Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, don't watch the last season.

Gilmore Girls is a fantastic, well-written and usually well-acted show even if it did curse us with Melissa McCarthy. That said, follow Hundu's advice for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think what bothered me most about The Sacrament is that the characters seem to exist in a world that never experienced Jonestown. Found footage isn't particularly effective when it takes place in an alternate reality.

The guy who played Father did an awesome job though. And it was still a creepy film.

Yep. I think that's kind of a funny joke about horror movies, vampire films often feel obligated to talk about Dracula whereas Night of the Living Dead does not exist in zombie films (with a notable exception). However, As Above, So Below takes place in an alternate reality, and it's perfectly fine.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I always think about that when I watch TV shows and the characters are pop-culture literate but hey here's guest star Colin Farrell not playing Colin Farrell and now if anyone in this TV show ever references anything Colin Farrell has ever done reality breaks down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

Gilmore Girls is a fantastic, well-written and usually well-acted show even if it did curse us with Melissa McCarthy.

She is the literal worst in that show. It also made the same mistake as My So-Called Life in re: "incredibly smart teenage girl still falls for Christian Slater wannabe in leather jacket". True to life? Sure. Good television? I'm not so sure. Jordan Catalano again?!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I always think about that when I watch TV shows and the characters are pop-culture literate but hey here's guest star Colin Farrell not playing Colin Farrell and now if anyone in this TV show ever references anything Colin Farrell has ever done reality breaks down.

If you haven't seen Last Action Hero, jump on it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

precision posted:

She is the literal worst in that show. It also made the same mistake as My So-Called Life in re: "incredibly smart teenage girl still falls for Christian Slater wannabe in leather jacket". True to life? Sure. Good television? I'm not so sure. Jordan Catalano again?!

Not quite the literal worst

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

hope and vaseline posted:

Not quite the literal worst

He is a wonderful portrayal of the worst type of smalltown person.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't know if this got mentioned but a ton of Woody Allen just got put up. Before there was only Annie Hall, Manhattan, Purple Rose of Cairo and Scoop. But now there's also Zelig, Sleeper, Bananas, Alice, Shadows and Fog, September, Love and Death, Interiors, Stardust Memories, Radio Days, and A Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy.

edit: I forgot Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 14, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't know if this got mentioned but a ton of Woody Allen just got put up. Before there was only Annie Hall, Manhattan, Purple Rose of Cairo and Scoop. But now there's also Zelig, Sleeper, Bananas, Alice, Shadows and Fog, September, Love and Death, Interiors, Stardust Memories, Radio Days, and A Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy.

Awesome. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching Alice.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yep that child rapist sure made some good-rear end movies.

(full disclosure, I've never actually seen a Woody Allen movie. Always found him kind of irritating even before I found out he hosed a kid.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

weekly font posted:

Gilmore Girls is a fantastic, well-written and usually well-acted show even if it did curse us with Melissa McCarthy. That said, follow Hundu's advice for real.

It'd be a much easier show to watch if everything involving Rory was cut out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

this but unironically

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wagner was a filthy racist, but Siegfried's Funeral March is still my mother in law's ringtone. Most people hear his name and think of Apocalypse Now, not antisemitism.

Art transcends the artist.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 14, 2014

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Sometimes.

I can watch Chinatown without thinking about Roman Polansky's awful crimes. But because of the subject matter, good luck doing the same while you watch Manhattan.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Love and Death, Sleeper, and Take the Money and Run were three of my most watched movies as a kid, wore the the tapes out kind of watching. I've come to realize that kind of appreciation is really hard to break. Girlfriend is going to have to deal with a lot of Woody Allen this week.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Love and Death, Sleeper, and Take the Money and Run were three of my most watched movies as a kid, wore the the tapes out kind of watching. I've come to realize that kind of appreciation is really hard to break. Girlfriend is going to have to deal with a lot of Woody Allen this week.

If she wasn't on birth control before, she will be now!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Going off the tell-alls of that era, the only thing that makes Woody Allen unique among his peers is that he didn't stop when the 70s ended.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Love and Death is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and I'll definitely be putting Shocktober on pause to give it a rewatch later this week.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Dang. Dead End Drive-End was awesome. Great environments, great concept, great clothes. More recs for similar stuff on instant? Obviously I've seen Mad Max. Netflix recommended Death Machine which looks maybe cool so I might check that out next.

Also, thanks to whoever recommended Resolution a lot of pages back. Really loved the film's vibe. Would make for an interesting companion piece with Cabin in the Woods, I feel?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

weekly font posted:

It is also good because it's a show where you can listen to 3 hours worth of dialogue in under an hour!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

blood_dot_biz posted:

Netflix recommended Death Machine which looks maybe cool so I might check that out next.

Excellent. Brad Dourif somehow manages to consume half of the set. I've loved it since I bought it on VHS, sight unseen, from a display on the counter of an off license years ago (the true mark of quality.) It's the movie Alien wishes it could have been.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just watched Zelig last night. I'll probably be going through a lot of these over the next few weeks because I'd only seen a small chunk of Allen films and from what I've seen I really love his early comedies (which thankfully make up most of the Netflix selection).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVU47Q86q4o

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
After watching The Man From Nowhere and Drug War, are there any other good foreign action movies? I know about The Raid 1 & 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't see someone ask for "foreign" and "action" and not at least try to recommend them Ip Man.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
District B13 is swell.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll try Ip Man and B13, though I was searching for something more modern. I guess I was just hoping there was The Man From Nowhere sequel hidden somewhere.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Just watched the newly added Witching & Bitching, a little Spanish horror comedy by the guy that directed The Last Circus. Movie is pretty drat solid! No real scares, but got a lot of laughs out of it and the story's something new which is saying a lot for horror these days. I highly recommend you watch it!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Good news is, if you like Ip Man there's like three sequels of varying quality as well. The fighting is very similar to the kind found in The Matrix

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poopinstein posted:

Just watched the newly added Witching & Bitching, a little Spanish horror comedy by the guy that directed The Last Circus. Movie is pretty drat solid! No real scares, but got a lot of laughs out of it and the story's something new which is saying a lot for horror these days. I highly recommend you watch it!
Oh my God the trailer is awesome. I just don't know if I can read that fast. I'm hoping that the trailer was just edited together really quick?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

(full disclosure, I've never actually seen a Woody Allen movie. Always found him kind of irritating even before I found out he hosed a kid.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

One week for that? That seems excessive no matter how much you dislike the poster.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Good news is, if you like Ip Man there's like three sequels of varying quality as well. The fighting is very similar to the kind found in The Matrix

There's only one actual sequel, but there's a million "Ip Man" movies out there about the guy. They all suck except the originals.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

drunken officeparty posted:

There's only one actual sequel, but there's a million "Ip Man" movies out there about the guy. They all suck except the originals.

And The Grandmaster.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

magnificent7 posted:

Oh my God the trailer is awesome. I just don't know if I can read that fast. I'm hoping that the trailer was just edited together really quick?

Hha, it's not too bad. I did notice there's a few times that the subtitles seemed to fly by super fast, but it wasn't often and I never felt lost!

outy
Aug 27, 2004

im gay posted:

I'll try Ip Man and B13, though I was searching for something more modern. I guess I was just hoping there was The Man From Nowhere sequel hidden somewhere.

If you haven't seen The Chaser or I Saw the Devil, then you're in for a treat. More crimey than actiony but both superb. The Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) are all compulsory viewing too. Poignant, beautiful and thrilling.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

One week for that? That seems excessive no matter how much you dislike the poster.

It's not about like or dislike. Probations tend to get more severe if you make the same types of bad posts over and over again. If you look at his rap sheet, you will see that is the case.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

im gay posted:

After watching The Man From Nowhere and Drug War, are there any other good foreign action movies? I know about The Raid 1 & 2.

Seconding I Saw the Devil & The Chaser. Also try Yellow Sea. I hope you like hatchets.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Watched Filth got bored 2/3 of the way in. Maybe I just thought it would be something it wasn't; but by the end I was just glad it was over, no matter how "shocking" the "big twist ending" was.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Watched Filth got bored 2/3 of the way in. Maybe I just thought it would be something it wasn't; but by the end I was just glad it was over, no matter how "shocking" the "big twist ending" was.

Father than I could handle it. I tried twice and couldn't get past the first twenty minutes. Trailer gave it a Snatch/Rock N Rolla vibe, but it was nothing close to that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Watched Contracted last night. It wasn't very good. It felt like it was some sort of subtle Christian movie with an agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Alterian posted:

Watched Contracted last night. It wasn't very good. It felt like it was some sort of subtle Christian movie with an agenda.

Mostly boring but the last few minutes were hilarious.

• Locked thread