Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I love fall because I get to make tasty stuff in giant pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drat, I feel like Superman compared to a lot of you. On any given day I could lift a million weights at the gym, drink an obscene amount, eat a family size blue box of mac and cheese with a couple andouille sausages sliced up and fried, with a metric ton of red pepper flakes, pass out and wake up the next day with no ill effects. I'm not even one of those invincible-feeling 18 year olds either, I'm 31.

I'm probably going to die young anyway.

angryhampster posted:

:):respek::)

Got some black bean soup in my slow cooker right now. Can't wait to see how it's going to make my apartment smell when I get home tonight.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 14, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryhampster posted:

I don't know what that is but it looks tasty I think.

This jetlag sucks, 6 hour time difference is hitting me hard this time. I'm not sure if waking up early to lift made things worse but I have a feeling it did. 10:30am and I could really go for a nap.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Looks like cheddar and broccoli soup. mmmmm.

I need to find a good potato soup recipe.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

NitroSpazzz posted:

I don't know what that is but it looks tasty I think.

This jetlag sucks, 6 hour time difference is hitting me hard this time. I'm not sure if waking up early to lift made things worse but I have a feeling it did. 10:30am and I could really go for a nap.

Grab a cup of coffee, stand barefoot on carpet and scrunch your toes up.

Just be careful because if your building is overrun by terrorists and they shoot the glass it will cut your feet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Midniter posted:

drat, I feel like Superman compared to a lot of you. On any given day I could lift a million weights at the gym, drink an obscene amount, eat a family size blue box of mac and cheese with a couple andouille sausages sliced up and fried, with a metric ton of red pepper flakes, pass out and wake up the next day with no ill effects. I'm not even one of those invincible-feeling 18 year olds either, I'm 31.

I'm probably going to die young anyway.

welcome to the club :respek: also andouille is the loving BOMB.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Midniter posted:

This was me until a fated trip to Cuba 6 years ago. Last night there, got horrible, horrible food poisoning. Ended up getting C-Diff from the antibiotics they gave me when I got back home. Then ended up having my entire gut flora wiped out from the antibiotics for the C-diff. Spent a year puking every day, hitting the can 10-12 times. Only the last 2-3 years I've felt "better", but I'm still not my old self.

I miss my old self :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Siochain posted:

I miss my old self :(

Ditto.

I miss the days I could eat 20lb of deep fried anything and be perfectly loving ok.

These days a slice of pizza puts me on the can a good 2 hours before the alarm goes off in the morning.

Fragile loving piece of poo poo bodies.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

:stare: was that real

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Siochain posted:

This was me until a fated trip to Cuba 6 years ago. Last night there, got horrible, horrible food poisoning. Ended up getting C-Diff from the antibiotics they gave me when I got back home. Then ended up having my entire gut flora wiped out from the antibiotics for the C-diff. Spent a year puking every day, hitting the can 10-12 times. Only the last 2-3 years I've felt "better", but I'm still not my old self.

C-diff is seriously scary stuff and will utterly destroy you and take a long time to get over. I had it in 2009? (or maybe 2010) and I'm still not back to where I was before in terms of strength, endurance, etc. poo poo it had me living in the hospital for 6 months, and surviving on TPN (IV nutrition) for more than a year because my gut was so hosed up. It changed the way I looked at a lot of things that I took for granted.

The last few pages have reminded me how hosed up my GI system is. Every drat post and it "Oh yeah I had that in xxxx year"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

I didn't earn my title for nothin'.

also. a slice of pizza nets a 6lb weightloss. awww gently caress yes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ugh, job poo poo is starting to get to me again. I'm still waiting to get rolling on the job they hired me for nearly 2 years ago, because they've been dicking around with a new work order system and a ton of other BS in that time, preventing me from getting started on necessary maintenance. So I've been farmed off to other departments or just left to my own devices, wandering around and fixing any random problems I come across. Now I'm starting to hear mutterings from other office people about how I'm not "showing enough enthusiasm for the job and need to be more proactive" in doing stuff. :psyduck: Like I didn't single-handedly keep Campus Support going when the main guy there bailed due to health reasons and the other transferred to a better paying position. I then trained two new employees for that department, and took it from one of the poorest performing departments to the one that gets poo poo done. I've also been the one that has gathered an absolute shitload of useful data about the campus that will make future jobs a lot easier because all the information will be right there.

And somehow I'm the lazy one. gently caress this place so much.

If I even think they are going to try to throw me under the bus I'm taking my collection of pictures of all the crumbling infrastructure/lovely repairs to people that may find it...interesting.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 14, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat Leica that sucks, hope you are able to treat or at least control it with meds. Welcome to the hosed up GI club. I'd recommend keeping a food journal/log of some kind for a while to figure out which food are good and bad for your situation.

So how does this work exactly? My gut always hurts in one way or another, so I won't be sure what food does or doesn't make it hurt. I eat pretty healthy for the most part, I just never have any sort of noticeable reaction to anything I eat so it would be hard to tell.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

leica posted:

So how does this work exactly? My gut always hurts in one way or another, so I won't be sure what food does or doesn't make it hurt. I eat pretty healthy for the most part, I just never have any sort of noticeable reaction to anything I eat so it would be hard to tell.

That makes it tricky. For me it's a pretty obvious yes I feel fine after I ate that or no I'm in pain and/or stuck on the toilet. You might be able to notice some foods make it worse which is at least a start. Basically write down everything you eat/drink and try to guess serving size, then if later you feel shittier you can go back and look at the log and start narrowing it down.

Once you're on some meds or something and get to the point of non-constant pain and stuff it will be a lot easier to figure out good and bad foods. Right after the c-diff I didn't bother because everything was a problem but it got better over time.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

NitroSpazzz posted:

C-diff is seriously scary stuff and will utterly destroy you and take a long time to get over. I had it in 2009? (or maybe 2010) and I'm still not back to where I was before in terms of strength, endurance, etc. poo poo it had me living in the hospital for 6 months, and surviving on TPN (IV nutrition) for more than a year because my gut was so hosed up. It changed the way I looked at a lot of things that I took for granted.

The last few pages have reminded me how hosed up my GI system is. Every drat post and it "Oh yeah I had that in xxxx year"

My doctor was impressed by the fact that I had a full-blown case and was still (mostly) functional. A full month of retarded antibiotics to completely wipe out my gut flora and its "fixed", but, yeah. I'm not what I used to be, and it sucks. Lack of energy and shittiness post-C-diff led to me getting way out of shape and putting on nearly 50lbs (any amount of exertion would cause me to have the urge to vomit, and would necessitate a rapid trip to the nearest toilet.) I'm still trying to get back into shape (not that I was fit by any means, but I wasn't where I am now). People in healthcare/people who've had it are the only ones who get how loving nasty it is.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

Which energy drink can was used for comparison this time?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a midterm for an engineering class that for some reason my uni requires cs majors to take and it will literally be the death of me. I already had to take discrete maths and advanced physics, why the bloody gently caress am I also required to take a course that has me designing digital circuits then providing how many volts the circuit can handle or whatever

Also, Karnaugh maps are the bane of my existence

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

I have a midterm for an engineering class that for some reason my uni requires cs majors to take and it will literally be the death of me. I already had to take discrete maths and advanced physics, why the bloody gently caress am I also required to take a course that has me designing digital circuits then providing how many volts the circuit can handle or whatever

Also, Karnaugh maps are the bane of my existence

Because it's good for you, you trifling CS bitch.

-- Signed, a Computer Engineering graduate, the smuggest engineering degree

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Siochain posted:

My doctor was impressed by the fact that I had a full-blown case and was still (mostly) functional. A full month of retarded antibiotics to completely wipe out my gut flora and its "fixed", but, yeah. I'm not what I used to be, and it sucks. Lack of energy and shittiness post-C-diff led to me getting way out of shape and putting on nearly 50lbs (any amount of exertion would cause me to have the urge to vomit, and would necessitate a rapid trip to the nearest toilet.) I'm still trying to get back into shape (not that I was fit by any means, but I wasn't where I am now). People in healthcare/people who've had it are the only ones who get how loving nasty it is.
Similar here, I had swine flu for a week or so before I went in to get some meds. Meds wiped out the swine flu but also my gut. I didn't go back in until I had dropped 20lb in under a week and a half and could barely walk because my knees hurt so bad. My potassium and blood pressure was so low when I checked in they hooked up four IV's and ran them non stop for 48 hours. I am NOT a smart man...I had a similar check in this spring with e-coli. I went from 140lb to 85lb then up to 150 very over-hydrated pounds.

Strange though I never got the vomiting with c-diff at all, just the constant fear of nearly instantaneous bowel emptying at a moments notice.

Tusen Takk posted:

I already had to take discrete maths and advanced physics, why the bloody gently caress am I also required to take a course that has me designing digital circuits then providing how many volts the circuit can handle or whatever
Same reason I had to take programming classes as a materials engineer...because.

WTF was just asked if I wanted to move back to WI in a round-about way for a different job with my company. It's more tempting than it should be.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 14, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Because it's good for you, you trifling CS bitch.

-- Signed, a Computer Engineering graduate, the smuggest engineering degree
I'm actually kind of glad I have to take this class, because I was debating between Computer Engineering and Software Engineering and this class has shown me that I chose correctly and now I will never look back and wonder if I would have wanted to be a CE instead. So there's a silver lining I guess.

The good news is that I now understand K-maps and now get to move on to top-level design circuits and figuring out how to read timing diagrams :smithicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

K-maps aren't difficult. Actually wiring up what the K-maps tell you to do sucks CSB's dick.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

Which energy drink can was used for comparison this time?

No cans today. just it and the junkyard it is attached to.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I still have the image burned into my retinas, only it keeps getting bigger

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jesus Christ, guys! I'm not sure whether to feel good or guilty that I still have a reasonably cast-iron gut at 45. I can't eat near as much as I did as a teenager, but I still seem to have at least 90% of the resistance to hot/spicy/fried/etc. It all tries to make me fat ('cuz I'm not kastein), but rarely tries to kill me. I guess I should feel grateful for that, and generally being, if not healthy, not too unhealthy.. A few creaky joints and being about 65 pounds overweight is all I can really claim. Oh, and horribly near-sighted with one cataract, but I'm hoping to take care of that soon-ish, depending on what insurance will cover.

angryhampster posted:

Oh, yes. This to me is the only good thing about cold (for Texas, which is admittedly mild) weather. Hot soups, hot chocolate, and hot cereal. Well, that, and my utility bills go down (gas heat way cheaper than electric AC.)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
AI: More poo poo being sprayed than in a truck stop's mens room.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Someone here brought up Yik Yak, and it is terrible. It doesn't help that when I'm on it during the day im in proximity to a high school. I fear for my kids' future.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can eat what I want and not have it come violently out of both ends, but if I so much as look at a cheeseburger my rear end gains 2 lbs. Once I hit 35, whoa nelly, did my metabolism slow down. Quitting smoking didn't help, either. Or the Monster energy drinks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

K-maps aren't difficult. Actually wiring up what the K-maps tell you to do sucks CSB's dick.

If you're using k-maps in industry I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 terms and a quine mccluskey aint one.

(electrical and computer engineering here, specializing in automotive embedded systems. Fun poo poo.)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Kastein, teach me your ways.

I'm an ME but I'm trying to get an ECE masters. Embedded systems are scary :ohdear:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

savesthedayrocks posted:

Someone here brought up Yik Yak, and it is terrible. It doesn't help that when I'm on it during the day im in proximity to a high school. I fear for my kids' future.

I use it to troll the students at the college I work at, keeps me entertained.

Other than that yeah it is loving horrible and a constant reminder why humanity should be burned from the surface of this planet.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
hmmm this pcd calls out 7075-T7451 plate for the material type :what:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Same reason I had to take programming classes as a materials engineer...because.

Really?
I'm pursuing the same degree and the only programming class it requires is the generic "Intro to C" class or the even more generic "Programming for Engineering Majors" and that's it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good news and bad news

Good news: the movie "Duel" is out on bluray.
Bad news: It's only available in the $100(half price on day 1, ooooh) steven spielberg collection because movie studios are dicks.

And they wonder why people loving pirate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan of the film to go for that, but what else is in the collection?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan of the film to go for that, but what else is in the collection?

a bunch of bullshit dinosaur and alien movies

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Steven-Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Blu-ray/107538/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uh, yeah, I think I'll pass on that. No idea what made them decide to do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really thought I'd eliminated the horrible people from my life (aside from myself).

If someone said to you "Man, it's really good to know that I can always rely on you and trust you." Is the appropriate resPonse to try and gently caress THEIR YOUNGER SISTER?

I'm gonna burn down this entire loving city.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Doctor asked me if felt good enough to go home.

Hell yes I do. Now get someone to unhook me from all these tubes before I do it myself and set off every alarm at the nurses station.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I really thought I'd eliminated the horrible people from my life (aside from myself).

If someone said to you "Man, it's really good to know that I can always rely on you and trust you." Is the appropriate resPonse to try and gently caress THEIR YOUNGER SISTER?

I'm gonna burn down this entire loving city.

You have the best friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

You have the best friends

I'm more upset that I thought I'd eliminated all the poo poo from my life.

And my sister found one of my married friends on Tinder.

• Locked thread