Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think that another reason why people netdeck is because cards cost money. If you buy expensive cards for your own brew, chances are that it just isn't going to be good, and you can't afford to just buy cards for another brew. If you buy cards for an established list, you at least know that the deck is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PleasantDirge posted:

And like AATrek said, almost never is a deck the pure brainchild of one player, it takes a village to brew a good deck.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to change my name back to Chamale, that joke got old. Please update your ignore lists accordingly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Some people get a lot of enjoyment from building decks and testing them out. Other people just enjoy piloting decks that are proven to be good. Neither preference is wrong. Whatever allows you to enjoy Magic.

The only bad Magic players are those that bitterly complain after losing and blame it on anything BUT their own skill.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

And like AATrek said, almost never is a deck the pure brainchild of one player, it takes a village to brew a good deck.

Way to force [Chamale aka AATREK CURES KIDS] to change his name with your terrible quoting. RIP Best forum name 2014.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The thing I don't like about Net-decking is that there are lots of people who netdeck and then have almost no idea how to actually pilot the deck but will still parrot off the whole "this deck won an Open/GP/PT" spiel when you ask them about it.

I enjoy dicking around with building my own decks. Taking an idea, slapping it together, smashing it into a friends deck, tweaking it bit by bit myself or on the advice/suggestions of friends at my LGS and then playing it again, and then tweaking it again, etc. The most competitive Magic I play is FNM though and I've never won with them (lots of 2-2 though) but I have a lot of fun.

I think all the deck-building I've done has made me a bit better at Limited too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

The thing I don't like about Net-decking is that there are lots of people who netdeck and then have almost no idea how to actually pilot the deck but will still parrot off the whole "this deck won an Open/GP/PT" spiel when you ask them about it.

I enjoy dicking around with building my own decks. Taking an idea, slapping it together, smashing it into a friends deck, tweaking it bit by bit myself or on the advice/suggestions of friends at my LGS and then playing it again, and then tweaking it again, etc. The most competitive Magic I play is FNM though and I've never won with them (lots of 2-2 though) but I have a lot of fun.

I think all the deck-building I've done has made me a bit better at Limited too.

I hate deckbuilding and pulling cards out of boxes and poo poo. It's probably the biggest barrier to me playing constructed magic. Honestly just printing out a list and putting it together once is the easiest for me so that's usually why I do it. Then again I'm playing eternal formats where like, there's almost no point in brewing up some wacky goofball thing just to see how it does.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
This week's Magic Online Announcements has a satisfaction survey that asks about Hearthstone and some known issues that will be fixed on October 22.

quote:

Let Us Know What You Think
Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve Magic Online. Let us know about your play experience in this player survey!

Khans of Tarkir Known Issues
The following are a list of known issues around the release of Khans of Tarkir on Magic Online. We are working right now to resolve everything on the below list. In the meantime, we want to get this list out to players so they are aware of what we're up to and so they know how to avoid problematic bugs. As of now, the entirety of the below list have planned fixes launching on Wednesday, October 22, during downtime.
  • Sidisi, Brood Tyrant's trigger creates multiple zombies if multiple creatures are put into the graveyard at the same time.
  • When activating abilities mana should be automatically consumed
  • Raid does not trigger when creatures are placed onto the battlefield from the opponent's library
  • Ashcloud Phoenix returns under the wrong player's control when controlled by a player other than its owner
  • Clever Impersonator doesn't trigger the raid ability of the opponent's creature that it copies
  • If a planeswalker would take trample damage, and is removed from the battlefield before damage, it crashes the client
  • Some cards that were printed at a rarity other than common outside of Magic Online are showing up as legal in the Pauper format, even though they are not commons on Magic Online

MOCS Promo

Metalworker

Event Participation Promo

Temple of Mystery

Store Activity Promo

Brain Maggot

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure that any reasonable definition of netdecking gives a pass to the people who actually collaborated on the deck, or at least on their own distinct variant. (People might still accuse you of it in ignorance, of course.) The point is that you're not going to convince me that your average dude at FNM last year brewed and tested mono-black devotion by himself.
No, but the average dude at FNM also doesn't claim to have created the deck and doesn't place a particularly high premium on being known as a brilliant deck designer. And if they're serious they probably did spend some time testing and making tweaks to the list and sideboard as a response to metagame considerations. On the other hand people who (seriously) complain about net-decking seem to put a lot of value on being an original deck designer, and are universally convinced that if only it wasn't for those drat dirty netdecks their latest brew would have torn up the local tournament scene and shown their brilliance to one and all. While they'd doubtless do better in circumstances where fewer people had access to tight, tuned lists, convergent evolution of decks is absolutely a thing and I seriously doubt that most people who complain about "net decking" would do nearly so well as they'd like to imagine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

If they were in the same colors I would play siege rhino and Quickling together all day for troll value and sweet synergy.

Then again, so would everyone. Unironically. :mad:

It is your duty now to build 4 color Quickling Rhinos.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I hate deckbuilding and pulling cards out of boxes and poo poo. It's probably the biggest barrier to me playing constructed magic. Honestly just printing out a list and putting it together once is the easiest for me so that's usually why I do it. Then again I'm playing eternal formats where like, there's almost no point in brewing up some wacky goofball thing just to see how it does.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I love brewing the most random jankiest Johnniest decks imaginable. And I will trade for the stupidest cards to do it. I will loving kill you by shrapnel blasting a Scuttling Doom Engine, you fucker! Or Spite of Mogis-ing my own Boros Reckoner after dumping half my deck (packed with Divinations, Jace's Ingenuity, and Steam Augury) into the grave!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure that any reasonable definition of netdecking gives a pass to the people who actually collaborated on the deck, or at least on their own distinct variant. (People might still accuse you of it in ignorance, of course.) The point is that you're not going to convince me that your average dude at FNM last year brewed and tested mono-black devotion by himself.

I think that actually blaming people who "netdeck" goes overboard a lot of the time, but not inexplicably so. The people who borrow decklists from the internet are a convenient scapegoat for people's (valid, understandable) frustrations with the very easily and quickly 'solved' nature of current Magic metagames in general.

Oh good, no one can ever accuse me of netdecking Abzan Midrange since I posted several versions of it in the Brewhaus before Khans was even legal. :v:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh good, no one can ever accuse me of netdecking Abzan Midrange since I posted several versions of it in the Brewhaus before Khans was even legal. :v:

It's a Biff situation, like in the hit motion picture Back to the Future 2

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlternateNu posted:

Abzesper

Espzan

Azper

Azpergers

Asparagus

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The only way to avoid accusations of netdecking is to brew alone in a cabin in the woods like the Unabomber, only making yourself known to the world when you send scrawling, typewritten manifestos on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For sure, the version I was brewing to start was a lot worse than the one Lax used at the PT - I think my first draft of Abzan Rhinos had Ajani Steadfast and Polukranos as additional 4-drops (which eventually became High Sentinels which eventually just turned into Wingmate Rocs).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LGD posted:

No, but the average dude at FNM also doesn't claim to have created the deck and doesn't place a particularly high premium on being known as a brilliant deck designer. And if they're serious they probably did spend some time testing and making tweaks to the list and sideboard as a response to metagame considerations. On the other hand people who (seriously) complain about net-decking seem to put a lot of value on being an original deck designer, and are universally convinced that if only it wasn't for those drat dirty netdecks their latest brew would have torn up the local tournament scene and shown their brilliance to one and all. While they'd doubtless do better in circumstances where fewer people had access to tight, tuned lists, convergent evolution of decks is absolutely a thing and I seriously doubt that most people who complain about "net decking" would do nearly so well as they'd like to imagine.

I ran into this a few months ago at a legacy IQ. The guy was playing slivers. Actual slivers. And not good slivers with 20 lords and Crystalline. No disruption, no Aether Vial, no spells at all that I saw. not even good lands; just 5 color slivers and stuff like Rupture Spire. He knew that if he wouldn't have had mana problems in our games (it turns out spending your first 2 turns to play a tapped rainbow land is bad) he would have wiped the floor with me. He didn't have a single creature successfully attack in either game. This is the same guy that tried to call a judge on my Delver checklist card because proxies aren't allowed, and who I explained my "cast probe for life, tap land, daze probe, replay land" (I was mana screwed and had just drawn a Confidant) half a dozen times before he pretended to understand. Clearly a master brewer. I don't remember his exact words regarding Delver netdecks, but I do remember being moderately insulted, which is quite the accomplishment, and that I could have gotten him DQ'd if I'd felt like it. But it was the last round, so screw it. Also of note, I was playing Grixis Delver which was both bad and not a net deck.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The only way to avoid accusations of netdecking is to brew alone in a cabin in the woods like the Unabomber, only making yourself known to the world when you send scrawling, typewritten manifestos on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

The WOOnabomber?

WOOnabrewer?

Ill stop

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

See, I'm the exact opposite. I love brewing the most random jankiest Johnniest decks imaginable. And I will trade for the stupidest cards to do it. I will loving kill you by shrapnel blasting a Scuttling Doom Engine, you fucker! Or Spite of Mogis-ing my own Boros Reckoner after dumping half my deck (packed with Divinations, Jace's Ingenuity, and Steam Augury) into the grave!

Yeah maybe I'm weird.

Honestly though I will pay someone $10 an hour to come help me clean up my collection and get my 11 (:sigh:) 85% complete modern decks together. +30% if you'll accept cards/boosters. Totally serious if you live in seattle hit me up. Just don't steal anything haha.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah maybe I'm weird.

Honestly though I will pay someone $10 an hour to come help me clean up my collection and get my 11 (:sigh:) 85% complete modern decks together. +30% if you'll accept cards/boosters. Totally serious if you live in seattle hit me up. Just don't steal anything haha.

I love organizing cards and I would do it if you lived in Mass :(.

Anyways, I have been watching LSV streaming Vintage Stax, and 1) it looks incredibly fun and 2) I keep wanting to get MTGO because I have decided Khans standard is the season I start playing big-boy magic at GPs and stuff, so I need more practice, but it looks so horrible and broken I just can't make myself do it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Applebees posted:

MOCS Promo

Metalworker

Holy poo poo that is just amazingly bad art.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyways, I have been watching LSV streaming Vintage Stax, and 1) it looks incredibly fun and 2) I keep wanting to get MTGO because I have decided Khans standard is the season I start playing big-boy magic at GPs and stuff, so I need more practice, but it looks so horrible and broken I just can't make myself do it.

It really is great to be able to play whenever, don't let all the whining - a fair share of which is coming from me, I'm sure - scare you away. If a playset of Wastelands weren't $600 or if Tempest drafts were at all playable (oh, you got a Portcullis? I guess I just lose.) I would probably be playing Stax now instead of RUG Delver. I'm pretty sure all I'm missing is the Wastes and Mutavaults.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It looks like something from the first myst

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Like Travis Woo.

And even then it turns out he had been thinking of a deck that someone else had come up with concurrently.

Basically, Simpsons did it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The only way to avoid accusations of netdeCking is tO brew aloNe in a cabin in the woods Like the UnabombEr, onlY making yourself knoWn tO the wOrld when you senD scrawling, typewritten manifestoS on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

I found the hidden message.

I sincerely wish Conley would put up more consistent results although IIRC he's on a playtest team w/ Ari Lax and Craig Wescoe or something.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Like Travis Woo.

I send myself sealed and dated decklists via certified mail so everyone knows I can prove that I was the first to build a deck.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I send myself sealed and dated decklists via certified mail so everyone knows I can prove that I was the first to build a deck.

i have mine notarized too

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

I ran into this a few months ago at a legacy IQ. The guy was playing slivers. Actual slivers. And not good slivers with 20 lords and Crystalline. No disruption, no Aether Vial, no spells at all that I saw. not even good lands; just 5 color slivers and stuff like Rupture Spire. He knew that if he wouldn't have had mana problems in our games (it turns out spending your first 2 turns to play a tapped rainbow land is bad) he would have wiped the floor with me. He didn't have a single creature successfully attack in either game. This is the same guy that tried to call a judge on my Delver checklist card because proxies aren't allowed, and who I explained my "cast probe for life, tap land, daze probe, replay land" (I was mana screwed and had just drawn a Confidant) half a dozen times before he pretended to understand. Clearly a master brewer. I don't remember his exact words regarding Delver netdecks, but I do remember being moderately insulted, which is quite the accomplishment, and that I could have gotten him DQ'd if I'd felt like it. But it was the last round, so screw it. Also of note, I was playing Grixis Delver which was both bad and not a net deck.

I realize you were just adding your own voice to the conversation, but I have to say I didn't expect for you to end it by saying you were playing a brew yourself (granted, with actual Good Cards in it).

It's almost like being a bad, toxic shithead is orthogonal to whether one brews one's own decks or not, and doesn't have anything to do with whether having a solved format crowding brews out of real competition (for most practical purposes) is good or bad for the game.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Boxman posted:

Holy poo poo that is just amazingly bad art.
I'm genuinely not seeing what's bad about it. It looks like a robot. Not particularly cool, but what makes it bad?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Veyrall posted:

I'm genuinely not seeing what's bad about it. It looks like a robot. Not particularly cool, but what makes it bad?

It is made with the same poo poo CG style as Gild. I'm sure if you took that picture and blew it up to its native resolution like Gild, it would look like the most flat, low effort, piece of poo poo robot. Just be glad it isn't in motion or it would look like a bad Alpha Centauri cutscene.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zoness posted:

Way to force [Chamale aka AATREK CURES KIDS] to change his name with your terrible quoting. RIP Best forum name 2014.

Your posting turns whole fields fallow and sours milk inside the cows so I don't know why your so mad dude changed his name from a rape joke, oh wait yes I do your an insufrable neck beard shitlord.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yo dude.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I want to know what they're doing to MTGO. After the last update, this program is unplayable on my laptop and lags like gently caress all on my desktop....with a 4.4 GHz processor and 32 GB of RAM. The laptop isn't exactly slacking at 2.4 GHz and 8GB.... Every weekend I'm streaming Netflix in full HD and playing poo poo in multiplayer like Civ 5 or StarCraft with maxed out graphics. No lag. Want to draft? It'll take a full minute to cast each spell :psyduck:

I just want to understand how you gently caress this up so badly :negative: It was fine a week ago, what did you do?!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Same here, when it was in beta my comp ran it fine and I could even stream it. Now that its out, it runs like complete poop and if I stream it it lags so much I start skipping phases.

Applebees posted:

This week's Magic Online Announcements has a satisfaction survey that asks about Hearthstone and some known issues that will be fixed on October 22.
"How did you first discover Magic Online?"
Through paper magic is not one of the available answers.

Who writes these things?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Who writes these things?

The same people who have to publish a list of known bugs to warn players not to do those things because they can't be bothered to fix them.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

Do you mean a promotional insert, or an announcement at a tournament, or was it mentioned by a fellow player in a casual match?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Wadjamaloo posted:

Who writes these things?

Well you you can't really discover Magic Online just through paper Magic. You can see an advertisement, a person can tell you about it, or you can read about it online, and those were options.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I honestly feel bad for the MTGO programmers. They're probably competent enough to make it work right but they're building in some relatively ancient, mostly defunct programming language aren't they? I imagine if they could start the whole thing over from scratch with a more modern language they'd have a more stable system all around and would have less trouble implementing new cards. Also they'd need to be mostly self administered rather than being completely under the thumb of another division (definitely won't happen).

:sigh: Bureaucracy rules with a fist of Red Tape. :sigh:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chamale posted:

Someone who complains about the very idea of netdecking has no clue what collaboration goes into any successful Magic deck. The eternal thread credits me with inventing Breakfast Burrito, but there was tons of work put in by Oldsrocket, and a bunch of other goons who suggested we test certain cards or did the math for some matchups.
And then there was also Adam Prosak and the MTGS boards that simultaneously created the same deck. The real question is what website did all 3 of you netdeck it from?

Applebees posted:

Well you you can't really discover Magic Online just through paper Magic. You can see an advertisement, a person can tell you about it, or you can read about it online, and those were options.
Well what I mean is that I played paper magic. I became aware of MTGO because it was immersed in the same culture, it wasn't that anyone told me, or that I saw an add, it was just part of the magic community I was already involved in.

The reason why its stupid for them to ask that question and not include paper magic is that its a question about advertisement. They ask because they want to know what forms of advertisement have best been promoting their product. With that idea in mind, nearly everyone involved in paper magic is going to become aware of MTGO passively, paper magic is advertisement for MTGO.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 15, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cernunnos posted:

I honestly feel bad for the MTGO programmers. They're probably competent enough to make it work right but they're building in some relatively ancient, mostly defunct programming language aren't they? I imagine if they could start the whole thing over from scratch with a more modern language they'd have a more stable system all around and would have less trouble implementing new cards. Also they'd need to be mostly self administered rather than being completely under the thumb of another division (definitely won't happen).

:sigh: Bureaucracy rules with a fist of Red Tape. :sigh:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if that was a major factor. It's easy to say that "well just rewrite it in a better language" is the solution, but all that really does is give us v4 (and before that, v3, and so on...).

The problems with mtgo are primarily that they have a very firm release cycle - they have four major releases a year, with no ability to move the ship date, and no ability to cut anything that won't be ready in time for release. So if scheduling constraints mean you have to cut something from a release? Well, it's going to mean that bug-fixing and cleaning up the code are the things that don't get done. With a schedule that firm, you really need enough staff to finish things well in advance of your ship date, so that you have enough time for the other things.

The fact that they're not really paying a competitive salary (and hence not really getting the best people) doesn't help either.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

And then there was also Adam Prosak and the MTGS boards that simultaneously created the same deck. The real question is what website did all 3 of you netdeck it from?

Well what I mean is that I played paper magic. I became aware of MTGO because it was immersed in the same culture, it wasn't that anyone told me, or that I saw an add, it was just part of the magic community I was already involved in.

The reason why its stupid for them to ask that question and not include paper magic is that its a question about advertisement. They ask because they want to know what forms of advertisement have best been promoting their product. With that idea in mind, nearly everyone involved in paper magic is going to become aware of MTGO passively, paper magic is advertisement for MTGO.

They have an option for word of mouth, stop being a sperg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I want to know what they're doing to MTGO. After the last update, this program is unplayable on my laptop and lags like gently caress all on my desktop....with a 4.4 GHz processor and 32 GB of RAM. The laptop isn't exactly slacking at 2.4 GHz and 8GB.... Every weekend I'm streaming Netflix in full HD and playing poo poo in multiplayer like Civ 5 or StarCraft with maxed out graphics. No lag. Want to draft? It'll take a full minute to cast each spell :psyduck:

I just want to understand how you gently caress this up so badly :negative: It was fine a week ago, what did you do?!

Step 1. Produce a beta with incredibly bad performance.
Step 2. Spend a bunch of money on contractors to fix performance.
Step 3. Slowly undo those performance gains because you don't pay enough to get programmers who understand performance very well.

• Locked thread