Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rirse posted:

I know it was posted before in the thread, but what the best way to A Rank the tiles that lead to Link's Fairy Bottle and Lana's Summoning Gate? The Zelda only map with the two armies wouldn't been so bad if Volga didn't take off half your health in one hit. And the other one sucks since the monsters take forever to kill...with the one time I was almost done was a failure because I ran out of time due to Imprison having too many invincible frames.

For Zelda's baton mission, do not pursue Volga. Just beeline for your objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

For Zelda's baton mission, do not pursue Volga. Just beeline for your objectives.

I have to say this is the exact opposite of what I encountered. Ignoring Volga lead to him taking the base incredibly quickly.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that if you take the keep north of where you start -- the one he has to pass through to get to your base -- it will slow him down a fair bit and by the time he does reach your base, he will have taken quite a lot of damage so you can kill him easily if need be.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Rirse posted:

I know it was posted before in the thread, but what the best way to A Rank the tiles that lead to Link's Fairy Bottle and Lana's Summoning Gate? The Zelda only map with the two armies wouldn't been so bad if Volga didn't take off half your health in one hit. And the other one sucks since the monsters take forever to kill...with the one time I was almost done was a failure because I ran out of time due to Imprison having too many invincible frames.

I had Zelda's T2 Baton mission "solved" by the time I finished it with an A, and it really comes down to avoiding getting hit too much by Volga and Wizzro, and avoiding fighting them both at the same time. It's really all about dodging their attacks with dodge spamming while luring out weak-point meters via blocking.
#1 - It's been mentioned in this thread before, but use the rapier
I think lightning defense is helpful too.

First, capture the outpost and then take out the Aeralfos captain right near where you start. Dash towards the front of your base where you'll run into Volga and a bunch of Moblins who are cutting in. Between specials and weak point attacks, they'll almost all go down together. Next, head west toward Wizzro, make sure he doesn't hit you because 1 hit from him will wreck your A rank. Once he's down, go into the West keep and clear it, clearing every Gibdo out. At this point the Yellow Commander has likely made his way to you, so he's next. Once he's down, it's just a matter of getting your kills and clearing out various Moblins and Gibdos that head toward your base, because when they go down, the rabble disappears. Ghirahim is pretty painless.

edit: note the lack of taking any keeps until Volga and Wizzro are dead

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 14, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Get a friend who also knows how to play this game, and just co op the tough missions. Zelda's level 2 baton mission is easy if you have another person.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I had Zelda's T2 Baton mission "solved" by the time I finished it with an A, and it really comes down to avoiding getting hit too much by Volga and Wizzro, and avoiding fighting them both at the same time. It's really all about dodging their attacks with dodge spamming while luring out weak-point meters via blocking.
#1 - It's been mentioned in this thread before, but use the rapier
I think lightning defense is helpful too.

First, capture the outpost and then take out the Aeralfos captain right near where you start. Dash towards the front of your base where you'll run into Volga and a bunch of Moblins who are cutting in. Between specials and weak point attacks, they'll almost all go down together. Next, head west toward Wizzro, make sure he doesn't hit you because 1 hit from him will wreck your A rank. Once he's down, go into the West keep and clear it, clearing every Gibdo out. At this point the Yellow Commander has likely made his way to you, so he's next. Once he's down, it's just a matter of getting your kills and clearing out various Moblins and Gibdos that head toward your base, because when they go down, the rabble disappears. Ghirahim is pretty painless.

edit: note the lack of taking any keeps until Volga and Wizzro are dead

That's almost exactly how I did it too, except I'd go kill Wizzro first since he goes down pretty quick. But yeah it's pretty important to avoid fighting both of them at the same time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm still chipping away at things but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of Agitha and I actively refuse to play any mission where A-ranking someone gets a piece of heart for someone with anyone but that person, so it'll be awhile before I ever get to Zant, who is surrounded by Agitha stuff.

Is Ganondorf really just so overpowered that his level 2 weapon mission felt like easy mode, or is it just the typical weirdness with disparity in difficulties? I think I had 1200 kills before 7 minutes were up, and I'd easily collected his heart container and a skulltula along the way, while in every other level 2, I'm panicking about not getting murdered by Moblins from behind and trying to eke out that last 50 or so kills before I rush into the base and get the rest while killing the boss.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RyokoTK posted:

This is the exact opposite of how I A-Ranked the baton mission. I ran up and killed Volga first thing, using the rapier and a level 2 Magic Armor badge to negate any danger he posed. He died real quick, and then I went on to kill Wizzro, and then the rest of the map is just cleanup. The lightning defense makes neither of their attacks scary at all, and they just kind of fall over and die to a sustained minute of pounding with the triforce explosion combo.

EDIT: For full disclosure, it took me 4 tries to A-rank that mission. The fourth try was the first time I had any Magic Armor badge ranks, and the difference was night and day. The mission was way easier when nothing could hurt me seriously.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

Is Ganondorf really just so overpowered that his level 2 weapon mission felt like easy mode, or is it just the typical weirdness with disparity in difficulties? I think I had 1200 kills before 7 minutes were up, and I'd easily collected his heart container and a skulltula along the way, while in every other level 2, I'm panicking about not getting murdered by Moblins from behind and trying to eke out that last 50 or so kills before I rush into the base and get the rest while killing the boss.

Ganondorf is incredibly strong and badass. His only weakness is he tends to get poked a bit while using his combos, but then the entire room dies so it doesn't really matter.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I'm still chipping away at things but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of Agitha and I actively refuse to play any mission where A-ranking someone gets a piece of heart for someone with anyone but that person, so it'll be awhile before I ever get to Zant, who is surrounded by Agitha stuff.

Nah, he just rules that hard. He clears keeps so quickly that it's really easy to go out of your way to shore up your defenses while just ignoring your objectives until its convenient. His YYYYYX HUGE FUCKOFF DEVIL ARM combo is really, really good.

edit re: Zelda's level 2 Baton mission: If Volga is taking half of your health with one attack, you might want to both level up and get at least one goron tunic upgrade for her. That really isn't a lot of room to work with.

edit: Also magic armor, as was said. Try to get at least a 4 star rapier too.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 14, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I kinda find Gannondorf kinda weak for harder stuff. I just can't get away with using his specials because they have such long animations (even without holding down the button) where he's vulnerable. I have a "defeat the enemies" mission that I'm not touching because the first arena has two little imprisoned and one big one and I just can't avoid taking craploads of damage. He totally wrecks mook hordes though.

I don't remember having issues with his level 2, his level 3 was fairly tough but not such that it wasn't easily overcome with extra levels.

As for weapon unlock missions, I think I only have the level 3 missions for Ghriahim, Zant, Ruto, Darunia, Agitha and Lana's gate, Also Lana's level 2 gate. Haven't tried Ghirahims or Zants, I missed A on Ruto's by just a bit because Zant is an rear end who never exposes his seal and just kept getting pokes off on me. Agithas I've only had one good try, and I think I only missed the time requirement despite the fact it felt like I took way too much damage. (I swear Agitha takes more damage then any other character.) Darunia's is a pain in the rear end because of those hp sponge moblins but I think I just need to capture the right keeps to keep them out of my base longer.

Lana's level 2 gate still alludes me, possibly because I'm refusing to use the level 1 gate, but it certainly feels like I'm killing plenty fast with my level 3 book, I just can't leave the base alone long enough to get poo poo done.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Oxyclean posted:

Lana's level 2 gate still alludes me, possibly because I'm refusing to use the level 1 gate, but it certainly feels like I'm killing plenty fast with my level 3 book, I just can't leave the base alone long enough to get poo poo done.

I just came here to ask for advice on that mission.

I'm also using a pretty powerful rank 3 book (392 attack or so) and my Lana is level 55, so that shouldn't be an issue. But like you said, your base is constantly under such a ridiculous amount of fire that you barely have time to trek all over the map to do all the things you need to do to clear the mission in a timely manner (kill the captains, get the fairy, kill the red commander, open the yellow base by killing that one enemy, kill the yellow commander), not to mention getting the Skulltula as well.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is it just me, or does Ruto's level 3 mission bug out a lot? On the two tries I made before getting the A-rank, I cleared out the mess of captains in front of the base, and then went to go help Fi- only to find that not only her, but all of the captains and mooks, enemy and allied alike, just weren't there. Even though they were appearing on the minimap. :what: I had to restart a couple times because of that. She just slipped into a crack in reality and kept getting murdered where I couldn't reach her.

Also on one of my last runs, I did great on kills, time, and damage, only to get to Zant and have the goddamn Cuccos start attacking the enemy base from the east. I got pecked a couple times before I even realized what was happening. :saddowns:

Zant really sucks in that mission, I just had to continually dodge around him getting in two weak attacks before dodging each time while waiting for him to start doing one of his crazy person attacks. I found that even at level 50 using a 5 star level 2 weapon that I had to keep pecking at him as well doing weakpoint hits to get him down quickly enough for the time. He's got a ridiculous amount of health.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you're having trouble with a mission that has a recommended element you should grind for the defense badges in that element. Every level of defense reduces damage by a really significant amount.

Additionally I think some people may be underestimating how much damage using the recommended element adds. Lana's level 2 mission really is much easier if you just use the gate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

Is it just me, or does Ruto's level 3 mission bug out a lot? On the two tries I made before getting the A-rank, I cleared out the mess of captains in front of the base, and then went to go help Fi- only to find that not only her, but all of the captains and mooks, enemy and allied alike, just weren't there. Even though they were appearing on the minimap. :what: I had to restart a couple times because of that. She just slipped into a crack in reality and kept getting murdered where I couldn't reach her.

The enemy density in that corridor is so ridiculous that it's probably the only place in the game with enemy pop-in. You have to sit and wait for a second for all the baddies to appear around you.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're having trouble with a mission that has a recommended element you should grind for the defense badges in that element. Every level of defense reduces damage by a really significant amount.

Additionally I think some people may be underestimating how much damage using the recommended element adds. Lana's level 2 mission really is much easier if you just use the gate.

The difference in attack between my best gate and my best book is nearly 300. I doubt the recommended element makes up for that.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

The enemy density in that corridor is so ridiculous that it's probably the only place in the game with enemy pop-in. You have to sit and wait for a second for all the baddies to appear around you.

I did that. Waited for a few minutes even. I also went north out of the water temple and came back to check. That didn't work either. I didn't just exit out immediately when I couldn't find her. :saddowns:

Just bad luck I guess.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I kinda find Gannondorf kinda weak for harder stuff. I just can't get away with using his specials because they have such long animations (even without holding down the button) where he's vulnerable. I have a "defeat the enemies" mission that I'm not touching because the first arena has two little imprisoned and one big one and I just can't avoid taking craploads of damage. He totally wrecks mook hordes though.

I don't remember having issues with his level 2, his level 3 was fairly tough but not such that it wasn't easily overcome with extra levels.

The thing with 'Dorf is that his basic combo is strong as poo poo so you don't have to rely on just using his heavy;s if you don't feel safe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dunban posted:

The difference in attack between my best gate and my best book is nearly 300. I doubt the recommended element makes up for that.

It does. Use the gate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dunban posted:

You are incorrect.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

You are incorrect.

Is the difference really that much? I was surprised by how well I did with the level 1 baton in Zeldas lv 2 baton mission, but I still had a much easier time of it with a buffed out level 2 rapier.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dunban posted:

Can your level three book kill the yellow commander in about three seconds? If not, it doesn't hold a candle to the powered up Argorok from a level 1 gate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Is the difference really that much? I was surprised by how well I did with the level 1 baton in Zeldas lv 2 baton mission, but I still had a much easier time of it with a buffed out level 2 rapier.

It is! The same goes for the Baton mission. You probably had an easier time of it if you were better with the rapier or had some good skills. The baton still does more base damage. I couldn't do it with a level 2 rapier when I tried.

E: Wait you ended up with VS Dragon on your rapier didn't you? Because yeah that would make a huge difference on that level.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 14, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow a double post. Haven't had one of those in ages.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Hm, guess I'll give it a try with the gate then.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Dunban posted:

I just came here to ask for advice on that mission.

I'm also using a pretty powerful rank 3 book (392 attack or so) and my Lana is level 55, so that shouldn't be an issue. But like you said, your base is constantly under such a ridiculous amount of fire that you barely have time to trek all over the map to do all the things you need to do to clear the mission in a timely manner (kill the captains, get the fairy, kill the red commander, open the yellow base by killing that one enemy, kill the yellow commander), not to mention getting the Skulltula as well.

Don't worry about the fairy for that mission. IIRC it corresponds to the red army base, and the commander will do you the favor of heading over to your base for you. Just hang out around home clearing poo poo out and the red army will kill itself running into you. Also don't kill the white Stalmaster outside yellow's base until you're ready to end the mission. Cia will take that as her cue to head on in and if for whatever reason you take him out then go somewhere else, she could wind up dead.

Also how to exploit Volga's AI for fun and profit: he'll do his fiery plunge attack after blocking a few hits which exposes his weak point. Just close the distance, do a Y string until he blocks your hits, look for the windup and dodge behind him. Should make your encounters with him go by much faster.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
For the love of god, Nintendo, please add in a Weapon Drops Minus potion. I'm drowning in useless weapons and all I want is Impa drops.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

For the love of god, Nintendo, please add in a Weapon Drops Minus potion. I'm drowning in useless weapons and all I want is Impa drops.

It's funny because 90 percent of the time, I really would rather have them drop the badass weapon, but I'm drowning in harps and I swear every time I'm trying to beat some of the team to get defense badges, they drop a goddamn harp, no matter who I'm playing with!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It is! The same goes for the Baton mission. You probably had an easier time of it if you were better with the rapier or had some good skills. The baton still does more base damage. I couldn't do it with a level 2 rapier when I tried.

E: Wait you ended up with VS Dragon on your rapier didn't you? Because yeah that would make a huge difference on that level.

Yeah I was, but I still had an easier time with a different weaker one. It could have just been my lack of experience with the baton. The vs dragon one made it a whole lot easier though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Re: Lana's level 2 gate mission. I cleared this one on my first try with a 2-star level 3 spear. The spear seems like a poo poo weapon, but it turns out the BBBBY combo (the big leaf) is really super strong if you dash-cancel before she jumps into the air. It's a good keep-clearer and is extremely safe and efficient at taking down captains because it juggles them too. I rushed out to get the fire fairy and red VIP right away, and then defended the allied base for about eight minutes, and after pretty much every captain on the map ate leaves to death I had plenty of breathing room to hit 1200 kills and finish off the commanders.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Any specific advice as to avoiding damage/finishing in time for Link's L3 gauntlet mission? Because goddamn.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fix posted:

Any specific advice as to avoiding damage/finishing in time for Link's L3 gauntlet mission? Because goddamn.

BBB-dash is a pretty effective way of safely damaging the Poes and is really useful for punishing weak points because of its reach. BBBBY is also a fairly good source of damage but might leave you exposed. You want to avoid the really long combos like BBBY because you're just begging to get poked while doing it. Basically, just take out the Poes and Lana right at the start of the mission, then capture that first keep in front of you (it slows down Poes later) and then move directly to your objectives. Getting enough kills in time should not be an issue.

When you get to Argorok make sure you do not engage him in a corridor because you will eat his fire breath and take like 15 hearts of damage instantly. BBBBY is really strong against Argorok though and it should not be a major issue to beat him without taking damage if you fight him in an open area. The reason you want to capture that one keep earlier is because if you don't, a bunch of Poes will attack you while you're fighting the boss.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Keep your distance from the poes/Lana and rack up kills on the mooks until you build up your super gauge. wait until one of them-any of them- exposes their weakpoint and drop your A-special on them. There's just too many Poes bunched up there to keep track unless you're standing back a little bit. I did pretty much the same thing for Ruto's level 3 too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the ball-and-chain special is really strong and you should use it all the time. Conveniently, there are a million enemies everywhere and the weapon is really good at building the special meter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really wish the Adventure Battle missions specifically had a save function like the Legendary Mode story does. I get that it would pretty much defeat the purpose for Challenge Battle, but it is a little infuriating go through, do your 1200 kills pretty cleanly, and then get boned when you forget the pattern for the boss because you've been so busy learning how to avoid him for all those "Kill X number of enemies" battles. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It's funny because 90 percent of the time, I really would rather have them drop the badass weapon, but I'm drowning in harps and I swear every time I'm trying to beat some of the team to get defense badges, they drop a goddamn harp, no matter who I'm playing with!

Weapon drops are insane. Ganon hasn't gotten a single stars/materials skill or three-slot sword yet, but I'm drowning in those useless Strength X skills.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about using the gate. It made killing enemy officers quite a bit easier.
Ignoring the fairy and letting the red commander approach the base was even more helpful though. I even got the Skulltula!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Any word on what kind of challenges are going to be in the Master Quest adventure map? I'm holding off on getting the DLC pack just yet because while I would love all this extra content, I am loving SICK of quiz battles and "defeat X enemies in Y minutes while avoiding a horde of Gohmas" missions.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really hope that, despite the name, the missions aren't all insanely difficult.

e: Personally, if I never had to do another monster quiz, I'd be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really mind the quizzes, except when it's two generals at a time with a ton of HP that refuse to move apart.

It's a nice change of pace from the swath of "do it under 15 minutes with 1200 KOs" adventure battles. Particularly the ones involving cuccos in any shape or form.

• Locked thread