Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This video package from the sambo worlds is rad as all goddamn hell:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=643149825738381

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This video package from the sambo worlds is rad as all goddamn hell:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=643149825738381

Sambo dudes don't gently caress around.......WOW!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

at :41 whats that rolling sweep called. Looks pretty boss.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaz2k21 posted:

Sambo dudes don't gently caress around.......WOW!

drat, I had no idea that sambo incorporated striking. I figure it's probably not intentional but a some of the throws in the video end up dropping the dude right on their head. :stare:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

at :41 whats that rolling sweep called. Looks pretty boss.

I'm sure there's some Russian word for it but it's basically a rolling kneebar entrance.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat, I had no idea that sambo incorporated striking. I figure it's probably not intentional but a some of the throws in the video end up dropping the dude right on their head. :stare:

Really? Given all the knees and overhands I assumed they were going for a throwing KO.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

There's a sport called combat sambo, distinct from regular sport sambo, where there's striking and they're wearing the headgear/gloves/shinguards. It can be a little confusing because the combatives/self-defense aspect of sambo is also called 'combat sambo'.

A lot of successful sambo fighters in MMA like Fedor, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Magomedrasul Khasbulaev were really combat sambo guys.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 13, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sambo good

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A lot of those head drops are due to the throw-ee trying to go belly down during the throw so the throw is worth fewer points and they don't get pinned rather than breakfalling properly.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I still get a rash when someone says Fedor "really wasn't that good".

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Novum posted:

Sambo good

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ligur posted:

I still get a rash when someone says Fedor "really wasn't that good".

I like to imagine if you say this in front of a mirror he comes out of it and suplexes you directly to hell. Didn't Fedor basically invent modern ground and pound?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know a ton about serious MMA guys but from the little I do know, Fedor is definitely one of my favorites. He's just so... emotionless. He kicks some guys rear end and is just like, "Yeah whatever. I won. Part of the job." I even looked up online how to make a perfect Fedor looking dude in UFC Undisputed 3. :3:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got a sweet throw on Mechafunkzilla :getin:

when he was distracted and going super light on me

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I like to imagine if you say this in front of a mirror he comes out of it and suplexes you directly to hell. Didn't Fedor basically invent modern ground and pound?

No that's Mark Coleman. Fedor was really good though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

I got a sweet throw on Mechafunkzilla :getin:

when he was distracted and going super light on me

:manning:

I got you back with a foot sweep TKO though :v:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah you sure did! That was a really bad fall on my part. Pretty much straight onto my back. I'll get you next time!! :bahgawd:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yeah you sure did! That was a really bad fall on my part. Pretty much straight onto my back. I'll get you next time!! :bahgawd:

That's actually how you want to fall, you just don't want to be breathing in when you land...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Dangersim posted:

No that's Mark Coleman. Fedor was really good though.

I mean baiting submissions in order to land bigger hits, using punches as he passes, stuff like that. Fedor's was a level above Coleman's.

edit: I should've said "revolutionize"

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 14, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I keep hearing that Putin has a black belt in judo. How legit is that?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

I keep hearing that Putin has a black belt in judo. How legit is that?

Pretty legit, a black belt in judo just means 1st dan. It's not like BJJ where a black belt means you're world class.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm stealing a joke from cracked here, but apparently he's renowned for his harai goshi, which makes him the only world leader with a special move.

Hasn't he got experience in sambo too? His martial credentials sound very solid.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Our college library had his book on judo. So he wrote a book on judo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm stealing a joke from cracked here, but apparently he's renowned for his harai goshi, which makes him the only world leader with a special move.

Hasn't he got experience in sambo too? His martial credentials sound very solid.

In Russia they're pretty closely related, lots of Olympic judoka and world-class sambo competitors train together and come out of the same gyms. FIAS sport sambo rules are reaaaaally close to judo.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just what I wanted to hear. The PM of Australia has said he is going to shirtfront Putin, and I have a hankering to see Abbott smacked down.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty legit, a black belt in judo just means 1st dan. It's not like BJJ where a black belt means you're world class.

He got 6th dan, although a couple of those dans might be honorary. He also got 6th dan in Kyokushin,which I think is completely honorary ranks.
I also seem to remember him recently getting a honorary TKD rank..

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Putin is legit judoka and sambo dude for sure. He won "Master of Sports" for both in the 70s which I understand is like the national champion of the Soviet Union.

We got a Russian judo club practicing on the next mat in our shared gym and they do sambo too. As a judo white belt all the difference I see is the pants. Their coach looks legit as hell. Grey hair. Buff. Russian. :v:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
MMA is kind on an continuation of BJJ just as combat sambo is an continuation of judo/sport sambo. MMA has a huge focus on ground fighting whil combat sambo holds the mentality of stand-up wrestling being the most important part: you don't get points from strikes, you only win via ko with punches and kicks and most of the points come from throws. If you throw the opponent while staying up on your feet, you get a total victory/ippon and you win instantly. If you get to the ground with your opponent, you only have a couple of seconds to do something before you are told to get up again. You also can't win via a pin, you only get limited amount of points from it, you either need a submission, total victory throw or a ko.

Judo now is more like greco-roman wrestling where sambo is more freestyle wrestling. Both are fun but training with both rulesets makes you a more complete grappler.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How many of you practice daily or almost daily, like six times a week? I've been building up my conditioning via running and calisthenics besides grappling and while earlier this year I could only practice consecutively for three days, now I can go six days without a break day, but I'd still like to get up to eight or nine days. I hate waking up and realizing I should take a day off when I'd really like to practice.

Did it take long for achieving the fitness for constant parctice and how did you guys do it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many of you practice daily or almost daily, like six times a week? I've been building up my conditioning via running and calisthenics besides grappling and while earlier this year I could only practice consecutively for three days, now I can go six days without a break day, but I'd still like to get up to eight or nine days. I hate waking up and realizing I should take a day off when I'd really like to practice.

Did it take long for achieving the fitness for constant parctice and how did you guys do it?

You should honestly give yourself a rest day each week no matter what your fitness level is.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You should honestly give yourself a rest day each week no matter what your fitness level is.

This.

If I wasn't doing weight lifting I would only do BJJ 3-4 days a week. An hour of BJJ is much more strenuous on my body than a similar hour of weightlifting.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just wondering how the pros do it. I know they have all the physical therapists and nutritionists and massages in the world available to them, but still, motherfuckers train three times a day and apparently a off-day means only one or two practice sessions. I'd liketo be able to do at least part of that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just wondering how the pros do it. I know they have all the physical therapists and nutritionists and massages in the world available to them, but still, motherfuckers train three times a day and apparently a off-day means only one or two practice sessions. I'd liketo be able to do at least part of that.

The professionals also don't care if their bodies are completely destroyed and they can't walk when they're 65 as long as they maximize their performance in their prime. Also PEDs.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

I use Joel Jamison's HRV thing and pretty much take days off when it tells me to (which usually ends up being once or twice a week). I'd agree with everyone else that you probably want to give your body a recuperation day vs going 9 days in a row.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ManOfTheYear posted:

Best staff around them to make sure they don't overwork themselves and then get massage and poo poo
Nothing to do except rest/eat the best food when they are not training
They don't seem to care if they are in wheelchairs by 60

Most importantly : drugs so they can recuperate faster than a normal human being.

You can go 8-9 days training all day for a while. But before long you'll be tired and feel lovely and improve less than if you took breaks. + there's the mental exersion that might make you hate your sport in a year. Everytime I over do it I feel amazing about myself for a month or three but then I hit a huge wall, have less motivation, low energy and/or injure myself.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 14, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

You can go 8-9 days training all day for a while. But before long you'll be tired and feel lovely and improve less than if you took breaks. + there's the mental exersion that might make you hate your sport in a year. Everytime I over do it I feel amazing about myself for a month or three but then I hit a huge wall, have less motivation, low energy and/or injure myself.

I'll try to keep this in mind. I haven't hit that wall at any point yet, real life has usually gotten in the way before over-extertion (busy at work, gotten a flu etc.) but it must lie there at some point. I never really force myself to train, I train when it feels good and don't when it doesn't, but 95% of the time I feel up for it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone have glove recommendations for Muay Thai?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone have glove recommendations for Muay Thai?

These are my favorite gloves for hitting the bag http://www.njfightshop.com/fairtex-...1bAOhoC0dnw_wcB

For sparring, Twins Special or Fairtex 16 oz gloves. I like the ones with the elastic strap on the wrist instead of velcro. Makes it a lot easier to slip on.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think I have a skin infection so I'm scouring clean everything I can, is there any downside to putting my gloves through the delicate setting in a washing machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

is there any downside to putting my gloves through the delicate setting in a washing machine?

It takes days to dry them out if you don't have a boot dryer or actively towel the insides.

• Locked thread