Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I saw that Mashers and Eridians were back in the game, so I couldn't resist getting the game. I'll post some impressions once I get some time into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Seriously what the gently caress are these buggies, how do I make jumps with them

edit: And whose bright idea was it to have the NPCs start talking as you hit a jump? Now I'm never going to hear whatever she was going to say

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Seriously what the gently caress are these buggies, how do I make jumps with them

You need to be at maximum speed and using the boost and you can just make the jumps. The buggy mechanics are pretty a bad, a blemish on and otherwise good game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So far I'm mostly enjoying this game, but I really don't understand the point of the oxygen helmet poo poo. You get oxygen canisters in Combat, so it's not a factor at there. It just serves as a means to make me go out of my way while walking around? And also how do fire and explosion damages work in a oxygen-less environment :colbert:

But seriously though, is there no autowalk in this game? I don't see it in the keybindings

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Athena's Kinetic Aspis apparently has a 16s cooldown, so she's probably going to end up like Maya, which is fine, and Nisha has Order stacks and the lash; I'm more worried about Wilhelm and Claptrap ending up boring.

So far Claptrap is a lot of things but I wouldn't call his class 'boring.' At least, not if you take the red tree that obliges you to be constantly changing your weapon and play style according to what is receiving bonuses right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Companion Cube posted:

So far Claptrap is a lot of things but I wouldn't call his class 'boring.' At least, not if you take the red tree that obliges you to be constantly changing your weapon and play style according to what is receiving bonuses right now.

Yeah, I checked out his skill tree since it's in full on the wiki and it seems like he has a good set of abilities outside of his class skill that would make him interesting to play, so that's good.

Unless Wilhelm has a stack mechanic you need to manage like Anarchy was for Gaige, I can't imagine him being very interesting to play due to his class skill being a summon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Everybody has a stack mechanic of some sort available.

Wilheim actually has some interesting skills outside of the summons. Like one that turns him into a death machine during fight for your life and one that gives him homing rockets when his shield goes down.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game is significantly more difficult on the first playthrough than BL2 but I am really liking it that way, except one thing. In BL2 by the time you hit TVHM you had some decent gear and a lot of skill points. This game starts at TVHM difficulty, except you're armed with poo poo and have no skill points.

Bugger

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
since my computer died I'm thinking about picking this up on ps3. How does it play/run? better than bl2?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
So, uh, apparently the game can randomly rob your character of important items, like moonstone and weapons and poo poo, for no reason and without any notice. I had a mild case when my coop partner and I returned to go unlock some upgrades at the black market. As we were collecting moonstone, we had been sharing all of it, but when we went to spend it, my lady had about 60 and mine were all gone. I don't know what happened to those moonstones; they probably flew into space along with all that ammo I didn't loot in time. Still though, in a game all about picking poo poo up you'd think they'd let you keep it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dropped from some badass guy during a main story mission. With this you throw a grenade and it has a random element attack.

I think I encountered a nasty bug. During the part where you go to a big crashlanded ship my character started to move insanely slow. Jumping had the same movement speed still so didn't spend much time on the floor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/MAvuA3f.png

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Sab669 posted:

And also how do fire and explosion damages work in a oxygen-less environment :colbert:

Torgue weapons use concentrated awesomeness as explosive material, and it doesn't need weak poo poo like oxygen to explode :colbert:

Regarding fire - well, I got nothing...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Xbox 360: KKK3J-T66J3-FZH3X-KFJJ3-JSF6R
PlayStation 3: KKK3J-T66R6-HTF5T-SBKJ3-JSFRJ

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Regarding fire - well, I got nothing...

I thought I heard fire doesn't proc in a vacuum.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Is anyone else unable to connect to Gearbox Shift blah blah blah? It's keeping me from plugging in this preorder shift code.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I'll be picking this up later today, had it pre-ordered last month. Was watching a bit of a walkthrough, and I loved how if you choose Claptrap the game goes through three different "are you sure?" screens

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Really enjoying it so far.

"Some people think robots don't feel pain... in fact, we feel pain in slow motion and with extreme intensity!"

God I love the sense of humour in Borderlands.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still am enjoying myself overall, but I guess I would not be so hard on it if it's base price were a bit cheaper. Like, around $40, 50 tops.

I really am looking forward to getting far enough into Nishas Law and Order tree to play her like a more shooty Kreig

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 14, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The space missions own so far and ...

lol deadlift jesus

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I love all the laser weapons. Wilhelm has a skill that greatly ups the damage and magsize of em too.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I love all the laser weapons.

Mr. Torgue would disagree with you.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ScottyBomb posted:

Mr. Torgue would disagree with you.

Hopefully he will be inspired and make a gun that shoots a beam of pure explosion for BL3.

I've only played about two hours so far but it does feel a little off and less good than BL2 for me. But that's exactly how BL2 felt compared to BL1 when I first played it, so here's hoping for the turnaround that I got before.

So far my biggest gripe though is the sterile environments. Like yeah, I get that it's on the moon and poo poo but maybe don't put the game on the moon if you're not going to come up with creative ways to show us diverse environments.

Also platforming in FPSs is the dumbest loving thing.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Jibo posted:

Also platforming in FPSs is the dumbest loving thing.

I normally agree with you there, but the moon gravity and oxygen boost have made it a strangely enjoyable adventure to bounce around everywhere. Even missing tends to lead more to laughter than frustration.

Speaking of moon jumping (level 10ish spoilers) the slam dunk contest is goddamned hilarious.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So I haven't read the whole thread yet but it looks like I'm going to be pretty much locked in to maining Nisha for the same reason I mained Salvador in 2; their active skills were the only ones that scaled with gear and thus maintained relevance into endgame.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
For those of you (like me) waiting on our free PAX codes, they're gonna start being sent out at 10 AM PDT.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Yeah mark me down as a fan of the verticality.

Borderlands 2 didn't impress me too much for some reason, but so far Borderlands:TPS has managed to charm me. It feels like a much better bridge between BL1 and BL2, starting off with an opening cutscene that came right out of BL1 and subsequently, blasting off to space.

The space goons are a lot of fun to fight and it feels like critical hits are more rewarding again.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Dross posted:

So I haven't read the whole thread yet but it looks like I'm going to be pretty much locked in to maining Nisha for the same reason I mained Salvador in 2; their active skills were the only ones that scaled with gear and thus maintained relevance into endgame.

You'll also be rewarded with her snarky, deadpan sadomasochism!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Sab669 posted:

Xbox 360: KKK3J-T66J3-FZH3X-KFJJ3-JSF6R
PlayStation 3: KKK3J-T66R6-HTF5T-SBKJ3-JSFRJ

pc KKK3J-T66R5-BXC3T-JBJJ3-JSF9T

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Dross posted:

I think Athena's active will scale well into endgame. It's invulnerability for a period of time, which is always good, and the damage the shield does is based on how much was blocked, so if endgame mobs are dishing out 1m+ dps, the shield (should) reflect that.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Worst intro song/cinematic, and thus worst borderlands game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Worst intro song/cinematic, and thus worst borderlands game.

Definitely the worst intro, but the Ozymandias trailer makes up for it

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Whoever decided that Deadlift was a well designed fight should be fired.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Deadlift is fine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

So I'm guessing that Deadlift is the new Sledge.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Could someone with the 360 version tell me the install size? I have a launch 360 with maybe 3.xGB left but have nothing to delete.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking like they made this a more of a vertical shooter. Its also more like an expansion pack than a new game. Deadlift was a joke, follow him around in till he goes to recharge and then blast him. Watch and see the borderlands crowd got to old for the game, with all the complaints. From what I've seen its still the same game.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Y'know the best part of the low gravity? Killing a badass and watching drops pop out of them, fly across the map and into death pits. :rolleyes:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Sab669 posted:

And also how do fire and explosion damages work in a oxygen-less environment :colbert:

I shouldn't answer this because its the worst kind of question but: vacuum and not changes the impact of some weapons, lasers set people on fire in oxygen but don't in vacuum... which is kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
The Deadlift fight was a bit troublesome, but I think it's supposed to hammer home the vertical movement part. I just thought of it as an extended tutorial in fighting while flying.

• Locked thread