Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

En Fuego posted:

You wanna hear some stupid poo poo regarding Rhino? I watched on camera at WA States (Shotgun Lotus did the coverage) where there was a 4c Esper control. The splash? Rhino.

Esper Rhino is what they called it.

WHAT

And it was at like 4-1-1 or 5-0-1 or something crazy when I was watching.

Woah, woah, woah.

This. This is my loving jam. Has anybody seen a list, or know where I could possibly find this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I Love You! posted:

FIXED, i rule. Now you can watch me flood mana and get punched in the face by infect!

That deck looks retarded. I don't even think it's close to an optimal configuration but having ancestral recall takes it from a mediocre deck to crushing the best stuff in the format.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

bhsman posted:

Now I'm curious. Where did this happen?
It was on I Love You's stream, http://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator. It was particularily funny because the restore balance player was horrible. They restore balanced away their own geist of saint traft when the geist was going to attack for lethal next turn. And they did it just to get rid of two lands, which wouldn't have been enough mana to kill them with burn spells anyways.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah that was pretty rough looking. Especially watching I Love You draw like 20 cards and see a single land.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just watched Modogrinder1 on twitch get his rear end handed to him by a 5 color deck with Knuckleblade, Rattleclaw Mystic, Pearl Lake Ancient, Kheru Lich Lord, Abzan Ascendancy, and Flying Crane Technique - to go along with Dead Drop, Bear's Companion, and many other gems.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Imagine the fear in the Goyfbuyer's heart when theor opponent makes their really awesome 6/7 a 3/4 and all he did was draw 3. :getin:

You seem to be under the impression that goyf using decks (G/B especially) lack the means to pump a goyf to 6/7 with their own graveyards.

Cruise is also notably not an instant.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Haven't seen a deck running yet in the dailies. I don't know if merfolk pitches enough cards to make it worthwhile.

I've been happy with it in Merfolk as a 1-2 of because my yard is always full of dead lords and silvergills. Dig Through Time would probably be better in the monoU version but I'm currently on UW.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zoness posted:

You seem to be under the impression that goyf using decks (G/B especially) lack the means to pump a goyf to 6/7 with their own graveyards.

Cruise is also notably not an instant.

as it turns out, goyf decks also play cards

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RME posted:

as it turns out, goyf decks also play cards

Nah man it's gonna go full circle where we go back to playing tribal cards to pump our goyfs because of the looming threat of graveyard hate.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zoness posted:

Nah man it's gonna go full circle where we go back to playing tribal cards to pump our goyfs because of the looming threat of graveyard hate.

lock it up in a cage and let it rest in peace; a relic of a forgotten age

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Didn't Bitterblossom see some play in modern partly due to that?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, but Tarfire did.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Toshimo posted:

No, but Tarfire did.

And Nameless Inversion. It even got a textless version because of how much it saw play!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Guys, this is awesome and adorable.

A former Pro Tour player goes into teaching. He teaches an after-school class for Magic. He asks Wizards if he can let some kids from his class spectate.

Wizards rolls out the red carpet for them.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zemyla posted:

Guys, this is awesome and adorable.

A former Pro Tour player goes into teaching. He teaches an after-school class for Magic. He asks Wizards if he can let some kids from his class spectate.

Wizards rolls out the red carpet for them.

What is this warm, cloying feeling in my cold black grog heart?

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

TheKingofSprings posted:

People were running Seal of Fire in certain Goyf decks early into the life of Modern. Courser didn't exist, and Blossom was still banned.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

It's truly a crime that Thoughtseize wasn't a Tribal Sorcery- Faerie

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zoness posted:

My favorite moment of last week's local legacy night was when an opponent on Huang's UR Delver list cast Treasure Cruise, recounted card types in our yards, and realized his TC had actually made my Goyf bigger.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just watched Modogrinder1 on twitch get his rear end handed to him by a 5 color deck with Knuckleblade, Rattleclaw Mystic, Pearl Lake Ancient, Kheru Lich Lord, Abzan Ascendancy, and Flying Crane Technique - to go along with Dead Drop, Bear's Companion, and many other gems.

5 color rares is definitely a thing. Just pick bombs, then fixing, then removal, and go to town in packs 2 and 3 when people are passing clan cards because they're not in the correct 3 colors.

Also Modogrinder - his actual name is Noah - is awesome and pretty much the only magic streamer I watch. He never double queues and is crazy about explaining the logic behind every pick or play he makes. Well worth watching to get better.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Khans limited is pretty ridiculous right now online. I threw 20 tix at it a week ago to see how far it would get me.

I'm at 137 right now, plus 39 boosters.

May it never stop.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Khans limited is insanely fun. I always end up with a giant pile of playables too, which is really nice.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
When do you buy list your cards? At what spread do you hold/trade/eBay/buylist? Do legacy/modern/edh playables get different considerations, what about price point?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

Khans limited is insanely fun. I always end up with a giant pile of playables too, which is really nice.

Yeah, I have yet to have the experience of having to begrudgingly run junk for cards 22 and 23, even in a format where I'm often spending a bunch of picks on lands. Set is just full to the brim with playables. In a pinch you could always run an off-color morph as a Gray Ogre, but I've never had to reach that far.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

tirinal posted:

Khans limited is pretty ridiculous right now online. I threw 20 tix at it a week ago to see how far it would get me.

I'm at 137 right now, plus 39 boosters.

May it never stop.

8-4's?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So in Jeskai Wins mirrors (which is all i seem to be losing to) I really really want Brimaz instead of Rabblemaster but I feel like thats wrong against everything else in the format...

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Toshimo posted:

No, but Tarfire did.

There's a guy at the club I'm at who runs tarfire in legacy goblins, it turns out running that with Wort, Boggart Auntie is some real nice repeatable removal, esp. against Delver.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Yeah. The EV is good enough and the abzan durdlers are bad enough that it's a pretty easy net gain right now, especially compared to the doldrums of Theros 8-4.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

So in Jeskai Wins mirrors (which is all i seem to be losing to) I really really want Brimaz instead of Rabblemaster but I feel like thats wrong against everything else in the format...

Rabblemaster is a faster clock if unopposed, but Brimaz having 4 toughness is huge. I think the main strike against him though is the double white in the mana cost in a three-color deck that really wants to be able to slam him down on turn 3.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Try Satyr Firedancer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Rabblemaster is a faster clock if unopposed, but Brimaz having 4 toughness is huge. I think the main strike against him though is the double white in the mana cost in a three-color deck that really wants to be able to slam him down on turn 3.

The mana is pretty good. It's just that the 4 toughness is only relevant against decks that don't have hard removal and are killing stuff with lightning strikes/magma jets which is exactly what Jeskai does. Rabblemaster is just the better card but it's horrible against Magma Jet which is a 4 of in Jeskai.

suicidesteve posted:

Try Satyr Firedancer.

Vs the mirror? Why?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

The mana is pretty good. It's just that the 4 toughness is only relevant against decks that don't have hard removal and are killing stuff with lightning strikes/magma jets which is exactly what Jeskai does. Rabblemaster is just the better card but it's horrible against Magma Jet which is a 4 of in Jeskai.

The mana isn't that great that two white is no big deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

The mana isn't that great that two white is no big deal.

You're playing 14 white sources. That makes a T3 double white very reasonable. The issue is more that the best card in the mirror is worse vs everything else.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Vs the mirror? Why?

Turns all of your player directed burn into creature burn too. Jeskai Charm can suddenly eliminate Mantis Rider, for example.

I don't know how well that would work though, I've been mostly sticking to Abzan since I have all the cards to do that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ramos posted:

Turns all of your player directed burn into creature burn too. Jeskai Charm can suddenly eliminate Mantis Rider, for example.

I don't know how well that would work though, I've been mostly sticking to Abzan since I have all the cards to do that.

Yeah i know what it does but it doesn't seem better than Seeker which can be pretty annoying to deal with in the mirror because of prowess...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yeah i know what it does but it doesn't seem better than Seeker which can be pretty annoying to deal with in the mirror because of prowess...

Well, if Jeskai Wins is your biggest problem, it could help you to turn into a full on control deck against it post board, which can help set the pace in your favor

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ramos posted:

Well, if Jeskai Wins is your biggest problem, it could help you to turn into a full on control deck against it post board, which can help set the pace in your favor

That's pretty much what i've been doing. I'm already playing two anger main board and I go to 4 after board. I bring in 2 negate, 1-3 strokes and 2 deflecting palm, cutting the Rabblemasters. Suspention Field is something I'm thinking about in the board against the mirror to deal with Brimaz. Ben Stark actually had 3 Brimaz in his SB that I assume he used vs the mirror. Yuuya Watanabe plays 4 Rabblemasters AND 3 Brimaz Mainboard which seems strong.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 14, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

You're playing 14 white sources. That makes a T3 double white very reasonable. The issue is more that the best card in the mirror is worse vs everything else.

60% really isn't "very reasonable", to be honest.

e: It's about the same odds as getting 3 land on turn 3 in your 19 land deck. There's a reason you run more than 19 lands in decks that want to be casting 3 drops reliably.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 14, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

60% really isn't "very reasonable", to be honest.

If you're playing a 2 color deck do you really have much more than 60% sources of one of the colors in a format where you can't fetch for a dual land? I've never really had mana problems playing the deck.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 14, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Maybe I've been unlucky or just drafting like poo poo, but KTK drafting just hasn't worked out for me lately. I can find sweet bombs pack 1 and 2 only to never see them and get overrun by the one guy who got four Mystics of the Hidden Way (none of which went past me), or draft an aggressive deck and lose match 1 to the one guy who decided to draft a million walls because all my removal has sublimated to the bottom of the deck somehow. Maybe I just need to reconsider my picks. Any suggestions here? I'm tired of getting 20 minutes of playtime out of my tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

If you're playing a 2 color deck do you really have much more than 60% sources of one of the colors in a format where you can't fetch for a dual land?

If you're wanting to cast CC spells in both colours early? Absolutely.

Last season's UW control, which wanted WW on turn 4 (not turn 3) for Supreme Verdict, was playing 17 white sources. And that's with all the card drawing the deck had to help find those cards on time. GW aggro was playing 16-17 white sources for Ajani and Advent of the Wurm, and everyone knew that was a deck with bad mana. You will lose to not being able to cast your spells with only 14 sources.

• Locked thread