Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evobatman posted:

Everybody, look at this guy who is using the preinstalled image on his business laptop instead of reinstalling it.
Yeah, I know, but I addressed that in my post. Also not the point.

Inspector_666 posted:

They haven't.
Their chat support told me you can no longer customize a 9020. Since I want 32 gigs of ram, I think that's the only option for the Optiplex line.

FISHMANPET posted:

I looked on bog standard dell.com, and I couldn't configure anything, but I can customize to hearts content on my Premier site. So the moral of the story is don't order from dell.com like a plebian.

I order like 3 computers a year and haven't ever needed Premier. I'll request an account I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A c E posted:

That said, it wasn't the time frame that I care about. It was that I had to pry every bit of information out of them. If they had sent me an e-mail when they got the laptop saying it was there, sent another one when it was done and a final one with the tracking number this wouldn't have been an issue. However, when you tell me twice that you don't have the laptop I know you have, then you tell me its shipped when instead you sit on it for a week before actually shipping it, I'm going to be really annoyed.

ASUS Warranty service approaches Comcast levels of bad customer service. It wasn't always this way, but the last 3-5 years there has been a very obvious decline in quality. I personally think it started when Best Buy started reselling their laptops. I work for an ASUS reseller, and since we're a LCS, one of the things we do to differentiate ourselves from the big box stores is handle warranty calls for our customers. Basically, instead of having to make a phone call, accurately describe the problem, ship their laptop in, we do all that for them. The other brands we carry never give us the kinds of problems that ASUS has. One of many examples is the time when ASUS sent us back a G75 missing 8 GB of RAM, and then accused us of lying about how much RAM was in it when we sent it to them. Add on to that the number of times they've lost laptops, sent laptops back without repair and without contacting us, and all other kinds of incompetence. I really like their products, but holy gently caress is their service bad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Asus warranty service has been bad for a very long time..

12 years ago I had a popular Asus K7S5A motherboard along with a Athlon XP 2400. It was discovered that when paired with particular processors, some odd problem with
first revision motherboards caused the processor's on-board cache to be completely disabled. The result of which was extremely poor performance.

I was instructed by Asus' support to send my motherboard to them along with the processor so they could verify I was indeed having that issue. The agent assured me my processor would be returned along with a repaired or replacement motherboard. Several weeks later, predictably my replacement motherboard arrived sans processor.

It took weeks of calling multiple people and departments and playing phone tag to get my processor back. I was told a few times my RMA didn't exist and never had, that the problem I was talking about didn't actually exist (despite there being a FAQ on their webpage about it at the time), that an agent would have never told me to send my processor in as its not their policy, the RMA has no notes on it about a processor, I am just trying to get a free processor out of them, etc...

On one of the many calls, I finally got someone who found the RMA, seen the notes, and was able to locate my processor and overnight it back to me.

It was a complete poo poo show.

That experience was burnt into my memory and has soured me on Asus products since then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had nothing but completely useless service from both Asus and Acer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had nothing but completely useless service from both Asus and Acer.

I've had good results from support for acer's business products. Their home user support is bad, but not quite in the same league as Asus.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Weird. I used to resell Asus as well, and really never had issues with their support. gently caress HP/Compaq though. And Sony. gently caress you long and hard Sony.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Jerry Cotton posted:

: Hey these two master data items are hosed up this is affecting production.

:smug:: Nah they're fine you probably looked them up wrong.

*checks item change log because key user superpowers allow it*

*posts about it on internet "comedy" web site Something Awful's user forums*

Speaking of loving things up and avoiding responsibility, a few months ago I started up Patch Manager and got a warning that it was 700+ nodes over the license limit, and found out it had inventoried every single computer in the domain, including the servers. I freaked out a little because when patch manager inventories a computer it has the option to install its client extensions, a set of WMI namespaces that provide more information for inventory reports, and some of these servers are old, somewhat unstable, and very mission critical; anything unusual on them would spark a witch hunt. Fortunately a spot check showed the client extensions hadn't been installed.

Then I went looking for why, which was easy since patch manager logs every task, and the culprit was the most recent one; an incompetent sycophant who had been told "look, don't touch" had set off an inventory of the entire domain. I SS'ed the event, and emailed it to him asking WTF. When I got no response after a day, I yanked his access. Still hasn't said a word to me about it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

hihifellow posted:

an incompetent sycophant who had been told "look, don't touch"

That's always a recipe for Fun times

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

hihifellow posted:

an incompetent sycophant who had been told "look, don't touch" had set off an inventory of the entire domain.

That reminds me of a new guy with whom I (briefly) worked who decided he was going to figure out the layout of our prod domain by logging onto a server out there, install a port scanner and sniff every single port on 10.0.0.0/8.

After system outage alerts blare from everyone's desk ever, we track it down to him.

Yeah, fired.

But let's not overlook the fact that a simple port scan killed our production environment. :shobon:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Agrikk posted:

But let's not overlook the fact that a simple port scan killed our production environment. :shobon:

How?!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

I'd guess he nuked some inadequate but critical piece of network gear. I could definitely see an unthrottled port scan across an entire class A overwhelming a cheap or poorly configured firewall, for instance, especially if the port scanner client runs scans in parallel.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

dennyk posted:

I'd guess he nuked some inadequate but critical piece of network gear. I could definitely see an unthrottled port scan across an entire class A overwhelming a cheap or poorly configured firewall, for instance, especially if the port scanner client runs scans in parallel.

We had a port scan/intrustion test done on a important vlan on day by some auditors with the help of the security person. Whatever they did caused an old IDS to pretty much poo poo itself and it failed closed instead of open. That was a fun day.

This is also why you shouldn't let people do those scans during business hours. The auditors bitched for a long time about having to come back after hours to do scans. They argued that their scans shouldn't cause problems, which is completely true, they shouldn't. However, we don't live in this world where everything is 100% at all times, so gently caress em.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Agrikk posted:

to figure out the layout of our prod domain by logging onto a server out there, install a port scanner and sniff every single port on 10.0.0.0/8.

Speaking of network topography, do you guys have a legit one mapped out? Getting our network services team to produce a logical that isn't total and utter loving garbage has been fruitless. Nobody in management seems to give a gently caress, nobody else in general actually. I've brought it up multiple times and will continue to do so like a broken record but pretty much a non starter.

Also yeah we've* run a targeted Nessus scan on a super low level before that's Affected Production and it's really hard to sympathize when it's something non-intrusive.

*One dude, who got yelled at even though seriously it was basically ping.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 14, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

We had a port scan/intrustion test done on a important vlan on day by some auditors with the help of the security person. Whatever they did caused an old IDS to pretty much poo poo itself and it failed closed instead of open. That was a fun day.

This is also why you shouldn't let people do those scans during business hours. The auditors bitched for a long time about having to come back after hours to do scans. They argued that their scans shouldn't cause problems, which is completely true, they shouldn't. However, we don't live in this world where everything is 100% at all times, so gently caress em.

Fire/safety inspectors were touring a place I worked at about ten years ago and saw an unmarked valve which also didn't show up on any of the paperwork. They asked the owner "what does this do?" and when he replied that he had no idea*, they shrugged and opened the valve. The back yard of the building some hundred metres away was flooded because a blind flange at the end of the pipeline had fractured. I guess that's one way to inspect stuff.

*) It used to be a bottling plant so there were hell of unused pipelines.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My manager, after hearing that i've been working with dev for two hours today trying to lock down a fairly major problem decided to respond with the bossiest "Fix it, now!".

1. I'm not a developer, I can't fix it.
2. Back the gently caress off, i'm already going above and beyond for this issue as it's important. I could have just raised it and let it rot in our backlog.

How does becoming a manager turn someone into such an arsehole? If he'd just calmly said "could you make sure they get it done today" i'd be ok with it, but he sounded legitimately angry that I took the time to raise it and explain it properly.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello recruiter, a surefire way to make sure I have no interest in your offer is by referring to me as 'resource with the appropriate skills'.

What the gently caress is he thinking?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Hello recruiter, a surefire way to make sure I have no interest in your offer is by referring to me as 'resource with the appropriate skills'.

What the gently caress is he thinking?

When you don't think of people as people, you don't waste time thinking about what they might think.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Wow, not that it wasn't obvious but our MD is kind of a dick. About over a month ago I got asked to setup something to control our mobile phones, fair enough it's something we need. I researched, demoed, tested and quoted MaaS360 which ended up on deaf ears despite multiple communications sent out, then finally the MD asks whats going on with it and wants a demo himself.

Today rolls around and I get the conference set up, and when things get moving he just loving walks off! I go and get him when I'm ready to display a device and he just ruffles his head and says "Not interested" and to kill the conference. You self important dickbag, how rude.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

I'm about to build out several dozen sets of unit tests because the guy who was supposed to be doing them over the past several months couldn't be bothered to do it, despite everyone from me to the chief architect to the group director told him to loving do it. Now that he decided to get a M.S. in computer science and self-fired himself, I'm stuck with a bunch of lovely code that I have to write unit tests for after the fact.

I know this isn't that out of the ordinary but it's making me want to throw my 52 oz. mug of Mtn Dew against the wall.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RangerAce posted:

I'm about to build out several dozen sets of unit tests because the guy who was supposed to be doing them over the past several months couldn't be bothered to do it, despite everyone from me to the chief architect to the group director told him to loving do it. Now that he decided to get a M.S. in computer science and self-fired himself, I'm stuck with a bunch of lovely code that I have to write unit tests for after the fact.

I know this isn't that out of the ordinary but it's making me want to throw my 52 oz. mug of Mtn Dew against the wall.

The good news is that he left. The better news is that you now get to discover all of the lurking issues in his code before they impact your code. And if you can tell someone "this code is garbage, it would be better to throw it out and rewrite it," why, that would be best of all, because he's no longer there to be hurt.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Not pissing me off: New computers.
Pissing me off: Hard drives of said new computers.

So tell me when exactly Dell switched to PCI-E for Hard Drives?
How the hell am I going to clone these? We have several duplicators but they only take SATA connections.

Anyone worked with these before?

VVVV: Goddamnit, we could've gotten hard drives? At the rate this is going, that would've been a better choice.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 14, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Sounds like something that you guys ordered. All of our systems are coming with lovely 500GB 7200 rpm drives.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Sounds like you are about to learn WDS/MDT

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RadicalR posted:

Not pissing me off: New computers.
Pissing me off: Hard drives of said new computers.

How the hell am I going to clone these? We have several duplicators but they only take SATA connections.

VVVV: Goddamnit, we could've gotten hard drives? At the rate this is going, that would've been a better choice.

Some specific brands of ssd's come as pci-e cards. They're usually pretty nice, but I wouldn't want to do a large scale deployment with them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RadicalR posted:

Laptop or SFF desktop? Sounds like an mSATA or M.2 card. If it's mSATA there are some simple wire adapters which will convert the cards to a standard SATA plug.

If it's M.2 it may be SATA based in which case it would work the same but it may also be a PCI Express device. If it's native PCIe you'll need a new duplicator or a change to a network based deployment for these machines.

The reason for this switch is that SATA just became too slow for modern SSD speeds. Some PCIe SSDs are basically a RAID controller and a bunch of SATA drives internally, others (look for NVMe) are native PCIe devices and are a lot more efficient as such but are not bootable in all but the newest computers. The card format is also a lot smaller, which is nice for "ultrabook" type devices.

Technically there is a plug called SATA Express that does the PCIe native thing for desktop-form drives, but while there are plenty of SATA Express motherboards out there I haven't yet seen a drive for it where there are a few M.2 PCIe drives out there for OEMs.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

wolrah posted:

Laptop or SFF desktop? Sounds like an mSATA or M.2 card. If it's mSATA there are some simple wire adapters which will convert the cards to a standard SATA plug.

If it's M.2 it may be SATA based in which case it would work the same but it may also be a PCI Express device. If it's native PCIe you'll need a new duplicator or a change to a network based deployment for these machines.

Laptop. Network based deployment is going to kill our network if we go that route. I'll find out more about the drive when I get to work tomorrow.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your current way of imaging is to pull disks out and clone them then network booting in a private network away from your production LAN is no more hassle once it's set up, with the bonus that you don't have to pull hardware out to deploy new machines.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

internet jerk posted:

Speaking of network topography, do you guys have a legit one mapped out? Getting our network services team to produce a logical that isn't total and utter loving garbage has been fruitless. Nobody in management seems to give a gently caress, nobody else in general actually. I've brought it up multiple times and will continue to do so like a broken record but pretty much a non starter.

Also yeah we've* run a targeted Nessus scan on a super low level before that's Affected Production and it's really hard to sympathize when it's something non-intrusive.

*One dude, who got yelled at even though seriously it was basically ping.

Do we work together? Seriously. We're about to do a refresh on a lot of our sensors, and we showed up today at our agency HQ and nobody had even a loving logical network diagram. I couldn't even get them to tell me how much traffic they were pushing across their backbone. You're a loving network engineer. You'd better know how much goddamned traffic is crossing your links. To make things better, a few days ago I did a tcpdump on our sensors there to find out why they weren't getting any hits, only to find that the only traffic that was being monitored was network control traffic from the management network. Today, I found out why: someone had moved the sensor rack to the back of the server room and had plugged the monitoring ports into the management switch.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

You're a loving network engineer.

A lot of network engineers hide behind their credentials and are just as incompetent as everyone else is at their job. I find it funnier when you get to gigantic organizations like Century Link that have to refer all US based issues to one or two engineers in the UK to get anything done :lol:

Still waiting 3 months+ on a network switch configuration change in Texas, apparently the network engineer in India the case is assigned to is on maternity leave and no one else in the group wants to touch it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's a good thing when the CEO posts the current engineering directors job on craigslist, but does not announce it to the company that he is being replaced- right?

I'm sure it's pissing off someone, just not me.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

psydude posted:

Do we work together? Seriously. We're about to do a refresh on a lot of our sensors, and we showed up today at our agency HQ and nobody had even a loving logical network diagram. I couldn't even get them to tell me how much traffic they were pushing across their backbone. You're a loving network engineer. You'd better know how much goddamned traffic is crossing your links. To make things better, a few days ago I did a tcpdump on our sensors there to find out why they weren't getting any hits, only to find that the only traffic that was being monitored was network control traffic from the management network. Today, I found out why: someone had moved the sensor rack to the back of the server room and had plugged the monitoring ports into the management switch.

You're government right? Nobody in government ever has even a ballpark on link utilization unless it's extremely high. The MO ALWAYS is "get the biggest, fastest loving bundle of fiber in here because lol taxpayers' money". The best I could have done at the last place was give you a 24 hour average rounded to the closest quarter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MrMoo posted:

A lot of network engineers hide behind their credentials and are just as incompetent as everyone else is at their job.

Preach. There are a few people who are certified here and they're just awful. Then they got shuffled off and the guy who replaced them was the dude who plugs in the infrastructure of our sites, because that's the same thing right?

:downs:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Pudgygiant posted:

You're government right? Nobody in government ever has even a ballpark on link utilization unless it's extremely high. The MO ALWAYS is "get the biggest, fastest loving bundle of fiber in here because lol taxpayers' money". The best I could have done at the last place was give you a 24 hour average rounded to the closest quarter.

This is absolutely not me and I'm insulted you would insinuate my core trunk is averaging .1% utilization this morning

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psydude posted:

I couldn't even get them to tell me how much traffic they were pushing across their backbone. You're a loving network engineer. You'd better know how much goddamned traffic is crossing your links.

Memories.

"Don't do that, it slows the whole network down."

How? It's like a 30mb/s operation because the server is so old.

"It floods the network."

Oh yea? How fast is the link?

"I don't know."

You don't have it graphed anywhere?

"No, we don't know how much traffic it's sending. It's just too much."

What?

After getting some monitoring tools installed, I find there's a 100mb HUB (in 2013) hiding in a ceiling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That reminds me of the time I worked in a computer store and some guy came in asking for a hub. We told him to get a switch, it's better and the same price. He insisted he liked hubs better.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cojawfee posted:

That reminds me of the time I worked in a computer store and some guy came in asking for a hub. We told him to get a switch, it's better and the same price. He insisted he liked hubs better.

Some network sniffing tools for games from back in the day (eqmon comes to mind) relied on unswitched networking, and switches that could do port mirroring were way out of the average gamer's price range and ability at the time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No you don't understand, it's an enterprise grade hub.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Keeping a 4 port hub in your bag is a good way to (cheaply) troubleshoot network issues when you don't have fancy switches. I used to keep one in my bag when I did field work for a small computer repair company.

poo poo pissing me off: Useless support. I was on a 8.5 hour phone call on Thursday and it took over two hours for a support tech to get on the call from the third party software we were troubleshooting. It only took them 30 minutes to prove that they had nothing of value to provide and we were better off troubleshooting it on our own.

We ended up fixing it on our own after they left 45 minutes in. I cannot wait until we write our own replacement to their poo poo software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had some Linksys 5 port 'switches' that were actually hubs. What the flying gently caress.

I also thing we had a Netgear 'hub' that was really a switch. WE CANT SNIFF poo poo WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psydude posted:

No you don't understand, it's an enterprise grade hub.

Probably installed by a :siren: DYNEX CERTIFIED NETWORK ENGINEER :siren: