Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I dunno about the Ameros, but Gondwan probably uses Godwins :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Does it mention in that text if the grey areas are unaffiliated nations or just like...

...gone gone?

I suspect they are just areas that aren't important to the story and thus didn't earn names.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Add you will see the tears of time to the thread title.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So are there just not as many space colonies anymore? Granted, it's been thousands of years, but it still feels strange.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

I suspect they are just areas that aren't important to the story and thus didn't earn names.

Yeah, it's 1,000 years on and everything's looking pretty green and full of life going by the concentration of local easily-surprised wildlife around Capital Tower.

WickedHate posted:

So are there just not as many space colonies anymore? Granted, it's been thousands of years, but it still feels strange.

I was wondering the same thing. From what I read in The Origin there's a couple million people up on the orbital colonies in the Universal Century. Did they get screwed over at some point after the original series in Z/ZZ/Victory/whatever, or are we just not meant to know yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

There are colonies on Venus.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I assume there aren't any, on account of the near extinction level cataclysm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I assume there aren't any, on account of the near extinction level cataclysm.

That said though, there aren't any Operation Britain-sized holes in the continents.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, it's 1,000 years on and everything's looking pretty green and full of life going by the concentration of local easily-surprised wildlife around Capital Tower.

I was thinking more along the lines of having become unsettled over time, with people gravitating towards the established national coalitions, as opposed to being smoking craters in the ground.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That said though, there aren't any Operation Britain-sized holes in the continents.

Maybe they just all hit Australia.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Well, poo poo :negative:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's cool though, it turns out you can still fish in a Colony Drop crater.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I don't know, man. I'd feel kind of bad about that.

Even knowing I didn't drop the colony.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Does it mention in that text if the grey areas are unaffiliated nations or just like...

...gone gone?

Some of the borders are too ruler-straight to be a catastrophe. They're probably just irrelevant.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's South America

It got added to the G-Reco post on GundamGuy just a few days back.
It makes me irrationally angry that Gondwan is pretty much the only place it could be to not be part of Gondwana.

Considering that map seems to have been made with the fill tool in 30 seconds, it's probably not best to take it too seriously. Like, it's probably more like, "Ameria dominates North America, while the Capital territory is just the northern portion of South America" or something, and someone writing that article went wild with the paint bucket. The straight lines are probably laziness, rather than a hint at some point of history.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
I thought in Turn A, it was mentioned that the space colonies left the Sol System due to the Earth being damaged to horrible extents.

Perhaps that would explain the lack of space colonies?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Didn't old man Judau eventually leave on one of the space-colonies-turned-generation-ships sometime after Victory? In one of those dodgy sidestory manga.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Didn't old man Judau eventually leave on one of the space-colonies-turned-generation-ships sometime after Victory? In one of those dodgy sidestory manga.

He left with an entire colony of newtypes.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
That is the weirdest map of Australia I've ever seen. Is that from a particular show, the image specificly? The nullabor looks like a river basin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Erd posted:

That is the weirdest map of Australia I've ever seen. Is that from a particular show, the image specificly? The nullabor looks like a river basin.

Australia got Colony Drop'd in the original Gundam series, as seen in it's opening.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's from a one year war "Photojournal". I think it was done by the artist for war in the pocket, as it showcases some of those characters and the art style is the same. Pretty cool book if you can find it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since it's mentioned that the UC ended with mankind nearly being wiped out I'm just assuming that like usual some jerk decided to drop a lot of colonies and that's why we haven't seen any yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

It's from a one year war "Photojournal". I think it was done by the artist for war in the pocket, as it showcases some of those characters and the art style is the same. Pretty cool book if you can find it.

It's MS ERA, it's an incredibly good book if you can find the 1st edition, since the captions were originally in english. It fills in a ton of background of the world but I'm also a sucker for photojournal stuff in general.

They even give short histories of each photographer who took each photo. Some were killed, some went missing, some were broken by the experience. It's a very thorough book.

If they ever go back to UC it's the only idea I think I would be receptive to, instead of another rehash with similar themes and plot, do a story about the war photographers who were travelling around.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Obviously various Char clones over the decades and centuries have simply used up the stock of available colonies in ill-advised drop bombardments on the Earth, only to be foiled by various, nameless Gundam protagonists over the years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

No-one would miss Canberra or Sydney anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Obviously various Char clones over the decades and centuries have simply used up the stock of available colonies in ill-advised drop bombardments on the Earth, only to be foiled by various, nameless Gundam protagonists over the years.

Nameless? I'm sure they all had perfectly good man's names.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Caught up on everything. I really enjoy this show, but I'm confused by a good amount of it. I expect it to be explained eventually, but when they throw out random terms like kuntala without any explanation I feel like I missed something.

Anyway, love the animation and characters, can't wait to see how the team forms up.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Erd posted:

I want to live on that Australia, much less desert!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erd posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the way Australia looks in that map is the result of the colony that got dropped onto Sydney (aka, Operation British). I mean, aside from the gaping hole in the place of Sydney, that is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I've got to say, this show's OP is pretty dang great. I haven't seen so much concentrated 80s in a while

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Hey, thanks, this is a good post.

The rotary phones still bug me though because they're just so utterly user unfriendly. I mean, same kind of "analog" technology would be attainable with actual digital keys, right? But yeah, it wouldn't be so apparent that the technology is "scaled back" if they are indeed old-fashioned for the sake of "minovsky particles". And I suppose a good amount of why they are rotary phones is establishing the setting and the tone of the world.

I mean, bipedal vehicles too are kind of unintuitive, but at least they're animated and presented in a manner that makes them actually superbly useful in this setting.
edit: I forgot that mechas too are bipedal robots. :cripes: I meant the small ones used for traveling.

That's what I was basically saying in a wordy manner.
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 15, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It might just be a style thing, dude. :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The great thing is, if they've been relying on taboo for defense like that genius ace said, style is a really serious thing. If people imagine rotary phones to be more classy or refined than other designs, then the Capital has good reason to use them. They want to create the impression of being an eternal institution, full of ancient knowledge and sophistication. That's not to say the capital expects foreigners to be looking at their phones, but they've got to live that kind of style to help create that kind of impression.

That said, as fun as it is to come up for justifications for these things, a lot of it is just Tomino being Tomino.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Eiba posted:

That said, as fun as it is to come up for justifications for these things, a lot of it is just Tomino being Tomino.

Does he still insist on calling it New Yark?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I appreciate that the only decoration in Mom's study is a mounted hippo head.

Really classes the place up.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hey, she's also got some gold coin things on the walls. ...possibly stolen from the ancient set of Legends of the Hidden Temple:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

Hey, she's also got some gold coin things on the walls. ...possibly stolen from the ancient set of Legends of the Hidden Temple:

Well duh, there's obviously a temple guard hiding in the hippo head waiting to grab you when you try to climb through into the next room :pseudo:. A senior officer's gotta be prepared for anything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

My favorite thing about the hippo is that there's actually a reason you might have wild hippos in northern South America.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

My favorite thing about the hippo is that there's actually a reason you might have wild hippos in northern South America.

Nobody knows how many there are. The local environmental authority, which bears responsibility for them, estimates between 50 and 60, with most living in the lake at the park. But 12 are known to have paddled past the flimsy fence and into the nearby Magdalena River - and maybe many more.

Haha sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hippos are loving terrifying.

• Locked thread