Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

Every AT&T store is out of stock and online says 21 days or something like that :(

I can still cash in on the promo for the iphone 5 for $200 trade-in though if the order is placed this month

Not sure if this is a question, but yes you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I would have preferred to do it all in store but just placed my (pre) order online. Do I mail my iphone in or take it to a local AT&T store after I get my new phone or what?

Is the Nation 450 w/Rollover always going to be the cheapest voice plan? Do they ever have promotions? Like everyone else in 2014 I hardly ever talk on the phone.

Also I was thankfully able to keep my unlimited data without hassle like having to call them or "keep current plan" not being an option. I didn't see my unlimited text nor an option to add it. Do I have to re-add that once I get it?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So I traded in one of my old iPhone 5's to AT&T for the $200 promotion that they are doing. I got this recycled plastic card with a credit card number but no Visa/MasterCard logo or anything. I have activated the card, and according to their website and their phone system I have a $200 balance on the card. Now I wanted to use some of that money to get AppleCare on my phone, so I called Apple and they talked me through the diag and they sent me a link in my email to complete the transaction. Except I can't complete the transaction with this gift card. It gives an error when I try to complete the purchase, but it doesn't say anything about the card being invalid. On a whim I decided to try to use this gift card at a restaurant to see if it would work there, low and behold the card was declined when they tried to run it. So what's the deal with these cards? Can they only be used with AT&T? If that's the case I'm loving pissed because I specifically asked when I was doing the trade in if this card could be used anywhere.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When I bought my iPhone 6 on the AT&T store I had the option to buy AppleCare. Try buying it through the AT&T web store?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Christoff posted:

When I bought my iPhone 6 on the AT&T store I had the option to buy AppleCare. Try buying it through the AT&T web store?

I can't find any place on AT&T's website to buy it.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Oh yeah, I just read the fine print. Card can only be used at AT&T stores. Now I'm loving pissed because I was lied to directly to my face when I specifically asked if the card could be used anywhere as a normal gift card. I'm going back in there tomorrow morning and loving reaming someone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can't you just like use it to pay your bill?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
But what about his Olive Garden tab?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, gift card is for ATTS only because it's a gift card. I can understand being pissed if they lied though. Just use it towards your bill and you are good.

FYI ATT can sell Apple care, but only at time of purchase.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Oh yeah, I just read the fine print. Card can only be used at AT&T stores. Now I'm loving pissed because I was lied to directly to my face when I specifically asked if the card could be used anywhere as a normal gift card. I'm going back in there tomorrow morning and loving reaming someone.

I get that you are mad on principal but you should just pay for AppleCare with your actual money and pay your ATT bill with the card. It is literally the same thing.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Beyond the 14 day return period, if I want to "return" a phone on the Next program, would my only option be to buy it outright then sell it and try to recoup my cost?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Donald Kimball posted:

Beyond the 14 day return period, if I want to "return" a phone on the Next program, would my only option be to buy it outright then sell it and try to recoup my cost?

Once you are outside of 14 days you cannot return the phone, so yes your option would be to pay off the phone at any time, and a logical way to make up that cost is selling the phone.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Huge_Midget posted:

TJChap2840 posted:

I get that you are mad on principal but you should just pay for AppleCare with your actual money and pay your ATT bill with the card. It is literally the same thing.

I am sorry that the rep misled you. But honestly, going there and yelling about it will only give a lovely time for everyone. The manager won't get him in trouble. And they will just insist that the rep didn't lie. Sorry but that's the reality.

Buy your apple carr, put the credit on your bill, don't go back to that store.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
So I've always assumed that AT&T Next was a rip off, but I just did the math out (considering the drop in monthly charge that comes from using NEXT) and the cost over 2 years is EXACTLY the same. I don't plan on doing the trade-in thing after the 12 or 18 months or whatever, so it's the same idea for both the 2-year commitment and the NEXT plan.

Am I missing something here? Are there any hidden fees or any stipulations that I'm not seeing with NEXT?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TJChap2840 posted:

Yeah, it may not be ideal but pay your AT&T bill with it and you just freed up the cash you were going to give to AT&T anyways to spend any way you see fit, it's not like they locked you into buying overpriced accessories with it.

bvoid posted:

So I've always assumed that AT&T Next was a rip off, but I just did the math out (considering the drop in monthly charge that comes from using NEXT) and the cost over 2 years is EXACTLY the same. I don't plan on doing the trade-in thing after the 12 or 18 months or whatever, so it's the same idea for both the 2-year commitment and the NEXT plan.

Am I missing something here? Are there any hidden fees or any stipulations that I'm not seeing with NEXT?

Next is a zero interest 20 month loan with no prepayment penalty and no device premium, it is a stupid, stupid good deal in a way that you are right to be suspicious of because zero interest loans without a catch are not a thing that normally exists, there is generally some sort of major catch. If you are a long time customer they don't even do a hard pull on your credit report, there is basically no reason not to take the loan if you have good credit.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 10, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If your monthly plan costs are more advantageous over time by going AT&T Next, then by all means do it.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, if I want to buy a new Moto X on NEXT, but also do something with Moto Maker, how would I go about it?

Can I purchase it in store and get a code for the website or what?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

emocrat posted:

So, if I want to buy a new Moto X on NEXT, but also do something with Moto Maker, how would I go about it?

Can I purchase it in store and get a code for the website or what?

From my own research on this topic it looks like nobody knows what's going on with Motomaker codes and Next. You can certainly use a 2-year upgrade through Motomaker but that may or may not be ideal.

Unless any of the AT&T reps in this thread can weigh in to the contrary, if you really want to have a customized phone on a payment plan the best option for you is to buy a Pure Edition with Motorola's financing.

nimper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bvoid posted:

AFAIK, Next used to be a rip-off because they didn't give you a discount on your bill for choosing it. So you were paying a monthly fee that included a subsidy, but not using the subsidy. Now you get $15 or $25 off, and then can use that money to pay for Next, and it makes much more financial sense.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Depending on phone Next is actually the better deal most* of the time.

*Specifically with high end phones.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, I have a launch day iPhone 5s. I'm on a mobile share value plan, so AT&T is going to let me upgrade to an iPhone 6 on a Next plan.

If I do this. Can I then unlock my iPhone 5s which is currently under contract? Or will I still have to wait until the contract on the 5s is over before I can unlock it and sell it?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

From my own research on this topic it looks like nobody knows what's going on with Motomaker codes and Next. You can certainly use a 2-year upgrade through Motomaker but that may or may not be ideal.

Unless any of the AT&T reps in this thread can weigh in to the contrary, if you really want to have a customized phone on a payment plan the best option for you is to buy a Pure Edition with Motorola's financing.

Typically, in store, a customer can change how they purchased their phone within the 14 return period. For example, if someone bought an iPhone on a 2 year contract, thought it over, and wanted to change it to Next, it can be done. Basically the phone's IMEI is reclassified to be sell-able again and your original purchase price is refunded. Then it is sold to you again, but under the Next installment plan.

So, this leads me to a possible solution. You could try ordering the phone from MotoMaker on a 2 year agreement, bringing it to a store to be reclassified and put on Next instead. The X factor is finding out if AT&T can take returns on MotoMaker phones. I suppose you could always return it to Motorola if not and just get a refund. Just don't open it or whatever to avoid a potential restocking fee.

Good luck.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Huh, seems like its all a bit of a clusterfuck with Moto Maker. Thanks for the info guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Typically, in store, a customer can change how they purchased their phone within the 14 return period. For example, if someone bought an iPhone on a 2 year contract, thought it over, and wanted to change it to Next, it can be done. Basically the phone's IMEI is reclassified to be sell-able again and your original purchase price is refunded. Then it is sold to you again, but under the Next installment plan.

So, this leads me to a possible solution. You could try ordering the phone from MotoMaker on a 2 year agreement, bringing it to a store to be reclassified and put on Next instead. The X factor is finding out if AT&T can take returns on MotoMaker phones. I suppose you could always return it to Motorola if not and just get a refund. Just don't open it or whatever to avoid a potential restocking fee.

Good luck.

I can tell you right now ATT cannot take that return and exchange. It would charge back the reimbursement ATTS gives Motorola, so simply put no way unless you have someone who isn't good on policies.

The only time ATT Corp can take a return, exchange or whatever on a purchased phone on if it was purchased through an ATT Corp store or att.com. Period.

I've been dealing with Apple on these issues like crazy, so I'm quite experienced on this :)

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I can tell you right now ATT cannot take that return and exchange. It would charge back the reimbursement ATTS gives Motorola, so simply put no way unless you have someone who isn't good on policies.

The only time ATT Corp can take a return, exchange or whatever on a purchased phone on if it was purchased through an ATT Corp store or att.com. Period.

I've been dealing with Apple on these issues like crazy, so I'm quite experienced on this :)

If we sell the motor maker cards again, that would be the way around it. Those are sold Luke direct fulfill and the customer would just return their previous phone in the box it ships in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

If we sell the motor maker cards again, that would be the way around it. Those are sold Luke direct fulfill and the customer would just return their previous phone in the box it ships in.

This is correct, although I just haven't seen any cards for the new X yet, which is just weird.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My autopay applies in a week for the bill that includes the $40 upgrade fee associated with my iPhone 6. If I wanted to try to get the upgrade fee waived, would I have better luck with calling or online chat? I've had this line for 7 years and many years ago, I think I got Premier support when I called in because I have a Cisco FAN attached.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did mine through online chat. Just be nice and you'll be fine. "Hey I'm a good long standing customer and was just wondering if I could get the upgrade fee waived? Thanks :)"

Doesn't matter if you pay it now or not they'll just credit that to your next bill

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm currently on an unlimited data plan and really want tethering but I just can't make the numbers work in my favor.

Here is my current bill: (23% FAN discount)
code:
Primary Line (iPhone 6+, two-year contract)
=============================================
$46.20 ($60.00 - 23%)	700 minutes plan
$23.10 ($30.00 - 23%)   Unlimited data
$30.00 = Family SMS/MMS

Second Line (iPhone 5S, two year-contract)
$9.99  = 2nd line
$15.00 = 200MB data     (wife sometimes goes a tiny bit over but not much)

Total == $124.29 (before taxes/fees)
The CHEAPEST mobile shared plan would be:
code:
$61.60 ($80 - 23%)	8 GB Shared
$40.00 (iPhone 6+)
$40.00 (iPhone 5S)

Total == $141.60 (before taxes/fees)
Even if I opted for NEXT instead of the two-year contracts, the bill would still be the same because the $40.00/month fees would become $15.00/month but then you add the next 18 plan and you're back to nearly $40.00/month.

Am I missing anything?

I hate to pay more money and lose unlimited data just for tethering but I guess that's my only option?

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I just got a random charge from "AT&T MOBILITY II" for $58.50. Any ideas what that might be, or how I can figure it out?

My normal monthly charge is "ATT MOB RECURRING" for $179.56. Customer service was no help. They basically said my last charge should have just been my monthly bill and they have no idea what that one is for.

I plan to just have American Express do a chargeback as soon as it goes from pending to posted. Hopefully it's not related to the iPhones I ordered 9/27 and this messes up their shipping if I charge it back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

I'm currently on an unlimited data plan and really want tethering but I just can't make the numbers work in my favor.

Here is my current bill: (23% FAN discount)
code:
Primary Line (iPhone 6+, two-year contract)
$46.20 ($60.00 - 23%)	700 minutes plan
$23.10 ($30.00 - 23%)   Unlimited data
$30.00 = Family SMS/MMS

Second Line (iPhone 5S, two year-contract)
$9.99  = 2nd line
$15.00 = 200MB data     (wife sometimes goes a tiny bit over but not much)

Total == $124.29 (before taxes/fees)

The CHEAPEST mobile shared plan would be:
code:

$61.60 ($80 - 23%)	8 GB Shared
$40.00 (iPhone 6+)
$40.00 (iPhone 5S)

Total == $141.60 (before taxes/fees)

Even if I opted for NEXT instead of the two-year contracts, the bill would still be the same because the $40.00/month fees would become $15.00/month but then you add the next 18 plan and you're back to nearly $40.00/month.

Am I missing anything?

I hate to pay more money and lose unlimited data just for tethering but I guess that's my only option?

Yeah in your case your older plan is just a cheaper plan.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Raimondo posted:

I just got a random charge from "AT&T MOBILITY II" for $58.50. Any ideas what that might be, or how I can figure it out?

My normal monthly charge is "ATT MOB RECURRING" for $179.56. Customer service was no help. They basically said my last charge should have just been my monthly bill and they have no idea what that one is for.

I plan to just have American Express do a chargeback as soon as it goes from pending to posted. Hopefully it's not related to the iPhones I ordered 9/27 and this messes up their shipping if I charge it back.

Did you call Amex to get contact info for the vendor?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do they still have that thing going where you switch to a Mobile Share Value plan, they switch your phones to the $15 / $25 price immediately? Because that was a pretty sweet deal.

Raimondo posted:

Were they Next phones? Maybe it's the sales tax?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Were they Next phones? Maybe it's the sales tax?

Sounds exactly like this. Did you just upgrade?

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Yes they are next phones. I added 2 lines for my parents to join my account. I got an email a couple hours after the charge, that the phones have shipped, so it sounds like this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Do they still have that thing going where you switch to a Mobile Share Value plan, they switch your phones to the $15 / $25 price immediately? Because that was a pretty sweet deal.

Yes, any contracts signed before Feb 2nd, 2014 are ignored.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I kinda want to switch to the 15gb plan to get 30gb but I don't really have any use for it yet. There are 5 smart phones but I don't think we've ever cracked 5gb yet. For 30 more bucks it is very tempting to triple my data...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

I kinda want to switch to the 15gb plan to get 30gb but I don't really have any use for it yet. There are 5 smart phones but I don't think we've ever cracked 5gb yet. For 30 more bucks it is very tempting to triple my data...

Keep in mind if you have a FAN discount that goes against the $30 as well.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Does anyone know if people are still having problems getting LTE to work on the new Moto X Pure Editions with new nano-SIM's? I have the phone on order but I'm just now seeing that some people are having to jump through hoops to get LTE to work. Something about the Pure Editions IMEI not being in AT&T's database (or something)?

I currently have AT&T and an AT&T branded HTC M7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SouthLAnd posted:

Does anyone know if people are still having problems getting LTE to work on the new Moto X Pure Editions with new nano-SIM's? I have the phone on order but I'm just now seeing that some people are having to jump through hoops to get LTE to work. Something about the Pure Editions IMEI not being in AT&T's database (or something)?

I currently have AT&T and an AT&T branded HTC M7.

I haven't heard of this issue. If I were to guess, it's either APN settings, a bad set of SIM's, or bad provisioning on the system. All of which can be resolved with a trip to the store.