reveals some kind of character quirk. I mean, there isn't some deep meaning behind all of it, but the story is solid framework to hang pretty stuff on which is way more than you can say for most blockbusters and also most anime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I hear that he's a shotacon

God drat it. I like Kokkuri and Kohina, and am willing to put up with Inugami if he tones it down, but if that's true then it's just going to trundle straight into bad territory. Why couldn't they just stick with the actually good characters? :( (Because Japan, I guess.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The competition winner was rather amazing. I mean, drat.

It clearly seems like she used to be a chuuni, so it makes sense she has the knack to still do that stuff.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

I also have a high tolerance for fluff though.

As pure fluff goes, it's pretty enjoyable. I might even stick with it.

quote:

God drat it. I like Kokkuri and Kohina, and am willing to put up with Inugami if he tones it down, but if that's true then it's just going to trundle straight into bad territory. Why couldn't they just stick with the actually good characters? (Because Japan, I guess.)

My thoughts exactly. Why you gotta ruin a good thing like that, whyyyyy?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

God drat it. I like Kokkuri and Kohina, and am willing to put up with Inugami if he tones it down, but if that's true then it's just going to trundle straight into bad territory. Why couldn't they just stick with the actually good characters? :( (Because Japan, I guess.)

It reminds me of Inu x Boku SS Inugami might be more normal in the next episode. Maybe.

I kinda wished the original manga source was translated but what can you do :v:?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yowapeda owns even harder in the second season compared to the first, completing the year of absurdly good sports anime. The only way this year could be more perfect is a Chihayafuru season 3 announcement for winter season :pray:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eh, Inou-battle definitely isn't going to finally make anime into a recognized artform, but it's funny enough (I like kanji jokes, even if I'm too retarded to know even one word of japanese), it's kinda sweet (that whole thing about making the outsider feel welcome to the group), the animation gets occasionally nice and it's released on monday which would otherwise be an empty day for me so yeah, I'm definitely going to follow that.

Come to think of it, I should make a thread for it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Mercrom posted:

If you have to invent a new phrase for the English language you aren't translating anymore. It's much more justifiable to leave chuunibyou untranslated than something like "otaku" or "hikikomori", which have close English equivalents.

That said it's pretty much a made up anime thing like tsundere anyway, not something worth knowing like schadenfreude or zeitgeist.

It was invented by a radio host to describe things that had happened to him (and other people) in real life. How is that a made-up anime thing? Part of the reason it's such a common trope is because it's so easily relatable.

I've had to come up with translations for offhand usage of "chuunibyou" a few times in the past, and while there isn't any one phrase you can translate it to 100% of the time (besides "eighth-grader syndrome", if your audience can be expected to know what that is) there is generally something you can come up with that works just fine in the context if you exercise a little creativity. I feel bad for anyone who takes on the challenge of properly translating Inou Battle though because it comes up like 20 times in the first episode alone.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And they exist in America, too. Obviously they're heavily exaggerated in anime for comedic effect but if you've gone to junior high school you had to have seen them. Here, we just call them dorks. That's probably the best translation for using chuuni derisively. Not every insult needs to be super descriptive.

edit:
noun
Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit

I mean, c'mon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 14, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And they exist in America, too. Obviously they're heavily exaggerated in anime for comedic effect but if you've gone to junior high school you had to have seen them. Here, we just call them dorks. That's probably the best translation for using chuuni derisively. Not every insult needs to be super descriptive.

edit:
noun
Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit

I mean, c'mon.

That's a really general insult and does not get the intended meaning across. Plus you ask 5 different people what dork means and you'll get 12 different answers.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rage of Bahamut ep 2 continues to be pretty good. I anxiously await Kaiser and Favro's inevitable team up.

Mordja posted:

I'm glad it was the horse, instead. Favro as a selfish rear end in a top hat works so well. :allears:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Despite almost falling asleep during the first episode of Bahamut, I'm glad I gave the second episode a chance. It's the kind of stupid fantasy fluff that I hate, but it's charming and doesn't take itself seriously yet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Xythar posted:

It was invented by a radio host to describe things that had happened to him (and other people) in real life. How is that a made-up anime thing? Part of the reason it's such a common trope is because it's so easily relatable.

Also, don't forget the giant A/T "Ask me about my friend who has an astral anime husband!" thread, and the fact that every page seemed to have another couple of people who had detailed stories of crazy chuunibyo friends from high school or even later. (Remember the Final Fantasy house?)

It's good to have a word to put to the behavior since it seems to be a pretty common variety of mental illness.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 14, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Parasyte Episode 1 was very tantalizingly brilliant to watch. It had my undividing attention and excitement every minute it was playing.

11/10, gushing over 2-cour season. :sbahj:

Fruit of Grisaia I would give an 8/10, only because I have no idea where the plot will go... (Do not spoil me on this one!)

Also I refuse to watch Terraformars thanks to 1. Racial undertones and 2. GRRM hijacked the script.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 14, 2014

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I can complain about a lot of things in Terraformers, but all races and genders seem to die pretty equally!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nuru posted:

I can complain about a lot of things in Terraformers, but all races and genders seem to die pretty equally!
I was talking about the Super Roaches looking like blackfaced cavemen. Reminds me of apartheid and all...

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Does Terraformars have more racial undertones than say, Tolkien, or is it just white people mistaking black people for apes?

eschaton posted:

Also, don't forget the giant A/T "Ask me about my friend who has an astral anime husband!" thread, and the fact that every page seemed to have another couple of people who had detailed stories of crazy chuunibyo friends from high school or even later. (Remember the Final Fantasy house?)

It's good to have a word to put to the behavior since it seems to be a pretty common variety of mental illness.
There's a difference between anime tropes and mental illnesses though. I'm sure you can also find a few "tsunderes" in E/N.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I was talking about the Super Roaches looking like blackfaced cavemen. Reminds me of apartheid and all...

You're probably finding racism where none exists. Judging by the picture linked earlier, it's pretty much exactly roach + neanderthal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mercrom posted:

Does Terraformars have more racial undertones than say, Tolkien, or is it just white people mistaking black people for apes?

Not really, outside of the really unfortunate bug designs. The weirdest thing to me is that Terraformars goes out of its way to make the human cast as racially diverse as possible, only to have zero self-awareness as to how bad those designs look.

Also the best show of the season is a loving card game anime, go figure.

• Locked thread