Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

I don't even have to see the film to know that the Van Helsing Dracula was better. He was the best Dracula there will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

LeJackal posted:

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.

Reminds me of one of the lethal weapons movies where Mel Gibson and crew breaks into a house without a warrant and when the occupants ask "The gently caress are you doing here?" they proceed to beat the everliving poo poo out of them and then steal their car. I think it's when Gibson goes into dog mode and converts the guard dog to their cause.

Anyway I just watched Lucy. Don't. This thing with humans only using 10% of their brains really needs to stop. No, evolution didn't give us a giant brain we hardly use.

edit:

Trent posted:

That plot device was stupid but I knew that going into it. The movie was bad for entirely different reasons. The things that looked cool in the trailer were in the movie for about the same amount of time and the rest of it was horseshit. It is a bad movie.

Absolutely. Limitless had the same plot but at least it was watchable albeit not exactly an epic.

Bates has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 13, 2014

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
In Gone Girl, when Amy is using a computer to Google the situation, she's using Windows 95 and Internet Explorer.
Somehow all the sites load just fine.

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Oct 14, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anosmoman posted:

]
Anyway I just watched Lucy. Don't. This thing with humans only using 10% of their brains really needs to stop. No, evolution didn't give us a giant brain we hardly use.

That plot device was stupid but I knew that going into it. The movie was bad for entirely different reasons. The things that looked cool in the trailer were in the movie for about the same amount of time and the rest of it was horseshit. It is a bad movie.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched Automata which was pretty good. But every time someone points a gun at someone it makes that "night vision activated" sound. You know the one.
They were just regular guns that shoot regular bullets. Not even fancy sights or something. Where does that sound come from?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shai-Hulud posted:

I just watched Automata which was pretty good. But every time someone points a gun at someone it makes that "night vision activated" sound. You know the one.
They were just regular guns that shoot regular bullets. Not even fancy sights or something. Where does that sound come from?

The foley department.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Dr Scoofles posted:

What even happened to the horse anyway? The carriage wheel hit a small pothole and the horse threw itself onto the floor and had to have it's neck broken but what was wrong with it? Why did it just throw itself on the floor? Did it suddenly break it's own legs when the wheel went into the pothole even though nothing happened to the horse next to it? Was it too 'far gone' to live because the wheel going into the pothole startled it?

quote:

I guarantee you that a dog will never in his life hear a bee and then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

LeJackal posted:

I hate that movie for so many reasons. One of the big gripes is how by the end of the film they have performed illegal searches, seizures, committed numerous felonies, invaded sovereign Cuban territory and murdered Cuban military and civilians all as part of their murder quest, then end by more or less assaulting an active US military base! Naturally just before the credits roll they are hanging out in the backyard laughing because there are literally zero consequences to their crimes.

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.

Yeah, well

whatchu gonna do?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

M.Ciaster posted:

Yeah, well

whatchu gonna do?

Call the cops?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jedit posted:

The foley department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKiaRUKgmA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really stupid thing about Enemy of the State is the lingerie store where they just have models walk around in underwear.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

muscles like this? posted:

A really stupid thing about Enemy of the State is the lingerie store where they just have models walk around in underwear.

Apart from the fact that according to a guy in a bar I met this happens, who do you think the store is trying to sell to?

I saw The Wolverine yesterday and it was better than expected but I wish they'd make their minds up how strong adamantium is. Sometimes it cuts through a train, sometimes through steel, then not through a sword.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Apart from the fact that according to a guy in a bar I met this happens, who do you think the store is trying to sell to?

I saw The Wolverine yesterday and it was better than expected but I wish they'd make their minds up how strong adamantium is. Sometimes it cuts through a train, sometimes through steel, then not through a sword.

His claws get stuck in a helicopter's thin metal skin but can cut through an old timey sink made of fukutanium like it was butter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

That's just the sound of a capacitor charging. Happened all the time when I was a kid and hosed around with my family's old camera flash.

And yea, the Van Helsing Dracula was kinda horriblawesome. HE HAS NO EMOTIONS, AND HE CAN'T DECIDE WHAT ACCENT HE WANTS TO USE, BUT HE IS SO SAAAAAAADDDD :qq:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's also a great part on the Van Helsing (holy poo poo, this movie came out ten years ago) blooper reel where Dracula turns to his vampire minions and says something like "Ladies and gentleman, I give to you....VAN HALEN!"

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Celery Face posted:

There's also a great part on the Van Helsing (holy poo poo, this movie came out ten years ago) blooper reel where Dracula turns to his vampire minions and says something like "Ladies and gentleman, I give to you....VAN HALEN!"

The entire blooper reel is great, regardless what anyone thinks of the actual movie itself. :colbert: It's got to be my second favorite blooper reel behind the one for Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Watched the hell out of this when I was 10 years old and obsessed with the second Pirates movie. "Davy Jone's Crocodile Machine" is still hilarious. :allears:

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Oct 14, 2014

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's just the sound of a capacitor charging. Happened all the time when I was a kid and hosed around with my family's old camera flash.

Oh yeah. Thats where i know it from. I remember now!
Those guns sure had a lot of capacitors for just being shotguns...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can pretend it's an EMP shotgun and that's why they had to use em against robots cause that's :science: !!!!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Didn't Inception explain the thing with time slowing down ten times when you dream with this, because when you dream you use hundred percent instead of ten?

I didn't catch their explanation for why time slows down 100 times when you have a dream within a dream.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inception they just talked about how time moves differently in a dream. They didn't really go into the mechanics of how exactly they got the ratio.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Friday Night Lights season 3 spoilers.

after Matt Saracen's dad dies Lyla Garretty shows from out across the country to attend the funeral. She acts really loving towards Matt, hugging him and kissing him at the burial. The problem is Matt and Lyla were never shown to be friends. They never even spoke to each other in previous seasons. I don't know if they even had scenes together.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Friday Night Lights season 3 spoilers.

after Matt Saracen's dad dies Lyla Garretty shows from out across the country to attend the funeral. She acts really loving towards Matt, hugging him and kissing him at the burial. The problem is Matt and Lyla were never shown to be friends. They never even spoke to each other in previous seasons. I don't know if they even had scenes together.

Their affair was mostly cut from season 2 because of the writer's strike, but if you watch carefully you can still see it referenced in the background of many episodes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Friday Night Lights has to have set a record for the most silently dropped story lines in television history. Most of them were for the better--the Writer's Strike was a mercy kill on season 2. But my god.

Whatever happened to the kid that Buddy adopted?
Remember Waverly?
Why was Tim Riggins in high school for like seven years?

There are many more that I can't think of. It's still probably in my top five shows of all time. "The Son" is the only work of fiction (besides Toy Story 3) that has almost made me cry. Texas forever.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Friday Night Lights has to have set a record for the most silently dropped story lines in television history. Most of them were for the better--the Writer's Strike was a mercy kill on season 2. But my god.

Whatever happened to the kid that Buddy adopted?
Remember Waverly?
Why was Tim Riggins in high school for like seven years?

There are many more that I can't think of. It's still probably in my top five shows of all time. "The Son" is the only work of fiction (besides Toy Story 3) that has almost made me cry. Texas forever.

Seriosuly, Zach Gilford deserved an emmy for The Son. Diego probably just moved with his uncle, and Waverly most likely had another episode and went back to the loony farm. The plotlines that bugged me were all the gay ones. They had Coach Traub, the Lady Mayor and Devon, but they never really did anything with them. Those storylines could have been way more interesting than " Tim Riggins sadly smolders again".

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 14, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
According to some website Hastings was supposed to be gay too. They never did anything remotely interesting with his character.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Horror movies that defacto prove the existence of God to the characters and they still don't act any differently.

I just saw Annabell and it's a Christian couple, that go to Church, have a local pastor and when the demon shows up instead of having faith in God they just go ahead and give up a soul. Not a moment of thought about it. Not once did someone say "hey if it wants souls and hell is real maybe we should just get killed by it and go to heaven?" No. Two characters literally choose an eternity in hell for no reason.

I know it's a thing that if you're a character in a horror movie you can't do anything that makes sense on any level but come on!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The main character of the novel Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk mentions at one point that he'd be fine with being killed by a zombie, vampire or whatever because then he would know that the supernatural exists.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just watched Mystic River and aside from being terminally depressing it reminded me how much I hate characters displaying too much knowledge at crime scenes.

"Yeah, looks like she took a beating but that wasn't what killed her. She was shot a second time."

Meanwhile the body is sitting fully clothed and unexamined partly concealed under a bush. How do you know the beating didn't kill her? Or something else entirely? At least make a token effort to show that some examination of the scene has taken place before giving us those conclusions, otherwise it's just lazy writing.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Horror movies that defacto prove the existence of God to the characters and they still don't act any differently.

I just saw Annabell and it's a Christian couple, that go to Church, have a local pastor and when the demon shows up instead of having faith in God they just go ahead and give up a soul. Not a moment of thought about it. Not once did someone say "hey if it wants souls and hell is real maybe we should just get killed by it and go to heaven?" No. Two characters literally choose an eternity in hell for no reason.

I know it's a thing that if you're a character in a horror movie you can't do anything that makes sense on any level but come on!

I always thought it'd be interesting if horror movies did something more with that. Like if they had different religious leaders come and visit the house - if a Jewish rabbi could exorcise the ghost but a Hindu brahmin couldn't, or even if a Catholic priest could but a Pentecostalist couldn't, would that be a reflection on their religions and denominations? Or show the wider effects on society of the story getting out - a statement from the Pope or something. Or explore why preachers can do that but God doesn't intercede directly on behalf of the laymen praying for the demon to go away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The main character of the novel Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk mentions at one point that he'd be fine with being killed by a zombie, vampire or whatever because then he would know that the supernatural exists.

I always thought the same thing about being offered a deal from the devil.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Supernatural bugs me about this. The Winchesters have met all manner of Gods across multiple pantheons, have straight up visited Heaven and Hell, and by all accounts should realize death has no consequence in their universe. Because so long as you're a decent person you'll go to heaven and even if that's not your cup of tea there's a million and one ways to be brought back to life. They probably even have their own penthouse suites waiting for them for all the times they've saved the world. Yet they still act like death is a huge deal.

At this point they should be acting more like the characters of Dragonball. "Oh, gently caress he's dead again. Someone go summon the dragon..."

EDIT: Related, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which got it kind of right. Buffy gets pulled back to the mortal realm from Heaven and straight up hates her friends for yanking her out of paradise.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Oct 21, 2014

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Esroc posted:

Supernatural bugs me about this. The Winchesters have met all manner of Gods across multiple pantheons, have straight up visited Heaven and Hell, and by all accounts should realize death has no consequence in their universe. Because so long as you're a decent person you'll go to heaven and even if that's not your cup of tea there's a million and one ways to be brought back to life. They probably even have their own penthouse suites waiting for them for all the times they've saved the world. Yet they still act like death is a huge deal.

At this point they should be acting more like the characters of Dragonball. "Oh, gently caress he's dead again. Someone go summon the dragon..."

There's all sorts of really stupid angsty story behind it, but there are parts when they do just want to die and get it over with (mostly Sam, who even tried to make a deal with Death so he could never be brought back), but the other brother/god/whoever keeps bringing them back. Also I don't think either of them are ever going to heaven legitimately considering all the angels they've killed and deals with demons that they've both made. Also there's the end of season 9 that might complicate things for one of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

There is a pretty good chance of them ending up in hell if they die though, whether it's because of something evil sending them there, because they did some ritual or something that sends them there as a consequence, or whether they just happen to be evil that week. Also, those aren't the only options. At any point they may unknowingly be some sort of non-human creature and go to purgatory instead, or they might just become a ghost, which is probably even worse than going to hell. At least if you go to hell your soul is still pretty much unharmed, and at worst you turn into a demon, and they know how to cure that now, but ghosts just go crazy and get destroyed.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Murphy Brownback posted:

There's all sorts of really stupid angsty story behind it, but there are parts when they do just want to die and get it over with (mostly Sam, who even tried to make a deal with Death so he could never be brought back), but the other brother/god/whoever keeps bringing them back. Also I don't think either of them are ever going to heaven legitimately considering all the angels they've killed and deals with demons that they've both made. Also there's the end of season 9 that might complicate things for one of them.

They make it pretty clear with the revelation that the "Prophet" Chuck was actually God itself (The writers have confirmed this) that God is guiding the brothers or otherwise manipulating events. God's absence throughout the show is false, it merely wants to work from behind the scenes and not be bothered by everyone asking it to fix everything for them, thus upholding a modicum of free will. Thus the Winchesters are literally doing God's work. Which one would assume means a free ticket through the pearly gates once all is said and done.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, to be fair, the gates of heaven are apparently still on lockdown, and the only thing that can bring someone back from the dead is either a demon deal (meaning you get an express train ticket to hell) or POSSIBLY an angel intervening, but as mentioned before, that might be a bit hard to do since the only one they are friends with is currently a flickering 10 watt bulb worth of angel.

I dug the idea that when they crossed over into "our" universe magic didn't work. Even the angel guy who popped over was like "gently caress! Can't smite poo poo!" and had to cowboy up with a shitton of guns.

I'm kinda pissed that they don't do that much classic rock anymore on the show. Used to be a great old song in the background or just when the show ended and they had bro time on the car, but now it's just FADE TO BLACK AND SPOOKY MUSIC SOMETIMES.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also heaven kind of blows.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Esroc posted:

EDIT: Related, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which got it kind of right. Buffy gets pulled back to the mortal realm from Heaven and straight up hates her friends for yanking her out of paradise.

And going beyond that, it's clear that it's VERY HARD to get brought back "normal." I mean...even Buffy was sort of catatonic for a while, but at least was a regular human.

Getting brought back as "something else," isn't so hard. Vampirism, a ghost, becoming part-demon then ascending to another plane of existence then being brought back, all manner of zombie, etc...but to come back as a regular human takes not only special circumstances (dying in a "supernatural" manner) but also a very powerful spell, hard to find/expensive relics for the spell, etc...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Also heaven kind of blows.

There's always that one heaven for that autistic dude who is flying a kite and having a blast, and probably not noticing the plethora of deal angels all over his yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

I misread this as Enemy at the Gates and thought you were off your fuckin tree.