Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
gently caress it, Hitler me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I may have started down a horrible path from which there is no return.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Hitler brings everyone together.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

WarpedNaba posted:

I may have started down a horrible path from which there is no return.

http://gotadick.ytmnd.com/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Hey folks, thanks to everyone that's sent me stuff so far. I've been so backed up that I might not have a chance to dive into it this weekend but if you haven't submitted auditions yet and want to, get them to me soon.

jgaudio@live.com or PM with links

I could be going through everything as early as tomorrow night but it depends on if my other plans flop. Like mentioned earlier, once I lock parts down, we'll see what's left to be done and go from there.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: LINES HAVE BEEN SELECTED & FINALIZED/PRODUCED :frogsiren:

Thank you to everyone that auditioned!

Between all the submissions, you guys covered almost everything with good takes, I'm impressed. Only missing one line (and 2 witch ones that I'll likely just do myself):

quote:

Lord Nengorth
Mature, Male, Altive, Proud, Solemn. He is the bearded one on the Prices picture....
You expect him to address you, but instead the Lord of Nabros stands watching you silently…
"Who dares to address the Lord of Nabros, heir to the South-Eastern Kingdom, Protector of Velegarn, and Custodian of the Temple of Febret?"

^^^ If someone can cover this, that'd own.

SELECTIONS
Lord Khornil: WarpedNaba
Lord Darthenos: StinkMeister
Lord Ovengel: D.T. (Melanie contact)

Heralds: D.T. (Melanie contact) (1), J.M. (Melanie contact) (1), WarpedNaba (3) & Stinkmeister (3)

Titans: WarpedNaba (1) & Stinkmeister (3)

Witches: Melanie (2)

Thanks again to everyone that submitted! Once I get the Nengorth line finished by someone, I'll whip up the other 2 witch lines and send everything in with how many keys I'll need & credit information.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 12, 2014

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

Thank you to everyone that auditioned!

Between all the submissions, you guys covered almost everything with good takes, I'm impressed. Only missing one line (and 2 witch ones that I'll likely just do myself):

SELECTIONS
Lord Khornil: WarpedNaba
Lord Darthenos: StinkMeister
Lord Ovengel: D.T. (Melanie contact)

Heralds: D.T. (Melanie contact) (1), J.M. (Melanie contact) (1), WarpedNaba (3) & Stinkmeister (3)

Titans: WarpedNaba (1) & Stinkmeister (3)

Witches: Melanie (2)

Thanks again to everyone that submitted! Once I get the Nengorth line finished by someone, I'll whip up the other 2 witch lines and send everything in with how many keys I'll need & credit information.

Yayyyy!!!! Congrats, guys! Can't wait to hear everyone's work. :) J.M. is so ridiculously psyched. D.T. will be excited too (and I am too!), but this will be J.M.'s first video game credit and he's really really excited. :)

I think I have a Nengorth for you--keep an eye out for a recording from him by noon-ish today.

Do you need another witch or two? I have a couple more people I can ask if you do.

Also--get me everyone's info and I can probably make an IMDb listing for the game and everyone who contributed VO work to it. :)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The Joe Man posted:

LORD NENGORTH

I gave it a try, sent to your e-mail (and links in PM just in case)

I'm sorry I didn't get the other lines to you, I tried a bunch of times but I've really been struggling to produce anything I like.

E: I was sick last month, I could barely talk for 2 weeks. Since then, I've been trying to record the lines for this project and I can't get anything to work right. My finished audio is coming out worse than the stuff I was posting a year-and-a-half ago. It seems like I'm fighting with my equipment a lot and the quality of my reading just isn't there.

I kind of feel like I'm starting over at square one.

titties fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 12, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Yayyyy!!!! Congrats, guys! Can't wait to hear everyone's work. :) J.M. is so ridiculously psyched. D.T. will be excited too (and I am too!), but this will be J.M.'s first video game credit and he's really really excited. :)

I think I have a Nengorth for you--keep an eye out for a recording from him by noon-ish today.

Do you need another witch or two? I have a couple more people I can ask if you do.

Also--get me everyone's info and I can probably make an IMDb listing for the game and everyone who contributed VO work to it. :)

Sweet, I'll watch for the Nengorth recording. I think I can cover the other 2 witch lines; between your two & my two with some pitch changes, we should be good.

An IMDB page would be great & appreciated since I'm about 99% positive the devs aren't going to make one. I'll send a full cast list when we're all settled!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For the witches then did you want women? Because if so I was thinking about trying out that last Lord and my girlfriend saw me reading this and asked about the witches. Let us know and we might give it a try after work tomorrow.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SymfonyMan posted:

For the witches then did you want women? Because if so I was thinking about trying out that last Lord and my girlfriend saw me reading this and asked about the witches. Let us know and we might give it a try after work tomorrow.

Please, go for it!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

That's awesome! Excited to be a part of this. Thanks for the opportunity, Joe Man!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hot bonkin'.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'm recording an audiobook for the first time and I need some people with more experience to point out all of my mistakes. Is this the right thread to post in?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I'm recording an audiobook for the first time and I need some people with more experience to point out all of my mistakes. Is this the right thread to post in?

Yes

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

Absolutely. Audiobooks are really tough work, it's not truly appreciated until you start doing them yourself.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'm recording an audiobook of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Purple Haze Feedback (yes, based on the ridiculous action manga). Here's a first draft of the prologue and first chapter: http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/95603533/file.html

I know I sound like Solid Snake, and I have a problem with breathing in too loudly between sentences and not being consistent with anything. But I did my best to approximate the sound effects, gibberish shouting, and a young girl singing. I am a total noob to voiceovers, so please tell me where I need to improve, especially if I got any Italian pronunciation wrong. I'll re-record this bit if need be until it's good.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Nengorth has been filled (by M.Z. - Melanie contact)

Thank you to everyone that auditioned! I'll be sending them all over tonight and have more info when I get keys and such.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

I'm recording an audiobook of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Purple Haze Feedback (yes, based on the ridiculous action manga). Here's a first draft of the prologue and first chapter: http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/95603533/file.html

I know I sound like Solid Snake, and I have a problem with breathing in too loudly between sentences and not being consistent with anything. But I did my best to approximate the sound effects, gibberish shouting, and a young girl singing. I am a total noob to voiceovers, so please tell me where I need to improve, especially if I got any Italian pronunciation wrong. I'll re-record this bit if need be until it's good.

About what I expected from someone just getting started. I'm very experienced with reading "light novel" material. So there's a ton of feedback I can provide, and advice to give. Since this is a very specific kind of genre, there's certain skills and creative decisions involved with interpreting the text. Since it's so different from other kinds of books, it can present unique challenges which professionals aren't prepared for. You pretty much need to know anime well, in order to tell the story properly.

I'll critique you in categories.

Technical

Your mic does not sound good, this is the immediate flaw as soon as I start playing. This is expected since you're new, and nobody is saying you need a professional microphone. Regardless, it's a flaw.

Lots of background noise from a computer fan and whatever else may be running, such as heating or air conditioning. Pretty normal problems to have. This can be reduced through many different methods of post production, but it's best to not have any of it in your recording to begin with. This goes into more professional stuff, which I doubt you're thinking about at this point.

I can hear you moving around (what I assume is you, unless it's a pet or someone else in the house nearby). You need to keep quite still during a recording, this is common for people starting out, because they get nervous and find this is a way to cope. While it's impossible to keep completely still, and you don't want to do that anyway, you gotta minimize your movements, and not wear any clothing which makes audible noises. I also think you rubbed your hands together sometimes during the recording, is it cold in your room? If it is, you need to try and get a mild temperature in your room, extreme temperatures are bad on the vocal chords.

Vocal aspects

First problem out of the gate, is the same mistake most make starting out (including me). Lack of confidence in their own voice, and trying to put on a voice or tone which isn't theirs. It ends up failing every time. You're trying to sound like a narrator, when you need to sound human, which is being yourself. You're trying to sound cool and smooth, when what you need to do is focus less on how cool you need to sound, and more about telling the story to your audience.

You have a serious case of mouth clicking, which is common for a lot of people, including myself. If you don't know what that is, it's the pops and smacks from all parts of your tongue and mouth coming in contact with each other when you speak. Melanie suggested for me to hydrate better before recordings, and throughout the day. This is the best and most practical solution, but it was only a quarter of the solution. I had to become really aware of it, and train myself to speak in different ways, without opening my mouth too wide. Then I tried lemon in water, which helps a lot. Unfortunately, what works for others, doesn't often work for the next. I still deal with this problem, as many people do. More often than not, it can be reduced through various methods, but not eliminated during recording. That's what DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations such as Audacity and Audition) are helpful with.

When there are musical numbers in a story, it's best to leave them out, or come up with a description of what's happening instead. I say this because time and time again has proven that it's not worth the effort to include, and clashes with how audiobooks are structured. It's a lot easier to just leave them out. The same can be said for the majority of sound effects. This doesn't work, I tried it early on and it was bad. It's far too out of place in the flow of the story, and best left out, or adapted into the narration.

I couldn't distinguish any of the characters, and didn't know when it was the narrator, and when it was a character speaking. There are different techniques you can use. Not all techniques are used by everyone, and I'll cover that in the narration.

Narration

Another common mistake everyone makes starting out, including myself, is reading too quickly. You have to slow down, a lot. People end up reading too fast because they're trying to rush through the story, often being nervous and want to get it over with. You need to pace out the narrative, and make pauses. Knowing when to pause is one of the great keys to being a good narrator and it can never be said enough. This is one of the keys to letting people know when time has passed in a story, when a character is speaking, and it makes all the difference.

When dealing with your characters, there's two ways to vocalize them. You change your tone, accent, inflection, whatever may serve the story. Projecting the attitude of the characters. Or you can go a step further and do character voices as well. Most people in this industry are not capable of doing them well. That's not to say it isn't worth trying, but it's something that's a specialized kind of work.

There's a bunch of other things I could cover, but I don't want to overwhelm you with information. I know it's not easy to have someone pick your work apart, but hopefully you don't take anything I said the wrong way, and have found it helpful.

As a show of good faith, and to put myself out for critique, I'll post a couple audiobooks I've been working on. Chances are I am well aware of the mistakes I made, and were probably too lazy to fix them, but I'd love to have feedback anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoTcVfTtfKs
^^^
This is a more recent project, and was almost done as an entire cold read. Meaning, I have hardly read any of it before, and was making creative decisions in real time. Obviously meant for comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ykeyyHo6I8
^^^
This is really long, and I don't expect anyone to listen to all of it. You can skip around if you want. This is part of a very lengthy and ongoing project I've been working on for months. I've been using it improve my voice acting skills, and have come a really long way. I've nearly done 3 volumes worth at this point, so this video would be my third audiobook (which is near completion). This is a very difficult read, since the translation is abysmal, and I'm dealing with a lot of awful anime tropes. In case it isn't obvious, this is really poorly written stuff, so just keep in mind that I'm dealing with especially bad source material.

I have been planning to pick up an actual good, public domain book, and use parts of that to help create an audiobook demo in the near future. So critique away.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
That was actually extremely helpful. I now know where I need to focus if I want to not suck. Thank you for the advice.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Is the talent list in the OP up to date? Looking for a female, English voice. Also don't know how much I'd be able to offer for payment/what would be a reasonable fee.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Is the talent list in the OP up to date? Looking for a female, English voice. Also don't know how much I'd be able to offer for payment/what would be a reasonable fee.

Not really, a ton of people dropped out. We can potentially help you with rates but blinkeve's your best bet.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: STEAM KEYS HAVE BEEN SENT TO EVERYONE! :frogsiren:

PM'ed to WarpedNaba & Stinkmeister, emailed to Melanie to distribute to her 3 contributors. They loved everyone's voice so much that they're already in-game. I also sent them the full cast list and they'll be adding everyone soon (it might already be in, idk).

Also, Melanie was nice enough to create the IMDB page for it, so you're all now credited there as well:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4112668/

Project was a success all around! Thanks again to everyone that auditioned.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
This actually sounds really cool, bummer I missed out.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Good stuff.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have any good tips on how to write audition packets for potential actors/actresses? My company is working on putting out an adventure game and we're currently looking to find interested talent. The actual 'doing so' part has sorta fallen on my head, though, and I.... have no idea what I'm doing here.

What we've done so far is create a document that lists out each character with some concept art, notes potential voice inspirations, discusses the character's personality/motivations in brief, and then has a couple of dialog quotes from the character for the auditioning actor to record. Unfortunately this feels like it's not really hitting the mark I want it to in terms of giving those auditioning enough information, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

The hope is to be able to give the document to interested VAs, let them record lines for whatever characters they want to audition for, and then go from there; we do have something of a budget to spend on the process but are hoping to hire some actors to portray multiple roles to cut down on expenditures, hence wanting to be able to send someone all the roles and say "Go nuts, record what you want". But is this really the right way to go about it? Is there something more I can be doing to help the person auditioning understand the role/character more?

As an aside, we/I would love to hire some goons for the game as well, and will post whatever we end up coming up with if it's considered kosher - Again, we don't have a massively *huge* budget or anything, but these will be paying/credited roles and I'd love to hire some folks from here as well. First I just need to figure out how to best garner auditions.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Correnth posted:

Does anyone here have any good tips on how to write audition packets for potential actors/actresses? My company is working on putting out an adventure game and we're currently looking to find interested talent. The actual 'doing so' part has sorta fallen on my head, though, and I.... have no idea what I'm doing here.

What we've done so far is create a document that lists out each character with some concept art, notes potential voice inspirations, discusses the character's personality/motivations in brief, and then has a couple of dialog quotes from the character for the auditioning actor to record. Unfortunately this feels like it's not really hitting the mark I want it to in terms of giving those auditioning enough information, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

The hope is to be able to give the document to interested VAs, let them record lines for whatever characters they want to audition for, and then go from there; we do have something of a budget to spend on the process but are hoping to hire some actors to portray multiple roles to cut down on expenditures, hence wanting to be able to send someone all the roles and say "Go nuts, record what you want". But is this really the right way to go about it? Is there something more I can be doing to help the person auditioning understand the role/character more?

As an aside, we/I would love to hire some goons for the game as well, and will post whatever we end up coming up with if it's considered kosher - Again, we don't have a massively *huge* budget or anything, but these will be paying/credited roles and I'd love to hire some folks from here as well. First I just need to figure out how to best garner auditions.

That should be plenty of information for good actors/actresses to be able to give you a good audition, and about par for the course as far as what to expect for a self-record audition. That said, I do VO casting myself and would be happy to see if what you have is good or can be improved. Shoot me an email at melanie [at] listentomelanie [dot] com and I'll take a look.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

blinkeve1826 posted:

That should be plenty of information for good actors/actresses to be able to give you a good audition, and about par for the course as far as what to expect for a self-record audition. That said, I do VO casting myself and would be happy to see if what you have is good or can be improved. Shoot me an email at melanie [at] listentomelanie [dot] com and I'll take a look.

Email has been sent! Thank you very much for the offer; looking forward to your thoughts. =)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Correnth posted:

Sounds great and I know everyone here would appreciate it. If you look back a few pages, you'll see that I was able to get great auditions out of folks with just a sentence or two of description text. Agreeing with Melanie that what you've already put together is likely plenty.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, it looks like my job will be seeing some downtime soon, certainly wouldn't mind doing some more rounds of VA.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: Lords of Xulima has been officially released! :frogsiren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/

Big thanks again to everyone who contributed. I think it'll be a huge hit; the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/

Big thanks again to everyone who contributed. I think it'll be a huge hit; the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

That's exciting! I'll definitely pick it up when I have some time to play it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Congratulations!

I was cleaning out some stuff the other day and bumped into my signed copy of Valor's Kids. That project still cracks me up.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just so people didn't think I'd disappeared or anything, I know I mentioned posting some character outlines here earlier this week but between some unexpected personal downtime and us in the company nailing down our next steps I've decided to hold off for a bit longer on rounding up vocal talent for our game. I will definitely post in here once we're a bit further along, but truthfully... I need to write more (a lot more) before I can really give potential actors/actresses the sort of line examples that they need.

So yeah - You guys will probably hear from me again soon, I just didn't want anyone to think things were happening otherwise in my absence/silence. Other than me furiously writing, that is. My apologies for the delay!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

I was cleaning out some stuff the other day and bumped into my signed copy of Valor's Kids. That project still cracks me up.

VK is still easily the greatest thing I've ever been a part of and I don't think it'll ever be topped.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Thought I'd give you guys a heads-up, the developers of the XCOM Long War mod are now in the active recruitment stage and they're looking for female voice actors able to give of the impression of Commonwealth soldiers. This includes Australians.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Where do they post that sort of thing?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/2il5pm/lw_call_for_voice_actors/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I asked for Deluxe & Talisman DLC keys for all the actors as well and it looks like I'll be getting them soon. So watch for those in your PM inbox (probably by tomorrow)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
So Haruki Murakami posted an article about Y2K, the game in which I recently voiced one of the main characters, to his Facebook page and 900,000+ Facebook fans this past weekend. That was pretty cool.

Another game I worked on (helped with audio engineering/directing) that a bunch of my students are in is also opening up to remote recording submissions. Check it out: http://technocratgames.blogspot.com/2014/12/give-me-your-mouth-words.html