Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

So what do you think the chances are someone is dead because of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Missed opportunity: "This is why Big Pharma had all those warning icons put on the bottle!"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Marley Wants More posted:

Ha, the joke's on you. Without Facebook you probably have no idea that injecting bleach into your veins will keep you immune from Ebola. Don't blame us when you get sick, I'm just sayin'....

Anything written in Comic Sans seriously makes me laugh. It's joke font and a drat funny one at that.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lblitzer posted:

Anything written in Comic Sans seriously makes me laugh. It's joke font and a drat funny one at that.

You should check out BYOB for endless laughs!

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Chomp8645 posted:

So what do you think the chances are someone is dead because of this?

Just a matter of time, really.

Lblitzer posted:

I'd like to think everyone will recognize it as a joke because of its absurdity and the font, but I just don't have that kind of faith in people anymore. It bottomed out when I saw my first resume' printed in Mistral.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'd like to think everyone will recognize it as a joke because of its absurdity and the font, but I just don't have that kind of faith in people anymore. It bottomed out when I saw my first resume' printed in Mistral.

For me, it bottomed out when children started dying because of anti-vaxxers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ha, the joke's on you. Without Facebook you probably have no idea that injecting bleach into your veins will keep you immune from Ebola. Don't blame us when you get sick, I'm just sayin'....

I REALLY want to share this on my FB now, since its an obvious joke, but the potential for harm is so much worse than the usual "use a magnet to clean your computer" ones I just can't bring myself to.

I'm not that mean spirited.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

It's probably already a matter of negative time: Now - (time that image was first shared + 5 minutes)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

RFC2324 posted:

I REALLY want to share this on my FB now, since its an obvious joke, but the potential for harm is so much worse than the usual "use a magnet to clean your computer" ones I just can't bring myself to.

I'm not that mean spirited.

Wasn't there a similar macro about mixing ammonia and bleach?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Why, just tag it as satire!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A relative's Facebook feed consists almost entirely of touch-feely share-this-if-you-don't-like-bad-things clickbait images. This is the latest, and probably worst:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Stoatbringer posted:

A relative's Facebook feed consists almost entirely of touch-feely share-this-if-you-don't-like-bad-things clickbait images. This is the latest, and probably worst:

I'm going to beat the next three children I see just to make sure balance is maintained.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Stoatbringer posted:

I wish graphic design was a requirement for getting on the internet.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

This is the second time someone's posted something with this exact line of thinking and it's still just as dumb. Why would they quarantine us into death camps if we're already gonna die? Wouldn't it just be easier to let nature run its course?

Cleanup would be easier I imagine, just bulldoze the whole camp into a big hole.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I'm going to beat the next three children I see just to make sure balance is maintained.

And kick some puppies, just for good measure.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Bored posted:

And kick some puppies, just for good measure.

Since I posted that, I kicked a kid onto a puppy. They both squealed.

Edit: vv No need for that. I apologize.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Oct 14, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Centripetal Horse posted:

Oh hey maddox.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

What is with the sudden goon obsession with maddox? Wasn't he old and boring years ago?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The '90s are in again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Careful of huge

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

RareAcumen posted:

Careful of huge

This is funny because gamergate proves that there is a rampant misogyny problem in "gamer" culture.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RareAcumen posted:

Careful of huge

remember, if someone says a bad thing about a thing that isn't true, then every other bad thing people say about that thing must also be untrue. Sorta a double jeopardy thing

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All this image does is make me wonder if the VIDEO GAMES MAKE EVIL people weren't maybe on to something, just not like they thought.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

RareAcumen posted:

Careful of huge

This whole GamerGate fiasco makes me want to look back at the Jack Thompson thing and see if maybe the gaming side was acting just as childish and petulant. I remember my friend, who isn't a gamer, saying she saw him speak and he was reasonably level headed. I also remember the CAD comic that ended with "don't gently caress with us."

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Stoatbringer posted:

I remember a similar thing a few years back that was "Change your profile picture to a cartoon character to make a stand against child abuse". My aunt changed her profile picture to Bagpuss and one of her friends was really cross with her because Bagpuss wasn't a cartoon.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stottie Kyek posted:

I remember a similar thing a few years back that was "Change your profile picture to a cartoon character to make a stand against child abuse". My aunt changed her profile picture to Bagpuss and one of her friends was really cross with her because Bagpuss wasn't a cartoon.

I changed mine to Homer choking Bart and was told I was undermining awareness of child abuse because I wasn't taking it seriously. Which in turn became a catchphrase at the foster care agency where I worked.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Militree posted:

This whole GamerGate fiasco makes me want to look back at the Jack Thompson thing and see if maybe the gaming side was acting just as childish and petulant. I remember my friend, who isn't a gamer, saying she saw him speak and he was reasonably level headed. I also remember the CAD comic that ended with "don't gently caress with us."

I'm trying to recall the particular comic you're referring to, but I'm at a loss.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm trying to recall the particular comic you're referring to, but I'm at a loss.

:vince:

No idea which one that was, but looking for it turned up a PA that's pretty much "CRITICS OF VIDYA GAMES :argh:"

They really didn't like Roger Ebert apparently.

E: vvv wow, that is confrontational.

Tardigrade has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Oct 14, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Very nice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tardigrade posted:

Ebert pissed a lot of gamers off when he said that video games weren't art. Even though he said that he might've been too hasty in his assertion, even though he actually did plenty to undrstand the issue, and even though he's got decades worth of work as a critic that was both taken very seriously by the film industry and who really revolutionized reviews as a medium (to the point where even most big video game reviewers cite him as an inspiration), gamers were dead-set on only remembering him as 'the old bastard that hates our video games'.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tardigrade posted:

e: f,b

Years ago, Roger Ebert declared that video games were not and could never be art. Lots of people lost their poo poo over his statement for various reasons. I didn't really get why there was so much rage--it's not like this one film critic shut down all the video games everywhere, all at once with a single sentence or something. Friends of mine were foaming at the mouth about it, and no amount of my saying "dude you can still think Shadow of the Colossus is art" could dissuade them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cleretic posted:

Ebert pissed a lot of gamers off when he said that video games weren't art. Even though he said that he might've been too hasty in his assertion, even though he actually did plenty to undrstand the issue, and even though he's got decades worth of work as a critic that was both taken very seriously by the film industry and who really revolutionized reviews as a medium (to the point where even most big video game reviewers cite him as an inspiration), gamers were dead-set on only remembering him as 'the old bastard that hates our video games'.

Honestly I don't disagree with him for the most part, at least with his initial statement. Most games aren't art.

Most mediums have a commercial side and an artistic side, that's how I look at it. Ico? I'd call that art. Madden roster update 2015? No, not art. Catcher in the Rye? Yes, absolutely art. Janet Evanovich's latest number pun? Nah, not really.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I was just glad that Ebert could use the same introspection on his medium of choice, and didn't just hand wave away his 'games aren't art' routine when things like Transformers comes along.

Oh wait, no, he loved that piece of poo poo high art.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Stalin McHitler posted:

Post about Gamergate at your own risk.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

SybilVimes posted:

I was just glad that Ebert could use the same introspection on his medium of choice, and didn't just hand wave away his 'games aren't art' routine when things like Transformers comes along.

Oh wait, no, he loved that piece of poo poo high art.

Let's be fair: he never argued that Transformers was art, only that it was a fun, reasonably well-made action movie that would appeal to its target demographic. And his reviews of the sequels gave them much lower ratings.

Roger Ebert on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen posted:

The movie has been signed by Michael Bay. This is the same man who directed "The Rock" in 1996. Now he has made "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Faust made a better deal. This isn't a film so much as a toy tie-in.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Whether something is or isn't art is an undefinable line and it's an almost meaningless label. Whether something is or isn't art has no bearing on if that thing is good or bad, or has any worth. It's a silly and pointless debate.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Gamers want the "art" label applied because they think it lends some indiscernible credibility to the medium. It's something that some of them can use to deflect criticism when someone points out that their tastes are kind of base and unsophisticated. They want the illusion of being high culture. It's the same reason you see so many fedoras, really.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Master Twig posted:

Whether something is or isn't art is an undefinable line and it's an almost meaningless label. Whether something is or isn't art has no bearing on if that thing is good or bad, or has any worth. It's a silly and pointless debate.

Also when professional critics criticize games as if they were art gamers lose their poo poo so I'm not sure why anyone cares one way or the other if games are art or not

E: beaten in a better worded way by the guy above me I should go dunk my head in a toilet or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Video games can be art, but most games trying to be art are the sort of independent games that the gamergate crowd is denigrating.

• Locked thread