Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Sorry 'bout your penis issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Me too :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I type with two spaces because that's the way I was taught as a lad.  It's not radium, though, that stops double spaces from showing up online. Blame the HTML standard which truncates everything to a single space unless you type in the right thing.  I also believe strongly in the serial comma.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The Oxford comma is necessary and appropriate to avoid ambiguity. But two-spacing is old-fashioned and silly. GET WITH THE TIMES GRANDPA!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Arcturas posted:

The Oxford comma is necessary and appropriate to avoid ambiguity. But two-spacing is old-fashioned and silly. GET WITH THE TIMES GRANDPA!

Finally someone posts a correct opinion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arcturas posted:

Dropping wisdom itt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think that two spacing makes things easier to read.  It provides a much larger visual cue that you're at the end of a sentence.  Two spaces provides an instant visual difference between a period used in something like an abbreviation and one at the end of a thought.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I really don't care, though.  I just wanted to type a few bullshit sentences with two spaces between them.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Arcturas posted:

Yup.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

LOL if you're scrub tier lawyer and still type or read instead of having one of your five government provided secretaries do all that for you.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just kidding I had to beg and plead with our IT people to even get a twenty inch monitor for my six year old laptop and my secretaries just laugh when we need them to do anything because they're in a union.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just kidding I had to beg and plead with our IT people to even get a twenty inch monitor for my six year old laptop and my secretaries just laugh when we need them to do anything because they're in a union.

Why aren't you in a union if you work for the government? That's normally the best part, except my union sucks at the moment because it is run by prosecutors. Turns out prosecutors suck at negotiating from position of weakness.
Still 4 weeks of annual vacation, which ramps to 6 with seniority.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Why aren't you in a union if you work for the government? That's normally the best part, except my union sucks at the moment because it is run by prosecutors. Turns out prosecutors suck at negotiating from position of weakness.
Still 4 weeks of annual vacation, which ramps to 6 with seniority.

The union determined that I'm a boss amd unable to join.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You have to set your sights higher. Join the original unionboss club, the Article III judiciary.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Finding out a goon is a sitting Article III judge would totally redeem The Law to me.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gooncourt.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

the milk machine posted:

Finding out a goon is a sitting Article III judge would totally redeem The Law to me.

Mookie went quiet all of a sudden...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My boss has his own union. You can too.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

My boss has his own union. You can too.

Having a negotiable salary is quite nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Having a negotiable salary is quite nice.
Depends on what the schedule is. Mine is pretty good until I top out.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Mookie went quiet all of a sudden...

I just checked, Mookie's still not an Article III judge. Looks like he's at an especially soulless kind of sweatshop for now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MaximumBob posted:

I just checked, Mookie's still not an Article III judge. Looks like he's at an especially soulless kind of sweatshop for now.

Not LBBS, I hope. (That's the most soulless sweatshop I can think of in SoCal)

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I'm sensing a lot of article 1 judge racism up in here.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

woozle wuzzle posted:

That's just cause you love bankruptcy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

No life tenure=scrubs.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That's just cause you love bankruptcy.

I'm like Tyler Durden, blowing up the bank buildings to reset everyone's credit.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Real talk my almost certainly unobtainable dream job is to be a district court judge.

I'm definitely planning to try for a state trial court judgeship when I have the experience. Being a judge would own so hard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Cherron Phillips, a devotee of the so-called sovereign citizen movement, was sentenced to 7 years in prison Tuesday for filing a series of bogus multibillion-dollar liens on then-U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald and other top federal court officials.

"For the record, I do not consent to the adjudication process here," said Phillips, sitting at the defense table in an orange prison jumpsuit.

Born and raised in Chicago's Chatham neighborhood, Phillips was the high school sweetheart of Simeon Career Academy basketball star Nick Anderson. In 1988, the two had a son together, and although they never married, they remained close as Anderson's star rose, first as he led the Illini to a Final Four and then as his NBA career blossomed with the Orlando Magic.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sovereign-citizen-sentencing-met-20141014-story.html

I think the weirdest part is that she should've been a generic rich woman due to Nick Anderson but nope.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Omerta posted:

Real talk my almost certainly unobtainable dream job is to be a district court judge.

I'm definitely planning to try for a state trial court judgeship when I have the experience. Being a judge would own so hard.

Hope you enjoy 99% family law.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hope you enjoy 99% family law.

There's no separate family court where you are?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Dagda posted:

There's no separate family court where you are?

Hell, where I live some judges don't have courtrooms. I practice in the country and routinely drive 150+ miles in all directions for court. Texas is big but no one lives out here so the courts are often just General jurisdiction outside of the cities.

Our "big" county has 5 judges, all general jurisdiction, and they've said 90 to 95% of their civil case lists are family.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Omerta posted:

Same.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

In Texas being a District Judge means being able to go to social events and raise money. The work in Court gets in the way of this usually and is secondary.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, but that's Texas.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol "I do not consent to your jurisdiction." cuffs go on

"I do not consent to your jurisdiction." orange jumpsuit goes on

"I do not consent to your jurisdiction." judge rolls his eyes

"I do not consent to your jurisdiction." jury foreman returns the verdict

"I do not consent to your jurisdiction." remanded to the custody of the Marshals Service

"I do not consent to your jurisdiction." squat & cough, fish. Enjoy the next 80 months

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Omerta posted:

As a single male, I feel like being a judge would be a terrible thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress it, the USPTO's 101 interpretation is loving dumb

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm gonna allow "do marketing on twitter, with a computer" because I don't have a loving memo that says I can say "do marketing on twitter" is an abstract idea

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like i want a job in patent litigation arguing invalidity for 101

that's all i want to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress it, the USPTO's 101 interpretation is loving dumb

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i'm gonna allow "do marketing on twitter, with a computer" because I don't have a loving memo that says I can say "do marketing on twitter" is an abstract idea
Yep. My understanding from ~sources~ is that the USPTO isn't going to bother giving examiners guidance this time because they're terrified that they'll get it wrong if they do. Unless your SPE says otherwise, I think the smart thing for an examiner to do for now is just to pretend that 101 doesn't exist.